Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Mine is crack free so far. I think I'm just going to have to put a skin on the back, that might help (at least it does when I'm trying to cut plastic or glass, keeps the cut from "spiderwebbing").
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    LOL!

I'm sure your crack is real , I was just hearing about the sudden and from the sounds of it unexpected usage of ADP codes at HP and it seems a bit prevalent. It made me think about that discussion and I wonder how big the pool of "dishonest" individuals really is.
    Just wanted to cover myself if some HP rep a year from now tries to blame me
    for causing the crack.

I think there are indeed many Touchpads with cracks. I've now spoken to three
    different HP reps. They all told me that most owners are choosing to return their
    Touchpads to HP for repair or exchange with a refurbished unit, instead of
    accepting the ADP or free case offers. (which sounds very alarming to me )

My crack is there, but not so big that I'm willing to risk getting a refurbished one.
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    Just wanted to cover myself if some HP rep a year from now tries to blame me
    for causing the crack.

I think there are indeed many Touchpads with cracks. I've now spoken to three
    different HP reps. They all told me that most owners are choosing to return their
    Touchpads to HP for repair or exchange with a refurbished unit, instead of
    accepting the ADP or free case offers. (which sounds very alarming to me )

My crack is there, but not so big that I'm willing to risk getting a refurbished one.
    just got off the phone w/ HP. They only offered to have it sent into them to be fixed. Since mine really does need to be fixed that's ok, but the rep didn't mention any other options at all. . . Probably out of cases and refurbs lol

I sure hope they have fixed the design flaw.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    well... I documented the crack by taking several close-up shots of the crack.
    I printed out a couple of the photos as well as a description of the crack.
    Then I had a notary public sign/date and put her notary seal on it. That should
    be evidence enough, in case of any disputes. (he notary public happens to
    be my next-next-next-door neighbor who only charges me a symbolic $1 for
    a seal )

I just hope that the crack doesn't get any bigger. I really do not like having
    to get a refurbished Touchpad from HP.
    this is my plan 100% take pictures of the crack, have a description and take the device description and pictures to a notary public and have her sign stamp and seal that junx's for me.

what is the number for the HP customer service people are calling to claim this?
    not sure where to click under this menu.

HP - United States | Contact HP / Customer Service
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    My 2-week old 16GB Touchpad just got a crack yesterday by one of the speakers. It doesn't extend all the way to the front . . . yet. I had a skin on it to try and prevent this too.
    Add my 2 week old 32gb to the choir. Really don't fancy all the rigmarole of returning the device. At the moment it's tiny and very much cosmetic. I'm not going to to mess with super glue just yet - if I was to contact HP for a repair I think smothering the thing in glue wouldn't go down too well. Plan is therefore to see how it goes and if it gets so bad I can't live with it, call HP. Mind you I'm in the UK and I'm not quite sure how easy getting a repair will be...
    the only bad thing about keeping it is they will eventually blame you for the damage.
    best to at least call/chat and complain about it so you have something on file.

I went ahead and sent mine in for repair today. hopefully i do not get a refurb back.
    two out of my 4 32gig touch pads have the crack. my personal TP has a crack on both speakers, one is starting to spider into the back of the touch pad. build quality on these cases are starting to **** me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    the only bad thing about keeping it is they will eventually blame you for the damage.

I went ahead and sent mine in for repair today. hopefully i do not get a refurb back.
    I've seen a lot of people talking about refurbs and how they are concerned with them, let me try to clarify the repair situation for anyone going with this option.

When they repair the touchpad, it will become refurbished, but you will receive the SAME touchpad as you sent in. The serial number will be the same. What they do when you send a TP in for repair:

1. Replace the glass (Actual "repairing" process)
    2. Wipe the hard drive clean (WEBOS doctor app)

Doing these makes your touchpad a "refurbished" model now. It is 100% mandatory to wipe the hard drive, and this should of been explained by the CSR for HP and by the information in the box.

Don't worry about receiving some dumpy replacement touchpad, you will get the same touchpad if you send it in for repairs...just...repaired! Sucks they have to wipe the HD though..
    Call Sams Club to see if there's anything they can do for you... they don't have any
    more TPs, obviously... but perhaps they can offer you "something else" for your
    troubles?

The manager of my local Costco offered me a free Costco Cash Card and 3 extra
    free months of my executive membership.... because they wouldn't pricematch
    the Touchpad that I bought prior to the firesale. I ended up returning that
    Touchpad anyway. The cash card and 3 month membership extension amounted
    to roughly $40 free. Obviously, this is YMMV. The manager at the other
    local Costco that's 10 miles close to my home, is never that generous.
    I thought about it, but i dont have time to look for another touchpad online. I'm OK with waiting a week for it to be repaired, hell...i waited 3 to get one in the first place. Sam's club also said i could return the product within 30 days of ordering it even after HP sends me back the repaired product. So either way i am fine, hopefully -_-
    Tell them to do an advance replacement and waive the fee, that's all I had to do. And sending it in for repair doesn't guarantee yours will be repaired, you may very well get a refurbished unit. Refurbs are as good as new in this case. They replace any broken parts and put a new battery in. You won't get a subpar item just because it's a refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcky View Post
    I've seen a lot of people talking about refurbs and how they are concerned with them, let me try to clarify the repair situation for anyone going with this option.

When they repair the touchpad, it will become refurbished, but you will receive the SAME touchpad as you sent in. The serial number will be the same. What they do when you send a TP in for repair:

1. Replace the glass (Actual "repairing" process)
    2. Wipe the hard drive clean (WEBOS doctor app)

Doing these makes your touchpad a "refurbished" model now. It is 100% mandatory to wipe the hard drive, and this should of been explained by the CSR for HP and by the information in the box.

Don't worry about receiving some dumpy replacement touchpad, you will get the same touchpad if you send it in for repairs...just...repaired! Sucks they have to wipe the HD though..
    Good info. I don't mind wiping the drive. I went with repair because I want to know I have a new cover, installed and inspected by a human. I know it could still crack but I feel my odds are better this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post

Wait... I don't think people who currently have cracks in their Touchpads need
    to worry.

The HP webOS support supervisor told me that's precisely why HP is offering
    the free year of accidental damage coverage(HP Care Pack with ADH, $49).

He said it's for customers who prefer not to do an exchange or repair at this time.
    If the customer decides to exchange/repair the Touchpad later(within the one year
    warranty), there's no need to worry. Even if you accidentally drop the Touchpad
    and cause a much bigger crack or other damage, you're covered by the HP Care
    Pack with ADH. (so there will be no need to argue about who caused the crack)
    Wait... I don't think people who currently have cracks in their Touchpads need
    to worry.

The HP webOS support supervisor told me that's precisely why HP is offering
    the free year of accidental damage coverage(HP Care Pack with ADH, $49).

He said it's for customers who prefer not to do an exchange or repair at this time.
    If the customer decides to exchange/repair the Touchpad later(within the one year
    warranty), there's no need to worry. Even if you accidentally drop the Touchpad
    and cause a much bigger crack or other damage, you're covered by the HP Care
    Pack with ADH. (so there will be no need to argue about who caused the crack)
    Yeah but they didn't offer me the warranty. if they did i would have jumped on it.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    *sigh* Mine cracked tonight, and I've been babying it in the HP folio case.
    well, speak of the devil.. I just looked, and sure enough, I now have a crack. Thank god it was only $120....32gb with coupon
    it will be interesting to see if people who sent there TP in for repair develop the cracks yet again around the speakers. a very likely possibility. I have a small crack near my upper speaker and I'm sort of waiting to see if it gets any worse before I phone HP about it or send it in.
    So can anyone speak to having had a skin on their TP, but still having had the casing crack?
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    it will be interesting to see if people who sent there TP in for repair develop the cracks yet again around the speakers. a very likely possibility. I have a small crack near my upper speaker and I'm sort of waiting to see if it gets any worse before I phone HP about it or send it in.
    This is obviously a design flaw, and without a redesign, it will likely happen to most touchpads.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    So can anyone speak to having had a skin on their TP, but still having had the casing crack?
    I have the HP official case, and have never mishandled it, and still it cracked..
    Update!

Skip the repairs fellas, i told the HP CSR that i wanted to speak with a manger and i demanded the advanced exchange fee be waved and a new TP be shipped to me ASAP. He agreed.

Will have a new TP in 2-3 business days. Just be firm and demand the fee be waved, also make sure you check your CC balance after you send the old one back just to make sure those sneaky *******s dont try anything.

Hope this helps someone, instead of waiting almost 3 weeks to send my defective one in, wait for repairs and wait for it to be sent back, i am getting one this week, and i dont need to worry how long it takes for my old one to get to them.

I just hope my new TP doesn't develop these cracks or i may shoot myself.