Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I recently purchased a 16GB Touchpad during the fire-sale. I noticed there were some hairline cracks surrounding the microUSB port. I am concerned the cracks will propagate and eventually cause irreparable damage. I purchased a case the first day I bought the device and I have been babying it since. This is clearly a manufacturer defect. How should I proceed from here?
    I would suggest try calling the webOS butler service number first. If that doesn't help you should try 1-800-Hp-invent for warranty support.
    Quote Originally Posted by xmai77 View Post
    I recently purchased a 16GB Touchpad during the fire-sale. I noticed there were some hairline cracks surrounding the microUSB port. I am concerned the cracks will propagate and eventually cause irreparable damage. I purchased a case the first day I bought the device and I have been babying it since. This is clearly a manufacturer defect. How should I proceed from here?
    The cracks are well know, both around the speakers and the USB. However, having it fixed isn't the best idea. If it causes no functional issues at all it would be best to use some super glue and see how that goes.

However, notify HP about the problem so that you have it on record.

I had one of my TouchPads fixed because the cracks on the speaker also caused the screen to have issues however, when it returned it was worse--the screen had a lot of give to it when pressed firmly and caused artifacts form the pressure.

Furthermore, the shell has not been redesigned. They are using the same shell thus you might just end up back where you are with all the hassle.
    <threads merged>
    Is HP still offering these options for Touchpads with cracks?
    (repair, replacement, 1-year ADP, $25 apps credit)
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_T View Post
    Hi, Could use some advice. I have a 32GB TP that has several issues. I have a dead pixel, the back light leaves 3 streaks from the bottom toward the top when the screen is dark, not really an issue but I'm concerned this might get worse and I've also got the speaker crack problem. This Touchpad is only 2 weeks old. I called HP and they will fix the crack under warranty, but told me they'd only leave a notation regarding the other problems.
    So, my question is how could I get HP to fix the other 2 issues? Are they covered under HP's warranty? Thanks in advance.
    I contacted HP again; and demanded they fix or replace due to the dead pixel issue. They assured me they would. Kinda sucks having the thing for only 2 weeks and having so many issues. I bought it new and would like to have a new one with 0 issues.
    I contacted HP again; and demanded they fix or replace due to the dead pixel issue. They assured me they would. Kinda sucks having the thing for only 2 weeks and having so many issues. I bought it new and would like to have a new one with 0 issues.
    people who don't have any issues with their purchases
    rarely write about it on the internet forums....
    Just so you know, a single dead pixel is considered acceptable by some LCD manufacturers. Some require a certain amount of defects before return. Not sure what HP's actual policy is though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    So, even though I was offered ADP 2 weeks ago, they finally got in touch with me this week, even though the window was 24 hours, and basically said they are not offering it anymore. Oh well, I'm thinking of having them send me the advance replacement, with $150 charge on it, keeping it and my old unit, and selling the replaced unit on ebay. Is this a good idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by funk3r View Post
    So, even though I was offered ADP 2 weeks ago, they finally got in touch with me this week, even though the window was 24 hours, and basically said they are not offering it anymore. Oh well, I'm thinking of having them send me the advance replacement, with $150 charge on it, keeping it and my old unit, and selling the replaced unit on ebay. Is this a good idea?
    why would you possibly think this is a good idea?

ok I FINALLY got my tp back today no email, just a package laying on my porch when I got home. The suspense was killing me. Did I get a refurb? Did I get a repair? Did I just get my broken unit back untouched?

Well it looks like I have the same serial number with a new cover so I am happy. The screen was also starting to lift at the bottom and I'm happy to say that is fixed as well. I didn't even mention that as a problem so it was nice of them to fix it anyway. It would have been nice to have some communication with the repair center but what can you do.

Good luck to everyone who sent theirs in! there is hope
    Last edited by lafester; 09/27/2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post

ok I FINALLY got my tp back today no email, just a package laying on my porch when I got home. The suspense was killing me. Did I get a refurb? Did I get a repair? Did I just get my broken unit back untouched?

Well it looks like I have the same serial number with a new cover so I am happy. The screen was also starting to lift at the bottom and I'm happy to say that is fixed as well. I didn't even mention that as a problem so it was nice of them to fix it anyway. It would have been nice to have some communication with the repair center but what can you do.

I had so hoped not to have to write in this thread but I discovered a crack by my left speaker today. So disappointed! I called HP and had it logged and will send it in for repair. What do I have to do to it before sending it in? Do I have to take everything off? Apps, preware? Hopefully not the apps since I paid for them but if I do, how do you reinstall them when you get your tp back?

I have a launch day tp that was in the HP case from day one and babied and never dropped. Never even left the house with it yet. So it was not for lack of care of it.

I am glad you do get your same tp back because I do want this one back. It has been a good one up until the crack issue. No other problems with it at all.

the HP guy did say you have until your warranty is up to send it back so no rush but I worry about the crack getting bigger. It is moving towards the screen by the left speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post

I don't see how its not a good idea. I mean I am paying for it. Might as well sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierratop View Post
    I had so hoped not to have to write in this thread but I discovered a crack by my left speaker today. So disappointed! I called HP and had it logged and will send it in for repair. What do I have to do to it before sending it in? Do I have to take everything off? Apps, preware? Hopefully not the apps since I paid for them but if I do, how do you reinstall them when you get your tp back?

I have a launch day tp that was in the HP case from day one and babied and never dropped. Never even left the house with it yet. So it was not for lack of care of it.

I am glad you do get your same tp back because I do want this one back. It has been a good one up until the crack issue. No other problems with it at all.

the HP guy did say you have until your warranty is up to send it back so no rush but I worry about the crack getting bigger. It is moving towards the screen by the left speaker.
    yeah just do a wipe before sending it in. your paid apps stay with your account so when you sign in they will start downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by funk3r View Post
    I don't see how its not a good idea. I mean I am paying for it. Might as well sell it.
    try to justify it all you want but that is not what you promised hp when you authorized the advance exchange. you would be taking a tp out of the pool of refurbs making someone else wait longer for an exchange. besides i'm pretty sure hp would actually charge you more then $150 if you don't return it.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    people who don't have any issues with their purchases
    rarely write about it on the internet forums....
    This is true. But honestly sending in a cracked touchpad so they can replace it with another faulty casing, or another touchpad with a faulty casing, isn't going to do anything but postpone the next crack.

They aren't going to retool their parts for a dead product. If mine starts to crack it's superglue time.
    Just got 2 cracks in mine. It's lived from day 0 in the folio case.

HP is sending an advanced exchange unit. They reassured me that (1) it's new, and (2) it won't happen again. Something about the conviction in the rep's voice makes me wonder whether it was a bad batch of plastic or something.

Also, now wondering whether that folio case is enough protection at all....
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Has anyone had any crack issues with the replacement or repaired Touchpads they received from HP after having Crack issues with the primary Touchpads?
    Quote Originally Posted by felixdd View Post
    HP is sending an advanced exchange unit. They reassured me that (1) it's new, and (2) it won't happen again. ....
    Has HP received more new Touchpads? When I spoke to them about
    replacing my Touchpad, they assured me that (1) it's refurbished, and
    (2) no guarantee that it wont' happen again. (but did say that I can
    exchange it again if the refurbished unit gets cracks).

I ended up not replacing it and was forced to accept the 1-year ADP
    and $25 App Catalog credit.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    This is true. But honestly sending in a cracked touchpad so they can replace it with another faulty casing, or another touchpad with a faulty casing, isn't going to do anything but postpone the next crack.

They aren't going to retool their parts for a dead product. If mine starts to crack it's superglue time.
    just apply superglue carefully. I did mine and put too many superglue on it. And it's now ugly there and irreversible. :-(

I asked technical support guy and he told me applying superglue does not void your warranty, unless the device is damaged because of it.
    Last edited by matchqq; 09/28/2011 at 08:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Has HP received more new Touchpads? When I spoke to them about
    replacing my Touchpad, they assured me that (1) it's refurbished, and
    (2) no guarantee that it wont' happen again. (but did say that I can
    exchange it again if the refurbished unit gets cracks).

I ended up not replacing it and was forced to accept the 1-year ADP
    and $25 App Catalog credit.
    I have been waiting for my advance replacement order placed last week. At the time they told me that the advance replacements are refurbished units. I guess we'll see when it arrives-- will post the results.
    How would you know whether it's refurbished?

And where do y'all live? I'm in Canada. Perhaps geography has something to do with it?