Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Bugger. It just appeared out of nowhere. Been sitting on the sofa all evening. I put it down while rebooting, picked it up to find the crack.

Nothing, I mean nothing, happened to make this happen.

Crack from r/h speaker to screen.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I had sent mine in for the speaker crack last Friday and HP received it Monday. Got the email yesterday-Thursday that it is on the way back to me. Should arrive here Monday. So slightly more than one week is a great turnaround. Let's hope the new case does not crack.
    Ours has cracks on both speakers too. HP offered to have it repaired but cannot guarantee the same unit would be back to us (hello?). I was wondering if anyone had their units repaired or replaced but still cracked afterward? Have they actually located the problem and fixed it properly? I failed to see the point of sending it back if it just keep cracking.
    Shipped mine back on Wednesday, it was supposed to be delivered to HP yesterday (2nd day air) and was even out for delivery but wasn't delivered. That bothers me because there wasn't anything marked as an exception and is still marked as out for delivery right now with a changed delivery date of Monday. I hope it didn't get lost somewhere.

I sent it in for a speaker crack and screen separation.
    I just developed a crack on my touchpad too ...and it is big enough to worry me ....I just wanted to know ..what is the process for sending the touchpad back to repair ...also because i have preware as well as cm7 installed...do i just remove the kernel...doctor it and wipe the data and send it back........one last question that i have is since i picked up this off craigslist for 125 $ :P ..i dont have the bill....do they ask for the bill...cause that would be a serious problem for me ...An urgent response would be appreciated ..thanks
    I have some disapponting news for you guys. I signed up just to post my experience. I sent my touchpad in about 3 weeks ago for cracks and I did get the same unit back, so that was a good thing. The bad part is, I've only taken it out of the house once to show it off and again I notice a new crack. I'm going to call HP again next week and I'll post what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper1414 View Post
    I just developed a crack on my touchpad too ...and it is big enough to worry me ....I just wanted to know ..what is the process for sending the touchpad back to repair ...also because i have preware as well as cm7 installed...do i just remove the kernel...doctor it and wipe the data and send it back........one last question that i have is since i picked up this off craigslist for 125 $ :P ..i dont have the bill....do they ask for the bill...cause that would be a serious problem for me ...An urgent response would be appreciated ..thanks
    I doctored mine, they do ask you to remove your data. I contacted them through chat.
    They probably won't ask sure a receipt, all touchpads are still under warranty.
    the chat website is down...***......can i contact them over the phone
    the chat website is down...***......can i contact them over the phone
    called up hp...they are sending a box and said would repair the touchpad and not give me a refurb ..so all is good now...just an important thing........i have preware as well as cm7..can someone provide details on how should i go about resetting so that i dont leave anythign behnind
    called up hp...they are sending a box and said would repair the touchpad and not give me a refurb ..so all is good now...just an important thing........i have preware as well as cm7..can someone provide details on how should i go about resetting so that i dont leave anythign behnind
    Delete everything in the sd/media partition, the one that you can add files to when you connect it to your computer via usb. Then use ACMEUninstaller to uninstall CM7, then doctor it.

I've personally tried all the steps above and it reclaims all space back and after doctoring restores all the original files that were in the usb media partition. Good luck!

By the way just checked my touchpad, it has a very small maybe 2-3mm hairline crack by the right speaker. It's not really noticeable unless you look carefully but you can feel it with a fingernail. Should I risk it getting bigger or ask for a repair now?
    Quote Originally Posted by nbashford1 View Post
    I have some disapponting news for you guys. I signed up just to post my experience. I sent my touchpad in about 3 weeks ago for cracks and I did get the same unit back, so that was a good thing. The bad part is, I've only taken it out of the house once to show it off and again I notice a new crack. I'm going to call HP again next week and I'll post what happens.
    This exact thing happened to me!! I am tired of this problem (my sister's TP also had a crack). Yet I am afraid if I leave it be, they might refuse to fix it under warranty (since I neglected to tell them earlier?). But I could just be paranoid.
    Mine's finally developed a crack now too (32gb - never been in a case). I'm not overly bothered by it and can't stand the thought of wiping and restoring now that it's running Android so well - so I've bought a solid plastic back cover for it :

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I'm thinking that if it's worse in 10 months time I'll get them to replace it then. I take it that nobody has had any problems with HP if they've attempted self-repair with plastic glue?
    Damn, yesterday I discovered cracks as well. I absolutely treated the pad like a raw egg and now I discovered cracks on both speakers. Will send it in this week, let's see how long they're taking to fix it.
    Global Posts
    469 Global Posts
    Well, mine is on its way back now. Currently in Austria :-)

UPS collected on the 19th, had it on the 20th and sent it back on the 21st.

So am expecting it back either tomorrow or Wednesday. That's basically 7 days. Not bad at all for a repair (if they repaired it lol).

Will update once received on quality of repair etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I read through many of the posts in this thread and I am wondering, how many cracks are caused by the form fitting HP case vs. other contributing causes?
    Pilot 5000, PalmPilot Personal, Palm III, Palm IIIx, TRGPro, HandEra 330, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755, Pre Plus, Pre 2 and Touchpad.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    I read through many of the posts in this thread and I am wondering, how many cracks are caused by the form fitting HP case vs. other contributing causes?
    I can't see how it is the case considering that is opening on the speaker side.
    I have inspected mine closely and believed the cause of problem is due to the lack of physical support because of the openings for the speakers. What I mean is when we hold the TP, that piece of thin plastic would be squeezed too much toward the hole and cracked. The volume control and card reader slot have the same openings but won't crack because the switch and the cover limit the amount of physical distortion when squeezed. Unless HP redesigned and remolded the cover, I believe the crack will just come back after repair. I am going to custom fit 2 pieces of metal and glue them around the speakers and hopefully will stop the crack for good.
    Last edited by wlachan; 10/24/2011 at 03:33 PM.
    I wonder If someone made a fitted metal insert with small holes similar to a metal screen so the sound was not blocked, if that would reinforce the area enough to prevent the stress from causing cracks?
    Count me in. Just found a crack by the USB port. Called it in for service. Good thing I have another replacement one that was recently returned from from repair due to a crack as well. I guess I'll start using it and see how long it'll take before it develops a crack too. This will be fun, sending a tablet in every other month and getting a new a one.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    So i thought I was lucky to have on that didn't crack by the speakers, then I looked at my Touchpad and I had a crack above both speakers. Not really that big of an issue though for me. I paid 150 bucks for it I mean what more do you want from that.