Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 27 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    I got a call back today, just under 24 hours from my original chat session. They setup the advance exchange and waived the fee as promised. As I've been wiping off all of my modifications, just holding it like usual, the crack went full through on the right side. I hold it mostly on the left. Now it sticks up terribly. My wifes doesn't seem to have the issue. I bought them at the same time at Walmart, they were literally side by side and she uses hers more than I do!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Are most of the touchpads that are cracking from earlier batches or is it completely random??
    Until my wifes shows cracking, I'm going to say random. Or maybe very specific about how you hold it.
    I've kind of wondered if holding it between the speakers adds undue stress to that area given the thinness of the plastic - or - if maybe the cases are already weakened in particular areas during assembly (such as getting hairline cracks around the speaker holes in the case as the screen is snapped into it and those opening up later as people handle them after purchase).

I don't think I've read of anyone opening up a brand new TP and seeing cracks...
    so has anyone had the tp since release and had NO cracks? this is concerning
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    so has anyone had the tp since release and had NO cracks? this is concerning
    It is concerning that we have a 17 page thread on this BUT people not having issues don't tend to hunt out forums to talk about the issues they're not having.

I seem to recall reading earlier in the week that an estimated 2% of Touchpads have this issue. I can't recall how "solid" that statement was but I don't have any reason to disbelieve it - yet.

I'd, also, be curious to know how many of those who have TP's with cracks go on to get replacements that also crack. One thing I noticed with the Pre was that those who had issues would sometimes go through 3 or 4 phones while others would keep their launch day phones without issue. Maybe a particular way of holding them or handling them is highlighting a weakness that shouldn't be there.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Previously only a refund was offered as there was "no stock", I haven't waited since January 09 to let my first webOS device go. HP confirmed my DOA unit here in Australia with cracks on both speaker surrounds and a bright pixel, waiting on a replacement unit now.

Way too addicted to this thing. Using an iPad fitted sleeve to cart it around, really want the OEM case.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by pnt0058 View Post
    Mine cracked at both speakers too I called 2 days ago and was promised a call back in 2-3 days from HP to setup an advanced replacement. I still haven't receive a call or an email on the status of my claim. How long did HP take to send the refurbished unit to you after you made the claim?
    It took about two days surprisingly. Problem now is that this refurb screen is so much dimmer, with a weird tint to it. They're sending me another unit, which means I'll have three in my possession . I'm hoping this newest one is good so I can send then bad ones back. But then again they do only have a $100 hold on my CC.... Hahaha σ_σ
    Are all of these crack problems on 16GB/32GB models, or do the white 64GB cases suffer from this problem as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by iainkirk View Post
    Are all of these crack problems on 16GB/32GB models, or do the white 64GB cases suffer from this problem as well?

Just got my white one in, and lo and behold, the first thing I notice is a crack. This sucks.
    This morning and after reading this topic, I inspected my touchpad and I found the dreaded hair line crack on the black shell next to the right speaker, I called HP CS and they offered me 3 options.

1 - Leave it as it is as they believe this is not going to interfere with the hardware functioning properly and they offered me an extended 1 year warranty on it.

2- An HP folio case for free ha!

3- Overnight a replacement new unit while they hold $365 on my credit card until I return the defective one.

so I went for the third option obviously, I tried to get them to waive the $365 hold, but it was impossible.. so I ended up giving up my cc #, the rep said that I will receive it in 24hrs.. considering today is Saturday and it is labor day weekend.. maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

My question is:

I have my current Touchpad with all the patches and overclocked right now.. what is the best and easiest way to get WebOs to stock?

Thanks..

Steak
    Last edited by Steak; 09/03/2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak View Post
    This morning and after reading this topic, I inspected my touchpad and I found the dreaded hair line crack on the black shell next to the right speaker, I called HP CS and they offered me 3 options.

1 - Leave it as it is as they believe that this was not going to interfere with the hardware functioning properly and they offered me an extended 1 year warranty on it.

2- An HP folio case for free ha!

3- Overnight a replacement new unit while they hold $365 on my credit card until I return the defective one.

so I went for the third option obviously, I tried to get them to waive the $365 hold, but it was impossible.. so I ended up giving up my cc #, the rep said that I will receive it in 24hrs.. considering today is Saturday and it is labor day weekend.. maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

My question is:

I have my current Touchpad with all the patches and overclocked right now.. what is the best and easiest way to get WebOs to stock?

Thanks..

Steak
    Doctor
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Well add me to the list lol. Only took two days and now I have a crack on my left speaker. How is HP verifying purchase on these? got mine off ebay so i don't have a receipt. I'll probably just opt for the free warranty. doesn't sound like the refurbs are any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    Well add me to the list lol. Only took two days and now I have a crack on my left speaker. How is HP verifying purchase on these? got mine off ebay so i don't have a receipt. I'll probably just opt for the free warranty. doesn't sound like the refurbs are any better.
    They will ask you for the serial number.. you can get it from the sticker on the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak View Post
    They will ask you for the serial number.. you can get it from the sticker on the box.
    Or the system info applet, or the SIM pop out thing on the top right (landscape orientation.)
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Well I have been keeping an eye on my touchpad and low and behold, just now, looked and saw both sides have millimeter hairline fractures. Kinda disheartening to see but I might be able to stop it from cracking more, any one have suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by dlochinski View Post
    Well I have been keeping an eye on my touchpad and low and behold, just now, looked and saw both sides have millimeter hairline fractures. Kinda disheartening to see but I might be able to stop it from cracking more, any one have suggestions?
    get it replaced! The tp of mine that were just hairline cracks have gotten much worse in just a few days. If you don't mind a refurb get it replaced.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disoriented View Post
    get it replaced! The tp of mine that were just hairline cracks have gotten much worse in just a few days. If you don't mind a refurb get it replaced.
    Yeah, for the moment, they appear to be scratches, but im certain that how the cracks begin. Over the next week, if it continues to get worse, I am probably going to hit up their support, I just really want to avoid replacing since my unit runs perfectly fine, screen is great. Also feel like a replacement might lead to the same issue, but can't really bank on that.
    It is how they begin. That's how my speaker cracks started. Believe me, I know how you feel, mine is perfect besides the cracks, and the refurb I got has a screen that is not even close to my original. I called back and they'll be sending me another replacement.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disoriented View Post
    It is how they begin. That's how my speaker cracks started. Believe me, I know how you feel, mine is perfect besides the cracks, and the refurb I got has a screen that is not even close to my original. I called back and they'll be sending me another replacement.
    Yeah, I am picking up the OEM case tomorrow, I hope that the cracking can stop with the case on, even tempted to reinforce and bond the plastic together with some sort of resin or something. I have dealt with RMAs and such, and for the most part, I usually try my best to avoid it. With the cracks being more cosmetic than functional, I figure having it reinforced might serve better than the gamble of a crappier screen, though keeping my warranty in mind, might not be super wise to reinforce if something else goes wrong. Ugh.

Anyway, good luck on your replacement, maybe third times the charm?