Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    some aftermarket place needs to make an alluminum case to replace the plastic one. All you need is specs and some place in china will make you 500 for like 1k$
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    some aftermarket place needs to make an alluminum case to replace the plastic one. All you need is specs and some place in china will make you 500 for like 1k$
    That's exactly what I saying. Someone needs do this and they have me as a customer for sure.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    HP needs to do this, not some third party aftermarket add-on manufacturer.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    I went with a lil super glue. Not pretty, but I have no desire to swap this out until I know they have really fixed it.
    Alas, the first flaw I've noticed with my TouchPad, and its the dreaded 'speaker-crack'! Performance wise I'm still going strong, so like you I'll use a dab of glue as I don't feel this necessitates rolling the dice with a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    I went with a lil super glue. Not pretty, but I have no desire to swap this out until I know they have really fixed it.
    the rapid replacement is for warranty issues. I hope the super glue does not give you problems when you go to replace it in earnest
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Ugh, gf just noticed it as well on my launch device.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Do we know how to decode the serial number or other means to find the date of manufacture? I remember with the Pre you could just type a code and a menu would come up with the production date.
    Last edited by Tikerz; 08/14/2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Mine had a crack about 1" from the left speaker, and the glass was popped out above the bezel on the one I got last weekend. Went back to Staples, and got one that was physically perfect, and so far so good. This could be like the Pre+ on VZ issues with the keyboard, the first run had cruft on the PCB for the keyboard and we had dropped and doubled keys.

This is what you get for outsourcing production to China. It's like toggling the randomly-lose bit.
    Maybe when Ruby told Josh Topolsky about "yield", he was talking about the TP casing.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Mine has the crack at the speaker too and I am very sure it actually cracked by itself while it's lying flat on my table, untouched, while being charged.
    To anyone that experiences this problem, don't glue it or anything crazy like that. Take it back to the store and exchange it or call the Butler service. They will have another to you the next business day. HP is aware of this problem and they "stand behind their equipment" so they won't give you much of a hassle. I've had this happen to me and their reaction time was fantastic.

I have another problem with my Touchpad. The camera is not working on the replacement unit they sent me. I didn't discover this until I download the Camera for Touchpad and the DigiCamera apps. I spent a several hours on the phone with the Butler service trying to fix the issue. They will literally stay on the phone with you all day if they need to. What impressed me the most is the Butler agent had a Touchpad in front of her and checked the apps out herself on her hardware. After walking me through doctoring the device, which did not help, I was bumped up to the engineers. The engineer I spoke to was shocked and told me that they had only one other recorded incident of this. He told me that "HP stands behind their product" and then he checked my mailing address to see if it was the same. After verifying that he sent me another Touchpad free of charge (like the first one). It should arrive on Tuesday.

I have learned like others have all over this forum that HP is serious about their products. The only other company that even comes close to this level of support is Apple. Since there is no "HP Store" to go to for direct exchanges like Apple, mailing it to me is the next best thing.
    I returned my first Touchpad (wi-fi not working), and eventually (with the Staples discount), purchased another. Looking closely at my 2nd device, there is a slight "ripple" in the plastic adjacent to both speakers (no cracks yet) which was NOT present on my first device. I suspect there was a "bad" run of some cases, with stress cracks eventually developing, even with gentle use. I expect mine will develop those cracks as well, and I will then exchange it at Staples. I'm sure HP has addressed this QC internally with the manufacturer, so newer production units should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    Only thing aluminum is going to do is make you feel better. It's not going to keep it from cracking. Especially if it is torqued wrong, which just might be the case with the Touchpad. A few of them made it pass Foxconn's QC undetected. I used to work on helicopters which were made out of metal a little stronger than aluminum and they cracked all the time. We had to stop drill some of the cracks instead of replacing the metal altogether (it still shocks people to know that they are flying in aircraft that has holes or cracks in them). I grow tired of hearing "they should have made it out of xxx". It doesn't matter it is still going to happen if someone screws up. What matters is whether or not HP accepts the blame and replaces it without charging you for it.
    I got myself a leather case. $12. So far so good.
    This is disturbing, it looks like we have a repeat of the original Palm Pre on our hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    This is disturbing, it looks like we have a repeat of the original Palm Pre on our hands.
    Yeah. I think HP should fire Foxconn. That's just my two cents. Doesn't matter if they use aluminum or steel in their design, these folks seem to screw something up. Look at how many iDevices have had problems. Apple uses Foxconn also.
    <arguing was cleaned>

inappropriate posts should be reported via the button provided for that purpose.

questions about deleted posts should be handled via PM.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...l-members.html
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 08/14/2011 at 11:30 PM.
    My girlfriend's Touchpad had a crack coming from the speaker and headset jack, she had it replaced with a refurbished one from HP and just yesterday she discovered a crack coming from the speaker on the refurb.
    Due to this thread degrading into nothing more than personal insults causing the P|C Staff to have to clean it over and over.... the thread has been CLOSED.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    So... those who have had this issue- what do you feel the best cource of action is/was?

Mine just now had a small speaker crack show up... I may return it yet again to staples for another one, as I do like it- and have spend $$ in apps (vid player, live stream, big boss)

But honestly, less than 2 weeks old- used in case and it has issues like this- not cool HP.