Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I bought my 32Gb last week and it shows signs of warpage(sp?) between the speaker. No cracks yet but on the front, where the rubber lining separates the glass and the plastic, that area is beginning to bend and the crevice is becoming more noticeable. Anyone else has this happening?
    crap I have a crack too. Never dropped. I have the foleo case AND a sleeve. If mine has a crack anyone else could get one too.

I was hoping the quality would be good and I love my TP but for a device that is supposed to feel like one solid piece it sure doesn't when I hold it. Mine creaks when I hold it in portrait mode. There must be pressure points inside the device between the case, screen and internals that are causing these cracks to appear.

Also of note, the glass and the case sits higher on the side where the speakers are as opposed to the side where the volume rocker and blank sim slot are.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    my original one had bleed through on a white background on a couple pixels and the depressed home button.

I exchanged it

and

*gasp*

didnt feel the need to start a thread about it
    Well that doesn't seem smart. Perhaps you knew that the button shouldn't be depressed. But what if you didn't know and thought it was the normal? By at least posting, you give people somethign to look out for. 1/2 the people here didn't notice the crack til they looked for it. They would have noticed it once it blew up into a big crack, but by then they would be out of their store's return/exchange policy, and would have to get a refurbished unit from HP rather than a new one.
    Just an fyi here. The refurb units most certainly do not contain an improved cover, at least in my experience. I received a refurb last Thursday & it already has cracking on both sides of the bottom right speaker.

I am not sending it back. I have 1yr & ADP, so I'll stick this one out until the dust settles on this issue, then have it replaced when I have confidence the issue has been rectified.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    I cant take it anymore. I am getting a new unit today at work and I am adding ADP per steffej3's advice. This is ridiculous. Yesterday when I posted it was a crack, now it is looking like it is trying to separate.

I hate that I cannot 100% recommend HP webOS products at this time. And I sell them at Fry's.

EDIT:

Just wondering if there may be a chance that either having the TouchPad in the foleo case may be causing pressure on the Touchpad bezel to make it crack like this? Or perhaps repeatedly taking it out of the cover and putting it in the cover may have something to do with this? Those with the cracks please provide some feedback
    Last edited by vasekvi; 08/10/2011 at 08:19 AM.
    For it to happen to so many people, it has to be a design flaw. Perhaps the rapid development pace of the TouchPad meant adequate quality and control procedures were not in place. It's a real shame and I hope a minor change to its manufacture will address it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    For it to happen to so many people, it has to be a design flaw. Perhaps the rapid development pace of the TouchPad meant adequate quality and control procedures were not in place. It's a real shame and I hope a minor change to its manufacture will address it.
    Rapid development pace? I'd think it's more likely the result of a cost cutting measure, personally. The back really shouldn't have been such thin, shiny plastic.

...and given the cracking issues on the Pre, this should have been one of the big issues to avoid. No product family should become known for the same thing over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Just an fyi here. The refurb units most certainly do not contain an improved cover, at least in my experience. I received a refurb last Thursday & it already has cracking on both sides of the bottom right speaker.

I am not sending it back. I have 1yr & ADP, so I'll stick this one out until the dust settles on this issue, then have it replaced when I have confidence the issue has been rectified.

maybe after 2 or 3 batches, they will change the design a bit. If they already have a million unit in the warehouse, you may have to wait longer.

Its unfortunate, the design really remind me of the pre, materials, shapes, problems.

I hope Opal 7" will be different, oh well. hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I cant take it anymore. I am getting a new unit today at work and I am adding ADP per steffej3's advice. This is ridiculous. Yesterday when I posted it was a crack, now it is looking like it is trying to separate.

I hate that I cannot 100% recommend HP webOS products at this time. And I sell them at Fry's.

EDIT:

Just wondering if there may be a chance that either having the TouchPad in the foleo case may be causing pressure on the Touchpad bezel to make it crack like this? Or perhaps repeatedly taking it out of the cover and putting it in the cover may have something to do with this? Those with the cracks please provide some feedback

I have the same identical crack above the left speaker that you are showing in your pic. Mine went into the HP case about 1 minute after I took the TP out of the box and it hasn't been removed since. I first noticed the small hairline cracks below the speaker on both sides and then the next day I looked down and it was completely separated above the left speaker and the right one is headed that way too.

My replacement is on its way and should be here this week.
    So I am still wondering if the case might be causing extra pressure on the sides or other areas to cause the cracks.... who has the cracks with case and who has them without?

Edit: BTW I got my new one today have not put it in the case yet. Somewhat wary. The glass on this one seems flush all the way around though. My original was higher on one side.

Edit x2: I wonder how many cracked touchpad cases are in the garbage in some factory in china as they were assembling these things and cracked them.
    So I'm browsing this forum last night and came across this thread. I thought, how could some have case issues already? I carefully checked mine near the speakers and sure enough a crack near the left speaker! (small). Damn...I've been very careful,never dropped, even bought a case from HP. I then called support and he mentioned reports from others about cracks. He did offer a replacement (refurb) but this tablets going back to Costco, 90 return policy. I'd rather have new! Carefully check yours, it's pretty small but seems to expand over time. I've had mine since July 8th. Oh well........
    So I am still wondering if the case might be causing extra pressure on the sides or other areas to cause the cracks.... who has the cracks with case and who has them without?

Edit: BTW I got my new one today have not put it in the case yet. Somewhat wary. The glass on this one seems flush all the way around though. My original was higher on one side.

Edit x2: I wonder how many cracked touchpad cases are in the garbage in some factory in china as they were assembling these things and cracked them.
    I wonder if this could be the problem as well. I have my touchpad in an ipad case where it just slides in from the top with no pressure on the sides. I have been checking for cracks, but so far my touchpad seems fine.
    nothing to substantiate it... but imo i doubt it. if anything you'd think that a properly fitted case there should be even pressure throughout.

the type of pressure your talking about, would be some type of case two sizes too small that you have to pull and stretch with quite a bit of force to fit.

tablets should be able to handle a bit of bumping and throwing around... to be able to stuff into a backpack... shouldnt be any different then treating it like your laptop. i have a nice thin leather yoobao case for my ipad2 really just to prevent scratches and throw it into a backpack or beach bag or toss it into the back seat of my car and dont think twice about it... the thing is solid.

WOW.....just returned with new TP, downloading as we speak!! Costco took back, no questions asked, plus got it for less $, and HP's early adopter 50$ apps. HP and Costco are the best!!!!
    Ultimately I decided to live with it. A drag, but cosmetic, barely visible, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Ultimately I decided to live with it. A drag, but cosmetic, barely visible, etc.
    Yeah, I thought the same but then again, what the heck. It started to seperate just a bit and with my luck it may have continued to separate. Watch yours as it may do the same!
    Guys... just stumbled over this, and since three Colleagues and I have got a TouchPad 32GB last month I checked mine and let them check theirs, too. All of us have the original HP case and never take it out. No cracks at all. I'm from Germany, so maybe it's a Problem with some of the shipments?

I own a Pre (-), too and dropped it last year from at least 1.5 meters on concrete ground. It received a dent, but no cracks at all.

Some years ago, my phone handset in the Office started to crack up at the Edges and the cracks started to grow over the weeks. Strangely enoug, my Colleagues noticed the same on their phones. Turned out that our cleaning service was using some industrial glass cleaner witch contained ammoniac in a quite high dose to clean them, which dried out the plastic and let it shrink.

Just an idea...
    Nah......never use any cleaners, just the cloth provided with the TP. HP acknowledges the cracking issue and will replace no questions asked. I've been
    very careful, even bought the case. Just wimpy plastic surrounding the speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Nah......never use any cleaners, just the cloth provided with the TP. HP acknowledges the cracking issue and will replace no questions asked. I've been
    very careful, even bought the case. Just wimpy plastic surrounding the speakers.
    I am not putting it in the case for now to see if it warps and cracks on its own. I just have it at home and I am very careful with it. Sucks that I am so careful with it that even out of the case I never put it down on a surface that would scratch the back. Always on my couch or bed, never on a counter or glass unless there is a piece of paper down first.

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Yeah, I thought the same but then again, what the heck. It started to seperate just a bit and with my luck it may have continued to separate. Watch yours as it may do the same!
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Yeah I would have lived with it but I decided to exchange it because it was getting worse and worse and eventually I am sure a piece would have broken off and that would have been unacceptable for my initial $600 I paid. Glad to have already gotten some money back through a low price guarantee, might get another $50 tomorrow since the price lowered again.
    I went with a lil super glue. Not pretty, but I have no desire to swap this out until I know they have really fixed it.