Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70
Like Tree83Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by khalid7412002 View Post
    I personally find it more enjoyable in its current buggy state than I find the ipad 2, which has had many more years to be refined.
    You are like so many others, but not in enough masses. If this is strongest argument to justify TP purchase, we are all back at the binning, in 2009. Enjoyable and refined UI, and promising OS only were not enough to keep Palm alive, in matter a fact, that was not enough for Palm to be sold at respectable price. Following philosophy that phorm is more important than performance WebOS gained about two million users which had catastrophic outcome for Palm.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by khalid7412002 View Post
    all I gotta say is that after 2 weeks of using an ipad 2 on a daily basis, I was ready to throw it out my hotel window. I loved the apps and how refined the OS was, but the lack of an easier multitasking UI killed it for me. Also I didnt realize how important flash is on a browser even for non multimedia usage. For example, I tried buying something online from lowe's website but it was flash based or used a component that was flash which prevented me from buying something. So I returned it and got 2 touchpads, 2 cases, and 2 touchstones. Overall I find the touchpad much more enjoyable, although I am eagerly awaiting that update for some issues,like lag and certain apps taking a while to load. Do I think the touchpad is a slam dunk tablet, no I dont, but I believe it has greater potential than everything currently on the market. Think of it this way, I personally find it more enjoyable in its current buggy state than I find the ipad 2, which has had many more years to be refined.
    Damm, bought 2 Touchpads, 2 cases, and 2 touchstones !!! Daddy warbucks...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  3. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I believe most reviews have been fair. the criticism and the flaws of the TouchPad are 100 percent true and have merit. The weight, size and lack of a large selection of applications at launch (including glitches and bugs) are true and factual. That being said, there seems to be a lack of balance in these tech reviews. While the TouchPad has disadvantages over their competitors, it also has features not highly mentioned or shuffled to the back of reviews. This gives the reader a very bad taste in their mouth, which I can only assume why people are so frustrated.

    Advantages :
    TTS
    True Multitasking (live apps)
    Synergy
    HP Profile Cloud Storage (free of charge)
    Built in Skype integration (video and voice)
    Inductive Charging
    SMS and Call forwarding via Bluetooth (HP devices 2x only)
    Butler support
    webOS Internals (Homebrew) supported openly by HP
    webOS Doctor for safe and easy restore
    *Great community support*

    While every review I have read lists the disadvantages, which they should, I don't often see the advantages mentioned. And the best part of what makes webOS so unique? all the advantages are free of charge, no apps required, all built-in

    I am not looking for shinning 10/10 reviews. I don't mind if the facts stated are not to a webOS users liking. I am just making a point of reviews listing the good with the bad. most I have read DON'T!
    I agree, the lack of balance in the reviews is what's distasteful.The day after release I tested a demo at Bestbuy did not experience any lag, was thoroughly impressed with the user experience (webOS looks great on a hi-res display), the build despite the glossiness and ordered one from Amazon the following day.
    Does it have the flaws listed by reviewers? Yes, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I was not really impressed with the Pre plus after I bought it but the touchpad has really impressed me and feels like a next generation device.
    Also the user reviews on Bestbuy and Amazon show a huge discrepancy with the reviewers indicating something's wrong with their reviews.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    You are like so many others, but not in enough masses. If this is strongest argument to justify TP purchase, we are all back at the binning, in 2009. Enjoyable and refined UI, and promising OS only were not enough to keep Palm alive, in matter a fact, that was not enough for Palm to be sold at respectable price. Following philosophy that phorm is more important than performance WebOS gained about two million users which had catastrophic outcome for Palm.
    Not enough??? Based on what, two week's worth of soft launch sales?

    And in that two weeks, do you know how many they've sold? If you don't, how do you know it's "not enough"?
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Also the user reviews on Bestbuy and Amazon show a huge discrepancy with the reviewers indicating something's wrong with their reviews.
    No, it's actually because those are (mostly) "reviews" from WebOS fans.

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Advantages :
    TTS
    TTS is a gimmicky (as of now, it only shares websites), not to mention is currently unavailable (It doesn't work with any device currently in the market).

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    True Multitasking (live apps)
    It is mentioned (everywhere) how beautiful WebOS card paradigm is (GUI)! On the other hand, customers don't care if it's "real" or "iOS/WP7 like" multitasking, as they can't see the difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Synergy
    It is mentioned. But Synergy isn't as a big difference as it used to be, WebOS basely only uses it for contacts and the messaging app (Windows Phone 7 feature is fairly more rich, but with support for less services).

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    HP Profile Cloud Storage (free of charge)
    You couldn't be more right about this. But it's hardly a feature to jump ships (for most customers at least).

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Built in Skype integration (video and voice)
    It wasn't mentioned often because many reviewes got problems with it (some couldn't even bring it to work). But it is, indeed, a likeable feature.

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Inductive Charging
    I really like inductive charging, and it was mentioned often (specially on big sites, like thisismynext or engadget). But it isn't included (and is completely overpriced)

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    SMS and Call forwarding via Bluetooth (HP devices 2x only)
    Useless. People don't have HP/Palm smartphone, neither any reviewer is going to recommend them to buy one (He doesn't have anything to recommend: Pre 2? ... HP Veer? Hopefully the Pre will change this sad scenario).

    <<staff edit>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/14/2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: baiting comment - not allowed
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
  6.    #46  
    jtfolden,

    You missed the point once again. I don't want rosy reviews on the product. I want real informed indepth reviews from people who actually own one. I want real owners to compare their experiences with the reviewer's so a potential buyer gets a fair assessment. There are two many comparisons out there masquerading as reviews that are slanted one way or the other and there are reviewers that obviously did not use the device and just repeated what others have said. I'm trying to get away from that. I asked owners in another thread to list their experiences on Cnet. A person who didn't own one gave a positive review on it based on a visit to Best Buy. I politely thank him/her for his review but I was not happy with him/her and let it be known. That person did not help because he/she was not experienced with the device.

    Anyway, right now I'm concerned with the random reboots others owners are experiencing on the device.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    -Force reviewers to actually use the device and list the both the strengths and weaknesses based on users needs, not other devices
    -To do their own review and not obviously repeat the misinformation they heard from other reviewers
    -Post your own honest review based on your assessment as a Touchpad OWNERon tech and shopping websites to give potential buyers an honest look at the product in the real world

    Don't sugar coat anything, just be honest. I think the Touchpad deserves an honest assessment.
    This thread was clearly an attempt to start a grassroots promotional campaign which is fine - do that - but an "honest assessment" is obviously not what you are going for here. More than once you've tried to discount less than positive opinions you don't agree with by saying they are imaginary, assuming things others didn't say/feel, or putting words in people's virtual mouths, etc...

    The assessment of the person who tried a Touchpad and wasn't swayed enough to purchase it as it currently stands due to real issues is JUST as valid as the person who was swayed enough to buy it. That's an honest assessment. That's what DEMO UNITS are for.. whether sent to reviewers or tried in a store. Some flaws (and some advantages) are immediately obvious in this scenario and it is indeed those factors that lead to the decision for purchase among a casual consumer.

    Furthermore, if someone wants to leave a review somewhere where is it written that it's up to you to be "happy with it" or not and "let them know". That sounds quite arrogant.
  8.    #48  
    augustofretes,

    User reviews are user reviews. I saw a lot of iOS users in those reviews. It doesn't matter though. A user is a user. I would not give out misinformation simply because I like a platform. I have friends and relatives who value my opinion and $500 is a lot of money to mislead a person away from. You can't simply dismiss these as webOS crusaders trying to mislead people into buying a product. I've been in these forums for years and I can tell you that this community as a whole does that.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    This thread was clearly an attempt to start a grassroots promotional campaign which is fine - do that - but an "honest assessment" is obviously not what you are going for here. More than once you've tried to discount less than positive opinions you don't agree with by saying they are imaginary, assuming things others didn't say/feel, or putting words in people's virtual mouths, etc...

    The assessment of the person who tried a Touchpad and wasn't swayed enough to purchase it as it currently stands due to real issues is JUST as valid as the person who was swayed enough to buy it. That's an honest assessment. That's what DEMO UNITS are for.. whether sent to reviewers or tried in a store. Some flaws (and some advantages) are immediately obvious in this scenario and it is indeed those factors that lead to the decision for purchase among a casual consumer.

    Furthermore, if someone wants to leave a review somewhere where is it written that it's up to you to be "happy with it" or not and "let them know". That sounds quite arrogant.
    Ugh!

    If you note I've only had issues with folks who don't own one posting here. I have asked repeatedly that real owners post their opinions to these review sites instead I get a deluge of stuff from non-owners. You opinion counts as a potential buyer but not for this thread. There is a difference between grass roots and astro-turfing. I don't want astro-turfing. Don't try to discredit or give credit to a reviewer if you don't own one.
  10. tomtazz's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwan3k View Post
    you're disappointed and that's fair..

    What isnt fair is to make such a blank statement as if it is a fact.. Because it is not.. Im not disappointed with the Touchpad.. It's not perfect but then again which device is??.. My girlfriend has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, i've spent extensive time with it, and yes it's an outstanding device but I prefer my HP Touchpad for the very reasons I bought one in the first place: webOS and all its advantages.. Could there have been missteps that caused my experience to be "disappointing"?.. Yes, absolutely.. Did those missteps materialize?.. No.. Instead what i got where a couple hardware design decisions that ONLY matter because the "iPad 2" launched with them (not everyone cares about a rear-facing camera and fractions of a millimeter in thickness) and a few minor bugs/lags that will soon be fixed with an OTA update (OTA updates being yet another thing the iPad CAN'T currently do by the way)..

    Hardly a disappointment sir..

    honestly, I'm sorry if you think that if someone else has a different personal preference than you that makes them a "******".. Some people are happy with the Touchpad.. Some people are not happy with the Touchpad.. Those are the facts and maybe you're the one that needs to get "used to" that ideal..
    We all have different opinions and experiences that make us who we are today and no one should ever discount that.

    I have used the iPad 1 and 2 and I liked them both. I have owned three Android Smartphones and liked them as well. I now own a Palm Pre 2 and the TouchPad and I am extremely pleased with both of them. All I do is surf the web, check e-mail, do Facebook, and I love the way it works for the things I do.

    I am sorry that some of you are having issues, but I am not for what I do with the devices.

    Thanks
  11. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    No, it's actually because those are (mostly) "reviews" from WebOS fans.



    TTS is a gimmicky (as of now, it only shares websites), not to mention is currently unavailable (It doesn't work with any device currently in the market).



    It is mentioned (everywhere) how beautiful WebOS card paradigm is (GUI)! On the other hand, customers don't care if it's "real" or "iOS/WP7 like" multitasking, as they can't see the difference.



    It is mentioned. But Synergy isn't as a big difference as it used to be, WebOS basely only uses it for contacts and the messaging app (Windows Phone 7 feature is fairly more rich, but with support for less services).



    You couldn't be more right about this. But it's hardly a feature to jump ships (for most customers at least).



    It wasn't mentioned often because many reviewes got problems with it (some couldn't even bring it to work). But it is, indeed, a likeable feature.



    I really like inductive charging, and it was mentioned often (specially on big sites, like thisismynext or engadget). But it isn't included (and is completely overpriced)



    Useless. People don't have HP/Palm smartphone, neither any reviewer is going to recommend them to buy one (He doesn't have anything to recommend: Pre 2? ... HP Veer? Hopefully the Pre will change this sad scenario).

    <<staff edit>>
    I don't agree that positive reviews are from *******, in fact the lower reviews are from self professed webos users. Several of the most enthusiastic are from 1st time webOS users.
    Regarding multitasking, it's the most positively reviewed aspect in the reviews and is the most important feature that distinguishes a tablet from a toy to a productive device. The TP is a gen 1 device which can be successful, if HP carries out promised bug fixes. The fact that Rubes been replaced means that HP is serious about this platform.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/14/2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not enough??? Based on what, two week's worth of soft launch sales?
    Based on bad seles records from original Pre to Veer, and total number of webOS users represented in statistical reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And in that two weeks, do you know how many they've sold? If you don't, how do you know it's "not enough"?
    I really don't know how many TouchPads HP managed to sell. I only know from for sure, directly from HP officials, that in this two weeks, TouchPad got not too good reviews, that some glitches and bugs reported by early adopters will be ironed, and that guy in charge of webOS is moved from position.

    Man, it is nice that you love webOS so much, but HP needs tens of millions webOS users for webOS to survive, and to gain that numbers, webOS must perform well, must have common features, and to be packed in modern form factor. They don't need to reinvent wheel, or if they do, if they want to and insist to reinvent it, than their wheel must be slicker than existing one, especially if they are bragging about it.
  13. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by khalid7412002 View Post
    all I gotta say is that after 2 weeks of using an ipad 2 on a daily basis, I was ready to throw it out my hotel window. I loved the apps and how refined the OS was, but the lack of an easier multitasking UI killed it for me. Also I didnt realize how important flash is on a browser even for non multimedia usage. For example, I tried buying something online from lowe's website but it was flash based or used a component that was flash which prevented me from buying something. So I returned it and got 2 touchpads, 2 cases, and 2 touchstones. Overall I find the touchpad much more enjoyable, although I am eagerly awaiting that update for some issues,like lag and certain apps taking a while to load. Do I think the touchpad is a slam dunk tablet, no I dont, but I believe it has greater potential than everything currently on the market. Think of it this way, I personally find it more enjoyable in its current buggy state than I find the ipad 2, which has had many more years to be refined.
    As much as the WebOs card multitasking is amazing, the Playbook does the card multitasking better as QNX is a microkernel. Both QNX and WebOS are living off of "potential". It will be interesting which will be able to acheive this potiental first.
    Last edited by gabe2gg; 07/14/2011 at 12:36 PM.
  14. #54  
    My experience with Playbook was indeed enjoyable, and I don't think RIM is out of tablet game at all if they manage to integrate their services in future tablets.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Based on bad seles records from original Pre to Veer, and total number of webOS users represented in statistical reports.
    I'm not sure if this completely correlates to sales figures but Alexa's traffic rank for Precentral shows an interesting trend. There was a spike in traffic at the end of June (presumably when the TouchPad review embargo was lifted) and traffic has been dropping ever since. Presumably, people dropped in to see what the initial reactions to the TouchPad were and didn't stick around after finding out.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Based on bad seles records from original Pre to Veer, and total number of webOS users represented in statistical reports.


    I really don't know how many TouchPads HP managed to sell. I only know from for sure, directly from HP officials, that in this two weeks, TouchPad got not too good reviews, that some glitches and bugs reported by early adopters will be ironed, and that guy in charge of webOS is moved from position.
    Ahh, since you don't know, you're basing your assumptions on the devices marketed by the company they bought.

    You just defined your credentials very well, thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Man, it is nice that you love webOS so much, but HP needs tens of millions webOS users for webOS to survive, and to gain that numbers, webOS must perform well, must have common features, and to be packed in modern form factor. They don't need to reinvent wheel, or if they do, if they want to and insist to reinvent it, than their wheel must be slicker than existing one, especially if they are bragging about it.
    Understood, but in spite of your negative (and often false) information, HP has just begun this effort.

    BTW, glad you think it's "nice" that I like WebOS, that's why I use this forum. Why do you?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    My experience with Playbook was indeed enjoyable, and I don't think RIM is out of tablet game at all if they manage to integrate their services in future tablets.
    Your right. It's funny how Cnet compared the Touchpad to the Playbook and not the Touchpad to the iPad. Their initial review of the Touchpad was iPad intensive so you would think they would have compared the two. Do they see a market emerging for business oriented tablets that the iPad can't compete in? Wouldn't that prove HP and RIM's point? I liked the Playbook but the lack of email without a Blackberry phone killed it for me. I do a lot of email. The price point was also not appealing for a 7 inch device but it looks like RIM dropped the price. There is a lot of chatter though about some poor decisions made by RIM to get the product out quicker and HP may receive the same treatment if things don't turn around after the 17th, which they will definitely deserve.
  18.    #58  
    Also, I see reference to the Playbook as a covert divide and conquer strategy. Sorry but I can't turn of my military mind.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Your right. It's funny how Cnet compared the Touchpad to the Playbook and not the Touchpad to the iPad. Their initial review of the Touchpad was iPad intensive so you would think they would have compared the two. Do they see a market emerging for business oriented tablets that the iPad can't compete in? Wouldn't that prove HP and RIM's point? I liked the Playbook but the lack of email without a Blackberry phone killed it for me. I do a lot of email. The price point was also not appealing for a 7 inch device but it looks like RIM dropped the price. There is a lot of chatter though about some poor decisions made by RIM to get the product out quicker and HP may receive the same treatment if things don't turn around after the 17th, which they will definitely deserve.
    Reviewers were far more aggressive with Playbook than with TouchPad with reason -releasing PB without integrated BB services was suicide, and potentially great OS stayed in the shadow. I don't know what to expect from 17th, just hoping something crucial will change in webOS land.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    BTW, glad you think it's "nice" that I like WebOS, that's why I use this forum. Why do you?
    I ruled out webOS as my OS of choice for smartphone, but I stayed here to check option for webOS tablet. That option is fading more and more. If future OTA release push webOS in direction I like, that option will again be actual.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions