Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Contact HP.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Havent most people had to pay $$ for HP to replace it? be it shipping or "fees"?
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    If Staples will exchange it for you, that may be easier for you. I suggest you first verify they'll exchange it depending on how long you've had it. Many retailers will only exchange/refund within 14-15 days of purchase.

I contacted HP since I was outside the 15 day window with mine. They sent a reconditioned replacement which arrived within 2 days of me calling, which was on a Sunday. It shipped from Texas and I live in Arkansas, so it wasn't that long of a trip to make. I packaged the broken/old one in the same box and shipped it back to them with the prepaid shipping label included in the box.

They will put a temporary hold on your credit card for something like $365 until the old one is returned. But there was no service fee for this. Other than the time you spend doing all of this, you won't have to spend any money.

I don't have the phone number with me. I called that Butler service number and they're they ones to took care of all the arrangements. It was rather painless and drama free. Well, other than the fact of dealing with a manufacturing defect.

On a side note - if you do return it to Staples, I suggest you perform a reset through the Device Info screen in case one of the store associates gets curious and wants to play with it. This will remove your personal information and files. It wouldn't hurt to do the same if you ship directly back to HP, but they will wipe the memory clean anyway.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I already exchanged it once, my first one had a dead pixle and a crack by the USB out of the box- Friday is my 14th day- and thats the return policy at Staples.

After that if anything happens I will contact HP it seems- if they pay return shipping and no fee to swap it out for a new one thats great- CC hold is fine and understandable.

Also- yes, I always do a mem wipe before returning anything :-D

How long will HP exchange, 1 year as the manufaturer warrenty entails?
    the best action would be for a mod to merge this thread with the existing one. There is a lot of info in that one.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    the best action would be for a mod to merge this thread with the existing one. There is a lot of info in that one.
    I belive that one was closed b/c people where flameing each other- dont bring that into here :-) Just info!
    <<thread reopened>> Please discuss the issue at hand and no more flame-wars. Members are looking for help, not arguments. Thanks!
    donm527 likes this.
  8. w0z
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    So... those who have had this issue- what do you feel the best cource of action is/was?

Mine just now had a small speaker crack show up... I may return it yet again to staples for another one, as I do like it- and have spend $$ in apps (vid player, live stream, big boss)

But honestly, less than 2 weeks old- used in case and it has issues like this- not cool HP.
    My TP was purchased on eBay in late July. After the cracks issue was first publicized I checked mine and indeed there was a small crack in the left speaker hole (NE corner). I contacted HP support and they offered to ship a replacement with prepaid return but I decided to wait awhile since my unit is working fine otherwise. Since then I've noticed another small crack in the same speaker hole (SW corner) and the first crack has now extended all the way to the glass edge. In addition I now have a crack around the USB port which is quite large (extends ~3/8" on the back side).

I'm still inclined to wait until the 1-year warranty is about to expire and exchanging it then. This would give me a relatively new unit which hopefully has the crack problem solved and should have less mileage on the internal battery.

Someone was concerned about losing their apps. All apps purchased from the HP Store will be automatically restored when the new unit is activated. However if you have installed any Preware patches (besides the Preware tutorial from the store), these will need to be reloaded (but they don't cost anything).
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w0z View Post
    I'm still inclined to wait until the 1-year warranty is about to expire and exchanging it then. This would give me a relatively new unit which hopefully has the crack problem solved and should have less mileage on the internal battery.

My replacement unit didn't have the same wiggle between the edge of the glass and the case, unlike my original device. I've had my replacement for 3 weeks now.

I was about to say how it looks like the problem has been fixed. But my spidey-sense told me to take a close look. Sure enough, there seems to be the start of another small crack in the same spot you described. It's very tiny and all of 5mm long. I thought it was just a scratch at first but I can feel the crack after running my fingernail over it.

Sooooo, your logic sounds valid. I may call it in so it's "on record" and wait as you plan on doing. I was taking great care of it as well. I wonder if it's caused by placing it on the touchstone charger?

D'oh!!
    Havent most people had to pay $$ for HP to replace it? be it shipping or "fees"?
    This needs to be emphasized, for this particular problem, some users reported that HP will replace it for free, even with advanced replacement program.

People needs to know that they don't need to pay to get this problem solved. Be that via free replacement program (slower) or some advanced program.

Ask your options, and do NOT pay, because you don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Sooooo, your logic sounds valid. I may call it in so it's "on record" and wait as you plan on doing. I was taking great care of it as well. I wonder if it's caused by placing it on the touchstone charger?

D'oh!!
    i doubt touchstone is the problem. But wait a while for the stock to turn around once or twice before exchange is a good idea.
  11. w0z
    > I wonder if it's caused by placing it on the touchstone charger?

Probably not. These are stress fractures probably caused by the plastic not curing properly. My guess is that temperature cycling will make it worse so I'd expect to see a lot more problems when cold weather comes. Could be a BIG problem for HP if the don't jump on this very quickly.
    As I have stated before, I will wait to have my TouchPad replaced after they have truly solved the problem. My new question is: where did HP get all these refurbs so fast? With so many unsold (apparently) why not replace them with new units that are known to be baked in better? Sorry, I just question putting your early adopters through swapping out devices (sometimes multiple) when they(we) should be considered very valuable.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    As I have stated before, I will wait to have my TouchPad replaced after they have truly solved the problem. My new question is: where did HP get all these refurbs so fast? With so many unsold (apparently) why not replace them with new units that are known to be baked in better? Sorry, I just question putting your early adopters through swapping out devices (sometimes multiple) when they(we) should be considered very valuable.
    Well, i heard cracking is happening on maybe 1% of unit, return rate is usually higher than that.

I do agree they should exchange for new unit, considering the nature of te problem, i.e., not users' fault.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    My new question is: where did HP get all these refurbs so fast? With so many unsold (apparently) why not replace them with new units that are known to be baked in better?

I was wondering the same thing last month when I got mine replaced. HP planned on a certain defective/return rate for these devices and needed to be ready to have replacement units to swap out. There's no telling what the expected return rate was from their initial forecasts, only HP and the retailer buyers they shared this information with would know.

I imagine their repair facility started off with new devices (or at least the parts to make new devices) to kick-start the process. That's my conclusion based on the fact they sent customers a replacement before we're expected to send back the defective unit. If the defective return rate is higher than planned, they would need to increase their inventory of new devices (or parts) to keep ahead of the curve.

Once enough time has elapsed where defectives/returns are able to begin flowing back from the retailers, their repair facility will be able to use those as the reconditioned replacements. Chances are HP won't begin seeing these these returns from the big retailers (i.e.: Best Buy & Walmart) for several weeks after launch. You have to factor in the time it takes to send back from the store to the retailer's return facility, then on to HP. Retailers don't like shipping small individual packages back when they can save transportation costs by consolidating into larger quantities. Reverse logistics is a messy business.
    No. I did not pay a thing both times (crack in speaker/camera not working). HP sent both devices to me the next day free of charge.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    HP gets a perfectly good touchpad back sans case, they replace case = refurb :-P

I have to say, the Pre- refurbs I have gotten have been very much better than the ol first batch pre- i got from sprint all those moons ago.

What timetimes happens is this.

They will have company XYZ in China make 1m touchpads and 50k spare parts- once all that is used up they sometimes will source smaller orders of spare parts from another manufaturer- that sometimes will be better in quality- and you get refurbs that are better than new- also new are not looked at- new are packed and sold- refurbs have a person look and hold them etc.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    We should start a poll to see how wide spread this is.

Crack w/ HP case
    Crack w/out HP case
    No Crack w/ HP case
    No Crack w/out HP case
    dsalonius likes this.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    My new question is: where did HP get all these refurbs so fast? With so many unsold (apparently) why not replace them with new units that are known to be baked in better?
    Spoke to an HP rep about this refurb business. He told me that the units are most likely new (uh huh) but that since they are not in the box all packaged up for sale, they can't call them new. To be "new", they have to be in a box.

However, when I got my advance exchange, the screen had a flaw in it. I sent that one back as well.
    Got my exchange back from HP. Initially, it was 1 inch crack stemming from microUSB port. Then a couple weeks later, the infamous speaker crack appeared. I contacted HP and they of course waived the $59 fee. The retainer fee $365 I can live with because it will be returned. It was a two day turnaround time from call to delivery. Excellent service.
    It's been two days. All patches installed and kernel F15c up and running. No cracks so far, so I'm hoping it stays that way because I took care of the last one and cracks still riddled the back. All in all, HP gets a thumbs up for standing by their product and prompt swift service.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w0z View Post
    My TP was purchased on eBay in late July. After the cracks issue was first publicized I checked mine and indeed there was a small crack in the left speaker hole (NE corner). I contacted HP support and they offered to ship a replacement with prepaid return but I decided to wait awhile since my unit is working fine otherwise. Since then I've noticed another small crack in the same speaker hole (SW corner) and the first crack has now extended all the way to the glass edge. In addition I now have a crack around the USB port which is quite large (extends ~3/8" on the back side).

My cracks have developed in the same location and time frame. As you mentioned, I think I will wait about 9-10 months before I send it in. Hopefully they will have fixed the problem by then.