Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
    Same here, mine's cracked right up to the display, and I can wiggle it around when I move my finger on it. Let's hope that HP can do something...

If I send it in, will they replace it or what? Mine has a TINY scratch on the screen (no idea how it got there), but as I'm a bit OCD with electronics I'd like it fixed. If I sent it in, would they just replace the casing, or send me a brand new one in perfect condition? What's the condition of the refurbs been like?

-Evan
    I was told by HP that a replacement would be sent. The person I spoke with said they really don't have enough parts to be fixing these, since the tablet is no longer in production. He said that if I wanted to wait for parts, it could take a month or more... my replacement (the second one) is in amazing condition. I'm quite happy with it, but I'm always stressed that the crack will return on this one (I know it will, I just don't know WHEN).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    How many of those are in the HP case? Mine is in the HP custom fit case and developed the crack long time ago. The 2nd one is fine so far, but I never put the HP custom fit case on it. The HP custom fit case actually is pretty tight and puts a lot of stress on the tp case.
    All of them in the official HP case. I actually discussed this issue with HP support before the crack happened (was curious what would happen based upon the reports of cracking and talked to them about it while I was buying the replacement insurance on my son's touchpad). Anyway - they said then that they were recommending HP cases as a way to avoid cracking.

So much for that.

I'm used to cracking on webOS devices though. I went through, what, four pre-'s with cracking of internal touchscreens? My "5th times a charm" pre was still running up until I franken-pre'ed a pre2 a few days back, but even it had cracks near the USB door extending clear over the top of the screen (and a chunk of plastic broken off near the USB door). My touchpad cracks are both headed toward the back of the unit, which is fairly annoying. I could easily see them spreading into the backing plate. Nasty stuff.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 12/20/2011 at 10:56 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Just got my crack after having it since the first fire sale. I'll probably keep it for a while longer, till the crack gets worse.
    4 months in, no cracks on my main touchpad. gf's hasn't spread after she had a piece of plastic literally fall right off the speaker housing area about a week ago (there were no obvious cracks in it prior to that, she woke up, picked it up off the touchstone, and the plastic just fell off), but i'm going to make sure she calls in as soon as we return from our trip to Wisconsin in January.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    - they said then that they were recommending HP cases as a way to avoid cracking.
    That's totally BS from them. The case can cover up the crack on the back and that's why the recommendation I guess. The case is actually one of the culprits.

When you put the HP custom fit case on, you can tell how much stress it will have on the touchpad - 'cause you have to bend it hard to put it on. The two corner of the custom fit case next to the speakers are extremely sturdy and tight, applying such much force to the two corners of the touchpad, which are next to the speakers. On top of that, the case is very thin and is very narrow in areas close to the speakers; the case material is brittle and not elastic. All in all, that's a design failure on the touchpad, the material, and on the custom fit case!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    That's totally BS from them. The case can cover up the crack on the back and that's why the recommendation I guess. The case is actually one of the culprits.

When you put the HP custom fit case on, you can tell how much stress it will have on the touchpad - 'cause you have to bend it hard to put it on. The two corner of the custom fit case next to the speakers are extremely sturdy and tight, applying such much force to the two corners of the touchpad, which are next to the speakers. On top of that, the case is very thin and is very narrow in areas close to the speakers; the case material is brittle and not elastic. All in all, that's a design failure on the touchpad, the material, and on the custom fit case!
    Although internet theories are always fun to read I can't state with 100% confidence that the HP TouchPad case is not the cause of any case crackings. I say this as I'm looking at 5 TouchPads of all flavors each in a case since pre launch of their respective device. None of these are cracked or show any "stress marks."

HP will continue to stand behind our products and will support each customer who has identified a crack on their HP product. We will also continue to recommend that the HP case be used for maximum protection and for the best user experience while using your HP product, although you may personally feel like it's a design flaw, we will continue to stand behind it.

However, I would say from personal experience that I would not use anything that I felt was a design flaw because you are only going to bring yourself grief and displeasure and your own internal happiness is far more important. With that there are many third party and after market cases that are available that may suit your needs better.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    There's no force at all involved with putting the case on properly.. wth?

The chunk of falling off plastic only happened on hers after she took it out of the case (she decided for some reason that she likes using it better without the case... women.. can't live with 'em..)

We'll be calling on it as soon as we return from Wisconsin, she doesn't want to be without it for our trip.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Received it back today, and the casing is perfect. Came with 3.0.2 and updating now. They repaired it as it has the same Serial # of the one i sent. I love the new aluminum back cases they are using!.

(Just kidding about the last sentence!)

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Mine cracked from the left speaker inside edge sll the way to the screen. I thought about 'leaving it be', but it seems that the whole piece of plastic can now be lifted away from the screen and I am afraid that the screen will eventually lift, or the flap of plastic will snap off.

After going back and forth, I am mailing it in today for repair.
    Last edited by upsidedown; 12/21/2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Updates
    lol if only but then again it would probably have some "antenna gate" with the wifi or some other issue
    Quote Originally Posted by the1bobcat View Post
    Well I'm about to send my 3rd one back. Waiting for them to send the box to ship it back. This third one got cracks on both speakers. I was going to wait it out until nearer the end of the warranty; but, the battery started dieing after an hour of use. Bought my new one the 18th of August and now will have returned one new and two refurbished. Love webOs ad the TP but sad about the case issues. This is the first one that has had any other issues.

When I received it I noticed 'rippling' by the speaker, rubber gasket was bulging in areas and tool marks on the edges of the casing. I immediately called HP and had them note all of this in the file. They said to send it back when the speakers crack again. Sad.

Well, it gives me an opportunity to practice the tweaks and patches again.
    Just got mine back. Gone 4 days not including the weekend. I have inspected it from top to bottom. The two previous replacements had tool marks on the housing and rubber not set properly. This one is immaculate. The housing/shell seems more supple/'rubbery'/flexible. Maybe they changed the plastic for the housing.

It came with 3.0.2 installed. I find this odd as my last replacement had 3.0.4 pre-installed.

Hope this one stays intact and no cracks. Fingers crossed.
    My TP got a crack by the top left speaker too. It is getting bigger slowly but I don't really want it to go back to HP for repair as everything else is perfect. I decided to buy the skinomi fiber carbon skin( only 12$ after discount), it's coming tomorrow, I hope it covers the crack and stop it from developing too far.
    Got mine back this week. Everything is OK this time. Went in for crack came back with touch screen/software problems. Tool marks on rubber liner where case was replaced. Same unit came back this week w/o tool marks but serial no and MAC address the same? Oh well, now I'm a happy camper.
    I have a crack but am inclined to just tape it up...

What type/brand tape have people used? I want it to be strong, but not leave residue...

thanks
    any new news here?

I have the cracking issue on mine also, my touchpad was bought used but is mint.

They told me they would replace the casing, they're sending the box out tomorrow, I'll update with how it goes.

Anyone else get theirs back yet? I'm really hoping I don't have any issues like tool marks on the rubber surrounding or new scratches on the screen.

EDIT:

I really don't want a refurbished unit, I think I may put some clear vinyl over the cracked areas, just to keep the cracked pieces in place, hopefully my case (that I don't have yet) will then cover the vinyl, and make it look like new. I'll have to update you guys with what I do and how I do it
    Last edited by trewyn15; 12/25/2011 at 09:16 PM.
    My TP has also recently developed a small crack near the right speaker .
    I thought I was immune to the cracks as I haven't experienced any...till yesterday. Mine has broken off right behind the glass. I have a case which is very protective, leather and cushion, so it is very weird that it could crack. Oh well, time to call HP.
    I got one of the eBay refurbs. It came the 16th and stayed in its box until Christmas. Noticed a crack on the morning of the 26th. The crack is right above the left speaker.

I've heard about TPs recently coming back with a newer, sturdier version of the case. Is this just a rumor or does anyone know for sure?

If it is, any ideas on how to stop the crack from getting bigger? I was thinking about putting epoxy over it (it's a small hairline crack right now), but my Dad said that would do nothing.
    I went ahead and grabbed a black carbon fiber wrap from skinobi, i heard they get hard as a rock and the guy at best buy said he could put it on for me.

here's a link, I would think it would strengthen the unit and stop it from cracking

Skinomi TechSkin - Cell Phone Cases, Screen Protectors, Skins, Shields, Covers
    HP EliteBook 8540W
    HP Touchpad 16GB - Zagg InvisibleShield - Skinomi Black Carbon Fiber Case
    Samsung Mesmerize - Commuter Case
    Coming:
    Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 - recommend a case for me!
    It was growing quick...just epoxied it. I'll post my results in a couple of days.

I used this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Glue-4...bosnation0e-20
    My refurb for the speaker crack has a nick in the rubber on the top right corner, it almost looks like a chip and feels rough to the hand.
    The other 2 gouges in the rubber are not so noticeable and do not concern me as much.

Will the chip be a problem?