Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940414243 48 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    4 Touchpads. The "new' one sent to me has the wonky home button.........lol. I have had a bad camera, cracks, and rubber seal issues. Im thinking its about time to sell my touchpad and touchstone dock.
    wait do all HPs experience this issue eventually? is it a serious problem? just got 2 new touchpads from a friend and want to protect them!

also, if i got them from my friend, will i have any warranty? howlong?
    Quote Originally Posted by kdt15 View Post
    wait do all HPs experience this issue eventually? is it a serious problem? just got 2 new touchpads from a friend and want to protect them!

also, if i got them from my friend, will i have any warranty? howlong?
    If you go to HP's website and pop in your serial number you can check the warranty period.

My TouchPad is basically my "tester" tablet. If it starts cracking I'll have it repaired then sell it on and see how much I can get towards a new android tablet. That said I'm very happy with it apart from the fear of build issues and I could see it keeping me satisfied for a good while yet if it does hold strong by some miracle.
    just notice both are cracked in mine
    is it worth to send back ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbalancerguy View Post
    just notice both are cracked in mine
    is it worth to send back ?
    I sent my otherwise beautiful TP back because of speaker cracking and I regret it. Like everyone else, they send a refurb unit. Two issues: 1) Battery life is FAR worse than my previous unit. 2) The back shell seems to have some air space between it and the rest of the internals because every time I squeeze the unit in the middle (or hold it in portrait mode) I can feel the back shell press inward and hear a creaking sound from the plastic. My friend who also just sent his back for the speaker crack got exactly the same thing with his. YMMV, but I personally would rather have the crack than a creaky tablet with poor battery life. The creaky thing REALLY makes it feel like a cheap product now, not something to be handled with kid gloves anymore. Grr.
    thanks
    I can surf for over 8 hours, had knee surgery on both knees , so I have on my *** all day Long

I think I just keep the one I got
    Quote Originally Posted by guavaman View Post
    I sent my otherwise beautiful TP back because of speaker cracking and I regret it. Like everyone else, they send a refurb unit. Two issues: 1) Battery life is FAR worse than my previous unit. 2) The back shell seems to have some air space between it and the rest of the internals because every time I squeeze the unit in the middle (or hold it in portrait mode) I can feel the back shell press inward and hear a creaking sound from the plastic. My friend who also just sent his back for the speaker crack got exactly the same thing with his. YMMV, but I personally would rather have the crack than a creaky tablet with poor battery life. The creaky thing REALLY makes it feel like a cheap product now, not something to be handled with kid gloves anymore. Grr.
    sounds like my theory about the case being too small for the inards is correct so hp have decided to make the case slightly bigger.
    now the question is do you want a cracked case or a creaky case?
    as far as battery life goes I'm sure they use the same battery but who knows if the original owner treated the battery properly . All rechargeable batteries should be fully charged then fully drained at least once to ensure longer battery life
    how can i prevent cracking from happening?
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MPian View Post
    how can i prevent cracking from happening?
    you can't
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    I'm happy to say that I've had my TP since October 24 and I haven't had any cracks what so ever and I hope it stays that way.
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    So I sent out my cracked Touchpad on Monday and received a replacement today (Thursday). I'm highly impressed with the speed in which HP handled this, but the unit I got back seems to have issues....

The rubber band which goes around the screen is raised in some areas and sunken in others, to the point where I can easily get my fingernail under the glass. It seems stable, but I know this is a problem and really don't want to send the unit back again to get another refurb (which will likely have another problem).

So, should I wait until this unit develops speaker cracks before sending it back, or should I send it back because of the rubber band issue?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    So I sent out my cracked Touchpad on Monday and received a replacement today (Thursday). I'm highly impressed with the speed in which HP handled this, but the unit I got back seems to have issues....

The rubber band which goes around the screen is raised in some areas and sunken in others, to the point where I can easily get my fingernail under the glass. It seems stable, but I know this is a problem and really don't want to send the unit back again to get another refurb (which will likely have another problem).

So, should I wait until this unit develops speaker cracks before sending it back, or should I send it back because of the rubber band issue?

Had the same issue.....got another refurb. The new one has a wonky home button because the screen is raised in that area. geez.........I don't want to send it back again.......this will be #5.

That rubber seal issue you describe with sliding your fingernail under the glass is obviously not right at all, send it back.

How do you not get a worse refurb?

Send back this unit and say you want the issue with the rubber seal fixed and the same unit sent back. Tell them specifically that you do NOT want a different unit.

They will need to fix it anyway and you may have to wait an extra day or so but it should solve your issue.
    ... should I send it back because of the rubber band issue?
    Send it back. As an aside, when you power-on the device in a totally dark room, is there excessive backlight bleed in the areas where the rubber band is not flush? I have yet to see a device (of the three I've had) without excessive backlight leakage.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Got my touchpad back yesterday, looks like they replaced both the back and the glass as there were a few scratches which are no longer there. The screen also is flush with the sides all around the edges, which it never had been before.

Interestingly, it came back with webOS 3.0.2 flashed on it rather than 3.0.4 - this made me think it was just a replacement unit but the serial number is the same so it must be a repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
    Had the same issue.....got another refurb. The new one has a wonky home button because the screen is raised in that area. geez.........I don't want to send it back again.......this will be #5.
    In addition to the rubber band screen issue, I found out that both the camera and light sensor are not working and the home button is so far pressed in that I have to use the tip of my finger to press it. Damn... the case and screen are in PERFECT condition too.

Oh well, Advanced Exchange, here we come!

In other news, I dropped my iPad 2 and messed up the volume button I hope Apple is kind to me when I visit the apple store on Saturday.

I was watching a movie last night holding the touchpad and I heard a pop sound and felt the pop in the case. Sure enough two cracks at each speaker. I google it to see if anyone else had seen this and sure enough - here we are. I am going to go with binding that is the cause as I was holding it and know nothing else happened. Called HP this morning and they are sending me a refurb. I had to escalate to a manager to get the $60 waived but still had to put down a $365 deposit. They said it will be here in 2 business days. I will reply back with my experience.

**UPDATE** Refurb showed up this morning and appearance was great, no visible scratches or screen issues but once it boots up, I cant get past the wifi set up. It never finds any network. I called HP and they said someone will call me back within 24 hours with my options - what the heck does that mean? I dont have time for this and am very disappointed in how they are handling this. I also decided on my own to run webos doctor but it still hangs on the wifi setup screen.
    Last edited by sbalford; 12/05/2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbalford View Post
    I was watching a movie last night holding the touchpad and I heard a pop sound and felt the pop in the case. Sure enough two cracks at each speaker. I google it to see if anyone else had seen this and sure enough - here we are. I am going to go with binding that is the cause as I was holding it and know nothing else happened. Called HP this morning and they are sending me a refurb. I had to escalate to a manager to get the $60 waived but still had to put down a $365 deposit. They said it will be here in 2 business days. I will reply back with my experience.
    Were you holding it by gripping the side where the speakers are located? I'm wondering if it is simply holding it a certain way that tends to trigger the appearance of cracks.
    Got my unit back after about a week today (sent in for top speaker crack). It has a few very small raised spots at the bottom along the rubber seal that are barely noticeable but otherwise looks great. Will wait and see if any new cracks and/or issues with the seal arise over the next few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyonproject View Post
    Will wait and see if any new cracks and/or issues with the seal arise over the next few weeks.
    Didn't take very long, rofl. The screen has become raised and the home button has now sunk every so slightly. Will be giving HP a call (while attempting to facilitate a free advanced replacement). Super.