Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2424748495051525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1126
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by woge14 View Post
    Best to CALL HP and get the SRO (repair order#)
    I used chat twice and BOTH times they failed to get proper work done

I would also suggest posting a note to the screen that the Case has Cracks.

You should be good to go. Make sure you copy the UPS shipping number (or take a pic of the label) of the unit you send back.

HP TOuchpad service: 877-426-3777

Good Luck
    I agree with putting a note with it. The first time I sent it in, it didn't get repaired. The second time, I added a note explaining about the crack and it got repaired.
    TP left for HP on 2/28...arrived back 3/05, repaired...so far no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomMD View Post
    TP left for HP on 2/28...arrived back 3/05, repaired...so far no problems.
    Did u check the s/n to make sure it is in fact, YOUR original TP?
    Thank you kindly,
    Rosy
    I am a day one Touchpad owner, who recently had the issue also. HP repaired it under warranty, and returned my original machine. I am happy again! miserable while it was gone but very happy now!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosystreasures View Post
    Did u check the s/n to make sure it is in fact, YOUR original TP?
    Yes, same one. They took off my screen protector though, but I applied another.
    So, after posting on here several months ago about not understanding how other's have cracks on their TP, I FINALLY HAVE GOT MY FIRST CRACKS! WOO HOO! The odd thing about my cracks are they are NOT by the speakers. The cracks on my TP, which are so hairline and fine, are nearby the plugged slot on the same side as the volume control. There are several and they are pretty unnoticeable.

So, it took me about 7 months until I've noticed my first cracks. My wife's TP, however, has no cracks at all. I'm beginning to think these cracks are due to heat and cold expansion issues. I use my TP at school, leave it in the car during hot days, take it everywhere. My wife just leaves hers at home. I have dropped my TP once and it has caused a chip on the side plastic, but I haven't seen any cracks since then.

Anyways, chalk me up as another TP owner with a cracked case.
    Why, oh why!
    What have I done to deserve this cruel fate befall on me!

I'm just kidding but yep. Got a crack on my speaker too. Bought the official HP case alongside the firesale and kept it in there all the time, never dropped it, never handled it roughly, did take it with me on a road trip but stayed in the pouch most of the time.

Was using it again today, noticed something unusual along the bottom of the speaker, it was the long- fabled and feared crack! It was like seeing the legend come alive with my own eyes.

So, I'm seeing bunch of different advises on what I should be doing with one general consensus that the repair guys need a note to explain what's going on and that shipping takes forever.

I have a feeling that this will be more bothersome than I'd like with me living in Canada and all. -_-

*Edit: After reading bunch of the posts on this thread, I'm even afraid to send it in for repair now *shivers
    What do you say guys, should I take the risk? Or live with it?
    This actually made me even more appalled that HP was trying to sell this thing for $499 a pop now. Unfinished software at release, flawed hardware design, poor support etc etc.
    Last edited by dong1225; 04/03/2012 at 08:18 PM.
    I have sent mine back 2x to get repaired, the second time I only had it back for about 2 weeks
    Each time it only took about a week to get it back
    That was in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    Why, oh why!
    What have I done to deserve this cruel fate befall on me!

I'm just kidding but yep. Got a crack on my speaker too. Bought the official HP case alongside the firesale and kept it in there all the time, never dropped it, never handled it roughly, did take it with me on a road trip but stayed in the pouch most of the time.

Was using it again today, noticed something unusual along the bottom of the speaker, it was the long- fabled and feared crack! It was like seeing the legend come alive with my own eyes.

So, I'm seeing bunch of different advises on what I should be doing with one general consensus that the repair guys need a note to explain what's going on and that shipping takes forever.

I have a feeling that this will be more bothersome than I'd like with me living in Canada and all. -_-

*Edit: After reading bunch of the posts on this thread, I'm even afraid to send it in for repair now *shivers
    What do you say guys, should I take the risk? Or live with it?
    This actually made me even more appalled that HP was trying to sell this thing for $499 a pop now. Unfinished software at released, flawed hardware design, poor support etc etc.
    I took less than 2 weeks return each time I sent mine back. (Ontario Canada) Don't expect yours back though, you'll get a replacement. The second one I got back was just like brand new. I am told that the new cases are better, and since it is under warranty, I took the chance to get mine replaced.
    So far so good, and I would send it back again if (hopefully not when) it cracks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    I took less than 2 weeks return each time I sent mine back. (Ontario Canada) Don't expect yours back though, you'll get a replacement. The second one I got back was just like brand new. I am told that the new cases are better, and since it is under warranty, I took the chance to get mine replaced.
    So far so good, and I would send it back again if (hopefully not when) it cracks again.
    Thanks for the help guys! I live in BC, but I'm guessing it won't matter much so I guess I'll try sending it in just to get the "new" one that supposedly won't have this problem.

I was really having fun with CM9 too. It's going to be sad to part from it for weeks :'-(

But man, if this kind of problem happened on an iPad, people would go nuts on Apple's ***, everyone would be reporting "the crack-gate" and demanding recall. lol
    Mine is in an HP case and doesn't have cracks after 6 months of use. I guess I am lucky.
    mine cracked completely in less than a minute after layingin the sun and being wiped off with a damp cloth. I could hear it cracking. 6 Cracks , 4 above the speakerswith parts falling off and 2 under the speakers one of at least 3 cm. Now it's hanging together with tape, i live in belgium so no guarantee for me
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I just called HP to send mine in for the first time (the cracks are pretty long now) and the guy had the balls to tell me that it was physical damage done to the device and that i would have to pay 200$ to have it fixed (i only payed 150 to buy it wth) So i finally got him to realize that it was the defect that they all have and he gave me a service repair order number and is sending me a box this weel. He said that the process takes 7-10 business days. I also talked to his supervisot and made it clear that i want mine back but neither could confirm that for me they just both made notes in the ticket.

Ive had one million times better service with having my paintball gun repaired by a small company (GoG) and i even talked to the tech and he had my gun repaired and shipped out in the same day. The fact that Hp's support is so bad just baffles me.

I will post updates as i get them.

/rant
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I just spoke with HP this am and they are sending me a box. Im a little nervous but I may as well attempt to have it fixed while I still can. (I am also in Canada, we shall see)
    to any who had a replacement come back, what sort of condition was it in? I assume they could not send you a piece of garbage...?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    So the cracks by my speakers are getting pretty bad - called and got the box and I have it now to send back. But I need to unroot 1st - does anyone have a link?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by manuarmata View Post
    mine cracked completely in less than a minute after layingin the sun and being wiped off with a damp cloth. I could hear it cracking. 6 Cracks , 4 above the speakerswith parts falling off and 2 under the speakers one of at least 3 cm. Now it's hanging together with tape, i live in belgium so no guarantee for me
    Hp has a repair center in England which they cooperate with. I live in the Netherlands. Once sent in my !AT&T! Veer for repair. Just contact the HP costumer service, they'll give you a repair number and an UPS account number for shipping it free of charge.

Btw I do have the same cracks, also with parts falling off, after less then 3 weeks of use. Think I'll send it in myself in about 2 weeks.
    Hi All,

Add me to the list of HP touchpad owners with a cracked case by both speakers. I have kept my touchpad in the official HP case since purchase and took it out this weekend as I could feel something under the case and found that it was cracked badly by one speaker and on the other speaker the case had cracked and the piece of plastic that covered the speaker had snapped off.

I contacted HP straight away and they are refusing to repair it saying I left it too long to send back and should of contacted them when I first saw the cracks, which is actually what I did. I read the limited warranty and it says cracks are not covered so I guess I am up the creek without a paddle. Has anyone else had this or got any advice on whether it is worth pursuing any further?

Photos attached

Thanks

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewebster_pfc View Post
    Hi All,

Add me to the list of HP touchpad owners with a cracked case by both speakers. I have kept my touchpad in the official HP case since purchase and took it out this weekend as I could feel something under the case and found that it was cracked badly by one speaker and on the other speaker the case had cracked and the piece of plastic that covered the speaker had snapped off.

I contacted HP straight away and they are refusing to repair it saying I left it too long to send back and should of contacted them when I first saw the cracks, which is actually what I did. I read the limited warranty and it says cracks are not covered so I guess I am up the creek without a paddle. Has anyone else had this or got any advice on whether it is worth pursuing any further?

Photos attached

Thanks

Steve
    Call again being super nice and point out that:
    A: It's not cosmetic if the cracks are reaching towards the screen
    B: Since plastic came off you're worried about things getting inside your unit, not cosmetic
    C: You didn't notice the cracks earlier because it was in their case the whole time and you're trying to fix this before it gets really bad(screen falls out and cuts puppies).

If you can fix it yourself though do, there are plenty of repair horror stories on here and from personal experience I'd say there's a 30%ish percent chance you'll get a unit with an even worse problem back
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    It appears that you have a clear full body skin protector on your TouchPad.
    If so, was it a wet or dry application and what brand/model of skin is it?
    Did you install the skin before or after you had any signs of cracks?

I puchased my TouchPad during the HP refurb. sale (90 day warranty).
    Although the device I received appeared brand new, I still had to have it repaired because one of the speakers did not work out of the box.
    The repaired device received was my original unit and I was 100% satisfied with HP's results and their repair proccess (10 days).
    Then about 1 week before the warranty expired, I removed the device from it's Poetic Protective TPU Skin Case (installed the 1st day after the repaired device was received back) to inspect for cracks.
    There was 1 crack at each speaker port (both about 1/16") and a 1" crack on the back of the device that started from the USB port.
    I had these cracks covered under the warranty period and the device repaired again.
    As in repair #1, the device received from repair #2 was my original unit and I was again 100% satisfied with HP's results and their repair proccess (10 days).

Some have posted that a full body skin may help prevent the cracks from happening, so right after receiving repair #2 back, I installed the Skinomi TechSkin - HP TouchPad Skin Protector in hopes that I won't ever see cracks develop again, but your pics appear to show otherwise.

Do as bable suggests and try calling again.
    Got my TP at Firesale time in Aug.
    No cracks all good.
    One month ago (March 2012) I also got a Touchstone for it.
    2 weeks ago ~~Cracks~~ appeared! (Exactly as per Steve's pix above).
    I link the cracking with the Touchstone and the enequal heat generated/distributed.. I may be wrong.. it *may* be just 'coincidence'.
    One bit of speaker surround (the sliver between the speaker and the screen where it is thinnest) cracked right through and flapping around.
    Got 2-part epoxy resin glue in there.. then treated it as Automotive bodywork.. a light rub with 1200 grade wet & dry carburundum paper and a quick polish with a good paint-cutting compound.. and presto.. You can't even FEEL the crack now.. probably stronger than new.. and without all the hassles & 'BS' of HP's 'repair' dept. stuffing me around!

I think the HP design team, in order to get a (scratch resistant) SHINE on that black plastic, also had to settle for a very hard and therefore also very brittle compound.. thus the cracks.. that stuff is just NOT in any way 'stretchy' or flexible!

So Guys, 'DIY' is OK too you know!

It's only a case after all - the 'engine' inside it still works fine as ever!

I bet GrandPa's shiny new black Model T Ford had a few dints in it after 9 months too!

Cheers!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/23/2012 at 09:14 PM.
    bable likes this.