Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 40 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolingo View Post
    They said as long as it still is under warranty they will repair it once again (German support)... but since the majority doesn't have problems with cracks I guess I'll be alright.
    Actually I would not want a replacement unit, because I'm quite satisfied with my screen and wouldn't want to take the risk of getting a worse one ^^
    Just got off the phone with HP. 2 days to send me a box, 7-10 to repair, 2 days to send back. She said they don't have any more cases to offer, and can't expedite because they barely have any repair parts. Asked for a refurb but she said they didn't have any.

I'll update on quality and anything else when I get it back.
    Sending mine in next week. I told them I did NOT want a refurb. I just want a new housing put on. I hate refurbs, my unit is like new with no issues. Many machines have issues like screen problems, frequent freezing, etc.

I know it will have pry marks on the rubber gasket from repair but as long as all else is good and housing is new I am fine with it.

I even asked what happens if this new housing cracks and they said if still under warranty, they will fix it again.

The guy did mention it is only cosmetic and I almost went off on him because as soon as that crack goes through to the screen, the screen lifts up a bit and the plastic piece becomes a loose flap that catches on everything and will just crack off at some point. Unacceptable and not cosmetic.

I am careful to only say what is necessary on these calls (no offense to anyone) because they take everything so literally and will change up everything that is happening in the call due to your new complaint. It just isn't worth making any kind of argument unless you get to someone higher up if you can't get what you want.

In my case, all I need is a new housing and that was taken care of just fine so I kept my mouth shut and said 'send the box bro'
    I finally got my delivery notification!
    two weeks after i received my repaired TP.

HP has no idea what they are doing lol.

Freaked me out I thought they were sending another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolingo View Post
    They said as long as it still is under warranty they will repair it once again (German support)... but since the majority doesn't have problems with cracks I guess I'll be alright.
    Actually I would not want a replacement unit, because I'm quite satisfied with my screen and wouldn't want to take the risk of getting a worse one ^^
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. Right now besides the crack my TP is perfect and I dont want a refurb to avoid the other issues people are having. I just want plastic back replaced. I've heard of people here sending in theirs for repairs and getting refurb replacements back. So I've been avoiding sending mine in myself because its just one crack from the top speaker all the way through to the screen

Unfortunately I just noticed a second hairline crack is starting to form on the other side of that top speaker which will likely crack all the way through as well. Thus the entire piece of plastic between the speaker and screen will fall out before long leaving a gaping hole that will expose the internal circuitry of TP increasing the chance of hardware failure over time.

I suspect this is one the contributing factors to why they decided to firesale the thing and discontinue webos hardware since they knew the TP might not last long after the plastic falls apart. My guess it its timed to crap out just after the warranty is up so they don't have to issue a recall or continue making repairs and replacements.

I know one thing I sure wish I wouldn't have even spent $150 for one
    The majority of refurbs are just returned units, so no worries there, they do make them good as new. Also for $150 even with having to send in one of my two, it's still a hell of a bargain. The wife uses hers for hours a day, for over a month now. I use mine for at least an hour a day, more on the weekends. My brother just got his shipment of the new units. We'll see if they start cracking. It's very hit and miss.
    The majority of refurbs are just returned units, so no worries there, they do make them good as new.
    While it's true that some refurbished units are returns, I use to work at a service center which repaired printers, monitors, digital cameras, scanners, etc., and there were lots of refurbished units which had some pretty major defects before being "fixed". You could very well end up with a device that has problems when getting a refurbished unit - haven't you ever bought a refurb cordless phone? LOL Those are so hit-and-miss!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    *Nevermind*

the status site was down all day and it just finally came up for me. Looks like my TP is finally on it's way back to me.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I put a piece of Gorilla Tape over both cracks, out of site out of mind :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsplatpc View Post
    I put a piece of Gorilla Tape over both cracks, out of site out of mind :-)
    I thought the same thing until it went all the way to the screen. Not only did the plastic piece catch on blankets and such, it was a loose flap waiting to break off.

Put some tape on it right? Well, as soon as the crack made it to the screen, I noticed the screen lifting slightly at the crack. I could see light coming from under the screen. Not good. Also, this is simply not structurally right. I think that these cracked units if left this way will end up with screen lifting further.

We will see. If mine cracks again after getting it back, I am going to report it with their promise to fix it again later. Remember, they consider this cosmetic and they could decide later on that they are only fixing these ONCE or not at all if it is not affecting the functionality of the unit.

Hopefully it won't crack again, but if it does, 6 months from now they may have a redesigned case for the repairs. Right now I am basically getting it fixed because they agreed to fix it and I think it needs to be fixed.
    Mine just got a crack near the speaker. Had it for almost 2 months. Anyway here in AUS, they said that they would send someone to pick it up, repair it, and drop it back off. So not too much hassle.

Do you think I need to remove the overclock, preware etc? It doesnt really have anything to do with the case, but heard it can void warranty.
    I just installed the standard kernel but left everything else as it was, so preware and govnah were still installed. They did a Software reset anyway so I'm glad I didn't spend much time on reverting everything back to original. Did have a PIN to unlock though...
    Quote Originally Posted by saidzuchi View Post
    Mine just got a crack near the speaker. Had it for almost 2 months. Anyway here in AUS, they said that they would send someone to pick it up, repair it, and drop it back off. So not too much hassle.

Do you think I need to remove the overclock, preware etc? It doesnt really have anything to do with the case, but heard it can void warranty.
    If you're one of those "better safe than sorry" people like most of us you'll just remove the custom kernel then doctor it back to stock. Not only do you not want them to screw you over for something small like a custom kernel, but you also want to wipe it to make sure some jerk off doesn't end up with whatever data you have on it. Just because they haven't declined someone for having a custom kernel installed it doesn't mean they won't.
    Hello - just to inform everyone that my 3 week old TP has just cracked. Had it in the HP snug fit case since day 1. I have been using it mostly in landscape mode, and often picking it up from one side. I will be looking for a replacement and not picking the replacement up from one side only.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I am seeing a lot of posts about folks who have cracks who also have used the Touchpad snug case. I too used that case from day one and had cracks. My daughter has used the case and has bad cracking. What is the frequency of cracking of Touchpads that used that case vs. not using that case? Anyone know?
    Pilot 5000, PalmPilot Personal, Palm III, Palm IIIx, TRGPro, HandEra 330, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755, Pre Plus, Pre 2 and Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Got my Touchpad back today and it is MY Touchpad, not a refurb. Looks good, works fine and I immediately wrapped it in a vinyl skin. The whole thing took a week and a day from when I sent it in.
    this..kind of sucks. I didn't even use the case described here or any case while in use, just a standard leather slip in case for protection. I look at my speaker, one hairline crack going straight towards the screen and one going about 1/3rd inch out to the side. What do I do to stop from spreading? My school work and textbooks are on here, there's no way I can just not have it for 2 weeks to send it in, any semi safe homebrew options? They're hairline right now but I can definitely feel them w/ my nail
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    this..kind of sucks. I didn't even use the case described here or any case while in use, just a standard leather slip in case for protection. I look at my speaker, one hairline crack going straight towards the screen and one going about 1/3rd inch out to the side. What do I do to stop from spreading? My school work and textbooks are on here, there's no way I can just not have it for 2 weeks to send it in, any semi safe homebrew options? They're hairline right now but I can definitely feel them w/ my nail
    Some say Super Glue of some type MAY stop it or just put tape over it if it is all the way to the screen so you don't catch it and crack the piece off.

When you can, send it in and get the case replaced. You don't want to keep it with a cracked case.

877-426-3777
    Mon- Fri 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PT
    Sat – Sun. 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    I am seeing a lot of posts about folks who have cracks who also have used the Touchpad snug case. I too used that case from day one and had cracks. My daughter has used the case and has bad cracking. What is the frequency of cracking of Touchpads that used that case vs. not using that case? Anyone know?
    I have 2 friends who both had their TP's in the HP folio case since day 1 and have no cracks. I also had mine in the HP folio case since day 1 and DID have the cracks. We all bought on the same day from the same Best Buy. All were 32gb.

If you actually look at and feel that side of the HP case, there is not much pressure at all put on the TP as that side of the case is OPEN due to the speakers.

I don't think there is any chance that the case is causing the cracks. If that were true, HP would stop selling or redesign the folio case so they can stop repairing the cracked TP's.
    So can I change my vote? I just discovered a hairline crack on my right speaker. And it looks like the glass is lifting in that corner too now. I bet stress from the glass is what is causing the cracking.

So what glues work with the Touchpad case? Do solvent glues like those for PVC plastic work? Super glue? Someone mentioned PVA glue before (white glue) but that type of glue typically does not work well on plastics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    Some say Super Glue of some type MAY stop it or just put tape over it if it is all the way to the screen so you don't catch it and crack the piece off.

When you can, send it in and get the case replaced. You don't want to keep it with a cracked case.

877-426-3777
    Mon- Fri 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PT
    Sat – Sun. 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT
    I believe the basic tech support line is open 24/7, and corporate support (407 531 4496) is open until 11 eastern 6 days a week. I've actually called later then 11 and they have picked up, HP support is the best of any tech company i have experienced. Good luck to everyone with cracked cases.