Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 323738394041424344454647 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    I've ignored this thread so far (after all I have an hp case and all), but noticed a hairline crack from the speaker radiating toward the glass. Everything seems to be working fine so far.
    Wondering if I should contact hp? Bought two at Best Buy at the 1st firesale (one for me and one for my better half).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazan View Post
    I've ignored this thread so far (after all I have an hp case and all), but noticed a hairline crack from the speaker radiating toward the glass. Everything seems to be working fine so far.
    Wondering if I should contact hp? Bought two at Best Buy at the 1st firesale (one for me and one for my better half).
    I have the exact same crack on my TP. I'm not going to return mine to HP and potentially deal with a headache. I'm thinking of putting a skinomi skin on it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorris1441 View Post
    It was growing quick...just epoxied it. I'll post my results in a couple of days.

I used this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Glue-4...bosnation0e-20
    Was thinking about using super glue to fill in the two speaker cracks I have using super glue and a toothpick to put it in there. I had small strips of electrical tape, but they eventually come off. Let us know how this works, I'm curious to see it.
    My 'repair' using a little piece of Sellotape (clear tape of the kind you use when wrapping Christmas presents etc) has lasted for many weeks now, though I guess I don't handle the TP much - it's mainly in the stand. Be quite sure not to touch the sticky side of the tape with your fingers before applying it.
    Thank god for superglue.
    Thank god for superglue.
    Well, if superglue works for you, you just stick to that.

I put liquid nail on mine with a toothpick, so far so good
    Quote Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
    any new news here?

I have the cracking issue on mine also, my touchpad was bought used but is mint.

They told me they would replace the casing, they're sending the box out tomorrow, I'll update with how it goes.

Anyone else get theirs back yet? I'm really hoping I don't have any issues like tool marks on the rubber surrounding or new scratches on the screen.

EDIT:

I really don't want a refurbished unit, I think I may put some clear vinyl over the cracked areas, just to keep the cracked pieces in place, hopefully my case (that I don't have yet) will then cover the vinyl, and make it look like new. I'll have to update you guys with what I do and how I do it
    I just got mine back from the second time it cracked. Sent it in about 2 weeks ago and got it back a few days ago. Same serial number so I'm assuming it's the same unit.
    Crack grew even with the epoxy. I only put the glue over it, not in it or under it because it was too small then. Tonight, I will be placing the epoxy underneath it, between the plastic and rubber exterior of the TP.

Will post my results.

Not related, but both of my chargers broke. The touchstone and the one that came with it. It's only the black circular part that actually plugs into the wall though. 5 mins with HP CS=new charger by Thursday 1/5.

Seems like a rather LQ product, but Android (the only part of the "system" not created by HP) makes it amazing and makes up for everything else.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    My 'repair' using a little piece of Sellotape (clear tape of the kind you use when wrapping Christmas presents etc) has lasted for many weeks now, though I guess I don't handle the TP much - it's mainly in the stand. Be quite sure not to touch the sticky side of the tape with your fingers before applying it.
    I too used clear packing tape, which I put across the entire speaker and then cut out the speaker opening. It has worked well on my 3 TPs and has lasted for over 3 months now.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    I too used clear packing tape, which I put across the entire speaker and then cut out the speaker opening. It has worked well on my 3 TPs and has lasted for over 3 months now.
    Did you do this after it cracked or has it not cracked?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorris1441 View Post
    Did you do this after it cracked or has it not cracked?
    They had all cracked first. Mine had a pretty severe crack on one speaker. But hasn't been a problem. Thought I'd try the clear packing tape first in case I ever wanted to send it in for warranty repair.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    My one crack by the right speaker is getting much worse..I bought mine on Craigslist will HP still repair it even though I was not the original purchaser?

Thanks for any info!
    What is the best "home fix" for this problem. Can't be bothered sending my touchpad back to HP. Currently a piece of sellotape is holding the top border of the right hand speaker grill into the plastic but i'd like to glue this in place. Superglue perhaps? I read soms people were using clear nail varnish but don't want to damage the plastics with the solvents in the polish? Can anyone provide pictures of their home fixes? I want to have a good fix and not a bodge job.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
    They had all cracked first. Mine had a pretty severe crack on one speaker. But hasn't been a problem. Thought I'd try the clear packing tape first in case I ever wanted to send it in for warranty repair.
    Alright thanks. I definitely won't send mine back in then. Don't want to get a refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    What is the best "home fix" for this problem. Can't be bothered sending my touchpad back to HP. Currently a piece of sellotape is holding the top border of the right hand speaker grill into the plastic but i'd like to glue this in place. Superglue perhaps? I read soms people were using clear nail varnish but don't want to damage the plastics with the solvents in the polish? Can anyone provide pictures of their home fixes? I want to have a good fix and not a bodge job.
    I think epoxy between the rubber and the plastic would work best. I put epoxy over the crack, but that didn't work, but now I'm putting it between the two and I think that will work better. No damage to the plastic either from the glue's ingredients.
    I have a some polystyrene modelling glue for plastics with a needlepoint applicator which Will be kinder to the plastics/rubber than superglue, plus if i get any in the speaker it's less likely to gum it all up. Will try that and post the results.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
    Let me start out by saying that I have a 16 GB TP for a few months now that I FULLY expect to crack at some point but reading this thread is almost comical. Firesale or no firesale, this was supposed to be an expensive piece of technology and to read this thread makes you wonder what the hell was someone thinking.....super glue, liquid nail, packing tape, epoxy, tooth picks, what the heck is going on...
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    I guess people REALLY don't want to deal with the hassle of possibly getting back a device that's worse than the one they sent in.

I don't, I'm tempted to use Gorilla glue myself.

Can anyone confirm if the repairs being sent back have sturdier cases?
    A word of warning to anyone else who's considering skinomi (or any other) carbon fiber skin on TP.

It is EXTREMELY difficult to properly apply this. On a 1-10 scale, putting a screen protector on a phone is 2. Putting a screen protector on a tablet is 4. Now, putting a carbon fiber back skin on TP is 12.

I used up about an hr of my life trying to do a good job and used a hair dryer (it's impossible without hair dryer or a heat gun) to help mold this stiff and un yielding film. I finally managed to align it properly and just stuffed it in my HP case.

I haven't even tried to take it out of the case because I'm afraid to see what happened. It was either that or rip it and throw it in the trash. But I can confirm a TP with this skin does fit in the HP case.
    I bought the touchpad back in September from QVC and had family ship it over to me in the UK. Got a crack fairly quickly which has grown and can no longer be ignored. So, I called the UK number to get it sent in for repair only to be told that since it was bought in America I have to contact HP America and have it sent back there to get it fixed.

Now, I am off to kitchen to see if I can find some superglue.