Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536373839 44 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Perhaps a silly question, but is it possible that the cracks are caused by the vibrations of the speaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by angelhawk4 View Post
    I had two cracks on my left speaker and they both continued to grow so I did send it in. I was worried about the cracks getting to the screen and lifting it. I called the support phone number and they took care of it all for me and sent me the box to return it in. I received my TP back in only a week so far less than I had thought. It looks brand new now and yes I got the same unit back. They just put a new back on it. It is back in my case and will treated with care like the last one was and hopefully will not crack again. If so, I will send it back again. It was a much easier experience than I thought it would be.

This is the number I called- 1-800-334-5144
    If I buy a used touchpad with a crack, can I send it in for repairs even though I'm not the original owner?

Has anyone done this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ubi79 View Post
    Perhaps a silly question, but is it possible that the cracks are caused by the vibrations of the speaker?
    I'd take that a step further and say that the vibration motor that is activated each time the touchpad is turned on has something to do with it.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I got the dreaded speaker crack and hp is sending a box to return/fix. Question, does It matter that I am overclocked with a bunch of homebrew patches installed? Are they going to say I have no more warrenty or just ignore software since this is a hardware issue. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ubi79 View Post
    If that was the case (no pun intended), then simply leaving it in a running car or on a washing machine should reduce it to smithereens.

Seriously, in my opinion there simply is too much strain on the case and it simply breaks first where it is weakest - the flimsy parts around the speakers, closely followed by the area around the USB port.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlothSprint View Post
    If I buy a used touchpad with a crack, can I send it in for repairs even though I'm not the original owner?

Has anyone done this?
    Yes, you can send it in for repairs even though you're a second hand user. I asked HP about this specifically. All you would need is the serial number for them to service your TouchPad under the current warranty. You could find that on the box and the fake-"SIM" slot on the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    yeah i bought mine from someone here and got it new unopend and saw that there is a huge crack on the speaker =( dam i and i just got it today ill get a pic up later
    So I've had "the crack" now for a few weeks... today, I noticed the rubber that's between the glass screen and outer border is now lifting up in the corner where the crack is (bottom right). I really enjoy my touchpad and use it all day, but it's such a shame to see it falling apart right before my eyes! If this unit holds out, I'll be sending it back a week before my warranty is up. I really don't want to risk sending it back to get a unit in worse condition (which happened with my ASUS transformer).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    So I've had "the crack" now for a few weeks... today, I noticed the rubber that's between the glass screen and outer border is now lifting up in the corner where the crack is (bottom right). I really enjoy my touchpad and use it all day, but it's such a shame to see it falling apart right before my eyes! If this unit holds out, I'll be sending it back a week before my warranty is up. I really don't want to risk sending it back to get a unit in worse condition (which happened with my ASUS transformer).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    You will get the one back that you send in though, I wouldn't wait til a week before end of warranty...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    Sadly I have joined the club, too. Cracks by both speakers. Will call tomorrow and hope to have an easy repair experience.

What should I do before shipping back the TP with regards to personal info on my device - photos, webmail stored passwords, various account ids, etc? Should I delete the profiles from the TP?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoto415 View Post
    Sadly I have joined the club, too. Cracks by both speakers. Will call tomorrow and hope to have an easy repair experience.

What should I do before shipping back the TP with regards to personal info on my device - photos, webmail stored passwords, various account ids, etc? Should I delete the profiles from the TP?
    You are basically going to act like you are not getting the same device back even though all anticipation is that you will. You never know if something may happen during repair, etc. It's unlikely as heck but that is what I would do.

You should clear the Web browser cache, saved forms, passwords, etc. That is in the upper left of the browser window. It is all right there in the same area. When done, go to those web pages and make sure they are gone.

For photos you should make sure you have backup copies elsewhere. If they are personal you can remove them and replace when you get it back. Basically take off all your personal stuff you don't want anyone else to have.

When you get it back it will have a new battery and be reset. You will enter your account info, then it will update and restore all your data except for certain progress in some games (Angry Birds for me dang it). Your apps will all come back on their own, you don't need to worry about those.

This should not be a big deal. It takes 10 days with a weekend included at most. They will overnight a box for you and then overnight it back.

My advice. You should get it done asap before they decide that the cracks are cosmetic or they run out of spare casebacks.

877-426-3777
    Mon. – Fri. 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PT
    Sat – Sun. 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
    Last edited by Racer-X; 11/01/2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    Yes, you should clear the Web browser cache, saved forms, passwords, etc. That is in the upper right of the browser window. It is all right there in the same area. When done, go to those web pages and make sure they are gone.

For photos you should make sure you have backup copies elsewhere. If they are personal you can remove them and replace when you get it back.

You SHOULD get the same device back with just a new case installed. When you get it back it will have a new battery and be reset. You will enter your account info, then it will update and restore all your data except for certain progress in some games (Angry Birds for me dang it).

This should not be a big deal. It takes 10 days with a weekend included at most. They will overnight a box for you and then overnight it back.

My advice. You should get it done asap before they decide that the cracks are cosmetic or they run out of spare casebacks.

877-426-3777
    Mon. – Fri. 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PT
    Sat – Sun. 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
    thanks so much, I appreciate the quick and detailed response.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    So to the people who have sent in their touchpad and got new backs installed...have the cracks returned at all? Mine is starting to develop one :'( so far its only like 3mm but I'm not sure how likely it is that it will grow

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
    So to the people who have sent in their touchpad and got new backs installed...have the cracks returned at all? Mine is starting to develop one :'( so far its only like 3mm but I'm not sure how likely it is that it will grow

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just got mine back and I will update if they come back BUT I have read this ENTIRE thread and you will find 3 things:

1) At least 1 person had their replacement case crack

2) One person had a CSR tell them that the replacement cases have been modified to prevent the cracking. (I am suspect of this as a CSR may assume this or just say it but I hope it is true)

3) HP considers this COSMETIC and not affecting the functionality of the unit. At first, they were giving people free folio cases or damage warranties and in turn that person could NOT get their TP case repaired EVER.

After that, the issue became so widespread that they developed the current repair policy, which is basically full repair or replacement.

In my opinion, HP is doing a great job taking care of this issue by repairing these units. Overnight shipping both ways and free phone support to a real person.

HP has told me that the cracking WILL be covered for the entire 1 year warranty even if the replacement(s) crack again.

This goes for units that have not been registered yet and had their warranty started. So HP knows that putting new casebacks on these things is going to be going on for at least the next year or two. Let's hope they support the WebOS updates that long!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilcyber View Post
    If that was the case (no pun intended), then simply leaving it in a running car or on a washing machine should reduce it to smithereens.

Seriously, in my opinion there simply is too much strain on the case and it simply breaks first where it is weakest - the flimsy parts around the speakers, closely followed by the area around the USB port.
    Cool! I can now stop worrying every time a sound comes from my touchpad! I've already had cracks once and I'd prefer not to have them again...

And it might just be fault of memory, but I feel like the plastic on my current TP is sturdier than the one on the last. Has HP changed them at all?
    Mine seems ok. Hope it won't crack. Since day 1 I use, I put on the HP folio case and never put it off. Hope this will protect TouchPad from any crack.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Mine seems ok. Hope it won't crack. Since day 1 I use, I put on the HP folio case and never put it off. Hope this will protect TouchPad from any crack.

I've been using the HP case as well and I noticed a crack near the speakers 2 days ago, argh.. I really don't want to send it back at the risk of them scratching my perfect screen or sending me a refurb. I read in this thread that we had to specifically request to have our current unit fixed (case replaced) and state that we do not want a refurb? Anybody get a refurb?
    happened to me too. Returned it to costco.

Mine came back from repair about 2 weeks ago... if it wasn't to my stupidity it would still be crack free ^^
    I dropped it from about 2 or 3 feet onto my laser printer and then onto the floor while the USB cable was still plugged in :/ Fell right onto the plug and bent it pretty bad, already thought I broke the TP because it wouldn't charge anymore but bending the plug back in its original position fixed it.
    Because of that incident my TP now has a hairline at the USB port...
    Quote Originally Posted by chex_bomb View Post
    I've been using the HP case as well and I noticed a crack near the speakers 2 days ago, argh.. I really don't want to send it back at the risk of them scratching my perfect screen or sending me a refurb. I read in this thread that we had to specifically request to have our current unit fixed (case replaced) and state that we do not want a refurb? Anybody get a refurb?
    A few have received refurbs but that was early on. They now have a pretty set process where they are strictly replacing the cases. I would still tell the phone rep that you want your original unit back just to be safe.

They also put a temporary screen protector on the unit while they are working on it which is still on it when you get it back. Mine has been sent in twice and the screen is still perfect.

877-426-3777

Mon. Fri. 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PT
    Sat Sun. 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT