Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
Like Tree83Likes
  1.    #1  
    I read the early reviews about the Touchpad and almost did not get one. I took a trip to BestBuy and played with one for a few minutes and I've been hooked ever since. I thought that once reviewers did some long term testing on the Touchpad they would see how much of joy it is to use. I was so terribly wrong. Tech site reviewers are like parrots. They don't really understand a language, they just mimic it. So everyone has been mimicking the initial reviews. We saw this with the stupid "the Palm Pre's edges are sharp and could cut someone" fiasco. How many Pre and Pre Plus owners actually got cut?

    I also know that tech site reviews are also spineless. They cave to popular pressure. How else do you give the tie in a Prizefight about a phone to the one that you admit can even make phone calls (Cnet!) or change your review about a device that you initially canned (iPhone and Cnet once again)? You get beat up by relentless owners and the overall success of the device.

    Apple users may be pretentious, but they are good cheerleaders for their favorite iDevices even if there are better devices out there. Some of them have even infiltrated this forum to spread what is obviously misinformation. They are relentless when tech sites give sub-par reviews about their iDevices. Those sites definitely don't want to **** them off, even if it is at the expense of the truth or a superior device.

    We need to do the same. I'm not saying that we need to stand in line to buy a shiny piece of hardware we don't need. I'm saying that we need to take at least 5 minutes after reading one of these pieces of garbage to comment to the author and put pressure on him/her to tell the truth. We need to point out the flaws with his/her reporting. We also need to post our reviews of the product on some of the tech sites, like Cnet, or on the store's website that we purchased the device at.

    Why should we take the time to do this? Isn't this HP's job? Yes and no. You don't see Steve Jobs responding to anything negative about the iPhone or iPad because he has legions of actual product owners who do that for him.

    I've had enough of the negative reviews about the Touchpad. I have not seen 95% of the problems that these Tech reviews say is wrong with the device. HP did a better job than Palm did with the quality of this device and it shows. The only fixes that need to be made are to the software. I've been fighting back. I don't see the productivity in coming to forums on PreCentral or WebOSRoundup to take out my frustrations about negative reviews when I can take it straight to the reviewer. Please join me! Post your comments on these sites. Believe me, it's liberating!
  2. #2  
    Done
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  3. jurias's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #3  
    totally agree with you, have not gotten one myself because currently going through personal expensive problems...but as soon as I get a little break I'll be at the check register...now what I'm wondering is should I get the 4g model 1.5 processor or get the wifi...not sure I have a need for a 4g tablet(expense).
  4. #4  
    My avatar at Macrumors.com is the HP logo.
    ag95keri likes this.
  5. #5  
    As a former tech reviewer, I can say with certainty that tech websites do NOT like giving bad reviews.

    I love how so many webOS users in the forums are so sure about other options out there. Even though few users in these forums have used a current generation iOS or Android device for a lengthy period of time, there are tons of posts about how great the TouchPad is. Relative to what?

    Yes, the TouchPad has Flash, but the iPad 2 doesn't need flash because it has custom built applications to enhance user experience beyond what you will get visiting the native website on a TouchPad.

    Yes, the TouchPad multitasks better than the iPad 2, and in a more friendly manner than the Galaxy 10.1. I guess the multitasking will probably be worth more when the TouchPad has more than 300 apps vs the 60,000 that work with Android tablets or the 100,000 that work with the iPad 2. You know, pretty critical apps like document editing apps, Netflix apps, and camera apps, etc.

    Specifications/hardware wise, the TouchPad is lacking video out, and good cameras. The TouchPad is also thicker and MUCH heavier than the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.

    While the UI was widely praised (just like always with webOS), the TouchPad's OS is a little buggy compared to the current competition. It wasn't really ready at launch, but HP pushed it out there anyway, and the reviewers frequently gave HP the benefit of the doubt despite a lengthy history of not delivering on promises.

    If you're expecting glowing reviews about a device that has a great UI, but a buggy OS, subpar hardware, and few applications, you're being unrealistic. The fact the TouchPad wasn't receiving LOWER marks was influenced by the promise of a OS update that would fix a lot of bugs and the general lack of desire to give a product a poor review.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I love how so many webOS users in the forums are so sure about other options out there. Even though few users in these forums have used a current generation iOS or Android device for a lengthy period of time, there are tons of posts about how great the TouchPad is. Relative to what?
    Building iOS stuff at work has become a decent part of my role now. I own every generation of iDevice apple has made to date. I prefer WebOS to them, hands down. I build stuff for WebOS for fun, and I hate iOS for multiple reasons. When I want to use a tablet I grab my TouchPad now, and when my phone rings it's my Palm Pre 2.

    Looks like you're just another generalizing 'reviewer' following the pack of your peers, precisely as the OP said.

    WebOS is one week old, iOS 3+ is two years old. It's more mature, WebOS has more potential. Just like at work, I tend to focus on the interns and leave the old-dogs to to do their thing.

    iOS 5 finally picked up most of the functionality that made WebOS great two years ago, and it still probably will not be my daily smartphone OS.
  7. #7  
    I like webOS better than iOS or Android, but at least I can be reasonable and realistic. Btw, I gave downright poor reviews on products if they deserved it. I also realized that our relationship with that company would probably be damaged as a result. My partner and I bought a lot of the hardware we reviewed out of our own pockets only to resell it at a loss on ebay.

    Who cares how old the operating systems are? Which device currently works smoother, faster, has better battery life, is more pleasing to hold and interact with, and has more functionality right now? The iPad 2 or the TouchPad? It's the iPad 2 according to most people that have used both devices for a length of time. Even Precentral's review held back on calling the TouchPad an iPad 2 killer.

    It's not a question about the future potential of the device. Who knows if the potential will ever be fulfilled? The potential of the device is part of the review, not the conclusion. It's like trying to sell a non-running Mustang Cobra for more than a good working Mustang GT based on potential. Nobody went out and shot your dog. They just said the TouchPad was a good effort, but it fell short in a couple areas. The emotional meltdown in the forums are absolutely childish.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The TouchPad is also thicker and MUCH heavier than the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    I'd guess that a lot of that is related to the audio components that are in the TouchPad compared to other tablets.
    ariker01 likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I'd guess that a lot of that is related to the audio components that are in the TouchPad compared to other tablets.
    I'd imagine it's more related to that giant charging coil for the Touchstone. As cool as it is, inductive charging is still pretty inefficient.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    As a former tech reviewer, I can say with certainty that tech websites do NOT like giving bad reviews.

    I love how so many webOS users in the forums are so sure about other options out there. Even though few users in these forums have used a current generation iOS or Android device for a lengthy period of time, there are tons of posts about how great the TouchPad is. Relative to what?

    Yes, the TouchPad has Flash, but the iPad 2 doesn't need flash because it has custom built applications to enhance user experience beyond what you will get visiting the native website on a TouchPad.

    Yes, the TouchPad multitasks better than the iPad 2, and in a more friendly manner than the Galaxy 10.1. I guess the multitasking will probably be worth more when the TouchPad has more than 300 apps vs the 60,000 that work with Android tablets or the 100,000 that work with the iPad 2. You know, pretty critical apps like document editing apps, Netflix apps, and camera apps, etc.

    Specifications/hardware wise, the TouchPad is lacking video out, and good cameras. The TouchPad is also thicker and MUCH heavier than the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.

    While the UI was widely praised (just like always with webOS), the TouchPad's OS is a little buggy compared to the current competition. It wasn't really ready at launch, but HP pushed it out there anyway, and the reviewers frequently gave HP the benefit of the doubt despite a lengthy history of not delivering on promises.

    If you're expecting glowing reviews about a device that has a great UI, but a buggy OS, subpar hardware, and few applications, you're being unrealistic. The fact the TouchPad wasn't receiving LOWER marks was influenced by the promise of a OS update that would fix a lot of bugs and the general lack of desire to give a product a poor review.
    I believe most reviews have been fair. the criticism and the flaws of the TouchPad are 100 percent true and have merit. The weight, size and lack of a large selection of applications at launch (including glitches and bugs) are true and factual. That being said, there seems to be a lack of balance in these tech reviews. While the TouchPad has disadvantages over their competitors, it also has features not highly mentioned or shuffled to the back of reviews. This gives the reader a very bad taste in their mouth, which I can only assume why people are so frustrated.

    Advantages :
    TTS
    True Multitasking (live apps)
    Synergy
    HP Profile Cloud Storage (free of charge)
    Built in Skype integration (video and voice)
    Inductive Charging
    SMS and Call forwarding via Bluetooth (HP devices 2x only)
    Butler support
    webOS Internals (Homebrew) supported openly by HP
    webOS Doctor for safe and easy restore
    *Great community support*

    While every review I have read lists the disadvantages, which they should, I don't often see the advantages mentioned. And the best part of what makes webOS so unique? all the advantages are free of charge, no apps required, all built-in

    I am not looking for shinning 10/10 reviews. I don't mind if the facts stated are not to a webOS users liking. I am just making a point of reviews listing the good with the bad. most I have read DON'T!
    k4ever, RafRol, gzinkl and 3 others like this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Who cares how old the operating systems are? Which device currently works smoother, faster, has better battery life, is more pleasing to hold and interact with, and has more functionality right now? The iPad 2 or the TouchPad? It's the iPad 2 according to most people that have used both devices for a length of time. Even Precentral's review held back on calling the TouchPad an iPad 2 killer.
    Partially agree, you have to base judgements on what is on the table and not on what might be coming in the future. On that basis RIM and Windows Mango should be totally dismissed as should honeycomb on handhelds. For that matter iOS 5 should be discounted too. But we don't, because we put weight in the value of companies strategies, past experiences, or just a 'gut feel' for them.

    That said, there is also the matter of how much weight is given to a particular feature in comparison to another. For some a few fractions of an inch or an ounce in exchange for a the Touchstone capability is an no brainer. but some of those 'brains' will settle on the Touchstone while others will settle on the size.

    The review which I have no beef with are the ones that present the features good and bad and let me decide what I value most. I do have a problem with reviews which will present a review with and obvious lack of understanding of the product. Things like getting basic facts of operation wrong, getting specs wrong, or making unbalanced comparisons like comparing the stock features of one item with the third part add on features of another.

    Some of that was apparent in a good number of the early TP reviews. A reviewer should feel a sense of obligation to present as accuarate and unbiased review as possible. And honestly, if you have a staffer on board who has a 'beat' (Google, Apple, and Microsoft most particularly), you are going to develop a bias for that platform or you risk getting cut off from sources in the future. It why the big places like Ziff-Davis pretty much stopped posting (at least the last time I regularly read their stuff), stopped giving anything but mild rebukes to anything but the smallest of companies.

    PS: Nothing is going to 'kill' the iPad but Apple. Either by someone out-innovating them via a better user experience or a better value or a combination of both - while they let that happen.

    PS to the PS- to your other question statement I carry 2 phones (4 actually) and one of them is an Android phone. It's less than a year old.
    Last edited by C-Note; 07/13/2011 at 08:39 PM.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    k4ever and Sapient2k7 like this.
  12. #12  
    If a friend of mine tells me that a product is good/great I am more than likely going to disregard the professional review. Mainly because I know the person well and value their opinion a lot more than someone sitting behind a keyboard somewhere. Pro reviews are important but real people referals carrry more weight in my book.
    k4ever, ChemEngr, hparsons and 1 others like this.
  13. #13  
    I dont feel the urge to fight back against reviewers because it was hp's job to deliver a knockout, and the failed to do that. That said I do feel like most reviews were harsh. Some issues were over-stated, such as size/weight. Because I became used to the touchpad before getting serious hands on time with an ipad2, I dont like the way it fits in my hand. I need a tighter grip to hold on to it because its thinner and more slipper. Obviously this isnt a matter of better/worse, just preference. Many reviewers slammed TP for not having a rear camera, but all fail to give a compelling reason for having one, so why is it a minus? Flash issues were also overstated, unless reviewers were using earlier builds. I have yet to run into inconsistency or performance issues with flash.

    is there lag? Yes occasionally, i'll give them that. And the app cat is skimpy. Other than that, its a really great device and certainly belongs up there with the galaxy tab and the ipad.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    As a former tech reviewer, I can say with certainty that tech websites do NOT like giving bad reviews.

    I love how so many webOS users in the forums are so sure about other options out there. Even though few users in these forums have used a current generation iOS or Android device for a lengthy period of time, there are tons of posts about how great the TouchPad is. Relative to what?

    Ok, I'll bite and yes I have current generation iOS and Android devices (I have a wife and kids that like them)...

    Yes, the TouchPad has Flash, but the iPad 2 doesn't need flash because it has custom built applications to enhance user experience beyond what you will get visiting the native website on a TouchPad.

    Were is my custom built iApp for the Miami Metro Zoo website or Hyundai's Flash website? There are literally thousands of websites that use Flash. So I have to wait for the website owner to make an app specifically for iOS just so I can view their site or wait for it to be re-written to HTML5? Why build a custom app just to view a webpage? That's ridiculous and it is a deficiency with mobile Safari. Enhancement is just a buzz word. Only music sites need "enhancement". That is they need an ability for you to navigate tracks with the device's controls.

    Yes, the TouchPad multitasks better than the iPad 2, and in a more friendly manner than the Galaxy 10.1. I guess the multitasking will probably be worth more when the TouchPad has more than 300 apps vs the 60,000 that work with Android tablets or the 100,000 that work with the iPad 2. You know, pretty critical apps like document editing apps, Netflix apps, and camera apps, etc.

    Ok, document editing is critical and it's suppose to come in 10 days but since when is Netflix or a camera app critical? You can get Netflix through Playon and the camera on tablets are used for video chats, which the Touchpad does well through Skype. Something like Photo Booth would be great to have (HP!!) but it is hardly critical. Android doesn't have 60,000 tablet apps. I own an Android tablet and most of the apps in the Android Market are optimized for phones or devices running 2.x, not 3.x which is Android's tablet OS. If you are going to include non-tablet apps then webOS has over 6000. You don't really want to get into a battle about Android apps with me. I spent over a month trying to get a refund on a game I bought in the Android Market that wouldn't run on my tablet. It wasn't the only app that wouldn't but I paid for it. There are a lot of apps in the Market that won't work on all Android devices. Android's fragmentation is a mess! Google is working on it but not fast enough. You also admitted that a lot of people have been saying, the vast majority of iApps are just replacements for websites or fart apps. I own two iPod Touchs, one for me and one for my son. Between the two of us we have only bought or downloaded 20 apps from the App Store. I spend more money in the webOS app store than I do in the iOS one even though there is only 6000 apps to choose from.

    Specifications/hardware wise, the TouchPad is lacking video out, and good cameras. The TouchPad is also thicker and MUCH heavier than the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1.

    Yes the Touchpad is lacking video out. Absolutely no argument there, but then so is the iPad1 and you guys didn't seem to mind. Just about every Android tablet had video out, yet the iPad still beat the snot out of them. Oh, that's right the upcoming iPad2 will have video out so it is automatically in play now. What camera are you talking about? The front facing camera on the iPad is worse than the one on the Touchpad. The iPad's front camera is VGA. That translates to .3 megapixels. The Touchpad's front camera is 1.2 megapixels. How is a VGA camera better than a 1.2 megapixel one? Oh, the iPad 2 will have a 720p front camera. Can't wait to see what video chat will look like on that. What a minute, there is no Facetime for my Windows laptop. Darn! How many people actually uses the rear camera on a 10inch tablet? Who actually cares that it is .3 inches thicker? Isn't that so the Touchstone and Touch to Share would work? Also, didn't HP make it thicker so that corporate in house tech support shops could fix it? I know that it didn't even figure into my reason for buying a tablet until a reviewer mentioned it. But then again I wonder what Apple gave up to make it that thin? There is always a catch with them. The MacBook Air is super thin because they removed the optical drive even though people still use them (too soon Apple, give us another 5 years) and the iPhone 4 is super thin because they put the antenna on the side, requiring a special case/bumper to get reception.

    It's dishonest to play the specifications game when you only list the good specs on your device and ignore the good specs on other devices. Kinda like a car manufacturer touting how his/her car has 6 airbags even though it has a crappy safety rating and his competitor has only 4 airbags but a better rating. Let me play your game. The Touchpad has 1.2GHz dual core processors with 1GB of RAM. The iPad only has 1GHz dual core processors. The Touchpad can run up to 39 apps at one time. The iPad can only run one at a time. The Touchpad has better real world battery life than the iPad. The Touchpad can browse the real internet, the iPad can't. See and I didn't even list the good things the iPad can do on purpose. What matters is what the end user needs it for.


    While the UI was widely praised (just like always with webOS), the TouchPad's OS is a little buggy compared to the current competition. It wasn't really ready at launch, but HP pushed it out there anyway, and the reviewers frequently gave HP the benefit of the doubt despite a lengthy history of not delivering on promises.

    Yes, you are absolutely correct. However let the first maker of an OS that is not buggy throw the first stone. Android is buggy, iOS is buggy, MacOS-X is buggy, Windows 7 is buggy, Linux is buggy. I use them all. Isn't that what software updates are for? I know you aren't still using iOS version 1 on your iDevice. Are we talking HP or Palm here when we are talking about promises? People keep getting them mixed up. Palm made promises that they did not keep and they paid for it by running out of money and being bought by HP. Look, I'm 40 years old. I've own over a dozen cars, two houses, and a boatload of tech stuff. Everything has bugs. Everything has quality issues. No matter what the price or the company who makes it. What matters is the support you get after the sale. Hell, I've had 4 iPods go bad. Apple does a good job of fixing or replacing them. HP is the number one computer maker in the world. They didn't get that way by offering crappy support. I can tell you that I have gotten rock solid support from HP since I bought my Touchpad. Their Butler service is great and it's right there on the device. But its still early. I'm waiting for them to put out their first over the air update before I start badmouthing them.

    If you're expecting glowing reviews about a device that has a great UI, but a buggy OS, subpar hardware, and few applications, you're being unrealistic. The fact the TouchPad wasn't receiving LOWER marks was influenced by the promise of a OS update that would fix a lot of bugs and the general lack of desire to give a product a poor review.
    I'm expecting the same benefit of the doubt that reviewers gave Apple, Google, and Microsoft when they released their shiny new products. Every time Microsoft makes a bad 1st production product reviewers say that "you can't expect a version 1.x to not have flaws and that Microsoft's track record on providing services will negate any issues". That has happened with every version of Windows and every version of the X-Box. What about when Android was first introduced? The OS was extremely buggy, but again reviewers said that "with Google's billions of dollars in the bank they will be able to fix any issues that arise". When Google and Microsoft were behind on apps reviewers said that "Microsoft/Google's relationship with developers should give them the ability to catch up soon". Let's not forget Apple's antennagate with the iPhone 4 that had reviewers issue mea culpa's because they did not catch it on their first reviews, which, btw, read almost word for word like Apple's press release? Or glossing over the fact that many early iPhone users had dropped calls. Or that the iPhone lacked multi-tasking when the #1 smartphone at the time had it. Or that you need a special program just to put files on your iPad that no other tablet needs. Or that you need to jailbreak it to get some more functionality out of it yet jail-breaking could void your warranty. The Touchpad has flaws but that's all you see in the reviews. I don't see any mention of HP's support backbone either like I would for Apple/Microsoft/Google. It's like reviewers are trying to purposely steer buyers towards the iPad.

    Look the point of the matter is that yes, the Touchpad has flaws but it is not nearly as bad as the reviewers make it and there is rock solid support. I own one and I don't regret the money of spent on it one bit. It is a joy to use. It is one of the best mobile devices I've ever had and I have used a lot of mobile devices. The reviewers got a lot of stuff wrong.


    Edited: Ugh, I messed that up! Tried to do it inline. Didn't work!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I dont feel the urge to fight back against reviewers because it was hp's job to deliver a knockout, and the failed to do that. That said I do feel like most reviews were harsh. Some issues were over-stated, such as size/weight. Because I became used to the touchpad before getting serious hands on time with an ipad2, I dont like the way it fits in my hand. I need a tighter grip to hold on to it because its thinner and more slipper. Obviously this isnt a matter of better/worse, just preference. Many reviewers slammed TP for not having a rear camera, but all fail to give a compelling reason for having one, so why is it a minus? Flash issues were also overstated, unless reviewers were using earlier builds. I have yet to run into inconsistency or performance issues with flash.

    is there lag? Yes occasionally, i'll give them that. And the app cat is skimpy. Other than that, its a really great device and certainly belongs up there with the galaxy tab and the ipad.
    MHunterjr,

    It's everything after your first sentence that potential users need to hear. I agree that it is up to HP to deliver the knockout blow and they screwed up somewhere, but it was not with the retail model. My Touchpad does not have many of the problems they listed. Besides what you and I say about the product matters more to a potential buyer than what HP has to say.
    Last edited by k4ever; 07/13/2011 at 09:55 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    If a friend of mine tells me that a product is good/great I am more than likely going to disregard the professional review. Mainly because I know the person well and value their opinion a lot more than someone sitting behind a keyboard somewhere. Pro reviews are important but real people referals carrry more weight in my book.
    Thank you. You said it better than I could.
  17. Antwan3k's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm expecting the same benefit of the doubt that reviewers gave Apple, Google, and Microsoft when they released their shiny new products. Every time Microsoft makes a bad 1st production product reviewers say that "you can't expect a version 1.x to not have flaws and that Microsoft's track record on providing services will negate any issues". That has happened with every version of Windows and every version of the X-Box. What about when Android was first introduced? The OS was extremely buggy, but again reviewers said that "with Google's billions of dollars in the bank they will be able to fix any issues that arise". When Google and Microsoft were behind on apps reviewers said that "Microsoft/Google's relationship with developers should give them the ability to catch up soon". Let's not forget Apple's antennagate with the iPhone 4 that had reviewers issue mea culpa's because they did not catch it on their first reviews, which, btw, read almost word for word like Apple's press release? Or glossing over the fact that many early iPhone users had dropped calls. Or that the iPhone lacked multi-tasking when the #1 smartphone at the time had it. Or that you need a special program just to put files on your iPad that no other tablet needs. Or that you need to jailbreak it to get some more functionality out of it yet jail-breaking could void your warranty. The Touchpad has flaws but that's all you see in the reviews. I don't see any mention of HP's support backbone either like I would for Apple/Microsoft/Google. It's like reviewers are trying to purposely steer buyers towards the iPad.

    Look the point of the matter is that yes, the Touchpad has flaws but it is not nearly as bad as the reviewers make it and there is rock solid support. I own one and I don't regret the money of spent on it one bit. It is a joy to use. It is one of the best mobile devices I've ever had and I have used a lot of mobile devices. The reviewers got a lot of stuff wrong.


    Edited: Ugh, I messed that up! Tried to do it inline. Didn't work!
    outstanding post.. I could not have said it better myself.. I agree, most webOS faithful openly admit that the hardware design may lag behind the new "standards" set by the iPad 2 and the galaxy tab 10.1.. We admit that the software needs some optimization.. These are facts and should be indeed be mentioned in reviews.. But I sooooo tired of reviewers harping on rear-facing cameras and a fraction's worth of extra thickness/weight like they're absolutely the most important factors to every single consumer on the face of the planet while barely mentioning the numerous advantages that the Touchpad carries over the competition.. Advantages that clearly would play into the decision to buy a TABLET more-so than a rear facing camera and video out (we're not recording family movies on tablets people).. The things that actually matter to a lot of people like true multitasking, synergy, flash, and etc are all barely mentioned in one sentence in the closing remarks of these reviews.. I guess having the best multitasking, having all your accounts seamlessly sync'd at the OS level, being able to access the full web, and etc dont matter in a tablet as long as you can take crappy photos.. .. *sigh*
  18. #18  
    Just lost a huge post on the timeout, but it's pointless. The rabid ******-ism and lack of reality in this forum make it impossible to provide accurate information to potential buyers.

    The TouchPad is a disappointment so get used to it.
    Merovingian and Hobbz like this.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Partially agree, you have to base judgements on what is on the table and not on what might be coming in the future. On that basis RIM and Windows Mango should be totally dismissed as should honeycomb on handhelds. For that matter iOS 5 should be discounted too. But we don't, because we put weight in the value of companies strategies, past experiences, or just a 'gut feel' for them.

    That said, there is also the matter of how much weight is given to a particular feature in comparison to another. For some a few fractions of an inch or an ounce in exchange for a the Touchstone capability is an no brainer. but some of those 'brains' will settle on the Touchstone while others will settle on the size.

    The review which I have no beef with are the ones that present the features good and bad and let me decide what I value most. I do have a problem with reviews which will present a review with and obvious lack of understanding of the product. Things like getting basic facts of operation wrong, getting specs wrong, or making unbalanced comparisons like comparing the stock features of one item with the third part add on features of another.

    Some of that was apparent in a good number of the early TP reviews. A reviewer should feel a sense of obligation to present as accuarate and unbiased review as possible. And honestly, if you have a staffer on board who has a 'beat' (Google, Apple, and Microsoft most particularly), you are going to develop a bias for that platform or you risk getting cut off from sources in the future. It why the big places like Ziff-Davis pretty much stopped posting (at least the last time I regularly read their stuff), stopped giving anything but mild rebukes to anything but the smallest of companies.

    PS: Nothing is going to 'kill' the iPad but Apple. Either by someone out-innovating them via a better user experience or a better value or a combination of both - while they let that happen.

    PS to the PS- to your other question statement I carry 2 phones (4 actually) and one of them is an Android phone. It's less than a year old.
    You've written a well-thought out post but you're disregarding the reality of the situation in it. RIM has been discounted currently by the tech industry and even wireless carriers, regardless of the promise that QNX for handsets has. Although you're correct that it hasn't been released, WP7 Mango has been the subject of numerous hands-on previews in the past month by all major tech websites as well as being officially displayed by Microsoft this past week. Honeycomb is available on tablets now for usage; however, it's apparent from the post that you meant Ice Cream Sandwich, the next version which unifies Honeycomb and Gingerbread into a single OS. Lastly, iOS5 is already on the third publicly available beta release and can be downloaded right now.

    What do all of these (with the exception of RIM) have that differentiates them from webOS at this moment? All of them have been useable and previewed. The promised update for webOS has yet to even see the changes detailed by HP, merely that there will be optimization. It doesn't mean that the update should be discounted but it certainly shouldn't be look at as salvation. webOS is a solid operating system that was released prematurely and must play catch up in this market.

    Unfortunately, with all of this said, I have to agree with you EvilKell. All of these posts and reviews accurately detailing the current issues with webOS have been ignored with the persistent claim that they're bias (whom they're biased to depends on what is being discussed at the moment) and non-representative of actual performance. I must ask though: If they're so non-representative, how did all of the reviewers reach the same consensus? Did they merely share the same Touchpad?
    Merovingian likes this.
  20. Antwan3k's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Just lost a huge post on the timeout, but it's pointless. The rabid ******-ism and lack of reality in this forum make it impossible to provide accurate information to potential buyers.

    The TouchPad is a disappointment so get used to it.
    you're disappointed and that's fair..

    What isnt fair is to make such a blank statement as if it is a fact.. Because it is not.. Im not disappointed with the Touchpad.. It's not perfect but then again which device is??.. My girlfriend has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, i've spent extensive time with it, and yes it's an outstanding device but I prefer my HP Touchpad for the very reasons I bought one in the first place: webOS and all its advantages.. Could there have been missteps that caused my experience to be "disappointing"?.. Yes, absolutely.. Did those missteps materialize?.. No.. Instead what i got where a couple hardware design decisions that ONLY matter because the "iPad 2" launched with them (not everyone cares about a rear-facing camera and fractions of a millimeter in thickness) and a few minor bugs/lags that will soon be fixed with an OTA update (OTA updates being yet another thing the iPad CAN'T currently do by the way)..

    Hardly a disappointment sir..

    honestly, I'm sorry if you think that if someone else has a different personal preference than you that makes them a "******".. Some people are happy with the Touchpad.. Some people are not happy with the Touchpad.. Those are the facts and maybe you're the one that needs to get "used to" that ideal..
    hparsons likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions