Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    They didn't repair my latest...replaced it. The refurb looks good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    I wonder if the heat generated by charging on the Touchstone could in some way increase the brittleness of the plastic?

Superglue has worked a treat for me so far, stopped the crack in its tracks. Really don't see the point of a never ending round of repairs to HP, this case design is flawed, end of. Accept it as flawed and keep a tube of superglue handy or sell it, but returning it to HP every time is just pointless as it will crack again eventually.
    It will crack with or without the Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
    They didn't repair my latest...replaced it. The refurb looks good though.
    yeah that seems to be the case sometimes. Luck of the draw I guess. Its one of the reasons I've been holding off on sending mine in since its otherwise perfect and I have the larger cap battery and beter sound chip. Both if which I would hate to lose besides the risk of getting a faulty or mistreated unit back.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomMD View Post
    Box arrived a day later, pretty amazing. Transferring data, wiping, sending back, quick! I will be using my wife's modded TP for the next week, now that I put OS2.0 on her Playbook, she can use her playbook for now. Fun stuff. I am also the only one out of the 6 TP owners I know for this to happen, and I'm the one who got half of them their touchpads, ironic, and the one who modded all of theirs.

I don't have a touchstone charger, and was I was very careful with the touchpad, so I think this is a design flaw. It looks like the rubber around the screen expands and contracts due to the seal, and heat dissipation...expansion and contraction on the plastic eventually cracks. If I develop the hairline cracks again, I will make sure to super glue it right there and then instead of waiting for the cracks to expand even more until the part of the plastic comes out, then it had to be repaired.
    that was quick. Let us know how it goes and when you get your to back. Btw mine first cracked too before I got the touchstone. In fact I noticed it after powering it down for the night when I woke up the next morning. It was also after I first used the speakers at medium volume for a period of time which was interesting but probably just a coincidence. I'll probably glue mine too if it cracks again after repair that is whenever I can find the time to send it in so the plastic doesn't wind up cracking completely through again or wind up breaking off leaving holes near the speakers. I still wonder if a skin cover over the speaker area might help. My problem is I already have the stock touchpAd case so they might not fit.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 03/02/2012 at 04:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    yeah that seems to be the case sometimes. Luck of the draw I guess. Its one of the reasons I've been holding off on sending mine in since its otherwise perfect and I have the larger cap battery and beter sound chip. Both if which I would hate to lose besides the risk of getting a faulty or mistreated unit back.
    How do you know you had a better battery and sound chipset?
    Do you guys remove the preware when you send it out for repair? My TP developed cracks around the headphone jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    I still wonder if a skin cover over the speaker area might help. My problem is I already have the stock touchpAd case so they might not fit.
    The Skinomi Carbon Fiber tech skin fit's fine in the HP OEM case...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    The Skinomi Carbon Fiber tech skin fit's fine in the HP OEM case...
    Yes but sad to have to put a skin on a brand new product just to keep it from falling apart.
    I just recieved the box to ship my touchpad back to hp for repairs. I just dont understand why they have to wipe the device and restore it to factory settings before sending it back. There is nothing wrong with the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    I just recieved the box to ship my touchpad back to hp for repairs. I just dont understand why they have to wipe the device and restore it to factory settings before sending it back. There is nothing wrong with the software.
    It's because they don't want to have to give you your TP back. They just throw them in a pile to be repaired and send you back one that is supposed to be repaired. But I as I found out...they sent me one that didn't work! I sent it back for a cracked case and got one that had a defective, non functioning screen....frustrating!~
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    It's because they don't want to have to give you your TP back. They just throw them in a pile to be repaired and send you back one that is supposed to be repaired. But I as I found out...they sent me one that didn't work! I sent it back for a cracked case and got one that had a defective, non functioning screen....frustrating!~
    They better send me back the same one. It is in mint condition besides the speaker crack. I even wrote the serial number down and pit on a screen protector so the idiots wouldnt scratch it.
    They better send me back the same one. It is in mint condition besides the speaker crack. I even wrote the serial number down and pit on a screen protector so the idiots wouldnt scratch it.
    LOL good luck with that. I did the same thing, even put a sticky note on it saying I wanted mine back fixed or return the old one with the cracked case back to me. Instead I got someone else P.O.S. that didn't work and no screen protector. This time I did the same thing again and asked to to try to find my original (provided the original serial number) but I think they will just laugh at my note.
    If this one isn't perfect I will be lodging a very sternly worded complaint to HP.
    That should get me a brand one one! ....Right!
    We can never guarantee you will receive your same unit back.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts

You do guarantee we will receive a unit back right? I'm just so scared to let mine out of my sight! I'm kidding, but I do worry how long you will have replacement units to send back out.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You do guarantee we will receive a unit back right? I'm just so scared to let mine out of my sight! I'm kidding, but I do worry how long you will have replacement units to send back out.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    They aren't sending you a new replacement unit, they are sending you someone else's repaired unit.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm tempted to do it... how exactly do I back up all of my data so that I can restore all of my apps, patches, theme, etc. when it gets back?
    They aren't sending you a new replacement unit, they are sending you someone else's repaired unit.
    It does seems like you have a 50/50 chance of getting yours back since some people here have got theirs back while others got a refurb back. When did you send yours in? that might be somewhat of a clue to rather they sent you refurb instead of a repair.

Myself I'm still debating on rather to send mine it especially since its cracked so badly it has a hole it near one of the speakers. On one hand I dont want to risk getting someone elses refurb unit back since everything else perfect but then on the other I'm afraid if I do nothing my TP will die due to hardware failure shortly after the warranty expires. So I'm stuck in limbo. decisions...decisions...
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    While that is the exact opposite of what the csr said to me on the phone. She guaranteed that I would get the same unit back because I made it a point to ask.
    While that is the exact opposite of what the csr said to me on the phone. She guaranteed that I would get the same unit back because I made it a point to ask.
    I asked AND I taped a note on the screen (with the serial number on it) ...so did my co-worker. Neither of us got ours back! If this one comes back and I am not 100% satisfied I will try to get a brand new one.
    (ha ha good luck with that!)
    I apologize that you was misinformed.

I asked AND I taped a note on the screen (with the serial number on it) ...so did my co-worker. Neither of us got ours back! If this one comes back and I am not 100% satisfied I will try to get a brand new one.
    (ha ha good luck with that!)
    We do not have new units to provide. There is zero stock of new units.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts