Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Playon is awesome for Netflix, Hulu, etc., but KalemSoft's Media Player can't be beat for network streaming. I've used it on my pre for quite a while now.

I can't say how long before KalemSoft's Media Player is released for the Touchpad but it's being beta tested now and I've had the chance to try it out. It plays multiple formats (avi, flv, wmv, mpg, etc.) locally as well as streaming files from any folder you set up to be available from the server app. It will also work with an analog TV tuner and you can play live TV as well as record to your WebOS device. It also offers the option of enabling progressive download so you can let the streamer/transcoder get ahead a bit when streaming HD recordings. I've used it to play HD recordings from my HDPVR to the Touchpad and it is really awesome. All I can say (in my best HP imitation) is that it will be available SOON!
    So does this stream from your server over the internet as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    So does this stream from your server over the internet as well?
    Yes, Kalemsoft Media Player can stream over the internet using port forwarding. Just open the port on your router.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You speak of band aid yet you just posted a novel on how to stream content to the TouchPad that maybe a small fraction of TouchPad users will try, never mind figure out?

Google AirVideo and call it a day.
    Yes, but the band-aid covers a wound that was not inflicted by HP. No one that I know of makes a tablet that has unlimited data storage. Which is what people will need if they keep adding files to their video libraries like I'm doing. Also no tablet that I know of plays videos in every format "out the box" so I would give leeway to anyone who uses 3rd party solutions for that. However, I can't give leeway to a manufacturer who refuses to add a plugin to their tablet because of ideology which forces their users to download 3rd party solutions for something that every other tablet has built into it.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Well, applications that are built for a specific product are typically designed with custom layouts and UI's that enhance the ease of use. A really fantastic example is the Nintendo Wii and it's Netflix app. If you access the netflix.com website on the Wii, it's not particularly easy to use, especially on an old school CRT. If you launch the Netflix app on the wii; however, you get an entirely new UI and layout that works SOOOO much better. I can't emphasize enough how much better Netflix looks/works through the app vs the normal website.

That's what apps do. They improve user experience. Check out Netflix on the Wii as an example. Skip to 1:45 to see how Netflix looks on the Wii, and how the app has been customized to work with the Wii remote interface.

I see the advantage in having a custom built app for media streamers but not for all sites. Even then there will be some media sites that are not allowed to have custom apps for legal or "religious" reasons. Not having flash is a definite minus in my book. Then again a $600 tablet not having anything that my $600 laptop has (besides the keyboard) is also a definite minus in my book.
    i record shows on my windows 7 media center. any easy way to stream those to TP? (I know the w7 media center files are in a proprietary msft format making it touch to transcode, stream etc).
    zediva.com for streaming movie rentals works very well
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You guys should really be petitioning Air Video to develop something for the TouchPad. They have the best solution for iOS in regards to streaming content from a computer/NAS to the iPhone/iPad.

About Air Video
    Air Video looks promising and I'd love some love coming our way and webOS support. Did they sound responsive and wonder how complicated it would be to port their software to work on webOS? Thanks for the links and reference, Sorli...
    If the Kalemsoft Player works just as well as Air Video player then I'll be happy.
    Thanx!!...I decided to try playon but didnt know how to access it on my touchpad until I read your post. I am not sure how to access my own video files thru it though.
    I just need something that plays all bittorented formats (xvid/divx/mkv) and I will pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    ...snip Then again a $600 tablet not having anything that my $600 laptop has (besides the keyboard) is also a definite minus in my book.
    Your book seems subjective. I take it your $600 laptop can't do video out?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Your book seems subjective. I take it your $600 laptop can't do video out?
    Yes it can and yes my book is subjective (that's why its my book and no one else's ). I use my laptop and PC for browsing the full internet, checking my email, playing music, watching movies, casual gaming, and document viewing/editing. Touchpad does all of that (if you use Google Docs for editing, which I don't like). Problem is that the storage is very limited. I need at least 500gb of onboard storage for all of my media and have room for some growth. The only tablet that comes close to that is the Archos 70 250gb, which I have, but it's Android 2.x with limited support and no intent by the manufacturer to update the OS. So I got the Touchpad and set up a server for the data. Touchpad comes with an additional free 50gb of cloud storage (so I have 82gb total) but I need so much more.
    Yes it can and yes my book is subjective (that's why its my book and no one else's ). I use my laptop and PC for browsing the full internet, checking my email, playing music, watching movies, casual gaming, and document viewing/editing. Touchpad does all of that (if you use Google Docs for editing, which I don't like). Problem is that the storage is very limited. I need at least 500gb of onboard storage for all of my media and have room for some growth. The only tablet that comes close to that is the Archos 70 250gb, which I have, but it's Android 2.x with limited support and no intent by the manufacturer to update the OS. So I got the Touchpad and set up a server for the data. Touchpad comes with an additional free 50gb of cloud storage (so I have 82gb total) but I need so much more.
    It would seem your 600 flash tablet is doing less and less than your laptop:

I agree with ag95keri. Until it gets full document editing it won't fully replace my laptop. Google Docs just won't cut it for me. I tried it on the Touchpad and I didn't like it one bit. Truth is I don't really like or use it on my laptop either. My Android tablet has document editing. Paid $15 dollars for the feature. It works great but the rest of the experience has me running for my Touchpad or laptop for salvation. The Touchpad is the closes thing to replacing the laptop but without document editing it falls short. ,,,snip
    Flash is handy to have, but when you have vendors doing this:
    CNN starts streaming 24 hours of 'news' online and on your iPhone
    it becomes less and less important, but not entirely unnecessary.

Good luck with the media setup, I'm sure an easier solution will be available soon. I remember in the old days of this forum people would band toghether to pay developers to add a feature, like when the Treo 600 did not have A2DP. Maybe something like that can be done again.

What about Tversity? I thought I read a thread hear that people were using that to stream their vids.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/18/2011 at 07:21 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    It would seem your 600 flash tablet is doing less and less than your laptop:

Flash is handy to have, but when you have vendors doing this:
    CNN starts streaming 24 hours of 'news' online and on your iPhone
    it becomes less and less important, but not entirely unnecessary.

Good luck with the media setup, I'm sure an easier solution will be available soon. I remember in the old days of this forum people would band toghether to pay developers to add a feature, like when the Treo 600 did not have A2DP. Maybe something like that can be done again.

What about Tversity? I thought I read a thread hear that people were using that to stream their vids.
    Flash is big. I look at iOS users trying to dismiss it's effect on the 'net as a repeat of history. Linux did not have flash for a long time and Linux users complained that they didn't need flash because it was too buggy or it was proprietary, just like iOS users. We were just making up excuses for not being able to do what millions of Windows users were doing, browsing the whole Internet. We were living in denial and I feel that iOS users are doing the same. If flash was not that important there wouldn't be hundreds of website apps in the iOS app store offering the functionality lost by not having it. Even so you still can't make an app to replace every flash website and you can't expect every flash site to convert to html5. Just add the plugin and get it over with. It will be one less thing your competitors complain about. Soap box over...

The Touchpad is doing just about everything my laptop does for me. It just doesn't have the storage capacity. Neither does the iPad so I'm stuck. I also don't want to spend weeks converting videos. I understand that after the update comes out some developers will release better media solutions for the Touchpad. Right now Playon is it for me. I did not try Tversity because there is no trial period with it. I would have to buy it to see if it fits my needs and I did not want to take the chance. Playon offered a trial version.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for wishing me luck!
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I've use playon before and think the TP may be my reason for using it with my HTPC and home network.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I've use playon before and think the TP may be my reason for using it with my HTPC and home network.
    Playon is a great app, love streaming all my old avis, .TP, .Ts captures without conversion but for some reason it won't stream netflix. I've logged in on my PC and the test worked fine. Amazon VOD works well but I get account inactive when I try netflix. Thanks for any and all input.
    I had two problems with Playon - One was a problem getting Silverlight installed correctly and the other was some error that I found out meant I needed a patch - available for download on Playon's website.

Only other suggestion is to double check your login in the Playon Channels settings.

?
  18.    #38  
    Well one month is a whole lifetime. Shortly after I posted my trials and tribulations here, KalemSoft Media Player became available in the App Catalog. It cost $7 but it includes a streaming server and the ability to play every file format in my library. I decided to go with it instead of Playon. I also bought an app called Video Flood HD which streams video podcast and TV shows from the Internet, eliminating my need for Hulu. I found out about a website called Crackle (Crackle - Watch Movies Online, Free TV Shows, & Original Online Series) from another thread. You can watch free movies directly from the site on the Touchpad (having Flash is a god-send). Their selection is pretty good. The addition of Crackle and the HP Movie Store eliminates my need for Netflix (at least on the Touchpad). I also subscribe to Last.FM for listening to music. The Last.FM app on the Touchpad is the best app I've seen. The eye candy on it is great! I also use TuneIn Radio and iheartradio. Both apps are free and look pretty good on the Touchpad's screen. I use 7digital MP3 to purchase music. My Touchpad has completely taken over has my portable music device. I don't use my iPod or my Pre for music anymore. I'm even able to connect the Touchpad to my truck's stereo via bluetooth. The stereo has a remote and I can play, pause, and change songs on the Touchpad with it. The large cover interface for the Touchpad's music player makes it less dangerous to change songs on it directly while driving also.

I recommend that new users install Preware on their Touchpad. In addition to giving you patches that speed up the Touchpad, there is a Linux application in Preware that increases the volume on the Touchpad (which is essentially a linux computer).

I would still like to have the ability to stream content from my Touchpad to one of my TVs. I have resisted renting movies from the HP MovieStore because I can't put them on the big screen. I will probably buy a movie on my next trip out of town but for now I only rent them from Comcast.

Overall I am impressed with multimedia on my Touchpad. Now if I get document editing, zip/unzip support, and some more games (especially a RTS game similar to Command and Conquer or StarCraft) my desktop will just gather dust in the corner of my kitchen. My laptop has already been replaced.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12