Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Just got my advance replacement as well. Has a warmer ting than my first one or my wife's. I think I like it but not real sure yet. Makes it easier to tell them a part though!
    2 days after I got it I put it in the OEM case, had it in there since, noticed the speaker cracks yesterday... Honestly got depressed lol, I love this thing. unless it spreads im gonna leave alone.

Edit: Also, since this is gorilla glass we dont need to worry about the crack going into the screen like we had with the pre right???!?!?!?!?
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    2 days after I got it I put it in the OEM case, had it in there since, noticed the speaker cracks yesterday... Honestly got depressed lol, I love this thing. unless it spreads im gonna leave alone.

Edit: Also, since this is gorilla glass we dont need to worry about the crack going into the screen like we had with the pre right???!?!?!?!?
    gorilla glass? lol

Guys, hold on tight to your TouchPad - xda-developers
    Looks like this happens with a majority of them. Noticed on mine after about a week and was perplexed since it's not had anything but the gentlest treatment. I just put a drop of super glue in the crack and it did the trick.
    that's what I do with my pre, I may leave these alone (they are tiny) and act if they grow bigger
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    gorilla glass is scratch resistant not shatter proof
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

so hp offered me advanced exchange or repair. I was hoping they would just offer the damn warranty but no dice. I opted for repair but then at the very end they said they might send a refurb if they can't repair it. ugh. i don't want a damn refurb or i would have just did the advanced exchange. has anyone done the repair option and received a refurb?? should be easy enough to swap covers but i am still worried.
    Has anyone who has had a repair or replacement performed noticed anything different about their new/repaired TP? Is the plastic any different?
    Considering the issue has made Forbes, I went ahead and called HP today.
    Beside calling HP, does anyone have any solutions for fixing this product yourself to prevent the crack from getting worse such as Gorilla Glue, superglue, or any type of epoxy?
    had mine since the 20th of august hasn't been inside any case ever and no problems here at all! Have dropped my touchpad before aswell and its in perfect condition still all over.

must be a US batch problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikimashokie View Post
    Considering the issue has made Forbes, I went ahead and called HP today.
    Lol, I was quoted on Forbes! Whoohooo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Beside calling HP, does anyone have any solutions for fixing this product yourself to prevent the crack from getting worse such as Gorilla Glue, superglue, or any type of epoxy?

Superglue has always worked on my pre. DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE. It drys white not clear so you can see it CLEAR AS DAY. super glue drys much clearer and is harder to notice so you get less questions about it
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

there was video showing a guy shot a bullet at a gorilla glass device with no shatter.

tp is probably not gorilla glass. Hp didn't say it, gorilla glass maker didn't list it. Exactly who actually claimed tp has gorilla glass after all?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    there was video showing a guy shot a bullet at a gorilla glass device with no shatter.

tp is probably not gorilla glass. Hp didn't say it, gorilla glass maker didn't list it. Exactly who actually claimed tp has gorilla glass after all?
    From a previous thread, it was mentioned by someone that the corning list does not list all gorilla glass devices.

I call BS on gorilla glass surviving a gun shot... maybe one has survived one, with some additional crazy/lucky circumstances, I am pretty sure this wouldn't/couldn't be considered the normal user experience.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    ok but it is a good question - why do we think those devices have gorilla glass? What is the source for that claim?
    Looks like you can now add me to the list of well. I've been keeping any eye on mine and just noticed a crack developing on it.

Knowing about this problem beforehand I have keep my TP in the case the entire time and used it very lightly. In fact it hasn't left my bedroom and whenever I used it I did so in portrait mode taking care to only hold it from the top and bottom sides or more often then holding I would place it on a soft flat surface to be used such a bed or pillow.

Interestingly it was fine up until last night when I decided to listen to some music on my TP at just below medium volume for about an hour. I hardly used the speakers before then for then a minute or two at time. So I'm sort of leaning towards the speakers causing the cracking after some use.

Definitely seems to be a design flaw which I suspect about every TP will eventual develop regardless.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 09/10/2011 at 04:12 AM.
    I finally got a rep who offered me the case, but I can't decide if I should accept.
    Right now, the crack on my case doesn't bother me because it's small. From a
    ditances, it just looks like a scratch. If I push it a bit, then it's clearly a crack.
    I figured the free case would be enough to cover up the crack. It's between
    the two speakers and shoudl be covered by the case.

If I accept HP's offer of a free folia case, does the warranty still cover my
    Touchpad? (in case the cracks gets worse)

Edit: on seconds thought... wasn't this HP case only $20 when Best Buy
    had it on sale last week? So... is HP trying to buy my silence for only $20?
    I have a light scratch and I've babied my touchpad. Never dropped and has never left my bedroom