Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm very impressed that HP is going to the 1.5ghz processor for the 4g processor in the 4G Touchpad. This tells me that HP is serious about updating the specs on their devices going forward. When the Touchpad was released/designed, I'm sure that the 1.5ghz was not yet available for shipping, so they went with the 1.2. Now that Qualcomm has enough 1.5ghz available, and they went ahead to add it. I don't think that any shipping tablet or phone currently on the market has a 1.5ghz processor, so I'm glad to see that. A 25% processor speed bump is going to make a noticeable difference, and because it is not an overclock, it should have the same battery life. Next year we will probably get a quadcore, with CPU internal improvements and probably a doubling of GPU performance.
    It won't help the random reboots, but it will help general performance.
    I see pandas.
    I'm just waiting for the overclock for wifi models. lol
    1.2 GHz is also pretty freaking fast for a tablet .............................
    That it is. It's still fun to tweak things though.
    But this is vintage HP. Release a product. A few months later, release a bumped up product. Rinse and repeat.

The down side to this is there is ALWAYS something better coming down the pike. However, it also means we don't have to wait an entire year to get better specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    But this is vintage HP. Release a product. A few months later, release a bumped up product. Rinse and repeat.

The down side to this is there is ALWAYS something better coming down the pike. However, it also means we don't have to wait an entire year to get better specs.
    In the time it took you to post that...65,234,875 new Android devices were released.

Seriously though, if people cant see that HP is serious about webOS and it's future, then there's no hope for them.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Yeah, if people are gonna cry about spec bumps every few months then tjey're lost causes. There will be no respite for them anywhere.
    The leading tablet in the market iPad 2 has a 1.0 Ghz Processor if I'm not mistaken. This means HP has the lead by 50% or .5 ghz in their processing speed. This is a big deal.
    Well, they can have a faster processor, but the OS will still need performance improvements. Overclocking your Pre- definitely made it faster, but compared to other phones running natively at 1GHz, apps still felt slower due to software problems, such as no hardware-accelerated css transforms on 1.4.5.

We'll have to see what kind of difference that OTA update they'll release in "around 10 days" will do. We're already seeing people here in the forum speeding up their Touchpads, not by overclocking but by modifying the software.
    k4ever likes this.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Yeah, if people are gonna cry about spec bumps every few months then tjey're lost causes. There will be no respite for them anywhere.
    HP is damned if they do, damned if they don't. That has been the attitude around here.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    If you want 12-16month refreshes... you're vested in the wrong company.

the "fruit" might be sweeter on the other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    When the Touchpad was released/designed, I'm sure that the 1.5ghz was not yet available for shipping... and because it is not an overclock, it should have the same battery life.
    It's the exact same processor, only the max speed is set to 1.5ghz instead of 1.2ghz. They will need to increase the voltage for the higher frequencies. This consumes more battery life.

The original Touchpad is underclocked, for battery life, just like the original Pre and Pre+ were... The 4g TP will have significantly lower battery life when using the cell radio and just a bit less batt when on wifi.

Check out the product brief. http://www.qualcomm.com/documents/fi...duct-brief.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    It's the exact same processor, only the max speed is set to 1.5ghz instead of 1.2ghz. They will need to increase the voltage for the higher frequencies. This consumes more battery life.

The original Touchpad is underclocked, for battery life, just like the original Pre and Pre+ were... The 4g TP will have significantly lower battery life when using the cell radio and just a bit less batt when on wifi.

Check out the product brief. http://www.qualcomm.com/documents/fi...duct-brief.pdf
    That's what I thought, the frequency was reset
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Does this open up the possibilities of custom kernels and Govnah controllable CPU frequencies ipto 1,5 GHz for the current Wifi only Touchpads?
    Last edited by spud101; 07/13/2011 at 06:26 AM.
    i would hope so... i was thinking what would be the downsides of why they couldn't just come out with an update for everyone? False advertising? I dunno. Already prepackaged devices?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"

I believe this to be correct as well, however, I think the 25% CPU speed bump was needed for the ATT HSDPA+ radio and GPS, which will certainly reqire some background processing on a consistent basis, along with extra battery consumption.

On the other hand, I believe that battery life may not see much of a hit, if they have, indeed, been spending their time since may on optimizing the OS (they indicated that they werent done with WebOS 3, but had to freeze it n May for shipment to the tablet manufacturer, in order to meet release dates as planned), as they seem to be saying.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

It depends on usage really. I read somewhere that the Touchpad uses the same frequency scaling as the Pre 2 (scaling down to 600MHz instead of 300MHz) to save battery life, so depending on how you use the Touchpad you might not see much difference.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I read somewhere that the Touchpad uses the same frequency scaling as the Pre 2 (scaling down to 600MHz instead of 300MHz) to save battery life, so depending on how you use the Touchpad you might not see much difference.Forums[/i]
    TP scales from 192mhz-1.188ghz. The cel radio consumes a lot of power. If you keep it on it will drain noticeably faster. Just put your phone on wifi for a few hours and compare it to a few hours on the cel network.
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 07/13/2011 at 10:59 PM.
    I'm not complaining about the bump in the processor speed but to me, I'd rather have a streamlined OS that is quick and responsive. Don't really care what spec the processor is so long as it works great for me.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    RoverNole likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast