Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why are you assuming things "basic stuff" and paml/HP coming up short on addressing basic stuff"? This is not a common occurrence, and is like not related to the two copies of the backups.

    The backup of the HP data is not shared with the backup of the Pre data.
    I don't know exactly how it is implemented..but it certainly didn't work for me..not sure if others have gone thur the same exact scenario that i went thru...it may not be very common..but it is a likely scenario given how often palm pre, pre+, crashes from time to time and need to do partial erase etc...Anyway..HP hasn't called...not expecting that they would...I am more upset because some of the apps i had are not there in the catalog...if the profile had restored...i would have them...now i am stuck without them...
  2. #22  
    If it were me, this is what I would do.

    On th phone, ensure any data you want to keep is in a synced profile (EG Contacts all saved to your Google account). Nothing important saved in the phone's database. Even though the USB partition shouldn't be affected, I'd back that up as well.

    Then turn off backups on the phone. This erases the backup in your profile. Then redoctor the phone.

    I had my Pre profile pretty well hosed a few months back, and this fixed it. Your mileage may vary.

    I still say that to assume this is a TouchPad error, and sound a warning to others is premature (no pun intended).
  3. #23  
    Also, can you name some of the apps specifically that you can no longer access?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Also, can you name some of the apps specifically that you can no longer access?
    scoop rss feed reader is one of them
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If it were me, this is what I would do.

    On th phone, ensure any data you want to keep is in a synced profile (EG Contacts all saved to your Google account). Nothing important saved in the phone's database. Even though the USB partition shouldn't be affected, I'd back that up as well.

    Then turn off backups on the phone. This erases the backup in your profile. Then redoctor the phone.

    I had my Pre profile pretty well hosed a few months back, and this fixed it. Your mileage may vary.

    I still say that to assume this is a TouchPad error, and sound a warning to others is premature (no pun intended).
    didnt say it is a touchpad issue. It is an issue came with the introduction of TP since now multiple devices with the same profile are supported. I am sure more people will run into this if HP doesnt fix it. I did everything by the book so it is not unique to me.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    didnt say it is a touchpad. It is an issue came with the introduction of TP since now multiple devices with the same profile are supported. I am sure more people will run into this if HP doesnt fix it. I did everything by the book so it is not unique to me.
    You may not have said it's a touchpad issue, but you posted it in the TouchPad forum. Again, it has nothing to do with the shared profile.

    Scoop RSS feeder is not in the catalog, and after doing a search, I see that you cross-posted this issue. Reading your other thread, you also indicated there that this is a "bug with multiple devices sharing the same palm profile. It is not.

    The applications themselves have never been stored in the Palm profile (or the HP profile), only a flag that you had purchased the app. You then can download the app for free from the catalog (actually after doctoring, the apps are automatically downloaded). If the app is no longer in the catalog (as is the case with Scoop RSS feeder) it will not download, and won't show up on your device.

    It's worth noting, had you simply deleted the app from your phone, you would not have been able to download it again either.

    Also, had you Doctored your phone without ever having a TouchPad, you would have the same problem.

    It's not a bug in the profile, it's just the way the system works.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You may not have said it's a touchpad issue, but you posted it in the TouchPad forum. Again, it has nothing to do with the shared profile.

    Scoop RSS feeder is not in the catalog, and after doing a search, I see that you cross-posted this issue. Reading your other thread, you also indicated there that this is a "bug with multiple devices sharing the same palm profile. It is not.

    The applications themselves have never been stored in the Palm profile (or the HP profile), only a flag that you had purchased the app. You then can download the app for free from the catalog (actually after doctoring, the apps are automatically downloaded). If the app is no longer in the catalog (as is the case with Scoop RSS feeder) it will not download, and won't show up on your device.

    It's worth noting, had you simply deleted the app from your phone, you would not have been able to download it again either.

    Also, had you Doctored your phone without ever having a TouchPad, you would have the same problem.

    It's not a bug in the profile, it's just the way the system works.
    Thanks for the info. I will let you know what I find out from HP if they ever call back. A lot of people here did doctor their phone. Not sure if they were able to successfully restored their apps following that (before TP came into existence). If that is the case, then what I saw is not an issue for multiple devices sharing the profile. In any case, HP should know this.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will let you know what I find out from HP if they ever call back. A lot of people here did doctor their phone. Not sure if they were able to successfully restored their apps following that (before TP came into existence). If that is the case, then what I saw is not an issue for multiple devices sharing the profile. In any case, HP should know this.
    I suspect HP does know about it, probably even the first level support folks. What I suspect they didn't know was that the missing apps are no longer available in the catalog.

    I'd recommend you call them back, reference the case #, and tell them that additional detail.

    That said, there's no real excuse for them not calling you back.
  9. #29  
    You might check out Feeder. It requires you sign up with Google Reader, but works with both the TouchPad and the Pre.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect HP does know about it, probably even the first level support folks. What I suspect they didn't know was that the missing apps are no longer available in the catalog.

    I'd recommend you call them back, reference the case #, and tell them that additional detail.

    That said, there's no real excuse for them not calling you back.
    can somebody confirm that if a phone is doctored...no 3rd party apps are restored once you sign back into the profile. I want to be clear..in my case none of 60 3rd party apps from the catalog were restored and not just the ones that are missing in the catalog.
  11. #31  
    can somebody confirm that if a phone is doctored...no 3rd party apps are restored once you sign back into the profile. I want to be clear..in my case none of 60 3rd party apps from the catalog were restored and not just the ones that are missing in the catalog.
  12. #32  
    Apps that you downloaded from the App Catalog will be restored after a Doctoring. Apps installed by Preware will not be restored.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Apps that you downloaded from the App Catalog will be restored after a Doctoring. Apps installed by Preware will not be restored.
    thanks rob. So what I saw is still an issue...no apps were restored.
  14. stephentr's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #34  
    I have the same problem. Doctored twice, no apps restored back.

    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    can somebody confirm that if a phone is doctored...no 3rd party apps are restored once you sign back into the profile. I want to be clear..in my case none of 60 3rd party apps from the catalog were restored and not just the ones that are missing in the catalog.
  15. #35  
    no apps, or no data for your apps?
  16. ludvball's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #36  
    just replaced my pre-and no apps restored. I am missing about 40 apps. Is there a way to restore my apps?
  17. #37  
    reinstall from the catalog.
  18. ludvball's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #38  
    I just went to download an app that i had purchased months ago and no longer is on my pre, and is still showing up on my touchpad (was on both devices). It said it was going to charge me. will it charge me again?
  19. #39  
    are both using the same profile?'same app I'D?

    if it tries to bill you, stop and open a chat session with palm. Hopefully have your email receipt
  20. stephentr's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #40  
    no 3rd party apps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions