Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    had cracked by both speakers, no big deal was just going to live with it
    Noticed the crack is down going down the back of unit, about 1.5 inches
    Will call today about sending it back :-(
    Got mine repaired twice (Germany)...
    Finally decided it was time. 1 week from claim to return of unit. You can (at least in the USA) pay for a new unit which would be refunded when they recieve yours, that is if you are too impatient to live wihtout it for 3-5 days. Everything is overnighted. Mine was replaced with a refurb. It was amazing all the other things I got done when I didn't have mine.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    After finding my small crack, I got a Skinomi Carbon Fiber Stick on cover for the back of my TP noted from a earlier post, custom cut with cut outs for speakers and buttons etc, with a heat gun fits nice and tight at corners. About $20 on EBAY with a screen protector. Working great
    I haven't read all the pages in this thread, however I skimmed the last 5-6 or so. It seems like there isn't a consensus of whether you receive your Touchpad or a refurbished after repair. Is it possible to request that I receive my TP back?

I also have this cracked issue, and similarly to other people, am hesitant to send my babied TP to just receive a refurbished one.
    It seems to depend on where you live... while in the US most of the people seem to get refurbished units, my device got repaired twice now. I live in Germany and the repairs are done in Hungary
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairum View Post
    I haven't read all the pages in this thread, however I skimmed the last 5-6 or so. It seems like there isn't a consensus of whether you receive your Touchpad or a refurbished after repair. Is it possible to request that I receive my TP back?

I also have this cracked issue, and similarly to other people, am hesitant to send my babied TP to just receive a refurbished one.
    I have received my own unit back twice now. When I call in I request to have the same one returned if possible. They will if nothing else happens to it so they can't guarantee you will get it back. But both times they sent mine back. I'm in the US.
    Has anyone else had trouble even contacting HP support to get a warranty replacement? A few weeks ago I decided the crack was bad enough to send in my Touchpad, but I've called three times now and haven't even been able to talk to someone, let alone file a repair order. The first time I was told I called outside support hours, despite the HP website saying the Canadian line was open until 8pm PT Monday to Friday (which turned out to be a lie). The message on the phone said 9am to 6pm ET, so I tried again a few days later at 5:30 ET or so and again got an "our office is closed" message. Then, despite the fact that I work full-time and actually have stuff to do during the day, I called at 4:15pm the next day, only to wait on hold for 45 minutes and then have the muzak cut out at 5pm--because, yup, the office had CLOSED.

All three attempts were to the Palm webOS Canada phone line at 1-(866)-219-7445. I'm going to try again next week, but I think 50 minutes on hold before being disconnected is pretty goddamned rich, and I'm wondering if there's just something I'm doing wrong, or if I've been cursed, or if this is just what you get when you buy a product that's EOL'ed and barely supported by a company that doesn't even know what the hell it's doing anymore.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    are they repairing them with a new housing design? if they're just using the old housing it's pointless to send them in... i have cracks by the speakers and usb on both of my touchpads
    Mine just cracked. :-(
    Hp is sending me a box to ship it back in. Are the newest ones any better than the originals? How many of you have had their "new" cases crack?
    Just thought I'd throw in my experience here. My case started out with a small crack by the left speaker that went up to the bezel about a quarter inch long. Then I got 2 more cracks that went from each speaker to the back of the case. I was working on a cruise ship for 4 months so couldn't return it. Over those 4 months the cracks on the back grew to almost 2 inches. It didn't bother the performance of the unit but I did chat with hp and they said to return it for repair when I got back into the states.

I got back last monday. Called them up on Tuesday and they sent a box which I received on Wednesday. I received the unit back this morning. So total time from calling them to getting it back repaired was 8 days. Not bad. The unit is the same serial number so they did repair it. It looks brand spanking new, no cracks and everything looks exactly like it should. Btw, I didn't request that they repair mine instead of a refurb they just repaired mine which I am glad. All my apps are back and I am now updating to 3.05 as others said its returned with 3.02.

Btw, I'm in Orlando and the repair facility is in El Paso.

Will it crack again? Probably. I did buy the hp case last week so even if it does crack I won't be able to see it.

Anyway that is my experience. They did a great job. Time to installl Android on this motha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Realistpm View Post
    are they repairing them with a new housing design? if they're just using the old housing it's pointless to send them in... i have cracks by the speakers and usb on both of my touchpads
    See my thread here :

http://forums.webosnation.com/showth...y cracked case

It looks like they did modify the case, but I ended up with another crack.

If I send it back, I'll be on my fourth touchpad... I'm bummed out about this problem and hardly pick it up anymore.

Even at the firesale price, I regret purchasing this tablet because of this permanent design flaw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    See my thread here :

http://forums.webosnation.com/showth...y cracked case

It looks like they did modify the case, but I ended up with another crack.

If I send it back, I'll be on my fourth touchpad... I'm bummed out about this problem and hardly pick it up anymore.

Even at the firesale price, I regret purchasing this tablet because of this permanent design flaw.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Agreed I'm also thinking this probably one the major contributing factors to why they gave up on WebOS so quickly(other then LEO himself) and why they sold of the TPs at the ridiculously low fire sale prices in hopes of avoiding an HP public relations nightmare/possible class action suit/recall. I wont be surprised if a large amount of TouchPads wind up experiencing hardware failure shortly after the warranty period expires due to this design flaw.
    I used some super glue, when the plastic on the left speaker finally cracked. I saw that crack coming for a long time.
    I'm not even thinking of contacting HP for the crack, as I'm in the EU with a US TP.
    I'm still happy with the device as I bought it during the fire sale.
    Just imagine if HP had sold millions and millions of TouchPads. This cracking would have been a scandal.
    I know why the TouchPad sold for just 99$. webOS is not to blame...
    I'm sure it has been addressed up thread, but what do I need to do with this thing before I send it back? If there's a quick 'erase this, make sure you do this, etc.' type thing, that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: I have a screen protector on it. Best to take that off? Should I delete all Homebrew stuff entirely? If so, what's the quickest and easiest way to go about it?

Just got return stuff squared away.
    Last edited by bluefakeplastic; 02/20/2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    I have 2 cracks on the side of each speaker. I just contacted the UK support and they asked me to send them some photos first. Did you have to do the same?

Vas
    What was the email address they asked you to send the pictures to? i was given one over the phone but must have written it down wrong as the email keeps failing to send.

Thanks in advance
    Mine is crracked too, but not at the speaker. Its on the right edge at the bottom. (Am I the only one?)
    No chance to repair, because itīs a us device, i dont live in the us......
    Well I sent mine out today. Let's see how long it takes and weather or not I get my own TP back.
    Sent mine in again....for the 4 time. I'm selling it as soon as I get it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Well I sent mine out today. Let's see how long it takes and weather or not I get my own TP back.
    I think you will get yours back. The question is.....if the repair is done neatly.