Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34348495051525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1126
Like Tree67Likes
    I contacted them about the crack on my used TP and they sent a box overnight. It is nowhere near as bad as the ones in the pics above. It was 2 straight cracks that I could feel with the fingers. I only sent it back because I did not want it to get any worse which seem very likely from the stories in this post.

That was about a week and a half ago and I am getting it back this Monday 4/30. I will let you know what kind of job the repair dept did on it and hoping that I get the one I sent in back.

Guess we will see. Fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Got my TP at Firesale time in Aug.
    No cracks all good.
    One month ago (March 2012) I also got a Touchstone for it.
    2 weeks ago ~~Cracks~~ appeared! (Exactly as per Steve's pix above).
    I link the cracking with the Touchstone and the enequal heat generated/distributed.. I may be wrong.. it *may* be just 'coincidence'.
    One bit of speaker surround (the sliver between the speaker and the screen where it is thinnest) cracked right through and flapping around.
    Got 2-part epoxy resin glue in there.. then treated it as Automotive bodywork.. a light rub with 1200 grade wet & dry carburundum paper and a quick polish with a good paint-cutting compound.. and presto.. You can't even FEEL the crack now.. probably stronger than new.. and without all the hassles & 'BS' of HP's 'repair' dept. stuffing me around!

I think the HP design team, in order to get a (scratch resistant) SHINE on that black plastic, also had to settle for a very hard and therefore also very brittle compound.. thus the cracks.. that stuff is just NOT in any way 'stretchy' or flexible!

So Guys, 'DIY' is OK too you know!

It's only a case after all - the 'engine' inside it still works fine as ever!

I bet GrandPa's shiny new black Model T Ford had a few dints in it after 9 months too!

Cheers!

I got my TP during the firesale, too. I've always used a touchstone (except for a few days when 3.0.4 decreased the connection and I had to get a different cover that would work with the touchstone) and I haven't had any cracks yet...I don't think it's the touchstone causing the cracks. I bought two other TPs for my family--they use touchstones, too, and no cracks yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Got my TP at Firesale time in Aug.
    No cracks all good.
    One month ago (March 2012) I also got a Touchstone for it.
    2 weeks ago ~~Cracks~~ appeared! (Exactly as per Steve's pix above).
    I link the cracking with the Touchstone and the enequal heat generated/distributed.. I may be wrong.. it *may* be just 'coincidence'.
    One bit of speaker surround (the sliver between the speaker and the screen where it is thinnest) cracked right through and flapping around.
    Got 2-part epoxy resin glue in there.. then treated it as Automotive bodywork.. a light rub with 1200 grade wet & dry carburundum paper and a quick polish with a good paint-cutting compound.. and presto.. You can't even FEEL the crack now.. probably stronger than new.. and without all the hassles & 'BS' of HP's 'repair' dept. stuffing me around!

I think the HP design team, in order to get a (scratch resistant) SHINE on that black plastic, also had to settle for a very hard and therefore also very brittle compound.. thus the cracks.. that stuff is just NOT in any way 'stretchy' or flexible!

So Guys, 'DIY' is OK too you know!

It's only a case after all - the 'engine' inside it still works fine as ever!

I bet GrandPa's shiny new black Model T Ford had a few dints in it after 9 months too!

Cheers!

I tend to agree with you on there, my unit has always been sitting on the TouchStone Charger until I had the idea of just checking upon the speaker(just out of curiosity to check for cracks). Maybe the weight of the HP TouchPad against the holder of the touchstone might be causing that cracks around the speaker grills. I removed the unit from the TouchStone charger let's just hope that there is no more developing cracks around the speaker.

HP should had used stronger metallic materials in the constructions of the device, no wonder why people weren't buying TouchPad when it came out. If I would have known about this issue, could had spent my money on a better quality-built tablet.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Metallic materials + Touchstone = Fail.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I've got a touchpad I had as backup in the box brand new never opened(except to observe when I got it) never touched, I looked at it the other day and there are cracks developing on it! (that were not there when I got it)

Sent from a Hpre², HPre³,HPTP 16/32 using Communities.
    Last edited by Balooz; 04/29/2012 at 01:25 AM.
    I now have 3 Touchpads (one for me, one for the wife, one for kids - backup) and all were bought used as I missed the sale and new ones are overpriced by scalpers.

The first two are perfect, no cracks or any defect that I can see. The last one I got, the cracks by the speakers are there, but also, I can easily notice where the light sensor is, the plastic isn't as dark as on my other two.

Coincidences that the darker ones (can't see he light sensor) aren't cracked and the other that appears to be different has the cracks?

I've looked around to see if they did different types/runs using different materials or did a fix but nothing.

Anyone knows?
    Well, I got mine back after about a week and it was the same one I sent in (same serial number). It looks like they replace the entire case. Sucks that they ripped off the screen protector I had on it so now I gonna go get another one to place on it. Gosh I hate the possible little bubbles under the protector when fitting it on.

Everything looks ok except the empty little panel below the volume rocker switch is a little indented in and totally not flushed with case. I can't complain hoping this replacement case will keep from cracking but only time will tell.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Damn, and I thought I had taken such good care of my TP.

Speaker cracks. This thing is never outside of its case--it's even in the case when it's on the freaking Touchstone--but somehow it's got speaker cracks.

Will have to contact HP about this. Grr.
    I sometimes wonder if its the case squeezing the plastic too hard along with the heat from charging via touchstone or usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdude450 View Post
    I sometimes wonder if its the case squeezing the plastic too hard along with the heat from charging via touchstone or usb.
    I think it's a bad batch/batches of the plastic part of the case combined with the design. From what I have seen in almost the year since launch (wow it's been that long) there is no rhyme or reason to who is getting cracks.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdude450 View Post
    My assumption is that there is some use pattern (playing CPU-intensive games? playing movies, streaming videos?) that causes the Touchpad to heat up. The heat has to dissipate through every opening in the case, which is largely the speaker grills, but other areas too, such as around the power switch, the volume rocker, the USB port, etc. Combined with a bad batch of plastic that was too brittle or susceptible to exposure to such heat, you get the cracks.

But the other outcome that reinforces my thinking on this is the impact it has on the rubberized case from HP. I have a couple of these accessories and both of them have a certain amount of warp that is occurring at the edge of the rubber case near the openings described above (less the speakers which are not covered by the rubber case). The Touchpad (and its rubberized case) that is used and abused by my kids who play all manner of games that would tax the CPU is much worse than mine which is used for low-CPU functions like simple web browsing and email.

I'm assuming the people who haven't seen cracks are not heavy users of CPU-intensive apps or have not encountered scenarios that would heat up the device. I think it has little to do with how the device is held, whether it is on a Touchstone charger, or whether it has been in a protective case.

I'm also assuming the people who have sent their Touchpads in for repair/replacement are getting new backings/casings that are made from a better mix of plastic that holds up better to heat.

I'm also assuming that HP knew this was a problem early on and realized they had a massive recall on their hands so they elected to go the firesale route to make the problem go away. But what I can't figure out is why did they agree to continue to pay for these repairs/replacements on heavily discounted devices? I think they could have gotten away with reducing the warranty on firesale units to 30 or 90 days and avoided a chunk of the ongoing costs they are continuing to hemorrhage on repairs/replacement of cracked backs.

I don't know that I will ever understand the business decision around how HP has handled sale and warranty of these Touchpads.
    Faeq Hussain likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdunnough View Post
    I'm also assuming that HP knew this was a problem early on and realized they had a massive recall on their hands so they elected to go the firesale route to make the problem go away.
    I can say this is completely incorrect. Everything else, could be a possibility, the fire sale nope. They sold these devices at normal retail locations with full warranty. The fire sale has and always will be about Leo Apotheker making bad business decisions.

If they had wanted to sell them sans warranty, they could have easily done what they did with the Pre3.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I bought my 32G Wifi Touchpad off Craigslist two weeks ago in Vancouver, Canada, with a crack at the right speaker. I checked the HP website and found it was still under warranty. I phoned HP and said I'd heard cracks were a common problem and covered by warranty. The rep said yes and they would send me a box. Blah, blah, blah. I got my Touchpad back today, or should I say a "fully tested reconditioned device configured with the factory default setting" because the serial number is different. I checked the serial number of the one I got and the warranty is 2 weeks longer than the one I sent in. So whatever, for something I got off CL with an unknown past to a like new factory piece, I'm not complaining. Still the cheapest tablet I could get.
    mime got cracked around speakers a few weeks ago.

i called hp and they sent another one to me. unfortunately, the replacement had noise coming from speakers when touching screen or pushing buttons. i had to send it back. and hp sent me another replacement. this time, the screen did not rotate. i sent i back once more.

last week, i got the third replacement. it seemed no issue so far. but experience was not much fun.

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by wf201626 View Post
    mime got cracked around speakers a few weeks ago.

i called hp and they sent another one to me. unfortunately, the replacement had noise coming from speakers when touching screen or pushing buttons. i had to send it back. and hp sent me another replacement. this time, the screen did not rotate. i sent i back once more.

last week, i got the third replacement. it seemed no issue so far. but experience was not much fun.

Frank
    I feel you. After numerous repairs and advanced replacements, I got a decent performer and slapped a carbon fiber pattern skin on the back to hold it together. Been great for months now.
    Nice job repairing mine in short order (I think it took less than 10 days).
    They replaced the battery too which I did not ask for. Interesting, that the new battery has a lower charge, though, than the last one so now I have 99% at 5600 rather than 92% at 6200 or something like that.
    I'm hoping that the recent slowdown in entries here means that HP has finally gotten this problem solved. Here is my experience. I called the toll-free number and relatively quickly had a representative on the line. He checked my serial number and verified that I had about three months of hardware warranty left. He asked forj a picture of the cracks and put me on hold while I emailed it to him. I had to send a second picture because the first picture did not show that the cracks were associated with the speaker opening. The second picture showed the cracks and the speaker opening to his satisfaction. However the rep said that the crack was too large and was the result of abuse. I replied that the Touchpad had never been dropped, let alone abused. About three times he said that he talked to his supervisor and that the crack was the result of abuse. I finally told him curtly that they had sold me a poorly designed and constructed unit and that I would talk to his supervisor, and the next, and the next until they agreed to fix my Touchpad. Finally he agreed to send me the magic box, etc., etc. I'll bet they're tired of dealing with this problem.
    Dream on - more likely people have finally realised that yet another "me too" posts adds no real value. The cracks are due to a fundamental design flaw, it's never going to be fixed so either chance your arm on a repair or just dab on a bit of superglue and be done with it.
    my 64 gig tp had a crack also by the speaker.I sent it back,they sent out a new one,which now also has a crack by the speaker.Ill keep it and ignore the crack by the speaker,I just won't buy hp ever again.Expect a three week turnaround.
    Mine didn't crack after the second repair.

That said, i always seem to find a crack whenever I check after reading this thread so I'm not going to check
    *knock on plastic*
    sledge007 likes this.