Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    One of my friend actually got his t-pad exchanged and he says the case has been completely changed to a sturdier one. Any more people have diff./ similar experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytablet View Post
    One of my friend actually got his t-pad exchanged and he says the case has been completely changed to a sturdier one. Any more people have diff./ similar experience?
    I sent my touchpad in for the speaker crack two months ago, received it back and now a new crack has developed near the left speaker. I had hoped the cases were sturdier but mine sure wasn't. I totally baby it too and don't even listen to music on it. The only speaker use is the system sounds I suppose. It is very disappointing because I do treat it with such care. In the case always and never abused at all and never leaves the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelhawk4 View Post
    I sent my touchpad in for the speaker crack two months ago, received it back and now a new crack has developed near the left speaker. I had hoped the cases were sturdier but mine sure wasn't. I totally baby it too and don't even listen to music on it. The only speaker use is the system sounds I suppose. It is very disappointing because I do treat it with such care. In the case always and never abused at all and never leaves the house.
    I had the same experience. I'll be sending in mine for a second time either today or tomorrow and I'll find out if the cases have been strengthened.
    Quote Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
    hey EP, can you post pics of how bad your sunken rubber was? Mine is fine all around except for near the home button and I'm wondering if its bad enough to cause a possible issue in the future. I'm wondering how bad it has to be to allow the glass to lift and if its worth risking a refurb
    Sorry, but i sent that tablet back already because it had several other issues. The new one seems fine.
    Well I'm about to send my 3rd one back. Waiting for them to send the box to ship it back. This third one got cracks on both speakers. I was going to wait it out until nearer the end of the warranty; but, the battery started dieing after an hour of use. Bought my new one the 18th of August and now will have returned one new and two refurbished. Love webOs ad the TP but sad about the case issues. This is the first one that has had any other issues.

When I received it I noticed 'rippling' by the speaker, rubber gasket was bulging in areas and tool marks on the edges of the casing. I immediately called HP and had them note all of this in the file. They said to send it back when the speakers crack again. Sad.

Well, it gives me an opportunity to practice the tweaks and patches again.
    Last edited by the1bobcat; 12/13/2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Sent in my one month old touchpad for cracked case and it came back with left side of screen not responding to touch. Also it had been flashed with 3.0.2 where it had 3.0.4 with the crack. As far as I could tell it was the same unit. The ser no was the same and the rubber had tool marks where the case was replaced. I can't believe HP sent it back without quality testing.

The touchpad would not update to 3.0.4. As much as half the screen was unresponsive. So I used webos doctor to load 3.0.4. After 3.0.4 most is OK now but the extreme left side is unresponsive.

Now waiting for second repair event and hoping for a better outcome.
    Slightly off topic here, but when I received my Touchpad (all three), the batteries were dead. I would have expected that, but when I received a new replacement ipad 2, the battery was in the mid-eighties and the version was quite old. What that tells me is that the Apple battery IS actually as good as they say and I'm far more confident that it will keep it's charge well after the warranty is up. The touchpad... not so much

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Bahhhhh...

I guess I jinxed myself asking questions in this thread. Found one tiny crack on one side and another about to form on the other side. So disappointing. I don't trust my ability to strengthen this on my own, so I guess it'll be heading back to HP.

Any advice as to how long I should wait? Ya know, fire it off now and take my chances with a refurb/repair or see if these get worse? Both cracks seem to be heading towards the back of the unit - not the screen. I guess in the world of cracking TPs, that's better?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefakeplastic View Post
    Bahhhhh...

I guess I jinxed myself asking questions in this thread. Found one tiny crack on one side and another about to form on the other side. So disappointing. I don't trust my ability to strengthen this on my own, so I guess it'll be heading back to HP.

Any advice as to how long I should wait? Ya know, fire it off now and take my chances with a refurb/repair or see if these get worse? Both cracks seem to be heading towards the back of the unit - not the screen. I guess in the world of cracking TPs, that's better?
    No, back cracks are a lot worse IMO. When they move towards the screen, they stop and only rarely cause problems after that.

Send it back asap, so you still have plenty of time left on your warranty to deal with future cracks or device issues.

I can report that I too have speaker cracks on 2 of 3 touchpads. Both have been in cases basically since birth and have been properly cared for. No high stresses, no falls, no damage whatsoever, just a spontaneous crack on the speaker casing.

Curiously, the third touchpad (my 2 year old son's touchpad) has no crack yet. That one's been dropped, beaten, bludgeoned, and stepped on. I'm actually very impressed that it's held up, and his ability to care for the device has improved remarkably over the last few months (he's really taking care of it now). Go figure.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    No, back cracks are a lot worse IMO. When they move towards the screen, they stop and only rarely cause problems after that.

Send it back asap, so you still have plenty of time left on your warranty to deal with future cracks or device issues.
    Thanks for your input. I'll get it out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I can report that I too have speaker cracks on 2 of 3 touchpads. Both have been in cases basically since birth and have been properly cared for. No high stresses, no falls, no damage whatsoever, just a spontaneous crack on the speaker casing.

Curiously, the third touchpad (my 2 year old son's touchpad) has no crack yet. That one's been dropped, beaten, bludgeoned, and stepped on. I'm actually very impressed that it's held up, and his ability to care for the device has improved remarkably over the last few months (he's really taking care of it now). Go figure.
    I watched our 2 year old nephew stand and rock around on his iPad - inadvertently for the most part - this past weekend and I think he's 25 lbs. My first thought was "No way the Touchpad could put up with that," but there you go. Haha.

And I'll join the babying chorus. Mine has been in a case, rarely travels, and when it does it's in the folio and slipped in a padded sleeve.
    Mine cracked from the left speaker inside edge sll the way to the screen. I thought about 'leaving it be', but it seems that the whole piece of plastic can now be lifted away from the screen and I am afraid that the screen will eventually lift, or the flap of plastic will snap off.

After going back and forth, I am mailing it in today for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post

Tape is my friend. Just taped both of my cracks... good as new..until the crack spreads :/
    I have 2 cracks on the side of each speaker. I just contacted the UK support and they asked me to send them some photos first. Did you have to do the same?

Vas
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 12/19/2011 at 05:43 AM.
    @VasTheGreek: Had the same procedure @german support
    It is covered by warranty. Hopefully they just replace the cover?
    Or do I get a refurbished unit?

Vas
    They told me beforehand that it would be covered by the warranty and that they would just change the case.
    They usually do a software reset so be sure to back up everything you might still need!
    My mum works for HP (not in the tech side though) and managed to grab 2 x 32gb Touchpads in the firesale. They're both still sealed. I think webOS looks great and definitely suits my needs, and at this price, it's a steal - everything about the tablet for me is perfect. But this cracking issue is making me think twice. I don't want a tablet just because it's cheap, I want one that's going to still be working in a years time. Right now I've decided I'm just not willing to risk getting involved in this issue unless there's a realistic chance it will be sorted out.

Does anyone here have any experience with a repaired touchpad - have the cracks surfaced again or have HP managed to fix it? Am I better off just selling both of the Touchpads and putting the profit towards an iPad (which I really don't want to do because iOS seems to suck when up against webOS in my opion)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

How many of those are in the HP case? Mine is in the HP custom fit case and developed the crack long time ago. The 2nd one is fine so far, but I never put the HP custom fit case on it. The HP custom fit case actually is pretty tight and puts a lot of stress on the tp case.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Mine cracked from the left speaker inside edge sll the way to the screen. I thought about 'leaving it be', but it seems that the whole piece of plastic can now be lifted away from the screen and I am afraid that the screen will eventually lift, or the flap of plastic will snap off.

After going back and forth, I am mailing it in today for repair.
    Same here, mine's cracked right up to the display, and I can wiggle it around when I move my finger on it. Let's hope that HP can do something...

If I send it in, will they replace it or what? Mine has a TINY scratch on the screen (no idea how it got there), but as I'm a bit OCD with electronics I'd like it fixed. If I sent it in, would they just replace the casing, or send me a brand new one in perfect condition? What's the condition of the refurbs been like?

-Evan