Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 33 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Which US company makes IPS LCD screens?
    Quote Originally Posted by l44l44 View Post
    Which US company makes IPS LCD screens?
    None that I'm aware of.

Apple iPad 2 screens(at least the thousands of bad ones)
    are made by South Korean company called LG.

Not sure who makes the screens for HP Touchpads.
    cord#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    To be fair, I think the part suppliers are mostly to blame. HP(and Apple) share
    the blame by not monitoring the quality of the parts they're receiving. These
    parts are almost always inferior South Korean & Communist Chinese parts.
    US and Japanese mad parts are usually better quality, but cost a bundle.
    You think?

You have no idea who supplied what and you shouldn't demeaning other countries in this. Samsung makes best display and did you even count how many gadget are using those? Chinese assemble most of the electronic stuff and since when all they produced are just bad?

Lets leave those baseless speculations out of the conversation.
    I just noticed a crack on my 32GB touchpad. Have people had good success with putting a small dab of superglue? The crack is so small I don't really care about it, I just don't want it to get worse..
    I've not noticed a crack on my or my bf's TouchPads (32 GB) yet. Here's hoping...
    Forbes reports. "Customers complain HP's $99 TouchPad develops cracks" .....
    Customers Complain HP's $99 TouchPad Developing Cracks [Updated] - Forbes
    2 weeks in and there's a tiny short crack from the bottom of the top speaker (when held vertically with the button on the bottom) directly toward the screen. it is about 1mm in length or less right now. i've been monitoring it since day 1 of buying it. It's been in a case since day 2 or so. the case has more padding than the hp case and i carry it around in my backpack (isn't that the point of a tablet to be able to take it with you?).

anyway, is there anything to be done to stop the crack from spreading while it is still in its infancy?
    I phoned HP (from Australia) and have been made to send through a picture of the crack and a scan of the invoice....I guess jerkwods are trying to rip them off.

No idea what happens from here but.

So probably not a good idea to share pictures of your crack online as someone will re-use it for their false claim.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Alright, here's an update on my cracked TP fiasco. I bought it on August 25. 10 days later, I noticed the crack on my speaker. I called it in, they offered me a case, but I asked them to fix it. They shipped me a box (arrived about 2 days later), I shipped it back the following day. I just received my "fixed" unit back today and they haven't touched the hardware. All they did was wipe my hard drive and wrap the TP up in plastic. That's it!

I called support and they're sending me a replacement, but now I have a hold on my credit card until the new unit arrives. What the heck?!!! They sure did waste a lot of time and a lot of money on shipping to do nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdcup View Post
    Alright, here's an update on my cracked TP fiasco. I bought it on August 25. 10 days later, I noticed the crack on my speaker. I called it in, they offered me a case, but I asked them to fix it. They shipped me a box (arrived about 2 days later), I shipped it back the following day. I just received my "fixed" unit back today and they haven't touched the hardware. All they did was wipe my hard drive and wrap the TP up in plastic. That's it!

I called support and they're sending me a replacement, but now I have a hold on my credit card until the new unit arrives. What the heck?!!! They sure did waste a lot of time and a lot of money on shipping to do nothing.
    Before you send it back again, I suggest taping a big Post-It sticker with a big arrow pointing
    to the crack.

A few months ago, I sent my laptop in for repairs because one of the keys on the keypad
    was unresponsive/stuck. I sent it in and got it back in 3 days. They cleaned my laptop,
    put on a sheet of plastic over the screen, but didn't do anything to the keyboard. I called
    them and started the whole process again. The rep verified that they had notes in their
    system that clearly said which key was broken. This time I got smart and taped a big note
    on the keyboard. I drew a big red arrow pointing to the broken key and wrote "FIX THIS KEY!"
    A week later, my laptop came back fixed(actaully, they replaced the whole keyboard assembly).
    The tech who did the job wrote on my original note "FIXED... Thanks for the arrow or I would
    never have found it" (the laptop was a Sony Vaio, by the way)
    somline and thirdcup like this.
    Probably old news now but my Touchpad also has this, three days after delivery. Thankfully I'm not really bothered about it, I'll be sticking it in a case soon enough and it doesn't impair my usage.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Two months and my 32 GB TouchPad still does not have any cracks.

HOWEVER, I opened the box to my White 64 GB today and it has a small crack - much more noticeable because it is white, but still only about 1 mm long.

I have no idea what to do. What are the chances that HP will send me a new WHITE one?

Getting a case for a white one defeats the purpose if it covers the white portion. Ugh.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    take a chance and see what HP says.
    They're obliged to fix/replace it through warranty, but that said, white TPs are pretty rare. I would definitely give it a shot if it bothers you, no harm in trying after all
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    brum likes this.
    Now that I think about it.... does anyone have any info or guesses on why the
    cracks are appearing in the first place? (I don't have the energy to go back
    and read 400+ posts )

If it's a defect in the plastic material, won't all Touchpads eventually get the
    cracks?
    Time to tell my fiance the bad news... he's got cracks. If only I could dress up as a Dr. to tell him this. >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdcup View Post

they better not do that to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    Now that I think about it.... does anyone have any info or guesses on why the
    cracks are appearing in the first place? (I don't have the energy to go back
    and read 400+ posts )

If it's a defect in the plastic material, won't all Touchpads eventually get the
    cracks?
    Design fault (too thin) or manufacturing fault. I'm inclined to think the former as it really does look like a crack waiting to happen.

Yes, a substantial number of TouchPads will get the fault, but presumably the replacement ones being sent out are redesigned, or better made. At what point in the production run the improvements were made we don't know. So all those made before that unknown date will crack, all those after shouldn't.

I think it was back in July that the matter surfaced on the HP's own forums and the thread was quickly locked by the moderator who advised affected persons to contact HP and discouraged (indeed, prevented) further reports being made.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikimashokie View Post
    Time to tell my fiance the bad news... he's got cracks. If only I could dress up as a Dr. to tell him this. >.>
    if my wife dresses up as a doctor or a nurse, I know she's up to no good.
    My wife's has yet to crack and it was right next to mine when we bought them at walmart, serial numbers were a lot closer than the refurb I got which is many many numbers newer. I don't think it had much to do with production run order.