Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Nah I haven't even received my case yet.. supposed to come today. I have been carrying it in my backpack with no case, that's about as much abuse as it has seen. Certainly not enough to warrant a crack this bad.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    UGH I have it too. I've had mine for a week, I've carried it everywhere but handled with kid gloves, in a hard sleeve when transporting, no drops at all. it's just like the USB crack on my Pre+ (that thankfully never got worse) and now that the plastic is separate material from the glass it's not likely to affect the screen but darn it for $600 bucks (less Amazon credit and adopter rebate) it should last longer than a week! guess I'd better get something rolling with support...

Thanks for the heads up, I never would've looked that closely at it so soon!

Clarice
    I was watching that video review and...

Could be much worse than just a couple of touchpads. I hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jahjahlove View Post
    I was watching that video review and...

Could be much worse than just a couple of touchpads. I hope not.
    I hope not either. This and the random reboots would sink the Touchpad quicker than the reviews about the thickness and weight of the device. I started a thread to promote the TP against what some reviewers are saying but this is something that can't be ignored. Build quality and newer technology sank the Pre. Although I suspect the plastic was used because of the touchstone, that is a bad trade off IMO. I'm hoping HP does a good job with this OTA update and wows us over the next month or I'm not recommending that anyone purchase a TP.
    My developer pad cracked in the same spot, and it has really only ever been hooked up to the USB drive of my laptop. My guess is there is probably a structural defect in that location created during the process of punching out the speaker holes. I know mine was an early build, so crossing my fingers that the problem is confined to the early runs.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Just text chatted with HP using the TouchPad help link, he basically said that when the speaker/sound quality becomes affected to contact them at that time to process a repair order.

He never addressed my questions about what will happen if the crack spreads, or a second one happens on the other edge of this speaker and the plastic piece between speaker and glass falls out.

We got disconnected briefly and when we reconnected I could see what he typed but he couldn't see me, so I didn't get an answer on my question whether this early breakage would now be logged somewhere, so there wouldn't be any question later on whether it was wear&tear...

Sigh... I guess we'll see how it goes. I got the USB crack on my Pre+ not long after getting it, and had multiple yellow spots on the screen, but never pursued with Verizon or Palm because the thought of a refurb scared me!

Might try Amazon another day to see about an exchange...

Clarice

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just noticed mine has a hairline crack near mini usb port exactly similar to pre and pre plus devices. Intentionally bought touchstone to avoid this still picked up must be while transfering media through hp play sync. Called and registerd with support and sent photos.They informed if enough complaints come they will look at it as manufacturing defect. Apple used to see this in 3g and 3gs models as defect and replaced it if under warranty. Hope HP will do the same. Not a good feeling to have this crack in one week after nearly waiting for 2 years waiting for webos tablet. Hope everyone registers with the support when they get the crack.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah I would inquire with company of purchase since you are within what would be a valid return/exchange with company of purchase. Not sure on Amazon policy, but most brick and mortar give 30 days for exchanges (sometimes only 14 or 15 on certain electronics).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I noticed a crack near my speaker the other day and was racking my brain trying to figure out how it happened. Seems to be a design flaw in the case. While terribly unfortunate, it's not likely to make me return my TouchPad, which I'm head over heals in love with.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjps View Post
    I noticed a crack near my speaker the other day and was racking my brain trying to figure out how it happened. Seems to be a design flaw in the case. While terribly unfortunate, it's not likely to make me return my TouchPad, which I'm head over heals in love with.
    Same here, though we should register with support to record the effect.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    When will H.P./Palm learn, Hardware first, Software second. Webos 3.0 is real good, love the os and panes in the apps. The whole os is smooth and sweet, Then to have them wrap it all up in the cheap black plastic like the Pre and Pre + is dumb to say the least. This is going to come back and bite them in the rear as it did on the Pre's. I loved my Pre + but went back to the Bold 9650 because of hardware. I also bought the Playbook for the same reason, Hardware first, Software second. Software can be tweeked, Hardware is what it is. I really hope HP takes care of the customer and solves this issue. The Touchpad and Pre 3 would be my way to go, But HP needs to focus on HARDWARE FIRST! everything else can be fixed with a little code. This is in no way a Webos bash, don't get me wrong. I love the OS. But having a great cpu and internals does nothing when wraped in cheap plastic.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    HP support called me back today.. they opened a case and are referring me to the engineering team. supposed to get another call within 24 hours. stay tuned.
    no cracks on my TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    no cracks on my TouchPad.
    Same here <fingers crossed> <knock on wood> <etc., etc., etc.>
    The hairline crack. Lets see what HP comes back with fingers crossed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arnao05 View Post
    so i just got done talking to webOS support.. they said they may be able to replace the device and someone should be calling me tomorrow.

here is a picture of the offending area
    Quote Originally Posted by kchan283 View Post
    The hairline crack. Lets see what HP comes back with fingers crossed.
    I'm curious, those spots on the Touchpads, are they flecks of paint/bruising? Or dust?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Same crack here..spoke with Tech support and he offered an advance replacement...but replacement would be refurb. He then put me thru to the HP online store sales (bought it there - HP retiree) and she offered a full replacement with a completely new one...but I would have to return mine first.

I opted for the new and so I will be TP free for a couple of days as I wait for the replacement. I did get next business morning delivery on the return side so I am OK.

But...it reminds me exactly of the USB cracks on my pre-, not good
    kchan283 likes this.
    I picked my up and lo & behold their was a crack at the plastic next to the right speaker between the speaker and the glass. As I read thru these posts it seems sort of obvious that there is a weak spot right there. I purchased my TP from BB & will try to take it back to them. As information I am also a big palm/webos fan and have purchased 2 of the pre+, pixi for my wife, then a pre 2. I really want for my pre 2 get the update, the TP needs to have what it was promised to have (& oh yeah where is the break we are getting for sticking with palm/hp). Ok - venting complete, there are definitely some awesome things, but even tho I try to sell these because I believe they can be the best, HP needs to make a much bigger effort to sell them, and follow through on what they say they can do.
    As you get older and you've bought a lot of stuff from many different manufacturer you start to realize two things:

1) Everything breaks! It doesn't matter who the company or what material they make the product from, if it is made by man it will have some type of flaw in it.

2) If its expensive make sure it has an excellent warranty or buy additional insurance.

Here is my track record so far:

Mercedes 230 Bad fuel line and brake caliper (caused an accident) less than a year after purchase

Toyota Tercel. Cracked exhaust manifold (was recalled) 3 times after purchase.

Honda Accord. Front passenger door safety light fell off one month after purchase (car had 30 miles on it). I never even used that door until the day it fell off.

2 x iPod. Locked up, then got the frown face screen. Both were less than a year old

Sony Laptop. Power button popped off one year after purchase

iPod Touch. Screen cracked after dropping less than 5 feet on carpet

Palm Pre. USB door was cracked on phone bought at Best Buy. Found it before I left the store. Got another one. USB door feel off new one two years later.

That was just scratching the surface. We won't even talk about stuff that went wrong with my house which was made by a reputable builder.

Do I blame HP for these cracks? Yes. Just like I blamed all the other reputable manufacturers of the other products. However, I wouldn't get too upset with it. I would just take mine back and make them give me another one. Brand new, of course! Don't let them give you a refurbished one. The thing was just released!
    FMC. Just made a thread for this...should search next time! Unacceptable, I see this happening to a LOT of people.
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567 12 52 ... LastLast