Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    5:47 AM Robert: We have came to know about the issue. We have taken steps so that new device does not face such issues.
    5:48 AM Robert: As you have got the device replaced from the place of purchase, I suggest you please try to get it replaced from our end. I am positive you will get a good working device.

Response I got while chatting with the rep.
    This was in a live tech support chat or similar? Would they send you a brand new one, I wonder, or is the suggestion that they are actively replacing the backs on refurbs (even if that refurb didn't currently show a defect)?

If HP have truly jumped on this issue and corrected production so quickly then it's really the first act I've seen from them to show they might now be on the ball with the TP.

I'd, also, be curious to know how one would tell the original release vs this "rev b" or whatever.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Live tech support chat. They said refurb, but that they have been thoroughly tested. Might just be bs to get me to be okay with the fact that I'm on my 4th fricking device.
    Ouch, I didn't realize people were going through that many devices so soon. Reminds me of the original, early Pre production issues again. :-/
    This is a ghetto solution - and for people who are out of the return window.

When my Pre- cracked at the USB door I put crazy glue on the crack to prevent it from spreading to the screen. With the exception of it looking ugly, it has worked like a charm.

I returned my first Pre- within a week because of oreoing, but have had this phone for 2+ years and is still performing as new. I have had the crazy glue on there for at least a year.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Return window is 1 year from hp, they will give you a refurb one, but its better than gluing i think =)
    I wonder if HP would consider sending me just the back and allow me to swap it out for the cracked one?
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I received my replacement (reconditioned) TPad yesterday. I purchased mine on July 1st and discovered the famous speaker-crack on Sunday.

My original TPad was a little loose between the casing and screen along the speaker-side. The replacement device doesn't have the same issue. The edge of the case is snug around all sides of the screen. The edge seems to be much more sturdy.

I'm not sure if it was defective manufacturing that caused the issue or if there was a design flaw which contributed. Time will tell how well the replacement holds up.
    The cracked plastic housings are an arising issue. HP will replace all devices that are under warranty that were not mishandled. By going to the point or purchase they will replace the device with a new device. HPs policy is to replace the defective units with refurbished units.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog22 View Post
    The cracked plastic housings are an arising issue. HP will replace all devices that are under warranty that were not mishandled. By going to the point or purchase they will replace the device with a new device. HPs policy is to replace the defective units with refurbished units.
    what are you saying?
    I noticed the small crack around the speaker and called HP had one sent out to me in two days I open it up and the center (home) button is sunken in!! I was so disappointed first the crack now the button!! I'm expecting a call from the admin team today and hopefully getting another tp shipped out soon. The only thing I learned was that if you press the side cover where the sim card will go on the newer touchpad coming out later it pops out and has your serial number on it i thought it was kinda neat!
    Quote Originally Posted by fsierra44 View Post
    I noticed the small crack around the speaker and called HP had one sent out to me in two days I open it up and the center (home) button is sunken in!! I was so disappointed first the crack now the button!! I'm expecting a call from the admin team today and hopefully getting another tp shipped out soon. The only thing I learned was that if you press the side cover where the sim card will go on the newer touchpad coming out later it pops out and has your serial number on it i thought it was kinda neat!
    Sorry for your hardware troubles. You're not alone. I did not know that about the SIM cover, thanks!
    my original one had bleed through on a white background on a couple pixels and the depressed home button.

I exchanged it

and

*gasp*

didnt feel the need to start a thread about it
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    There's a sim card slot??? Oya, forgot and can't see it anyway in that nice HP case I have
    <<threads merged>>
    so I noticed a hairline crack at each speaker a few weeks ago after reading this thread. They were minor. Now they have expanded towards screen and are more visible. This may have already been discussed so sorry in advance for not reading the hundreds of posts, but.... My question is this: if I exchange this for a new one at the hhgregg I bought it at, what are the odds I will get a new one that has a different design/fix applied?
    i think the honest answer is no one knows.
    you can get lucky and it wont happen again.
    or it can.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    so I noticed a hairline crack at each speaker a few weeks ago after reading this thread. They were minor. Now they have expanded towards screen and are more visible. This may have already been discussed so sorry in advance for not reading the hundreds of posts, but.... My question is this: if I exchange this for a new one at the hhgregg I bought it at, what are the odds I will get a new one that has a different design/fix applied?
    I'm with don on this one.... So far we have no cracks, and we play pool and other games handing it back and forth, with the HP case we grabit by the speaker side mostly whenhanding it back and forth.... This thread has me checking multiple time a dat for cracks. I have that kinda ocd
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    here are the screen caps from my chat today via HP help onboard.... I'll play spoiler... HP says they are still investigating crack,cause, etc. And have no fix. Not all devices appear to be affected so touchpad roulette is in play and yours to play. I choose not to play.,,.

...edit.... I was unable to upload screen shots of chat session directly from my tp. So to summarize I strongly requested the serial number marking point that would identify the newer fixed units. He went away a few times and tried to get this info in the end he said this:

"our engineering team is still working on these defective devices and they are investigating what is causing the device to crack. We are still under the process, and will fix it as soon as possible."

so apparently there was a production run that was effected and I guess another run that were not as best I can tell. So the game of roullette continues...
    Last edited by UncleKeg; 08/07/2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Also had mine since July 1st, and it too has the crack by the top speaker. I wasn't going to replace it, but I might have to if it gets another crack. It's already cracked entirely though so it's basically just hanging there now. Luckily it doesn't have a sharp edge, so not a real danger or anything, and it doesn't go into the screen which is nice. So far the rest of the hardware has been fine. I'm really hesitant about sending in for a replacement to get a refurb that doesn't work as well for whatever reason. Just send me the back replacement, I'll take the time and take it apart and put it back together, thanks!

Too bad that isn't an option..