Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    So I've been taking care of my replacement touchpad to try to prevent the new one from cracking. Lately I've been noticing that the case was starting to creak more and more. Lo and behold, second touchpad with a cracked casing. This time by the headphone jack. And this one was babied from day one to prevent this very thing.

HP can you do one thing right?

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    A bestbuy employee told me they had to return all the original demo units because they were recalled by HP for the cracking by the speaker. Has HP addressed this issue with newer units? If so I wonder if the "last run batch" being currently manufactured wont have this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnipeUout View Post
    A bestbuy employee told me they had to return all the original demo units because they were recalled by HP for the cracking by the speaker. Has HP addressed this issue with newer units? If so I wonder if the "last run batch" being currently manufactured wont have this issue.
    No. This final run is almost certainly made of left over parts from the sudden stoppage of August's production. I really doubt LoserLeo would let anyone devote one more red cent to dev work on a dead tablet.
    I doubt it's purely left overs. Maybe some components but the plastic parts will be molded. Plus how many are they making, 1000, 10000, 100000, more? Regardless I hope the quality doesn't decrease.

Are the cracking issues on the release models or are all TP susceptible to cracking. Hopefully it was a bad batch of plastic and HP addresses it shortly after release. The poll in the forum showed around 2% of users on this forum have a cracked iPad.
    I would not be surprised at all if there weren't 1000's of plastic cases stocked up. They might need to produce something here and there but we have to remember that the production line was apparently shut down, suddenly, a production line supposedly making 400k a month. They weren't molding cases just in time to slap them together. They were ordering parts to make 4-6 million the first year (with a supposed ramp up for the holidays, I would guess).

Also, the number they are producing seems up in the air. There's no indication they are making a specific amount and it's very open ended as to how "limited" the run might be. My guess is that they are simply going to keep making them until they run out of existing parts, rather than produce bulk amounts of major components. Remember, they aren't making a profit here.
    So my Touchpad (purchased on 8/20) had the crack issue show up today. It had never been dropped. I put it in the HP Slim case on Monday. Used it this morning...no crack. Pick it up a little later...crack. After a quick google search I found this forum. Since going to a store for an exchange is out of the question I called HP Support. I explained the situation. After some discussion it was determined that my repair would be an out of warranty repair. Since it did not arrive cracked I would have to pay for repair. The cost of the repair.....$235. I laughed a little out loud and the agent I was speaking too could understand why. I asked why it was out of warranty since it was something that I didn't actually do. I didn't want to put up too much of a fight but its just frustrating. I like my gear to be in the shape I purchased them in unless its something that I actually do.

Basically if you have this problem and its not your fault you should not be as honest as I was. If it happened within a reasonable amount of time since your purchase you're better off telling them it arrived that way. Not sure what the resolution would be but it did sound as if it would need to be sent in for repair.

My solution was much less expensive...some carefully placed superglue and its fine. Had it been a full price purchase I would have fought a lot harder (or returned/exchanged in store since it would be more available). While I'm disappointed that the crack appeared at all, I'm still very happy to be a webOS user.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevil View Post
    So my Touchpad (purchased on 8/20) had the crack issue show up today. It had never been dropped. I put it in the HP Slim case on Monday. Used it this morning...no crack. Pick it up a little later...crack. After a quick google search I found this forum. Since going to a store for an exchange is out of the question I called HP Support. I explained the situation. After some discussion it was determined that my repair would be an out of warranty repair. Since it did not arrive cracked I would have to pay for repair. The cost of the repair.....$235. I laughed a little out loud and the agent I was speaking too could understand why. I asked why it was out of warranty since it was something that I didn't actually do. I didn't want to put up too much of a fight but its just frustrating. I like my gear to be in the shape I purchased them in unless its something that I actually do.

Basically if you have this problem and its not your fault you should not be as honest as I was. If it happened within a reasonable amount of time since your purchase you're better off telling them it arrived that way. Not sure what the resolution would be but it did sound as if it would need to be sent in for repair.

My solution was much less expensive...some carefully placed superglue and its fine. Had it been a full price purchase I would have fought a lot harder (or returned/exchanged in store since it would be more available). While I'm disappointed that the crack appeared at all, I'm still very happy to be a webOS user.
    Don't lay down and take it in the ! Call back and demand a replacement. It's under warranty and they know about this issue.
    I had a crack yesterday, then this morning after putting it away with one, it now has two. I chatted with HP and they said they'd do a premium advance replacement for $59 plus 300+ hold on my CC. I said that wasn't going to happen, this is a manufacturing defect. They waived the fee and will call me tomorrow to setup the replacement.
    Ugh, I thought it was a mini scratch yesterday and now I'm looking at it and there is a crack at each speaker. And my glass is raised. Going to contact HP via chat tonight and see what they can do. This is pretty lame.
    Mine cracked about a week after purchase. Both speakers and at the USB port. HP had no problem offering me either the advanced replacement option (and they waived the fee without me even asking) or the option of repair service with a $10 app credit. I opted for the replacement. Glad to see HP is still standing behind their product.
    got cracks on one speaker. Never noticed due to cover I have on it--oh well, will glue and cover. Hope it holds till 2+GHz quad-cores hit the market :-)
    don't want to exchanger a refurbished
    seems like it would be easier just to mail out new covers.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    seems like it would be easier just to mail out new covers.
    That was my thought as well, but I believe the "cover" is really where everything inside is installed. If you look at any of the service sites, they show removing the screen and all the guts are left inside the back cover. Therefore replacing the cover would mean removing and re-installing all the components -- not a simple task.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    get a skin that actually covers the speaker area. I've only seen on solar that looks like it does this Bodyguardz
    Quite a good collection here:
    HP TouchPad Skins
    interesting idea. wonder if a skin would keep it from cracking in the first place.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Mine's cracked as well, always handled it gently. Noticed the crack yesterday, the plastic seems to be sticking out a bit today, it wasn't yesterday. Getting ****ed.
    both of my speakers are cracked along with another on the back that wraps to the bezel. CS gave me a free advanced exchange, which I received today. When I opened up the refurb, the screen was noticeably dimmer along with a very yellow color. Called up and said it was unacceptable and they'll be sending out another returb. Hopefully this one will actually be a quality product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya213 View Post
    Mine's cracked as well, always handled it gently. Noticed the crack yesterday, the plastic seems to be sticking out a bit today, it wasn't yesterday. Getting ****ed.
    It will stick out more in time which is why I returned mine for another one, which now has a crack at the headphone jack

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by disoriented View Post
    both of my speakers are cracked along with another on the back that wraps to the bezel. CS gave me a free advanced exchange, which I received today. When I opened up the refurb, the screen was noticeably dimmer along with a very yellow color. Called up and said it was unacceptable and they'll be sending out another returb. Hopefully this one will actually be a quality product.
    Mine cracked at both speakers too I called 2 days ago and was promised a call back in 2-3 days from HP to setup an advanced replacement. I still haven't receive a call or an email on the status of my claim. How long did HP take to send the refurbished unit to you after you made the claim?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    seems like they still have some TouchPads... Mine is cracked too, but I am gonna glue it. Too much time tweeking to do it again.