Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Just lost a huge post on the timeout, but it's pointless. The rabid ******-ism and lack of reality in this forum make it impossible to provide accurate information to potential buyers.

The TouchPad is a disappointment so get used to it.
    Every tablet to this point has been a disappointment, imo, including the iPad, its follow-up, and the new Galaxy Tab. The only non-Windows "tablet" to meet a decent price/performance value is the freaking Nook Color.
    I have to say I was eagerly awaiting the Touchpad. I've been visiting this site virtually every day for months to read the latest info and it seemed to take ages for any stock to appear in my middling town.

I finally saw a demo unit at the local Best Buy a couple of days ago. To be completely frank, I was disappointed in it within just a few brief minutes.

The UI itself is great, as expected, but starting certain apps took ages, to the point that I just had to toss the window off the screen and try something else rather than be standing in the middle of BB just staring at a glowing icon for what felt like an eternity. It was very odd. One app would open in the blink of an eye and another would be entirely unresponsive.

I was particularly eager to see the mail app and it looked great, as well, but the UI seemed very sluggish. I tried to slide the various panes left/right and it seemed to take up to 10 seconds to respond.

I don't know if this is indicative of the Touchpad in general but it's the only demo unit I have access to right now and my experience seemed to fall in line with what some of the reviewers have said.

OTOH, I thought it felt like a solid, quality device when it came to the hardware itself. My only real complaint there is that the connection between the mini-USB connecter and the cable seemed slightly flimsy. There was a little play there and I've never seen something like that on my Pre nor on any Apple device.

Overall, my impatience to get one has mellowed to tepid enthusiasm right now. There's absolutely NO way I'd spend $500 on it and certainly not on any sort of 'future promise' there might be in the device. I'll keep eagerly following the news and hoping things shape up over the next 2 1/2 - 3 months or so. If HP doesn't solve the issues fairly quickly then I really can't hold out beyond that time and will be looking at getting an iPad. I love WebOS but promises will no longer get it. I need something that works and works well. At $500, it darn well should.
    Merovingian and StuckwVerizon like this.
  3.    #23  
    Just lost a huge post on the timeout, but it's pointless. The rabid ******-ism and lack of reality in this forum make it impossible to provide accurate information to potential buyers.

What a load of crap. Crying like a baby and running off doesn't help you. I respected you more when you were providing valid points although I didn't agree with everything you said. Do you own a Touchpad or are you just here to spread FUD? I want people to provide honest assessments of their Touchpads and rebut any false claims by lazy reviewers. What I want is grounded in reality. The reality of actually using a Touchpad.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I have to say I was eagerly awaiting the Touchpad. I've been visiting this site virtually every day for months to read the latest info and it seemed to take ages for any stock to appear in my middling town.

I finally saw a demo unit at the local Best Buy a couple of days ago. To be completely frank, I was disappointed in it within just a few brief minutes.

The UI itself is great, as expected, but starting certain apps took ages, to the point that I just had to toss the window off the screen and try something else rather than be standing in the middle of BB just staring at a glowing icon for what felt like an eternity. It was very odd. One app would open in the blink of an eye and another would be entirely unresponsive.

I was particularly eager to see the mail app and it looked great, as well, but the UI seemed very sluggish. I tried to slide the various panes left/right and it seemed to take up to 10 seconds to respond.

I don't know if this is indicative of the Touchpad in general but it's the only demo unit I have access to right now and my experience seemed to fall in line with what some of the reviewers have said.

OTOH, I thought it felt like a solid, quality device when it came to the hardware itself. My only real complaint there is that the connection between the mini-USB connecter and the cable seemed slightly flimsy. There was a little play there and I've never seen something like that on my Pre nor on any Apple device.

Overall, my impatience to get one has mellowed to tepid enthusiasm right now. There's absolutely NO way I'd spend $500 on it and certainly not on any sort of 'future promise' there might be in the device. I'll keep eagerly following the news and hoping things shape up over the next 2 1/2 - 3 months or so. If HP doesn't solve the issues fairly quickly then I really can't hold out beyond that time and will be looking at getting an iPad. I love WebOS but promises will no longer get it. I need something that works and works well. At $500, it darn well should.
    I cant speak for anyone else but I also had a similar experience with the Best Buy display unit I played with prior to purchase.. Thankfully I dont have anything remotely the same happening with my retail unit.. Most input lag is comparable to my girlfriend's Galaxy Tab 10.1 as they both generally dont respond to gestures as fast as the iPad 2.. Yet in terms on available features, I find them both superior to the iOS offering honestly (multitasking, flash, etc)..

I did have to do a hard restart once due to my apps not launching.. Since then I havent had any further issues and am very confident in putting my Touchpad head-to-head with my gf's Tab 10.1 and/or my buddy's iPad 2 in terms of practical daily usage..
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    you wrote my thoughts nearly exactly.

keep it coming kids.
  6.    #26  

jtfolden. I understand your concerns. Everything has flaws but I have to ask how much of your enthusiam or initial reactions to the device were persuaded by a review prior to seeing it in action? We tend to amplify the flaws that other people point out even if they are not really there.

Case in point, Toyota had a rock solid reliability rating on their vehicles. The reviewers would go on and on about how buying a Toyota was a sure thing. Then one person had a problem with the brakes on a car that was eventually disputed. Not before the news had a field day with it. All of a sudden if you watch the news, it was like Toyotas were careening off the sides of roads everywhere and exploding. People were taking their Toyotas into the shop for every little squeak. Every recall that Toyota had after that was scrutinized. Their reliability rating dropped based on public opinion alone. No facts. Even though their cars were no less reliable then they were a year before. One bad review/story with little to no evidence to back it up sank the reliability rating of a mighty company like Toyota. What to you think it would do to HP or the Touchpad? Reviews matter.

This thread is for you but it is not for you. This thread is to get others to say what they think about their Touchpad in order to persuade you to buy one. I was like you. I was hyped up to get one and read the initial reviews on Cnet and Engadget and lost my enthusiasm. I got lucky though. The HP salesperson in my local BestBuy had her own Touchpad. When I complained about the displays being slow and a little buggy she acknowledge it. She then told me that her real one was not like that. I ask her if she would show it to me. She did and it was smooth. I played with it for 5 minutes and all my fears went away. The only problem that it had was that it would not connect to her Droid through bluetooth, but it connected to my Pre just fine. I bought one and walked out the store happy. 13 days later and I'm still smiling.

I would say to you that the iPad is not the be all end all that you think it is. My friends with iPads and iPhones were pretty impressed with my Touchpad. So much so that they were talking about buying one themselves when they got some more cash. $500 is a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't fit your needs. Wait a little and try out every tablet on the market, then come back after the OTA update and give the Touchpad a try. See if it still suits your needs. Good luck!
    C-Note and edibledawg like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpora View Post
    You've written a well-thought out post but you're disregarding the reality of the situation in it. ....

... All of these posts and reviews accurately detailing the current issues with webOS have been ignored with the persistent claim that they're bias (whom they're biased to depends on what is being discussed at the moment) and non-representative of actual performance. I must ask though: If they're so non-representative, how did all of the reviewers reach the same consensus? Did they merely share the same Touchpad?
    Corpora,

After reading your post, I re-read all of the previous posts. And while I will agree that sometimes the boosterism around here is too much even for me, I didn't see much of any of that in the vast majority of this thread. (Seriously, read the posts) Most acknowledge that there are deficiencies with the Touchpad.

Most of the posts said that the reviews seem to be skewed to put more weight on the advantages of the iPad over the Touchpad without acknowledging the strengths of the Touchpad. Very few are ignoring the truthfulness of the reviewers experience. Is it even remotely possible that the reviewers experience may have been less than accurate? Is it possible that not everyone who post about a good experience is not merely a booster. Not all of the reviews were negative - one listed the TP as the best tablet outside of the iPad2. So ALL of the reviews were NOT negative as you claim.

(Having said that, it's HP problem to fix what they perceive as a false perception of their product - not mine or anyone else here unless they work for HP)

Case in point, I've have a Pre Plus for 18 months. The device gets used everyday (3 email accounts, 2 calendars, internet radio regularly,etc.) I have no problems with it at all, except the screen protector peeling up around the telephone 'earpiece'. Am I merely a blind fan?

The reviewers are allowed to have a preference, but if a feature is unimportant until Apple introduces it - From 'cut-and-paste' to multitasking to notification methods to inductive charging (rumored to be in the new devices) to touch to share; then how is it unreasonable to not have a perception that some of the reviewers may have a leaning toward the Apple products?

I'd love to see full disclosure where the reviewer has to state what personal mobile device they use.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  8.    #28  
    C-Note, well said. Very well said!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    ok, try this theory out for size: What if the primary hardware features of the iPad 2 and the Touchpad were reversed?

think about it.. NO ONE was complaining about the original size of the iPad (which happens to be the same size of the Touchpad) but instead of Apple changing the dimensions, they decided to add stereo sound, wireless charging, Touch-to-Share with the iPhone, and bluetooth compatibility to sync your iPhone to the iPad so that you can send/receive phone calls and text messages via the iPad..

and lets say in response, HP made the Touchpad with a slightly thinner and lighter design, added a poor quality rear-facing camera, and kept mono sound..

reviewers everywhere would be BASHING the Touchpad left and right.. They'd bash it for not upgrading to stereo sound.. At that point, "stereo sound is a must for watching videos" would be the echo'd statement.. They'd bash it for not charging wirelessly like the iPad 2.. They'd claim that "wired charging is a thing of past!!!.. This was a horrible choice by HP!!".. They'd get bashed for not taking their mobile devices into account.. "I cant believe HP doesnt have any kind of syncing between their tablet and their mobile phones!!.. I mean what Apple did was a stroke of genius!!. Tapping your phone to the tablet to share data?.. Answering mobile calls and SMS from the tablet?.. Come on HP, you have to keep up with the latest trends if you're going to compete!!".. And of course "so you added a rear camera but who really NEEDS one?".. And "sure you made your tablet thinner ans lighter but the iPad 2's size is just fine.. Plus being so thin feels too light in the hands honestly".. It would be a COMPLETE 180 of what is being said now..

this is what this thread is partially about.. The idea that reviewers and consumers are so in love with Apple's design choices that any differentiating feature that isnt an obvious upgrade MUST be viewed as a downgrade..

and before anybody misses the point, YES the Touchpad had some minor issues on the software side.. I'm just strictly talking about hardware complaints and how hypocritical things would be if the hardware features were reversed.. Heck, I'm already reading articles about how Apple is working on wireless charging and iphone/iPad data transfer.. "working on"?.. The Touchpad is capable of that NOW yet no reviewer is going to think these are "must have features" until the iPad 3 or iPad 4 has them.. Until then, they're just "nice options"..
    I don't need reviewers. I walked into best buy, used the touchpad, didn't like it, and didn't buy it. I'm not gonna go crusading for any consumer electronic device either. You can "fight back" all you want but it's naive to dismiss legit criticism as if it didn't happen when people at HP have already announced that updates will be coming to fix the very issues mentioned in reviews. Nobody's going to always say nice things about stuff you like. People need to just deal with it and buy the device if they like it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Merovingian likes this.
  11.    #31  
    I'm heading off to bed. Look everyone, promoters and distractors, it does no good to:

1) Argue points with people over a Tablet you don't have and haven't used for more than 5 minutes
    2) Post your frustrations about negative reviews on fan websites (unless your blowing off steam)

Back to the original reason for this thread:

-Force reviewers to actually use the device and list the both the strengths and weaknesses based on users needs, not other devices
    -To do their own review and not obviously repeat the misinformation they heard from other reviewers
    -Post your own honest review based on your assessment as a Touchpad OWNERon tech and shopping websites to give potential buyers an honest look at the product in the real world

Don't sugar coat anything, just be honest. I think the Touchpad deserves an honest assessment.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    jtfolden. I understand your concerns. Everything has flaws but I have to ask how much of your enthusiam or initial reactions to the device were persuaded by a review prior to seeing it in action? We tend to amplify the flaws that other people point out even if they are not really there.
    Something being embarrasingly sluggish is not an imaginary problem. It's a major issue when a $500-600 device is running so slowly that you can't even tell if it has locked up. Hopefully, the next OTA update will solve these types of issues but if it comes and I'm still hearing complaints, I doubt I'm going to wait for the magical one they claim is coming around xmas, etc...

My enthusiasm was not dampened at all by initial "reviews", or rather I should say it was not dampened by the reviewers opinions themselves. Certainly, when actual facts come to light - like no document editing software - that's a legitimate problem on a device that is supposed to be taken seriously.

It matters not, to me, if the device fits the reviewer's needs (or other customers) only if it fits mine and my expectations. Some reviewers found the device sluggish, as did I. Some found the device too heavy, etc... I didn't care/notice. In fact, I really have no immediate problems with the hardware specs at all. This gives me a little hope that software solutions can be forthcoming quickly (and that HP won't be like Palm in this regard).

This thread is for you but it is not for you. This thread is to get others to say what they think about their Touchpad in order to persuade you to buy one.
    That sounds like you are saying that only people with completely positive opinions should voice them and that those with valid, critical experience that may not be so rosy should remain mum for the sake of more sales.

Surely, a realistic comparison of customer's, and potential customer's, experience as it compares to professional reviews is a more constructive focus than a thread attempting to SELL the device (that's HP's job). I'll be skimming posts here for the "facts" in the same way I'd skim a review.

I was like you. I was hyped up to get one and read the initial reviews on Cnet and Engadget and lost my enthusiasm.
    Then you weren't like me. I never stated the reviews dampened my enthusiasm - time spent with the actual device did. I only spent 15-20 minutes one day and another 10 the next (...and hey, that's probably more than some reviewers!) but it wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been. I don't think a device's issues should be that immediately apparent in such a short time. I'm glad to see that other people are finding some units to be much faster than my experience with them BUT there seems to be a number of other customers/fans mentioning lag. I don't believe the demo units are any different than what is shipping retail. One isn't any more "real" than the other, as you suggest.

Maybe the device gets sluggish only over time and a demo unit is rarely rebooted, probably running constantly... maybe the demo app itself has a memory leak??? ...but it's a concern when I see another poster here saying he reboots his TP every few days to keep it running at peak performance. I don't feel I should need to do that on a stable device.

I would say to you that the iPad is not the be all end all that you think it is.
    Considering that you have absolutely NO idea what I "think" the iPad is, I find it kinda weird you would even say that. A comment like that really isn't any better than those of a reviewer. It just sounds like someone with an agenda. The iPad isn't perfect but it has the edge in a number of areas at the moment.

Right now, today, as much as I love WebOS and the 'look & feel' of the UI I would most assuredly choose an iPad over a TP based on the experience I had. An Android based tablet isn't even in the running for me personally, so it's down to these two. Luckily for HP, I'm not buying today - they have a small window of opportunity to increase their game and fix some of the shortcomings. I'm perfectly aware that a 1.0 device will have it's share of teething problems but if they're serious about competing, they will solve them with a quickness.

On the good side, I think HP is smart enough to realize that they can't drag their feet. Let's hope they put the resources on it that they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwan3k View Post
    NO ONE was complaining about the original size of the iPad (which happens to be the same size of the Touchpad)
    nobody really cares though now because that's an old ipad version that i don't think is even for sale anymore except old stock. Things will always get compared to the latest and greatest. Not sure why people keep expecting to get measured by an out of date standard.

The standard has been raised. Samsung understands and adapted. That's the reality of business. Keep up or get left behind. But when the bar get's raised you can't expect to still win when can only jump over the old lower height.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    If anybody is looking for a review from someone who had the device for a while try aaron from phonedog review.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I don't need reviewers. I walked into best buy, used the touchpad, didn't like it, and didn't buy it. I'm not gonna go crusading for any consumer electronic device either. You can "fight back" all you want but it's naive to dismiss legit criticism as if it didn't happen when people at HP have already announced that updates will be coming to fix the very issues mentioned in reviews. Nobody's going to always say nice things about stuff you like. People need to just deal with it and buy the device if they like it.
    SnotBoogie,

No one is asking you to go on a crusade about a device you don't even own and didn't like. What good would your review be even if you liked the device? You could not speak from the experience gained by owning one.

A disappointment to who? It seems that most of the disappointment is coming from those with no interest in owning one. Those that do seem pretty satisfied for the most part.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    If anybody is looking for a review from someone who had the device for a while try aaron from phonedog review.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    Outstanding! He did not recommend it because his kept constantly rebooting but it was nice to see a review that was not a hit and run one. An honest review, not a comparison made to look like a review. Hopefully the OTA update fixes the reboots issue because I would not recommend if if I had half the reboots he had. Looking at the Random reboots thread now....

Once again, please don't post anything that you don't understand from not owning the device. It doesn't help potential buyers or actual owners. I'm going to offer my services in that thread to see if I can get my Touchpad to do the same thing. Apparently HP is working on this but not fast enough, IMO.
    Having in mind that TP is lovechild of HP - biggest tech company of today, and Palm - godfathers of mobile computing, accompanied with fact that top HP execs was lamented from begging of 2011 how significant product TP will be not only as turn point for HP, but also as an number one+ product in prosumer market which will be gradually invaded by armies of future webOS devices, reviews are not so harsh at all.
    Reviewers even played nice and didn't mock HP for not delivering what they promised.
    The reviewers are right. Consider this:

A review, and the score that comes with it, are a way of ranking the quality of the product compared to its peers (certainly, a DSLR that got 9 in 2001, wouldn't get 9 today...).

Readers of reviews expect the scores to form a total order, this is, if the iPad 2 got 9, and the Galaxy Tab got 8, and the Touchpad got 7, then it means the quality (and the reviewer purchases recommendation) folows the same order:

iPad 2 > Galaxy Tab > Touchpad

Along the review, goes the reviewer prestige, if a reader sees an iPad 2 with score x, and then the Touchpad with the same (or higher) score, and goes on to buy a Touchpad, only to later see an iPad 2 and think "this is much better (better build quality, faster, more functional, more apps, video-out, two cameras, slimmer, lighter)", then the reviewer prestige goes down. They can't recommend a product out of promises, because readers don't buy promises, but current products. If the Touchpad is an inferior device at launch (and hardware wise), not a single reviewer should give it a higher score than its competitors.

This requires objectivity, because sometimes we don't prefer the best product of the bunch, but rather we like one for any (subjective) reason. The Touchpad is, right now, and inferior product, despite how much you love it (and actually, you all love WebOS, there's no way you truly love the hardware) you should be able to realize this.

I had a WebOS device. I actually bought a Pre 2, I like it. Would I recommend it over an iPhone or similarly priced Android device? Of course not.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 07/14/2011 at 03:20 AM.
    all I gotta say is that after 2 weeks of using an ipad 2 on a daily basis, I was ready to throw it out my hotel window. I loved the apps and how refined the OS was, but the lack of an easier multitasking UI killed it for me. Also I didnt realize how important flash is on a browser even for non multimedia usage. For example, I tried buying something online from lowe's website but it was flash based or used a component that was flash which prevented me from buying something. So I returned it and got 2 touchpads, 2 cases, and 2 touchstones. Overall I find the touchpad much more enjoyable, although I am eagerly awaiting that update for some issues,like lag and certain apps taking a while to load. Do I think the touchpad is a slam dunk tablet, no I dont, but I believe it has greater potential than everything currently on the market. Think of it this way, I personally find it more enjoyable in its current buggy state than I find the ipad 2, which has had many more years to be refined.
    etx and Sapient2k7 like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast