Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Mine has cracked near the speaker all the way to the glass and I can lift up the piece of plastic. The question I am wrestling with is whether I should glue it or send in for repair. I definitely want my unit back as it is in perfect conditiona and works great. I would be disappointed if it was swapt for another unit.

Thoughts?
    I'd return it, we purchased a product in a perfect condition, and it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
    Just got my Touchpad back from crack speaker repair. Looks like a refurb unit. When gluing the rubber boarder around the screen, someone didn't make sure it was flat in 2 spots. Slightly raised. What would you do?
    same to you.

Quote Originally Posted by riverer View Post
    Just to say, mine went into be repaired for the cracks and came back yesterday (7 days away) MUCH better than when it left.

Crack is fixed, volume rocker that used to be a bit loose and rattle a little is firm and feels much better, screen surround etc all perfect.
    that's good to see they aren't half assing them all
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    im based in asia but got mine at a retail store in Houston, TX. Can I have the local HP service center replace it? When I looked up my warranty, it said it has International warranty. What are the chances that I can get it replaced locally?
    Quote Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
    I'm newly registered here, but I've followed this forum for a while. I thought I should post my own experience with cracks. After reading all the comments on cracking problems, I was very hesitant to buy a Touchpad. Well, I did. A month ago I bought a new in the box white 64gb pad, and at that time it had no cracks. I even looked under a loupe. Due to this known issue, I treated my HP like it was a faberge egg. I carried it as if it was a newborn child. Two days ago, while my Touchpad was sitting on it's Touchstone charger, I heard an audible pop. I thought, it couldn't be. Sure enough, a crack by the speaker. I can only conclude that these cases are under some sort of stress and are bound to find a way to relieve the stress through the weakest link on the case. So, I have a crack. I wonder though, why the speaker side mostly and not the other side which also has slots cutout in the case for volume and a blank?

Still, I really love my touchpad and if the self cracking remains in check, I'll keep it as is. Too bad really, a super product with poor implementation. I also kept it in a folio case and another hard shell leather outer case to no avail.

Larry
    Hhmm.. possibly the uneven heat-field generated whilst in the Touchstone caused expansion of the plastic.. as you say, to then 'relieve itself' and cause cracking at the weakest points? Definitely the speaker 'holes' are the biggest.. thus rendering the remaining plastic around them the thinnest.. and therefore the weakest.

Goes to show it doesn't matter what colour the case is anyway!
    I have decided to send in for repair. I will report back as to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Mine has cracked near the speaker all the way to the glass and I can lift up the piece of plastic. The question I am wrestling with is whether I should glue it or send in for repair. I definitely want my unit back as it is in perfect conditiona and works great. I would be disappointed if it was swapt for another unit.

Thoughts?
    What guarantees the new one sent will not crack? I got one beside my speaker...
    What guarantees the new one sent will not crack? I got one beside my speaker...
    There is no guarantee - it's a design flaw. What you do risk is the possibility of getting your device back with new problems. This happened to me when I sent my Asus Transformer back for dead speakers and it came back with screen issues...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I am planning to send mine back. Called the number and was very clear that I wanted a repair and not a replacement. When I got the shipping box I also received an email stating that at HP's discretion I may receive a replacement. I believe this is just a template but now concerned that I will not receive my tp back. Has anyone had experience. When you stated you wanted a repair did you get your original tp back?

thanks
    What I hate is that I see touchpads that get thrown around and not taken care of, scratched up and everything but no cracks. And here I am on my second touchpad babying the damn thing and it has a speaker crack, a headset jack crack and now a new random crack in the middle on the side where the volume rocker is. Its not on the volume rocker, its just on the side not by any crevice or opening.

I wish I could swap the back out for a white one.
    Just got mine back after about a week. Although I asked for a repair and my original back, I received a replacement. Has a couple bumps in the screen gasket but everything else seems OK. Lost my screen protector though.
    I just don't get it? Even though I baby my tp the crack is still getting worse and now the glass seems to be lifting up as well.
    I'm starting to wonder if the case is too small for the inards and hp decided to force the fit rather than make the case slightly bigger

I love my tp ,but I'm ocd about my Electronics.

p.s. Wow my Auto correct is giving me fits right now
    Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    Just wanted to add myself to the list of TP owners who love their tablet but are disappointed with this disappointing hardware issue.
    Me too. I have suffered through the Pre hardware problems for a very long time. I wanted the Touchpad to be different. No such luck. My cracks (both speakers) completely broke this week and now the plastic is sticking up so badly I am afraid I am going to catch my sleeve or something on one of the broken pieces and break it off. My TP has been in a case almost from the day I bought it and it has been treated well. There is no excuse for this. Add to this the fact that my TP no longer charges on my Touchstone and you can see why I am not a very happy HP customer right now.
    So my Touchpad is going back to HP

I discovered another crack, but this one is moving towards the back of the unit, so there's no stopping it! LOL

They will be replacing my TP with a refurb, which I'm not too happy about, but my warranty is still fresh and if there are any other problems, they will look after it.

I'm glad that I'm not paying for shipping to return this unit, like I had to with my ASUS Transformer.

Crossing my fingers... I'm assuming the next unit will also develop cracks eventually. Is there anyway to re-enforce the area around the speaker BEFORE a crack develops?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Anyone else notice the speaker area being really shape? It's a dumb design. Why have something that open and that sharp. The plastic in that area is a tiny sliver. SMH.
    Web chatted with HP and they issued me a repair order. It seems like most people are getting refurb units rather than their own repaired. For the ones that received the refurb units does the housing seem exactly the same as the original one? I hope the refurb ones have thicker plastic or more adhesive in that area to help prevent the same thing occuring again. Any sign of wear/tear on refurb units? Not to happy about this, but Palm was known for making amazing hardware and clearly that is just following WebOS regardless of where it goes.

Imagine selling tons of these tablets at $500 that are prone to fracture. What a nightmare. I am happy I only paid $150 for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    Just to be clear, you will be getting a REFURB unit. They don't give out new ones for repairs. I asked specifically that a new case be installed on mine.

I hate REFURBS. They can have all sorts of issues in my experience. Screen freezes, LCD issues, etc. My unit was perfect and I did not want someone else's problems.

They say that a refurb is just like a new one but some have received less than new (as in USED) and who knows how the unit was handled and what was fixed and how much use it had.

Just a heads-up but if you tell them you do NOT want a refurb and just want a new case put on your current TP, they will honor that.

My original unit came back looking absolutely perfect with a new case installed beautifully.
    Not sure if what you were told is accurate. Contacted CS and requested a new housing no replacement. He said they have no control over that. He is only able to issue a repair order for this known problem. Service center handles repair. Told him people were able to request to just have theirs fixed, he stated that service center decides what to do and if they had asked for a refurb unit they still would have just received their old one repaired. Sometimes they repair sometimes they send you a refurb and you cannot request one.

Also seems a few people on here requested just repairs but received refurbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoo.haaa View Post
    Not sure if what you were told is accurate. Contacted CS and requested a new housing no replacement. He said they have no control over that. He is only able to issue a repair order for this known problem. Service center handles repair. Told him people were able to request to just have theirs fixed, he stated that service center decides what to do and if they had asked for a refurb unit they still would have just received their old one repaired. Sometimes they repair sometimes they send you a refurb and you cannot request one.

Also seems a few people on here requested just repairs but received refurbs.
    Yeah, I asked for mine to be fixed and the CS rep said that IF they have parts for it, it will take 30+ days to repair and send back - that's a month off my warranty! So I'm getting a refurb and will be inspecting it Like a Boss when it arrives so if there are any problems within my warranty, it will go back!

I'm so glad that this isn't a primary tablet for me - I have two others that I use, but if this was the only one I had, I'd be ticked. :banghead:
    thought i would chime in. no cracks yet but originally got mine for SMB but it seem like they shipped me a refurb. chips by plastic like it was opened before. dellt with them through the corporate number but i'be been through 5+ exchange trying to get a refurb that looks new but they all suck. ex uneven, even more chips and gasket, sunken button.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchpadTimmy View Post
    thought i would chime in. no cracks yet but originally got mine for SMB but it seem like they shipped me a refurb. chips by plastic like it was opened before. dellt with them through the corporate number but i'be been through 5+ exchange trying to get a refurb that looks new but they all suck. ex uneven, even more chips and gasket, sunken button.

Very disheartening, hoping they just repair mine and send it back
    Build quality is crap, the back of my unit (bought about 2 weeks ago) didn't fit well with the screen, and the bottom right corner was cracked. I returned it to HP/Palm and they sent me a refurb. unit. it works fine, but the screen and the case don't match up well either.... I guess they were in a rush to crank out more! I would buy it again for 150 dollars though....
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchpadTimmy View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of... never again will I buy a tablet that uses plastic as case material. I'm sure I can use my ipad as a fortress wall and it won't crack.