Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    The leading tablet in the market iPad 2 has a 1.0 Ghz Processor if I'm not mistaken. This means HP has the lead by 50% or .5 ghz in their processing speed. This is a big deal.
    Except that you can't directly compare CPU performance between the two CPU's with two different cores --- just by MHz. A dual core 1.2 GHz Snapdragon will have the same DMIPS as a dual core 1 GHz Cortex A9.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Except that you can't directly compare CPU performance between the two CPU's with two different cores --- just by MHz. A dual core 1.2 GHz Snapdragon will have the same DMIPS as a dual core 1 GHz Cortex A9.
    But you just know that if the situations were reversed, everyone and their grandma would be chastising HP for having .2GHz less than the iPad in their tablet and it would be another reason HP fails at life. =P
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    But you just know that if the situations were reversed, everyone and their grandma would be chastising HP for having .2GHz less than the iPad in their tablet and it would be another reason HP fails at life. =P
    I would prefer HP to highlight the fact that these two chips have the same DMIPS.

Because right now, bloggers around the world are trashing WebOS as too slow. How can WebOS be so slow with a CPU that is 20% faster than the 1 GHz ipad/honeycomb/playbook?

Well, the answer is that WebOS' speed is not super slow because they all have the same DMIPS ratings. WebOS is a little bit slow because it doesn't have certain things hardware accelerated.
    ZOMG!!! HP is gonna release hardware updates every month! This is going to be awesome, yeah!!!!

Back to reality now. HP is using the MSM8660 chipset which is just a APQ8060 with a data radio and an integrated GPS, they're just going to run it at 1.5GHz instead of 1.2GHz on the 4G version. HP just wants to give people who purchase the 4G version a little something extra for the $130 they're going to spend on what probably amounts to $25 in parts.

The profit margins on the 4G versions of the TouchPad are going to be WAY higher than on the Wifi only versions. It's just a little something to entice a 4G purchase. A "why not?" if you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    The leading tablet in the market iPad 2 has a 1.0 Ghz Processor if I'm not mistaken. This means HP has the lead by 50% or .5 ghz in their processing speed. This is a big deal.
    It will be huge only if it translates to more units sold. The bottom line is to make a profit. So far specs alone has not done it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    TP scales from 192mhz-1.88ghz.
    Where did the 1.88 come from? I thought the current kernel only scaled to 1.2
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Processor speed in the grand scheme of things does not matter. Millions of people buy the iPad 2 because of the software experience (and to an extent marketing). If HP can get WebOS to not run like a dog at times, people will forget the processor quickly.
    its about time somebody threw some raw power at webOS!!..keep it coming hp you can be the first to 2ghz!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Where did the 1.88 come from? I thought the current kernel only scaled to 1.2
    Go lynch an HP exec for your missing .12 ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Processor speed in the grand scheme of things does not matter. Millions of people buy the iPad 2 because of the software experience (and to an extent marketing). If HP can get WebOS to not run like a dog at times, people will forget the processor quickly.
    A faster processor makes things run faster and smoother so maybe HP is on to something...
    Go lynch an HP exec for your missing .12 ghz
    *** are you talking about? You said TP scales to 1.88 and I said I thought the current kernel max is 1.2
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    That it is. It's still fun to tweak things though.
    its almost as fast as my laptop. Lol.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The problem right now is that HP gets the worse of both worlds.

Bloggers are trashing the WebOS on Touchpad as super slow, yet it is running on a super fast CPU. But they are wrong to assume that the 1.2 GHz Snapdragon is 20% faster than a 1 GHz Cortex A9. In fact they have the same DMIPS ratings.
    *** are you talking about? You said TP scales to 1.88 and I said I thought the current kernel max is 1.2
    Oops *1.188*
    People will have something else to complain about. Even it ran as smooth as a baby's bottom reviewers would throw the app count at you. If it had the same app count reviewers would throw the extra weight at you. Bottom line is that you can't win if you are constantly in someone else's shadow. I would love for webOS to be more stable. Faster would be nice, but right now it runs fast enough for me. Those don't matter in the grand scheme of things. What matters is how the Touchpad differentiates itself from the iPad. The answer to the "why would I buy this over the iPad?" question. Also, advertising. The Droid was not light years better than the iPhone or the Pre but Verizon's advertisement made you want one just as Apple's adds make you think the iPhone/iPad is infallible.

That said I'm eager to know if we might get a processor speed bump in the OTA update. If the 4G Touchpad can handle the extra speed without melting into goo, why wouldn't the wifi version be able to? Did HP put some extra heat dispersion voodoo into the 4G Touchpad?
    Oops *1.188*
    Ahhh, you had me thinking I missed something

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Ahhh, you had me thinking I missed something

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Darn, you had my head spinning! Now I got to come back to Earth
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12