Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I wonder if I should wait to return mine with all the new tps being returned to HP and then get a new one as a replacement...
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    So my original device also had a crack on the speaker(I could move the plastic around it wasn't really a crack more broken off...) that everyone else seems to be getting I also had a crack on one of the corners and the screen wasn't really flush with the case so I ordered a replacement from HP. They sent me it overnight which I really liked because I was going out of town. Now I notice again there is another crack near the speaker. I am pretty sure last time I receive a NEW device, and I do not want a refurb which I will most likely have more problems with.

I'm trying to decide now if I ship the device to HP again, or simply live with the crack. This is really frustrating the weight of the device is barely noticeable to me. I don't understand why they didn't use a metal in the first place. I'm honestly hoping that some 3rd party company comes up with a cover replacement option. I do have the HP case which this device has been in all the time so I'm baffled as to how this crack keeps appearing. I haven't dropped my touchpad at all either. I'm almost thinking its the way I am holding the touchpad which might apply pressure to that area I guess. You'd think HP would have gone through more testing before they threw this device on the market. I really hate leo for screwing us like this.

-Toaster
    I would call Leo up fast and get a refurb... any dreams of replacing with a new unit ended on Saturday.
  4. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    woke up this morning and noticed the case on my TP just cracked towards the screen. I thought it was a piece of lint until I wiped my finger across it. I got my device on 7/31 and its cracked already. I think we are experiencing this because of the way it was manufactured. They made this thing so the case could be taken off without screws, but the plastic around the speaker isn't strong enough to take the stress of keeping the case attached to the frame of the unit. I think the only way they could've gotten around this was to use a different material for the edge of the bezel.
    Yep. The crack by the speaker is definitely frustrating. Rather than deal with a return, refurb, and reinstallation of all my stuff, I just slapped a piece of black electrical tape on the crack. Figured that would probably hold better than glue!
    Here's the innards:
    Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: Popping off the front panel assembly | 8 of 74

Not sure it worth the risk to open to fix a crack somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    Here's the innards:
    Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: Popping off the front panel assembly | 8 of 74

Not sure it worth the risk to open to fix a crack somehow?
    Considering it cracks on many of them just by being ON the device, I think actually prying the thing open would add even more stress to the casing and potentially lead to cracks elsewhere.

The only way I'd do that is if I was actually replacing the back casing with a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
    Those of you with cracks: was your TP snapped into a case? (Wondering if the case puts stress on the corners...)
    I was wondering about this as well. I have my TP on the HP case ALL THE TIME.

So whats the prettiest solution to this problem??
    Mine cracked by the speaker also, never dropped. Hopefully soon I can find a replacement back.
    Hi...Newbie Here....just got off the phone with HP and was offered one of three choices for my "cracked case" ( i.e. cracked by the speaker).

1. Free HP case ( from HP website $29.00 )
    2. Free 1 year ADP ( I just recently purchased for$49.00 )
    3. Send the unit in for repair

I took option #1 as I can live with the crack as long as it is in a case ( which I should have bought in the first place ) and I really did not want to go through the hassle of shipping back and risking life with a refurb.

Worst case is I now have a free case and I ship it back for repair in 360 days.

I did confirm that my accepting the free case does NOT negate my ability to return for warranty repair with in the warranty period, should I decide to do so. Case looked pretty nice on HP website and will be here in 3 - 5 days...
    You said you just purchased ADD for one year for $49? And they offered you a second year? I would have taken that instead but at least you're getting a case. I have the HP case and it didn't stop my speaker from cracking and the speakers don't get covered by the case either.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I'm curious as to whether people with cracks around the speakers use their speakers at high volume for extended periods of time. That's a lot of vibrating going on. I avoid heavy and loud speaker usage because it's common sense to me that the vibration isn't exactly good for such a device.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    I'm curious as to whether people with cracks around the speakers use their speakers at high volume for extended periods of time. That's a lot of vibrating going on. I avoid heavy and loud speaker usage because it's common sense to me that the vibration isn't exactly good for such a device.
    That could be possible but I doubt it. The case already creaks when you hold it and is worse when the cracks develop. I'm certain there are uneven pressures holding this thing together that cause cracks when the device is handled over time.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    That could be possible but I doubt it. The case already creaks when you hold it and is worse when the cracks develop. I'm certain there are uneven pressures holding this thing together that cause cracks when the device is handled over time.
    Mine has never creaked or exhibited any sign of being shoddily constructed. I'll admit I immediately transferred it from the packaging to the folio case and haven't removed it since... but I handled my brother's touchpad bare for a while, and before I came across a couple threads like these I was under the impression the device was very sturdily made.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    You said you just purchased ADD for one year for $49? And they offered you a second year? I would have taken that instead but at least you're getting a case. I have the HP case and it didn't stop my speaker from cracking and the speakers don't get covered by the case either.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    It was actually the one year support with ADP (as offered via the Care Pack App) ...

I guess my fourth grade math should have shown me the ADP coverage was the better "deal" but I did not want to go through the hassle of getting the original plan cancelled and replaced with the new "offer".....

I needed the case cover in either case....
    I do not beleive my playing Iron Maiden at the "11" setting caused the fracture. I believe the unit to be a sturdy build. I should have put it straight into a portfolio case as others described right out of the box. At the $149.00 price point I was not quite as gentle as I might have been had had I paid the original retail. ( not to say I was "rough" with it...I just did not treat it like a newborn....more like a toddler....)
  17. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I was wondering about this as well. I have my TP on the HP case ALL THE TIME.

So whats the prettiest solution to this problem??
    get a skin that actually covers the speaker area. I've only seen on solar that looks like it does this Bodyguardz
    I'm curious for if those seeing cracks had their TP's manufactured during early production runs or if it extends across all shipments. Maybe those who have cracks could post the first few digits of your serial number, such as:

5cl1180
    etc...
    pnutz409 and crucialcolin like this.
    does anyone know what type of plastic the touchpad housing is made of? I'd like to just glue it myself but I don't want to get glue that will eat the plastic speaker grille or screen. Thank you in advance!
    not sure if product number is read the same as server serials but the 3rd number was the year... 1 being 2011. The next two are the mfg week. So that num 5cl118 is made wk 18 of 2011... If that's a hp standard. Just guessing.