Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hparsons
  1.    #1  
    How do I sync between my Pre and my TP?

Specifically, my Pre's contact list.

I'm looking for a direct sync (NOT a Google solution).

Either directly from device to device (WiFi or Bluetooth) or through my award-winning Palm Profile.

THANKS in advance!
    Once you start up your touchpad and enter your palm profile, the touchpad works its magic. Does it automatically.
    I don't think you're going to find something that does that. At best, you're going to a copy of the existing Palm profile (the contact database) on your Pre pushed to the TouchPad, but updates to either device will not affect the other.

The reality is, "Synergy" on these devices was meant to pull data from the cloud, and consolidate that information on the device. Now that some users have a need, maybe some third party sync tool will be made available, but I don't know that I'd count on it. That's a pretty tall order to make the two devices merge each other's data.
    bevcraw likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think you're going to find something that does that. At best, you're going to a copy of the existing Palm profile (the contact database) on your Pre pushed to the TouchPad, but updates to either device will not affect the other.

The reality is, "Synergy" on these devices was meant to pull data from the cloud, and consolidate that information on the device. Now that some users have a need, maybe some third party sync tool will be made available, but I don't know that I'd count on it. That's a pretty tall order to make the two devices merge each other's data.
    hparsons - we've know each other for some time now (kidding) so you know, I'm probably smart enough to figure this out if it worked at all.

I'm just bored pointing out the obvious missing items / apps / integration so I try different ways to shine the light of 'need' on the darkness of marketing bs.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    hparsons - we've know each other for some time now (kidding) so you know, I'm probably smart enough to figure this out if it worked at all.

I'm just bored pointing out the obvious missing items / apps / integration so I try different ways to shine the light of 'need' on the darkness of marketing bs.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!
    Believe it or not, I really seldom pay much attention to who is posting what, I just respond (about the only time I notice is if I look to see if there's a consistent negative).

Another thing you may not believe, but I agree that the HP WebOS Profile (or whatever they're calling it now) is way underutilized. I also think it's one of the most valuable diamonds in the rough for HP. I had some pretty regular back and forth discussions with some of the folks at Palm about it. They assured me then that changes were coming. Some have, but I wish there were more, and they were coming faster.

Imagine how cool it would be if I could log into my profile, and select which apps I wanted on which device? Or when HP gets their music/video solution online, which of those files I wanted on which device.

I could select databases to merge, or select one device to be the "parent", and the information on it to overwrite the other device(s).

As HP adds WebOS to other more utilitarian devices, I could log into my profile, and program to change the temperature on my WebOS enabled themostat. Turn my WebOS enabled television on and off at certain times when I'm not at home to make it appear I am (and to irritate our Boston Terrier and Cockatoo).

Most of these are things I suggested in the past to Palm. Now that there's some money backing things up, maybe we'll see the potential realized.

And yeah, synchronization between devices would be a good one. I don't think Palm (making phones at the time) really thought much about that one.
    the point of synergy is to sync each device with cloud services, not other devices. Not saying I like that (I still sync with outlook) but that's the architecture.
    Synergy actually has no correlation with syncing.

Synergy is bringing data from multiple sources together in one universal view on the device.

Email this is evident by the all inboxes view
    Contacts this is evident by multiple contact records linked together in one source
    Calendar this is seen when you see all your calendar events from your multiple sources.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    yep, that is better phrased.
  9.    #9  
    Believe it or not, I really seldom pay much attention to who is posting what, I just respond (about the only time I notice is if I look to see if there's a consistent negative).

Another thing you may not believe, but I agree that the HP WebOS Profile (or whatever they're calling it now) is way underutilized. I also think it's one of the most valuable diamonds in the rough for HP. I had some pretty regular back and forth discussions with some of the folks at Palm about it. They assured me then that changes were coming. Some have, but I wish there were more, and they were coming faster.

Imagine how cool it would be if I could log into my profile, and select which apps I wanted on which device? Or when HP gets their music/video solution online, which of those files I wanted on which device.

I could select databases to merge, or select one device to be the "parent", and the information on it to overwrite the other device(s).

As HP adds WebOS to other more utilitarian devices, I could log into my profile, and program to change the temperature on my WebOS enabled themostat. Turn my WebOS enabled television on and off at certain times when I'm not at home to make it appear I am (and to irritate our Boston Terrier and Cockatoo).

Most of these are things I suggested in the past to Palm. Now that there's some money backing things up, maybe we'll see the potential realized.

And yeah, synchronization between devices would be a good one. I don't think Palm (making phones at the time) really thought much about that one.
    We must be brothers from a differant mother - I was having the same conversations with Palm about Profile almost 18 months ago! They sure seemed excited about the idea then.

It blows my mind there's no way to move my 2500 contacts to the TP! (yep, you guessed it, I actually took HP at their word that the TP was a business device - what a fool I am (again, and again and again!))

The lack of Profile being of any discernible use OTHER then downloading my apps AFTER I've replaced my Pre for the 14th time is extraordinary.

It doesn't even back up my messaging! Whatever. Old wound, old dead subject. On to more crappola we think we need but will most likly never see.

God love the homebrewers - they, and only they kept most of us with this beleaguered platform.

It'll be very interesting to see if they will pull the same rabbit out of their collective hats and save the HP TouchPad - here's hopping...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the point of synergy is to sync each device with cloud services, not other devices. Not saying I like that (I still sync with outlook) but that's the architecture.
    Exactly - I'm an Outlook Brother also!

No love for MS...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Synergy actually has no correlation with syncing.

Synergy is bringing data from multiple sources together in one universal view on the device.

Email this is evident by the all inboxes view
    Contacts this is evident by multiple contact records linked together in one source
    Calendar this is seen when you see all your calendar events from your multiple sources.
    Hay, I forgot to thank you for helping getting my DOA TP to spark up - THANKS!

Umm, I would like to bring my data from my Pre (made by Palm) 'together in one universal view on the device [TP - made by HP - which bought Palm - I presume - unless you're talking about some other device I should have bought instead]'.

Clear as mud.
    We must be brothers from a differant mother - I was having the same conversations with Palm about Profile almost 18 months ago! They sure seemed excited about the idea then.

It blows my mind there's no way to move my 2500 contacts to the TP! (yep, you guessed it, I actually took HP at their word that the TP was a business device - what a fool I am (again, and again and again!))

The lack of Profile being of any discernible use OTHER then downloading my apps AFTER I've replaced my Pre for the 14th time is extraordinary.

It doesn't even back up my messaging! Whatever. Old wound, old dead subject. On to more crappola we think we need but will most likly never see.

God love the homebrewers - they, and only they kept most of us with this beleaguered platform.

It'll be very interesting to see if they will pull the same rabbit out of their collective hats and save the HP TouchPad - here's hopping...
    If you setup the TouchPad using your current legacy webOS device HP/Palm Profile user ID and password, there should be a one time pseudo sync (basically an applied copy) between your webOS phone and your TouchPad. This assumes your contacts are setup under your HP/Palm profile in the first place. Multiple users with both legacy webOS phones and TouchPads have CONFIRMED this works.

The HP/Palm Profile databases are not compatible between webOS 3.x and webOS 1.x so the Pre and TouchPad cannot technically be "merged" under a single account, and that's why this is a one time deal. I haven't heard about Pre 2 merges with the TouchPad, but I kinda expect it will "merge" as I believe webOS 2.x and webOS 3.x use the same database format (which now backs up text messages to the best of my understanding).

Anyway, if you tried to activate your TouchPad with your existing HP/Palm account, and your contact information was stored in your HP/Palm profile (not Google or another 3rd party), then you contacts should have been pulled across to the TouchPad from what I've read. If it didn't work, it sounds like you might need to doctor the TouchPad and re-try or contact HP's tech support.
    ...It doesn't even back up my messaging! Whatever.
    My messages were backed from my Pre and restored on the TouchPad
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    If you setup the TouchPad using your current legacy webOS device HP/Palm Profile user ID and password, there should be a one time pseudo sync (basically an applied copy) between your webOS phone and your TouchPad. This assumes your contacts are setup under your HP/Palm profile in the first place. Multiple users with both legacy webOS phones and TouchPads have CONFIRMED this works.

The HP/Palm Profile databases are not compatible between webOS 3.x and webOS 1.x so the Pre and TouchPad cannot technically be "merged" under a single account, and that's why this is a one time deal. I haven't heard about Pre 2 merges with the TouchPad, but I kinda expect it will "merge" as I believe webOS 2.x and webOS 3.x use the same database format (which now backs up text messages to the best of my understanding).

Anyway, if you tried to activate your TouchPad with your existing HP/Palm account, and your contact information was stored in your HP/Palm profile (not Google or another 3rd party), then you contacts should have been pulled across to the TouchPad from what I've read. If it didn't work, it sounds like you might need to doctor the TouchPad and re-try or contact HP's tech support.
    Man, thanks for the explanation! I have Outlook that I sync with PocketMirror (because Palm in it's infinite wisdom decided for the first time in it's phone history NOT to provide a sync path with their new flag-ship product Pre), and I back up automatically via Palm Backup.

Nuttin....
  15.    #15  
    My messages were backed from my Pre and restored on the TouchPad
    Please, god, tell me what I'm doing wrong - I'll be the first to admit I'm a fool but seriously, how is it that this could NOT work?!?

How do I make it happen????
    is your phone running 1.4.5? It doesn't back up messaging until 2.x
    Please, god, tell me what I'm doing wrong - I'll be the first to admit I'm a fool but seriously, how is it that this could NOT work?!?

How do I make it happen????
    My bad - Tim nailed it. I'm running 2.1
  18.    #18  
    Thank you Sir, may I have another! (1.4.5 and feeling the pain).