Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Just realized my wife's 32GB has a hairline crack too, by the speaker.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Received my advance replacement yesterday. Its a refurb but looks like new. Charged it up, registered it and installed from my backup. Removed the Uberkernel, ran WebOS Dr, and put the cracked TP in the box. Back it goes. Very happy with the swap-- it was an easy process.
    Just discovered a crack. It's about 3/4" long.

I had it in the TouchPad case the entire time.

Going to try StealthArmor, the Skinomi skin doesn't work well in the case due to the corner flaps. Looking on StealthArmor, it just covers the back.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    Just discovered a crack. It's about 3/4" long.

I had it in the TouchPad case the entire time.

Going to try StealthArmor, the Skinomi skin doesn't work well in the case due to the corner flaps. Looking on StealthArmor, it just covers the back.
    Can anyone post a close up of these cracks you guys are talking about? I've had my tp in the folio case since I got it and recently put on a full body Skinomi protector (which btw, turned out better than expected). I haven't noticed any cracks...unless I'm looking at it wrong.
    My 64Gb and 2 cracks I contacted HP, they told me to send them a photo of crack and they will call me next week for the warranty process
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatboyNYC View Post
    Can anyone post a close up of these cracks you guys are talking about? I've had my tp in the folio case since I got it and recently put on a full body Skinomi protector (which btw, turned out better than expected). I haven't noticed any cracks...unless I'm looking at it wrong.
    Run your finger along the ege betweenthe two speakers....
    That's how I found the crack on my Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by arnao05 View Post
    wow I just looked at mine and it's definitely cracked. never dropped it or anything. very disappointing.
    yeah my touchpad has cracks too. Im taking such good care of it to. No drops, in HP case, plus lifetime replacement screen protector.(one on the right side of the left speaker, and 2 cracks on the left side of the right speaker) :'(. Got mine from Wal-Mart for $648 and when the sales hit this customer service lady call this other guy, and he didn't give a crap about me spending $500 more than everyone else. They didn't even wanna give me any store credit. All the guy kept saying is "I know did you see the date on your receipt?" I got so mad I thought to myself I will go print one out, up to date! HEY! Hey Wal-Mart take down your stupid lies down. The large posters that say customer satisfaction guaranteed! Now I think back I should have asked for the manager. Oh another thing to notice! Feel the edges of you touchpad screen, bc mine (I noticed in a week after purchase) is kind of sticking out more on the bottom by the home button, and the side of the speakers. Check yours please reply. So I knew its not only my touchpad with this "labor/parts defect."
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/01/2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: approved
    I finally had my replacement set to be shipped to me. After 3 chat consults and a call I managed to have them lower the hold amount from 360 to 1 dollar with no fees at all. I let them know it was unacceptable for them to go that route with me.

I'm worried about receiving a refurbished unit but better than getting a machine with a crack.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have seen a few post in the other threads of people reporting cracks in their replacements. It it generally thought that it is structural weakness.
    I just found a crack on mine and another one developing on the other side. I keep this tp on the touchstone most of the day and BABY it when it's not - I can't believe this.

Maybe this is why HP discontinued the TP... It might be cheaper dumping them than handling 1,000,000 repairs or calling out a recall.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Soo... I just put some scotch tape on the crack by my left speaker. Originally I was worried about messing it up more by doing so, but that ended up being foolish, because the crack eventually broke all the way to the edge... At this point, the Scotch tape is doing an OK job. I THINK that the case itself is actually what cause the crack. I think it is putting unneeded stress on the shell by the way it "snaps" in. Whenever I first put the tape on, I took the TP out of the case and the casing was flush with the screen.. But over time, the case seems to pull the casing away from the screen again - causing the "lift" I assume people are talking about. Might try super glue as a more permanent solution.

But before I do anything permanent, I have another observation. It seems that the rubber that goes around the screen and separates it from the casing has become uneven. So parts have fallen slightly below being flush, and some parts are a tiny bit above. Any thoughts on fixing the "rubber band" before I glue it up? Should I be anticipating more problems as a result? Right now I'm just leaving it as is and hoping it doesn;t get worse and that the tape does the job....
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    My TP is cracked as well. A hair line off of one speaker, and a significant crack on the other speaker that was separating so badly I had to glue it.

Called HP webOS support and they're sending me a box and label to ship it in for a repair (or swap?).
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hope I will not have a crack! My TP is 3 weeks old and nothing so far!!! Is everyone getting this crack???
    My TP is cracked as well. A hair line off of one speaker, and a significant crack on the other speaker that was separating so badly I had to glue it.

Called HP webOS support and they're sending me a box and label to ship it in for a repair (or swap?).
    HP offered me a replacement, but the same will happen with another unit, so is it worth getting a REFURBISHED unit that will end up with the same problem? At this point, I'm keeping my Touchpad - scotch tape and all! LOL :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I'm not an design engineer but after reading the majority of this thread I've come to the conclusion that the plastic material along with design of the TouchPad is at fault. I've been using mine now around two weeks and so far no cracks but I've been making sure that when I pick it up and put it down I do it by holding it by both edges and therefore not putting any pressure on one side or the order. Also while in use I'm holding it with both hands, not favoring one side or the order but basically letting it rest both hands.

I'm sure that if I were to handle it the same way as I do my iPad (grabbing it with two fingers from either side when I pick it up) it will eventually crack. The combination of the plastic material used and the location of the speakers along the edge makes for a very poor design decision. BTW, the TP has been in it's case since I bought it but I honestly don't think that makes much of a difference when it comes to preventing cracks.
    mine has the cracks in both speakers. I'd like to send I in and get fixed but what's the point if the next is going to do it...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newuser5298 View Post
    mine has the cracks in both speakers. I'd like to send I in and get fixed but what's the point if the next is going to do it...
    I feel that too, but my TP cracked to the point that the casing between the speaker and screen was coming off. If it happens with a new casing then I'll just live with it glued up.

Are there had any horror stories with sending TouchPads back to HP for fixing due to the cracking? If there is good reason not to send it in for servicing I'd love to know ASAP.
    Got mine back from repair today. They messed up my screen protector... but well, cracks are gone. Also did a software reset -.- (got to love those standard procedures)
    Fingers crossed, hopefully staying crack-free :P
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolingo View Post
    Got mine back from repair today. They messed up my screen protector... but well, cracks are gone. Also did a software reset -.- (got to love those standard procedures)
    Fingers crossed, hopefully staying crack-free :P
    Did they say that they'll replace that unit if (when) it happens again? Unless they redesigned a discontinued model, I have no doubt that cracks will affect ALL Touchpads

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    Did they say that they'll replace that unit if (when) it happens again? Unless they redesigned a discontinued model, I have no doubt that cracks will affect ALL Touchpads

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    They said as long as it still is under warranty they will repair it once again (German support)... but since the majority doesn't have problems with cracks I guess I'll be alright.
    Actually I would not want a replacement unit, because I'm quite satisfied with my screen and wouldn't want to take the risk of getting a worse one ^^