Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I keep on running into websites and ect that require Microsoft Silverlight. Is there a way to install this? Is this on the roadmap? This is starting to get pretty important.

It really should be part of the browser and not some soft of APP because this pops up often lately on multimedia sites. (Example:Netflix, Skygo(Germany), Web Radio Streams and ect...) besides, if the browser can do it then we do not need a stinking app.
    Do not see this happening in the foreseeable future. Would be nice but I'm fairly sure HP has many other priorities.

Maybe a third party will try to build a browser with silverlight built in but i'm not quite sure what hoops browser devs have to jump through to be aloud to use silverlight from microsoft.
  3.    #3  
    Why? Safari has a Silverlight plugin. You would think that Microsoft would be happy if everyone used their plugin. It makes them more important. HP and MS are friends, so it should not be that hard. Another workaround could be an alternate browser like Firefox. I have read that Firefox was planning a webos browser a few years back, but it does not seem to have been released. Any news on this?
    Yes Silverlight would be good for Sky Go TV in the UK, unless Sky come up with a webOS app.
    Silverlight is also one great big ace in Microsoft's sleeve for the upcoming mobile device war.

I do not think they will be making silverlight for any other os other than their own. Just like if Adobe decided to make phones and tablets, you would not be seeing Flash run on anything other than their own.
  6.    #6  
    While that is likely I sure hope that is not the case. I guess until HP says something, our only hope will be that another browser like skyfire/opera/firefox will be ported to WebOs. (They can handle Silverlight).
    silverlight is somewhat like the next generation of activeX. In a world of html5, it will become less important. Steve jobs will take care of that for us.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    Silverlight support may come to webOS if HP walks over to Microsoft and reminds them they are the world leader in Windows PC sales.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    While that is likely I sure hope that is not the case. I guess until HP says something, our only hope will be that another browser like skyfire/opera/firefox will be ported to WebOs. (They can handle Silverlight).
    Simply porting those browsers to webOS isn't going to make silverlight work on webOS! Microsoft will still need to port Silverlight to webOS, which is unlikely to ever happen. There really isn't much HP can do here. We would probably have better results complaining to the web sites that are using Silverlight than ever getting it on a webOS device.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i've never installed silverlight on a desktop browser and my internet experience has been no worse off for it. don't see the need, personally.
  11.    #11  
    Well... just today I was looking into Sky Go (Sky is the European Time/Warner), Live TV and Movie Steaming, but can't use it without Silverlight. People have been complaining about Netflix (also silverlight), unfortunately that it not an option for me outside of the US. Just tried to listen to 99.5 the Wolf and their Web Audio Player uses.... thats right...Silverlight.

I really wish I could program, but I can't so I am dependent on those that can wrap their head around the "if and then" codes ;-)

Silverlight will be needed until everyone finds out that HTML5 is the next and best thing. I just hope that it comes soon. Everyone makes an app for the Ipad to workaround its shortcomings, but it seems like a lot of companies are still waiting to see if WebOs work will be worth it. However, it has not been out that long and we should just wait and see. In the mean time people can make their suggestions to HP WebOS team via the following link. Maybe if enough ask, they might find it important.

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i've never installed silverlight on a desktop browser and my internet experience has been no worse off for it. don't see the need, personally.
    You need it for Netflix. So far the only site that I know of that requires it. Playon fixes that for the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    If we had a silver light plugin we could also use MS Office 365. There is a silver light plugin for Linux. I think it is called moon or moonlight...
    The only reason anyone used Silverlight for this streaming video is because of the loads of DRM crap Microsoft put into the platform. And that is basically all it's good at. I don't want that crap clogging up my WebOS. Flash is better at just about everything.

Look at Boxee, it can play netflix. It it using silverlight? I'll have to look into that.
    BB Musketeers likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Silverlight is not the important part of the equation --- it is the DRM which came with it that enables you to watch all those streaming movies on netflix.

It doesn't matter what platform you have --- if you want HD content, you will have to have DRM.

Google spent $150 million 6 months ago to buy Widevine (a DRM technology firm). Texas Instruments just certified their Android Netflix app that they wrote (on the OMAP4 platform)--- with DRM licensed from Microsoft.
    Why not port Moonlight to WebOS? It is the Open Source implementation of Silverlight that is Linux based. Here is the url for Moonlight: Moonlight - Mono
    akshunj likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Even if you port Moonlight, you still can't watch netflix because Moonlight doesn't have DRM.
    never going to happen
  19.    #19  
    Answer from the official support forum:

Silverlight is becoming a popular resource for the web development. This application would have to be written by Microsoft for the Web OS operating system. I'm not sure if Microsoft would be willing to do that. But it sure would be nice....

I wonder if there is a way to request this by Microsoft? I will look into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Silverlight support may come to webOS if HP walks over to Microsoft and reminds them they are the world leader in Windows PC sales.
    From rest of this tread it looks like HP can wrote Netflix app and include DRM technology licensed from MS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast