Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910 15 55 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rono cluck View Post
    Add mine to the cracked list. No reason to exchange these though, they're all going to crack in the same place.
    Yes I also have a small crack and see no reason to replace since the problem will come back until they fix it. The design is flawed and unless my crack gets worse...I see no reason to fix it.

Actually, has anyones hairline crack gotten worse?

Also note, I'm covered by repair and replacement coverage no deductible for 2 years and if things get bad enough, it will be fixed, replaced, or I'll get my money back (I love Squaretrade). Sorli...
    well dangnabbit; after reading this, I checked mine. It has cracks by both speakers; both are by the sides of the speaker closest to the center. Maybe it was because I tend to have the volume all the way up??? ;-)

Currently thinking "ditto" to not exchanging if it'll do the same thing again...
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the only advantage in swapping it now is that you are still within your store warranty and get a new one... and you hope it doesnt crack. if it does then you use your factory warranty... but it will be a refurb. i personally hate refurbs.
    Hummmm, do I get a store warranty when I purchased it directly from HP with the 20% employee discount?

-Skippy
    well... if you wanna go through it... you call them and say it came out of box with a crack... just noticed it and as far as you can tell it came out the box that way and you want to return it... otherwise they will tell you to call support. get your credit and then order another with your employee discount.

or if you dont mind a refurb, then just call and get the refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Hummmm, do I get a store warranty when I purchased it directly from HP with the 20% employee discount?

-Skippy
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    So I got a 2nd one after the crack, and lo and behold, IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!! ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    Sorry to hear that and yes I don't see replacements and newer designs to come anytime soon from HP or otherwise. If the problem gets back enough, they'll fix it, but that hasn't happened yet. Still a bummer and sorry anyone is having this problem. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    got my replacement today. it is indeed a refurb. i've got it in the case straight away this time, so we'll see if that makes a difference. my original went caseless for about 2 weeks.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Sorry to hear that and yes I don't see replacements and newer designs to come anytime soon from HP or otherwise. If the problem gets back enough, they'll fix it, but that hasn't happened yet. Still a bummer and sorry anyone is having this problem. Sorli...
    They said if it happens a 3rd time they will escalate the issue for me or something. I referred them to this thread, so they could see that others are having the issue as well. My original Sprint pre has a similar crack from the usb port area. I never bothered replacing that, because I figured the Pre 3 would be coming, but who knows if that is happening.

I wish they would create a solid device. They definitely need to take a few pointers from apple on that one. My sisters ipad2 still is in perfect condition, and its like i wouldn't fear laying that down on a table normally, rather than taking 15 seconds to make sure its a gentle lay down so as to avoid was was inevitable anyway.
    wow. almost like deja vu... almost 2 years and month ago today...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...your-pres.html

I hope they do look at this thread and this issue seriously... and fix it fast if it truely is a design flaw this time. stop the exchanges at 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    This is defiantly some funny Stuff.....

I'm so glad to see that HP has not fixed Palm!

This is the one reason I'm glad Sprint will not get HP products anymore!

I have kept my day one Pre- waiting for the next big thing.

I told myself that I wouldn't by the touchpad until the Pre3 was available.

This might have just helped my derision to get the Ehco......

I'm sure I will be glad I waited!
    Bought my TouchPad from BestBuy in New Jersey on day 'one', ie. July 1st. Brought it back with me to India on July 6th and have been using it here since then. Today I picked up the TouchPad and I felt something on my fingers. At first I thought it was some dirt or something and I instinctively picked up the micro fibre cloth, yes I keep one handy all the time, and tried to clean the TP. Which is when I noticed that it was actually a crack starting from the right speaker. From this thread it is obvious that this is a common issue and to some extent even recognized as an issue by HP themselves. Unfortunately for me I am not sure what my options are, considering that I have the TouchPad here in India. Even if I were to somehow get ti back to the US, I don't think BestBuy will take it back anymore, since it is past their 'fourteen' day return period. As for trying to have it replaced by HP, means I could be stuck with a refurbished TP with scratches etc. and then at the end of it there seems to be no guarantee that the replacement TP will also not develop a crack. Seriously HP, did you have to literally inherit all of Palm's flaws.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Would more of you with this problem mind posting pictures here of the cracked area?
    NNJ
    The crack..

AND, I got a NEW replacement from Amazon!! soooooooo I have 3 touchpads right now! LMAO! The refurb is going back to HP tomorrow!

BTW- Amazon is the BEST! I just sent an email asking if I could get a replacement on a defective device without my UPC and they said NO PROBLEM, shipped a new on overnight WITHOUT charging me a deposit!! (like HP did!)

donm527 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckeyJane View Post
    The crack..

AND, I got a NEW replacement from Amazon!! soooooooo I have 3 touchpads right now! LMAO! The refurb is going back to HP tomorrow!

BTW- Amazon is the BEST! I just sent an email asking if I could get a replacement on a defective device without my UPC and they said NO PROBLEM, shipped a new on overnight WITHOUT charging me a deposit!! (like HP did!)

Lol, nice indeed. Be careful with it this time, dont get cracks again.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    thanks for posting your experience with Amazon. My return/exchange window closes on 8/6 so I've got a few more days to decide what to do. My crack isn't as bad as yours - it's a straight line between the edge of the speaker and the screen. and since it is more than likely to occur again (since I didn't do anything to cause this one) I should probably stick with this 'known' problem rather than take a chance on another unit... tough decision!

Amazon was awesome about the exchange on my TouchStone - I had the replacement the next day, dropped the defective one in the mail with the label they had me print. super easy!
    Well, this is definitely a manufacturing issue. I checked mine after seeing this thread and I have a crack at the right speaker as well. I will check my wife's when I get home later today.

I'm not going to return it though. It can't spread beyond where it is and it doesn't affect the operation in any way, and any replacement will crack just as easily. It's not that I don't want one without a crack, it's that repeatedly taking them back only causes me more time and work setting each one up again.

I will pass the word along to some folks at HP and maybe they will take care of it differently.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    my thought was along the same line where why bother exchanging it if its a manufacturers defect and you're just gonna get another that may crack.

but then thinking... if i am gonna spend that much money and within my 30 days for exchange... might as well exchange and hope to get lucky with one that may not crack nearterm and the exchange is new. at least you get another new one. near the end of year if it cracks then you can get a refurb.

if you take forum owners as a small sample and imagine spread out geographically, i kinda feel this is a pretty high number of people reporting this and its a real issue.

Do the speaker holes look like they are created in the mold or drilled out after? there was a thread of people saying sharp corners at the speaker hole so maybe its the latter and the drilling is causing stress? hope they read these threads and adjusting quick.

Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    thanks for posting your experience with Amazon. My return/exchange window closes on 8/6 so I've got a few more days to decide what to do. My crack isn't as bad as yours - it's a straight line between the edge of the speaker and the screen. and since it is more than likely to occur again (since I didn't do anything to cause this one) I should probably stick with this 'known' problem rather than take a chance on another unit... tough decision!

Amazon was awesome about the exchange on my TouchStone - I had the replacement the next day, dropped the defective one in the mail with the label they had me print. super easy!
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    after seeing the picture of BeckeyJane's crack, in this last hour or so I've decided I'll stick with what I have - mine is VERY easy to live with compared to that! I was unable to get a decent pic with my Pre2, I'll try again with the 'real' camera as a comparison
    Hmmm no cracks on mine yet. I got it July 15th. I'm careful not to bump mine or anything though. I figure superglu on a toothpick would probably stop it for those with cracks. I have a small crack on my Pre minus usb door port, but thats after 2 years and it hasn't gotten worse.
    I noticed this in store. Here's my post from June 25th.

I also noticed a crack on the right side of screen which looked as if it went across the plastic to the charger port.

Yes, you could live with it if it doesn't get worse. But it hurts the value of trying to resell later. And heck, i'm nuts about wiping dust/oil off my screen. This wouldn't sit well with me.