Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    According to the Corning site, the TouchPad is NOT listed as one of the products that uses Gorilla glass.
    Perhaps this problem is not be as big as you might think. For example if you read that 1000 people have this issue on forums that might seem a lot. However, if there are 1.000.000 touchpads sold that would be only 0,1 %.

Off course only people who experience this issue post in these threads. No one makes a topic "my touchpad has no cracks" or: "My touchpad has good battery life" or: "My touchpad's screen has no scratches".

So what I'm trying to say is that these forums don't reflect reality and make things seem worse.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm waiting anxiously for my touchpad, which should arrive this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pazienza View Post
    Perhaps this problem is not be as big as you might think. For example if you read that 1000 people have this issue on forums that might seem a lot. However, if there are 1.000.000 touchpads sold that would be only 0,1 %.

Off course only people who experience this issue post in these threads. No one makes a topic "my touchpad has no cracks" or: "My touchpad has good battery life" or: "My touchpad's screen has no scratches".

So what I'm trying to say is that these forums don't reflect reality and make things seem worse.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm waiting anxiously for my touchpad, which should arrive this week.
    The problem with that idea, is that all 1,000,000 owners are active on this board, and that all have closely inspected their pads for this problem.

Fact is, there are too many people reporting problems for this to be chance. The fact that the pads are showing the same failure in the same place, means this is an engineering defect, and more people (including myself) should expect an eventual crack..
    Quote Originally Posted by ailire View Post
    According to the Corning site, the TouchPad is NOT listed as one of the products that uses Gorilla glass.
    Is this the list with the following disclaimer above it? -"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed."
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    First, I'm gonna admit, I didn't read all 20 pages here; however, it seems like everyone is saying they have this issue, and other than trying to get a replacement no one has posted a solution (not that I don't understand that logic).

I did come up with a simple fix if you're like me and don't want to deal with getting a replacement. A brief background, originally I was just going to ignore the crack, then I went to use my TouchPad one day and noticed that the plastic above the speaker had actually lifted up maybe a cm or 2, so I decided to try to fix it. /background

All you need to do is get some PVA glue and a toothpick. Use the toothpick to put a little bit of glue under the plastic (this probably only works if like me the plastic lifted up). I used enough glue that some oozed out onto the screen and out of the crack (position you glue so it doesn't leak into the speaker grill) let it sit a minute and wiped up the excess glue with a dry cloth. Then take a rubberband (i used a #64 but any will work) and string it around the TouchPad so one side is holding the plastic down and the other is between the power and volume buttons. Then let it sit for 24 hours before taking the band off (you can use it durring that time, its just annoying dealing with the rubberband in your way).

Anyways, it worked like a charm for me, now it just looks like the hairline crack it started as, but is actually more solid than before the crack appeared.

If you can't find something calling itself "PVA" glue, Tacky Glue will work (same thing just much thicker than ordinary PVA).

Last edited by srkDesign; 09/11/2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added photos, sorry they arn't very good shots
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    Did you actually read that thread? Gorilla glass is more resistant to scratching and breaking than normal glass. But it is, you know, GLASS. The guy dropped it 4 feet onto a hard surface without a protective case!
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Did you actually read that thread? Gorilla glass is more resistant to scratching and breaking than normal glass. But it is, you know, GLASS. The guy dropped it 4 feet onto a hard surface without a protective case!
    I don't think a protective case would have made that much difference.
    ...at least not thin cases like the original HP Touchpad case or any of the
    leather folio cases.

a 4-foot drop can probably be saved by an Otterbox-type case.... but
    they have told me that they decided not to.

I noticed that on-location reporters for The Weather Channel wear their
    iPads around their neck like DSLR cameras. I wonder where they get
    those cases/straps.
    I have noticed that my screen has started to lift by the home button.
    not sure how these are held together but i would suspect that it is a related issue.
    I have my return box ready and it will ship out tomorrow. hope to receive repair service, not a refurb. we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    I don't think a protective case would have made that much difference.
    ...at least not thin cases like the original HP Touchpad case or any of the
    leather folio cases.

a 4-foot drop can probably be saved by an Otterbox-type case.... but
    they have told me that they decided not to.

I noticed that on-location reporters for The Weather Channel wear their
    iPads around their neck like DSLR cameras. I wonder where they get
    those cases/straps.
    I'm hoping my HP Targus Truss order comes through as those look pretty well padded.. It was confirmed but seems to be in limbo now.
    yes, i remember similar thoughts and comments when i created the 'how many times have you exchanged your pre' thread years ago... "all blown out of proportion" ... "oreo? not that many."

Quote Originally Posted by Pazienza View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I'm hoping my HP Targus Truss order comes through as those look pretty well padded.. It was confirmed but seems to be in limbo now.
    I have my Touchpad in the Griffin Elan case for the original iPad.(about $5 from
    Verizon Wireless) Works perfects, somewhat bulky, but very protective, I think.

Back to the crack:

The HP webOS support rep has called me back again. I accepted their offer for a
    free 1-year accidental protection plan which is normally $49 on their website.
    I didn't choose the free HP case because I already have it... I also don't want
    to exchange it for a refurbished Touchpad at this time.

The rep instructed me to go to the Apps Catalog and download the HP Care Pack.
    She gave me a promo code for me to purchase the care pack.

Guess what? It said the code had alread been used.(geez... just like those free
    app promo codes HP gave out last week ) She put me on hold for a few minutes
    and gave me another promo code. Once again, it said the code had been used.
    She put me on hold. A supervisor came on the line and apologized. He explained
    thay the support team gets a batch of promo codes for the $49 HP Care Pack.
    They don't know which ones have been used, but apparently all have been used
    up for today. Theer must be a quite a few Touchpads with cracks if they
    had used up all the Care Pack promo codes for the day, right?

They will call me tomorrow with a new promo code so I can get the $49 HP Care
    Pack for free. I thank them and hung up. Both the rep and her supervisor were
    very nice and spoke English with US accent. She wouldn't acknowledge that she
    was in India, but said "all I can tell you is that it's past my bedtime here...."
    It's 11AM here in California and 11PM in India.(hint, hint)

I cannot understand how their computer would pop up a promo code that had
    already been used. I don't really mind, as long, since they're calling back tomorrow
    to give me a "virgin" code.... but... I think this is just another prime example of
    how HP's business is not heading in the right direction.
    Last edited by roundruler; 09/11/2011 at 01:45 PM.
    My 32g from Sams Club arrived saturday, low and behold - a giant crack going from the power button all the way to the speakers, right across the screen. Not something anyone could "live with" (it's very noticeable)

Called HP, at my first call i told this chick my problem and she said (short version) "No, GTFO, not under warranty"...so i call again and speak with a guy, he offers me a repair option, where they send me a box and i send back my touchpad. They take 7-10 business days to repair it, then send it back repaired.

I called again today and asked about the advanced replacement option, and the chick said it was an extra $50...was this the case with everyone else?

She said "$350 on hold on your CC, then we return $300 of it after we get the old TP back"

Something about this seems wrong, i'm tempted to call again and demand the advanced replacement option at no cost, but im not sure...

If anyone had the advanced replacement option, can you tell me if they charged you around $50 for it? meaning, they took $50 of the $350~ from the CC hold they had on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcky View Post
    My 32g from Sams Club arrived saturday, low and behold - a giant crack going from the power button all the way to the speakers, right across the screen. Not something anyone could "live with" (it's very noticeable)

Called HP, at my first call i told this chick my problem and she said (short version) "No, GTFO, not under warranty"...so i call again and speak with a guy, he offers me a repair option, where they send me a box and i send back my touchpad. They take 7-10 business days to repair it, then send it back repaired.

I called again today and asked about the advanced replacement option, and the chick said it was an extra $50...was this the case with everyone else?

She said "$350 on hold on your CC, then we return $300 of it after we get the old TP back"

Something about this seems wrong, i'm tempted to call again and demand the advanced replacement option at no cost, but im not sure...

If anyone had the advanced replacement option, can you tell me if they charged you around $50 for it? meaning, they took $50 of the $350~ from the CC hold they had on you.
    Is the crack on the screen glass?
    Yes, the crack is on the glass, i can still use the TP fine, touchscreen works great, but the glass is cracked.
    Mine is cracked too... lame. Looks like the screen is seperate, unlike in the pre... so atleast it won't spread (hopefully). Any ideas on gluing/etc to head off the problem getting worse?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcky View Post
    Yes, the crack is on the glass, i can still use the TP fine, touchscreen works great, but the glass is cracked.
    Call Sams Club to see if there's anything they can do for you... they don't have any
    more TPs, obviously... but perhaps they can offer you "something else" for your
    troubles?

The manager of my local Costco offered me a free Costco Cash Card and 3 extra
    free months of my executive membership.... because they wouldn't pricematch
    the Touchpad that I bought prior to the firesale. I ended up returning that
    Touchpad anyway. The cash card and 3 month membership extension amounted
    to roughly $40 free. Obviously, this is YMMV. The manager at the other
    local Costco that's 10 miles close to my home, is never that generous.
    Back to the crack:

The HP webOS support rep has called me back again. I accepted their offer for a
    free 1-year accidental protection plan which is normally $49 on their website.

Guess what? It said the code had alread been used.(geez... just like those free
    app promo codes HP gave out last week ) She put me on hold for a few minutes
    and gave me another promo code. Once again, it said the code had been used.
    She put me on hold. A supervisor came on the line and apologized. He explained
    thay the support team gets a batch of promo codes for the $49 HP Care Pack.
    They don't know which ones have been used, but apparently all have been used
    up for today. Theer must be a quite a few Touchpads with cracks if they
    had used up all the Care Pack promo codes for the day, right?
    There's actually some discussion I read today about people "pretending" in order to receive a free case or ADP... I get the feeling many of these promo codes and cases might be going to people who don't actually have cracks.

So, while this is clearly a big problem with lots of members here reporting issues, I get the feeling there might be some shadyness going on here as well...
    I've ckecked my device a few minutes ago and what i should say: I have two little, fine cracks at the speaker at the buttom of my Touch Pad - after one week! And i didnt drop it in any way
    Too bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    There's actually some discussion I read today about people "pretending" in order to receive a free case or ADP... I get the feeling many of these promo codes and cases might be going to people who don't actually have cracks.

So, while this is clearly a big problem with lots of members here reporting issues, I get the feeling there might be some shadyness going on here as well...
    well... I documented the crack by taking several close-up shots of the crack.
    I printed out a couple of the photos as well as a description of the crack.
    Then I had a notary public sign/date and put her notary seal on it. That should
    be evidence enough, in case of any disputes. (he notary public happens to
    be my next-next-next-door neighbor who only charges me a symbolic $1 for
    a seal )

I just hope that the crack doesn't get any bigger. I really do not like having
    to get a refurbished Touchpad from HP.
    well... I documented the crack by taking several close-up shots of the crack.
    I printed out a couple of the photos as well as a description of the crack.
    Then I had a notary public sign/date and put her notary seal on it. That should
    be evidence enough, in case of any disputes. (he notary public happens to
    be my next-next-next-door neighbor who only charges me a symbolic $1 for
    a seal )
    LOL!

I'm sure your crack is real , I was just hearing about the sudden and from the sounds of it unexpected usage of ADP codes at HP and it seems a bit prevalent. It made me think about that discussion and I wonder how big the pool of "dishonest" individuals really is.