Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    So what do I do if UPS loses my package on its way to the repair center? I don't know yet if it has been or not, but it has been out for delivery since Friday morning without any updates whatsoever do I an getting worried about itat this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by banzaiwolfe View Post
    So what do I do if UPS loses my package on its way to the repair center? I don't know yet if it has been or not, but it has been out for delivery since Friday morning without any updates whatsoever do I an getting worried about itat this point.
    Friday going through the weekend and now just Monday you are probably fine, but if you are worried about your package you can always contact UPS and ask them if they have any additional information than what is showing on their website.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    My tp now has cracks too.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3222650

Basically I've decided to send it in for repairs. I'll report the results in a week or so, hopefully.
    I'm now part of the club. Grabbed my Touchpad from downstairs, opened up the folio case and saw an odd reflection, looked closer and found that there was a crack by the bottom speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Friday going through the weekend and now just Monday you are probably fine, but if you are worried about your package you can always contact UPS and ask them if they have any additional information than what is showing on their website.
    UPS told me that a package investigation is required to look into this issue (wasn't delivered Monday either, still no further updates on the tracking), and suggested that I have HP do this because they are technically the shipper since it's their label. I talked to Touchpad support a little while ago, and they just want me to talk to UPS...

Has anybody had to deal with a situation like this? I don't know where to go next, and I was hoping to have it back before I went on vacation over Thanksgiving.

Also, what would HP do in this situation if UPS has lost my tablet?
    Last edited by banzaiwolfe; 10/25/2011 at 12:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by banzaiwolfe View Post
    UPS told me that a package investigation is required to look into this issue (wasn't delivered Monday either, still no further updates on the tracking), and suggested that I have HP do this because they are technically the shipper since it's their label. I talked to Touchpad support a little while ago, and they just want me to talk to UPS...

Has anybody had to deal with a situation like this? I don't know where to go next, and I was hoping to have it back before I went on vacation over Thanksgiving.

Also, what would HP do in this situation if UPS has lost my tablet?
    Yeah, HP needs to request a package investigation as they are the shipper. Be persistent when calling HP and if they refuse to help, ask for the manager. Remind them its their duty to initiate an investigation (I used to do shipping for a global company). Do not give up as you will most likely not be able to get a replacement if it does get lost.

If it gets lost, you will get your money back that you paid for the device from HP, not UPS.

I truly hope for you that it gets found, as I can imagine how attached you got to your TouchPad, as did I. I was very wary of sending it in for repair and researched who the call centre was, where the TouchPad was going and how long it'd take etc.

Good luck!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    I just found a crack in mine today. It has been in the Folio case since I bought it. I even bought a another zippered foam case to protect it when in transit.
    I contacted WebOS support on the Touchpad. They took my information and said they will do an SRO Advance Exchange. They are sending my a new one and I will ship back the damaged one once I receive the new one.
    They called me at home, took my credit card info to guarantee that I will ship back the damaged Touchpad.
    I will now wait for it to arrive. Hopefully they will get it right and send me the same model, 32GB. I will keep you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by smphoto View Post
    I just found a crack in mine today. It has been in the Folio case since I bought it. I even bought a another zippered foam case to protect it when in transit.
    I contacted WebOS support on the Touchpad. They took my information and said they will do an SRO Advance Exchange. They are sending my a new one and I will ship back the damaged one once I receive the new one.
    They called me at home, took my credit card info to guarantee that I will ship back the damaged Touchpad.
    I will now wait for it to arrive. Hopefully they will get it right and send me the same model, 32GB. I will keep you posted.
    Just to be clear, you will be getting a REFURB unit. They don't give out new ones for repairs. I asked specifically that a new case be installed on mine.

I hate REFURBS. They can have all sorts of issues in my experience. Screen freezes, LCD issues, etc. My unit was perfect and I did not want someone else's problems.

They say that a refurb is just like a new one but some have received less than new (as in USED) and who knows how the unit was handled and what was fixed and how much use it had.

Just a heads-up but if you tell them you do NOT want a refurb and just want a new case put on your current TP, they will honor that.

My original unit came back looking absolutely perfect with a new case installed beautifully.
    I got the tpu case just because of the added structural support around the speaker openings.
    The case hugs the corners pretty tightly. My wife has the HP case and there is virtually no undercarriage support.
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Well, I finally got my TouchPad back hurray!

It took exactly 7 days (including weekend).

The casing has been replaced and looks brand new again. I've popped it back in my official hp case, and let's hope that this time it stays ok. According to CS it should do, as the cover is one with new materials and made to a different manufacturing process.

Will keep you updated in case anything happens again.

Edit: Btw, they removed everything from the device and have put webOS 3.0.2 on it... Why not 3.0.4? Very strange
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    Quote Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post

It took exactly 7 days (including weekend).

The casing has been replaced and looks brand new again. I've popped it back in my official hp case, and let's hope that this time it stays ok. According to CS it should do, as the cover is one with new materials and made to a different manufacturing process.

Will keep you updated in case anything happens again.

Edit: Btw, they removed everything from the device and have put webOS 3.0.2 on it... Why not 3.0.4? Very strange
    Likely the reflashing tool wasn't updated at the time for 3.0.4.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by lu1gj3s View Post
    According to CS it should do, as the cover is one with new materials and made to a different manufacturing process.
    Wait, CS told you the cover is made with new materials? I hope so but that does sound suspect as a a CS has never told me that and I have specifically asked. Normally they are not aware of that type of info but we can hope.

Then again, there are hundreds of thousands of people with TP's that are NOT cracked and have the original cases.
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Yeah, I also asked specifically, as I first asked if I could have a soft touch cover lol, like the go and the pre 3.

Then he said that wasn't possible doh lol (nice try). And then I asked how they think they are going to prevent this from happening again. The guy told me the casing had been changed to incorporate stronger plastic and the manufacturing process had changed.

Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    I think you're right, I'm only repeating what the cs rep told me.

Actually after just coming home, found some niggles, the bottom bezel is raised and not in the casing properly, I can push it in and when I let go it raises again...

Ah well, at least no cracks lol.

This is an update of what I believe is the actual cause of the speaker cracks. I was about to custom made a piece of metal glued around the speakers but discovered the plastic around the speakers are curved outward. Close inspection revealed something underneath the glass screen is pushing those sections of plastic outward and subsequently causing them to crack due to stress. This is the opposite of what I thought was caused by palm stress. If my diagnosis is correct, anyone experience speaker cracks should see the gaps between the rubber seal and plastic bottom cover just near the speakers. This also explains why cracks still developed even when users were being extra gentle. Since not everyone has crack around speakers, this might be an assembling issue, or some parts were not precisely made. The big question is whether HP was aware of the actual cause and addressed it when replacing the bottom cover.

I have attached a picture showing how it looks. Guess I will have to send mine in after-all.
    Last edited by wlachan; 10/27/2011 at 01:42 AM.
    crucialcolin likes this.
    I live in Finland and just found out that my Touchpad's case has a crack by the speaker. I contacted HP's customer service and they wanted to see photos of the cracks to determine if the issue was under warranty. I sent them the photos and they said that they would fix it as they should.

BUT the funny thing is that they want me to pay for the shipping! It is weird because I believe there's a law in Europe that states that there should be no cost to the customer if the product fails under warranty and needs to be serviced. And I mean no cost AT ALL.

So I was wondering if there was anyone else from Europe that have had their cracked Touchpad fixed by HP? I would like to know if you had to pay for the shipping yourself. Thank you very much!

EDIT: Aaaargh.....I'm going nuts with the HP customer service! Here's a part of our conversation on HP customer service chat:

13:46 Me: I've looked around the internet and I found out that the problem is very common with HP Touchpad
    13:46 Me: and other people have had their shipping fees paid for them
    13:46 Me: Why am I the only one who has to pay to get the product fixed??
    13:47 HP : Sir. Only people in the UK get both shipping fees covered by HP.
    13:47 Me: And why is that?

13:48 HP ei ota enää pyyntöjä vastaan. Odota hetki.
    13:49 Tuki-istunto muodostettu henkilön HP kanssa.

13:50 HP : Sorry, we lost connection.
    13:50 Me: I want you to know I will be saving this conversation for later reference
    13:50 HP : I understand.
    13:51 Me: I would like to know why you pay the shipping fees for the customers in the UK
    13:51 Me: and not for me
    13:53 HP : I have referred you to a different source of support on chat session *********** sir. There you can get all the help you need.
    13:53 Me: FINALLY! What took you so long??
    13:53 Me: So what do I do now?
    13:56 HP : Sorry, I did not understand what you have just said.
    13:56 Me: How do I proceed?
    13:57 HP : You should send a letter to:
    13:57 Me: NO
    13:57 HP : Customer Service
    HP Palm GBU
    Amen Corner
    Cain Road
    Bracknell
    Berkshire
    RG12 1HN
    13:57 Me: I will not send any letters
    13:57 Me: You said: 13:53 HP : I have referred you to a different source of support on chat session *********** sir. There you can get all the help you need.
    13:58 HP : That is correct.
    13:58 Me: I want to speak to your manager
    13:58 HP : That is the address for headquarters sir. Where you can get help after you wrote a letter with your concern.
    13:59 Me: I will not send any letters
    13:59 Me: I want to speak to your manager
    13:59 Me: I want to know why you refuse to pay my shipping fees
    14:02 HP : Give me just a moment please.
    14:05 HP : Here you can find the warranty statement online sir: http://www.hpwebos.com/uk/en/company/tandc.html
    14:06 Me: Can you tell me what it says about this type of situation?
    14:08 HP : Sorry again as I told you on chat session ********** this department can help you with the technical aspect of your touchpad and we have confirmed you can have your unit repaired in warranty. Regarding shipping fees you might want to contact the address I gave you before on this chat session and on prior session too.
    14:09 Me: no, I want you to tell me where it says in that warranty statement that I have to pay for the shipping fees
    14:09 Me: because I can't find it
    14:09 Me: If you can't answer that question or the other ones I've asked then I want to speak to your manager
    14:10 HP : I apologize sir. I think you are reluctant to get information on the right procedure to have this resolved. I have provided all the help I can from this department.
    14:12 HP : I am glad to give you all the information that I can provide but I do not have any tools to help you on this matter. If you wish I can have the case escalated so that somebody else can take a look at this and transfer it internally to Customer Service.
    14:13 Me: And how would I do that?
    14:13 HP : I am doing that now. When we have an update on this we will contact you back in about 3-5 days
    14:14 HP : May I please have a phone number where to call you back?
    14:14 Me: I would like to be contacted via email
    14:14 HP : Our outbound service via email has been discontinued sir. We can call you at any number you wish.
    14:15 Me: This is so frustrating
    14:16 Me: Can you please explain why people in the UK get their shipping fees paid for them?
    14:17 HP : Sir, again. I cannot provide the information you are requesting. Instead I am providing you with an alternative solution (escalate this to have somebody else contact you with an answer)
    14:17 HP : Is there anything else I can do for you today?
    14:17 Me: It's just silly....first you want me to write a letter and then you say you can have someone call me back
    14:18 Me: Can I just talk to your manager, please?
    14:19 Me: I would like to get this thing cleared today
    14:19 HP : Of course. Just hold on for a moment please.
    14:19 Me: Thank you

14:19 Odota hetki - HP on asettanut istuntosi hetkeksi pitoon.
    14:30 Tuki-istunto muodostettu henkilön HP kanssa.

14:30 HP : Sir, I am still working on your case, currently there is nobody available to take this chat session.
    14:31 HP : Give me just a moment please. I will place you on hold while I wait for somebody to put you through.
    14:31 HP : Thank you very much.

14:31 Odota hetki - HP on asettanut istuntosi hetkeksi pitoon.

it's now 15.29 here. I've been waiting for someone who could help me over an hour now....

EDIT2: Aaaaaaand.....they disconnected without saying a word. Thank you HP.
    Last edited by Fubar1; 10/27/2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added the conversation
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    No you don't have to pay for anything. Be persistent and ask to speak to the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by wlachan View Post
    This is an update of what I believe is the actual cause of the speaker cracks. I was about to custom made a piece of metal glued around the speakers but discovered the plastic around the speakers are curved outward. Close inspection revealed something underneath the glass screen is pushing those sections of plastic outward and subsequently causing them to crack due to stress. This is the opposite of what I thought was caused by palm stress. If my diagnosis is correct, anyone experience speaker cracks should see the gaps between the rubber seal and plastic bottom cover just near the speakers. This also explains why cracks still developed even when users were being extra gentle. Since not everyone has crack around speakers, this might be an assembling issue, or some parts were not precisely made. The big question is whether HP was aware of the actual cause and addressed it when replacing the bottom cover.

I have attached a picture showing how it looks. Guess I will have to send mine in after-all.
    Click to view quoted image
    you may be on to something there. I've noticed exactly that with my TP( the plastic near the speaker separated from rubber seal then eventualy cracked all the way through). I also leave my touchpad in its folio case since day sitting on a table surface with the backside down when not in use so I wonder if the weight of the screen/rest of device is causjng stress on that particular area. It may very well be an assembly or part procision/fit issue. If if its a part hopefully its in the plastic molding fit being off as that would likely be easier to resolve.
    Well....looks like I got the dreaded "crack near the speaker" issue. Grrrrrrrr. Just like many have said, my TP has been treated with extreme care.....rats. So, I guess the decision is whether to send back for repair or just live with it? Has anyone noticed if it continues to get worse? I personally could care less about this little crack unless it turns into a bigger crack. It stays in the case 100% of the time. If I decide to go the repair route, is the first step to do the "live chat" support?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Well....looks like I got the dreaded "crack near the speaker" issue. Grrrrrrrr. Just like many have said, my TP has been treated with extreme care.....rats. So, I guess the decision is whether to send back for repair or just live with it? Has anyone noticed if it continues to get worse? I personally could care less about this little crack unless it turns into a bigger crack. It stays in the case 100% of the time. If I decide to go the repair route, is the first step to do the "live chat" support?
    I had two cracks on my left speaker and they both continued to grow so I did send it in. I was worried about the cracks getting to the screen and lifting it. I called the support phone number and they took care of it all for me and sent me the box to return it in. I received my TP back in only a week so far less than I had thought. It looks brand new now and yes I got the same unit back. They just put a new back on it. It is back in my case and will treated with care like the last one was and hopefully will not crack again. If so, I will send it back again. It was a much easier experience than I thought it would be.

This is the number I called- 1-800-334-5144