Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Any developer who chooses Silverlight or Flash over HTML5 has no credibility, period.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    From rest of this tread it looks like HP can wrote Netflix app and include DRM technology licensed from MS
    nope, Netflix is holding back all of their APIs needed for this to happen. If a app will come, it will only come from Netflix.
  3. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Any developer who chooses Silverlight or Flash over HTML5 has no credibility, period.
    Any developer who is ignorant to the limitations of HTML5 (both video and otherwise) has no credibility. Period.
    OrionAntares#CB likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If you take a look at Texas Instruments' Android Netflix app --- it is evident that TI wrote the app all by themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    nope, Netflix is holding back all of their APIs needed for this to happen. If a app will come, it will only come from Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    ... Texas Instruments just certified their Android Netflix app that they wrote (on the OMAP4 platform)
    Can HP take this approach?
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If you take a look at Texas Instruments' Android Netflix app --- it is evident that TI wrote the app all by themselves.
    I belive that was for HD streaming of netflix, not SD.
    I'd also like Sliverlight on a TouchPad. If you do a side by side test of Netflix on PS3 & Xbox, you'll see the difference between H.264 and Sliverlight.

If I had to bet money, I'd say that we're more likely to see a Netflix H.264 player than a Sliverlight based one.
    Garth H
    San Jose, CA
  8.    #28  
    If it were only a netflix problem. There are a lot more media sites using Silverlight all around the world. Since the Touchpad is a Worldwide product, they will need to adapt Silverlight. Not every provider will create an app, and this will be one more reason that people will turn to an IPad. All sites that I am concerned like Sky Go have a stupid Ipad App. I suppose I could have just went mainstream and got an Ipad, but I am truely impressed with the Touchpad functionality. I caught my self trying to do app closure gestures today on my Iphone. I guess I have been playing with my Touchpad way too much :-)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Can HP take this approach?
    Yes. HP can do it --- like they write the Facebook app all by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    I belive that was for HD streaming of netflix, not SD.
    Yes, it is for HD streaming and the TouchPad CPU can handle HD video streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by msft_tinkering View Post
    I'd also like Sliverlight on a TouchPad. If you do a side by side test of Netflix on PS3 & Xbox, you'll see the difference between H.264 and Sliverlight.

If I had to bet money, I'd say that we're more likely to see a Netflix H.264 player than a Sliverlight based one.
    Silverlight also uses H.264.

Silverlight 4 : The Official Microsoft Silverlight Site
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    If it were only a netflix problem. There are a lot more media sites using Silverlight all around the world. Since the Touchpad is a Worldwide product, they will need to adapt Silverlight. Not every provider will create an app, and this will be one more reason that people will turn to an IPad. All sites that I am concerned like Sky Go have a stupid Ipad App. I suppose I could have just went mainstream and got an Ipad, but I am truely impressed with the Touchpad functionality. I caught my self trying to do app closure gestures today on my Iphone. I guess I have been playing with my Touchpad way too much :-)
    It is not a silverlight issue --- it is Microsoft's DRM solution (PlayReady) that is built within silverlight that is important.

All HP needs to do is either license a DRM solution from somebody (like TI licensing Microsoft's PlayReady for TI's own Android Netflix app) or buy a DRM technology firm (like Google spending $150 million on Widevine).

Once you have a DRM solution that is certified by at least one Hollywood studio --- it means that you can get any content you want. Netflix, Hulu...
    So, doors are not closed at all
    Quote Originally Posted by db3.uk View Post
    Yes Silverlight would be good for Sky Go TV in the UK, unless Sky come up with a webOS app.
    I was experimenting with how much I could do on my TouchPad especially impressed with the BBC iPlayer performance.

However I ran into the Silverlight issue with Sky Player as far as Sky Go was concerned and I e-mailed Sky to flag my concern regarding lack of support for users other than iPad/iPhone which has a Sky Go app (and performs quite nicely).

"Dear Mr Davies

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
    unfortunately at this moment in time the only devices that the Sky Go App currently functions on is the Apple Devices. However in the coming months the service will then be available to Android based device. These types of devices will be the only devices that the Sky Go App will be compatible with. This may change in the future however we cannot firm this as we do not have such information. I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Kind regards
    Steven
    Sky Help Centre
    http://www.sky.com"

Don't hold your breath for webOS support for Sky Go, unless that is HP can bring their weight to bear on this matter. Please HP - make it so! For European customers this would be a very nice win!!

Cheers,
    Mark
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    I would *love* Silverlight support for the Touchpad. HTML5 is all great and all, but frankly, it just really isn't there yet. For streaming media options, Silverlight actually does have the best technology (by quite some margin).

Yes, in some utopian world, HTML5 would be all we need. We're just not there yet, and I'd like some Silverlight until we are.
    Touchpad + silverlight = Win
    I would kill for sky go on my TP
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    Why? Safari has a Silverlight plugin. You would think that Microsoft would be happy if everyone used their plugin. It makes them more important. HP and MS are friends, so it should not be that hard. Another workaround could be an alternate browser like Firefox. I have read that Firefox was planning a webos browser a few years back, but it does not seem to have been released. Any news on this?
    Even if Firefox released a webOS browser, Microsoft would have to provide the Silverlight plugin, they own Silverlight.

Keep in mind that even when MS provides a plugin for Firefox, they are providing a plugin for an application that runs on their OS. I doubt they have much love for webOS right now.

However, Moonlight is an open source project that provides compaibility. There might be some traction on this later, but I wouldn't count on it immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    If we had a silver light plugin we could also use MS Office 365. There is a silver light plugin for Linux. I think it is called moon or moonlight...
    Yes but it doesn't work for everything.

The main issue is that silverlight won't run on Linux which webOS is based on. It's more than going to MS and asking for it.
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Silverlight is also one great big ace in Microsoft's sleeve for the upcoming mobile device war.
    Maybe.

Microsoft may abandon Silverlight and .Net, developers worry - ComputerworldUK.com
    Want silverlight plugin...it would be good to have support for these plugins so that it minimizes need for those apps...HP has a clout...they should use to get these plugins working for touchpad...
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Want silverlight plugin...it would be good to have support for these plugins so that it minimizes need for those apps...HP has a clout...they should use to get these plugins working for touchpad...
    Watch Live TV Online | Sky Go
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    I BELIEVE, Netflix uses MS Silverlight, because it is DRM laden and there aren't any VERY well known tools to just click and rip a stream that is supposed to be protected.

OPINION: The reason it's on Safari for Mac OSX, is just to make folks at Apple say, "Really?" Or, Netflix threatened to drop Silverlight if Mac users (hipsters and folks with high disposable incomes) were blocked.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast