Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 384344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Ditto. Cracked beside both speakers. The plastic used is just too brittle it seems.
    Just how hard would it be for HP to buy an Ipad, take it apart, and see why theirs don't crack???
    are the iPad speakers set up like the TP?
    I have a crack too, but mine is at the bottom right side while in portrait.I don't know if HP can help me, because I'm yet another one who imported an HP Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Just how hard would it be for HP to buy an Ipad, take it apart, and see why theirs don't crack???
    Metal vs. Plastic.....lol.
    Mine also cracked by the speaker, and its never been so much as bumped. :0(
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
    Metal vs. Plastic.....lol.
    Not to mention its a completely different design. I'm pretty sure the speakers are on one of the shorter sides and not of the same type on the iPad.

Metal wouldn't have worked anyways on TP because of the TouchStone charger.
    it been almost week since I got it back and it has a crack :-(

how much could one sell it for on ebay with a touchstone ?
    My gf got a replacement one from HP for the crack that appeared on hers one night. She contacted them on Thursday a week ago, we received a shipping box on Fri, and had the replacement unit by Wednesday. Amazing.

The replacement appears to be mint condition, except for a very slight sharp edge around the serial number drawer, but she keeps it's official case on it now, so that's no worry.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    My original from August is still perfect, but my developer unit I just got in Oct or Nov already has cracks by both speakers. Really not sure I want to send it in over this.
    I got my firesale touchpad in October. First case was a cheap iPad 1 case, and my touchpad slipped out o it about 4 &1\2 feet to the road, landing on the left corner by the speaker. Thankfully, no crack. Got an HP case soon after, and no cracks thereafter. Last week I finally got a charging dock. Been using it 2 days, and wadaya know, crack by right speaker, going toward the screen. Curious! I wonder if there is any pattern there as far as charging doc goes? Anyway, love my touchpad, not gonna risk getting a refurb, gonna try to stabilize it myself. How are things working for people re: super glue, gorilla glue, plast- dip, etc...? Thanks!q
    Grabber,

If it were me, I'd do it now rather than waiting. Someday, there might not be any more.

Wayne,

My main unti and my development unit practically live on their touchstones. The dev unit has developed a tiny crack at the headphone jack (which has never been used, have only used wireless on it), but other than that is mint. My main unit is mint still.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Love my touchpad. Have it all OC'ed and modded, but I also got the cracks at the speakers. No big deal I thought, I am ultra careful, with the case on it as well. Well, the cracks went from hairline to larger now, and a piece of the plastic is now starting to protrude out. I called customer service, and requested the repair, they told me unless irrepairable (which it is not), they will repair the same one and send it back. So, I am waiting for the repair box, hopefully, my repair will be as painless as everyone else's. Thanks to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomMD View Post
    Love my touchpad. Have it all OC'ed and modded, but I also got the cracks at the speakers. No big deal I thought, I am ultra careful, with the case on it as well. Well, the cracks went from hairline to larger now, and a piece of the plastic is now starting to protrude out. I called customer service, and requested the repair, they told me unless irrepairable (which it is not), they will repair the same one and send it back. So, I am waiting for the repair box, hopefully, my repair will be as painless as everyone else's. Thanks to this thread.
    Yeah same happened with mine. Its good that your sending yours in for repair because eventual it will probably crack even further. Mine developed a second crack on the other side of that same speaker thus the entire piece of plastic between the speaker and screen fell off which resulted in a big hole into the unit itself. Not good!

I've been holding out hope they would find a fix to this issue before sending mine in as well as being afraid of getting a different unit back with other issues like sound distortion, lower cap battery, etc. Looks like I cant wait much longer. I just hope it wont crack again in the same way or worse after repair. Of course I'm the unlucky one out of 4 TP owners I know. I'm the only one with the cracks and I've likely babied mine the most of all.

Definitely this is the biggest issue I have with my TP otherwise I'd love it too minus a few little software things.
    Just checked with a co-worker. 3 TP's... all 3 have cracks. Not a good track record.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Just checked with a co-worker. 3 TP's... all 3 have cracks. Not a good track record.
    TP has a crack, so does my ****. TP is fat and slow, so is my ****. Hmmm...TP is a part of me and I'll never let it go.
    Got a. White TP - bought it in October. Thru it in suitcases and around the apartment on furniture etc. Not a crack in sight. Then bought a touchstone and now have two cracks. The first near the right speaker, but not touching it and one coming from the speaker itself. Tried superglue but both seem to be spreading. Very reluctant to send it in but it saddens me every night to be more interestted in seeing if the cracks have spread then the pad itself !!!!
    I wonder if the heat generated by charging on the Touchstone could in some way increase the brittleness of the plastic?

Superglue has worked a treat for me so far, stopped the crack in its tracks. Really don't see the point of a never ending round of repairs to HP, this case design is flawed, end of. Accept it as flawed and keep a tube of superglue handy or sell it, but returning it to HP every time is just pointless as it will crack again eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    Yeah same happened with mine. Its good that your sending yours in for repair because eventual it will probably crack even further. Mine developed a second crack on the other side of that same speaker thus the entire piece of plastic between the speaker and screen fell off which resulted in a big hole into the unit itself. Not good!

I've been holding out hope they would find a fix to this issue before sending mine in as well as being afraid of getting a different unit back with other issues like sound distortion, lower cap battery, etc. Looks like I cant wait much longer. I just hope it wont crack again in the same way or worse after repair. Of course I'm the unlucky one out of 4 TP owners I know. I'm the only one with the cracks and I've likely babied mine the most of all.

Definitely this is the biggest issue I have with my TP otherwise I'd love it too minus a few little software things.
    Box arrived a day later, pretty amazing. Transferring data, wiping, sending back, quick! I will be using my wife's modded TP for the next week, now that I put OS2.0 on her Playbook, she can use her playbook for now. Fun stuff. I am also the only one out of the 6 TP owners I know for this to happen, and I'm the one who got half of them their touchpads, ironic, and the one who modded all of theirs.

I don't have a touchstone charger, and was I was very careful with the touchpad, so I think this is a design flaw. It looks like the rubber around the screen expands and contracts due to the seal, and heat dissipation...expansion and contraction on the plastic eventually cracks. If I develop the hairline cracks again, I will make sure to super glue it right there and then instead of waiting for the cracks to expand even more until the part of the plastic comes out, then it had to be repaired.
    Got my TP back today...yippee!....looks great...yippee....doesn't work...W the F!
    Powers up but touch screen doesn't work.
    Back to HP. (then time to sell???)
    BTW - how do I turn it off without a screen?

Got it to reboot holding power+center button but cannot power down.
    Last edited by tracks914; 02/29/2012 at 09:16 PM.