Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so Ive been to my local Best Buy 3 times and each time ended up showcasing the touchpad vs. galaxy tab vs. ipad to several of their customers.

So heres the rundown on what HP needs to do to get the retail experience where it should be.

1. Better Security devices

The security restraints are WAY too short. you can barely pick it up before its taught and you cant move the device around well. The galaxy tab has the same issues. The ipad, though, has plenty of slack and you can pick it up and use it with ease.

2. Use touchstones on displays

of the 5 touchpads on display at my local best buy....4 were not working. Upon investigation....due to being displays the usb cable end was either disconnected, easily falling out or bent. I made sure all 4 were connected and then forcefully pushed on the usb cable end and ended up having to bend 2 of them to make connection to provide power.

This would easily be solved with using touchstones on displays. Removes a cable, showcases wireless charging and will keep displays from being dead and inoperable.

3. Get rid of the dumb demo app

And really, this is easily done.

The main problem is at my local best buy, the security "eggs" on the back of the device were put on the wrong way. So all the touchpads sit on display in portrait mode. But as you know, the demo loop plays in landscape. This leaves them looking stupid on display, all sideways.

Heres a grand idea. In point #2 I noted they should use touchstones. And what does a touchstone do? It plays exhibition.

So, make the "demo" just an exhibition slideshow. When its sitting on the touchstone, it plays the demo slides. When you pick it up, its ready to use. No demo to minimize. No demo to freeze up the tablet.

Simple.

#4. Demo apps.

Why is the tablet devoid of any apps for people to try? Both the galaxy tab and ipad have games and other apps for the customer to try. The touchpad is blank.

At a minimum you should have installed the top 20 apps on it.

Overall:

Theyre really close to being able to REALLY grab customers attention over the ipad and the tab, but the presentation just isnt there. These 4 fixes above would solve nearly every problem when people are using the touchpad for the first time.

Customers view:

I mentioned in the beginning I showed several people all 3. Heres some important notes from customers themselves....

1) not a single one mentioned a problem with the screens. They thought all of them were easy to see, crips and useable.

2) not a single one talked about thickness or weight even after picking them all up to feel them

3) the lack of apps was not a major concern for anyone. They did all mention that "usable apps" are more important than "number of apps".

4) No one thought the touchpad was "laggy" compared to the others. Sure they noticed some of the apps took longer to load sometimes, but after explaining how a cloud connected device works. They had zero issue with load times.

5) They did want accessories for it. Which of course, none are available at retail yet.

6) They loved the text messaging forwarding from their phone. They were all disappointed there wasnt a phone option for that yet.

7) they love just type

8) they loved synergy and how it connected them to nearly all of their services they need and use.

Hope you enjoyed my comprehensive analysis. Like or thank this if you enjoyed the read!
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    The display at my local Best Buy was a disappointment too and I also hate that stupid security thing. The Touchstone would be a cool addition but that would mean more security cords, and plus, with the big egg shaped thing on the back of the TP, it wouldn't sit on it. The cables on the one I saw were also too short, I agree. And the holder also only worked in portrait mode. I thought it would have been a good move to put the veer next to it so you knew the devices went together. I just thought the whole two sided stand alone display was too much for just one TouchPad. Overall, crappy display.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    The display at my local Best Buy was a disappointment too and I also hate that stupid security thing. The Touchstone would be a cool addition but that would mean more security cords, and plus, with the big egg shaped thing on the back of the TP, it wouldn't sit on it. The cables on the one I saw were also too short, I agree. And the holder also only worked in portrait mode. I thought it would have been a good move to put the veer next to it so you knew the devices went together. I just thought the whole two sided stand alone display was too much for just one TouchPad. Overall, crappy display.
    they CAN use other security devices. All the laptops and ipads have very small and outta the way security devices. These could be used at the TOP edge or the top left corner on the touchpad and all it to use the touchstone just fine.

they could also make a special touchstone for displays that the supporting leg could be screwed into the display table or secured some other way. this would remove the security needed for the touchstone. I mean, if youre gonna have them in 1100+ best buys (and tens of thousands of other stores) and have multiples on display, its worth designing a secured version of the touchstone.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Local BB (Houston Galleria).

General display Issue - lousy wifi provisioning: If they're trying to sell tablets (this even affect the iPad2's ... omg!), slow internet access means a bad first experience all the way round.

What IS with that OSTRICH egg on the back of these things? I wonder if any of the "Expert Reviews" had to contend with that garbage! How do you tell the weight and general "feel" of things if you have a grapefruit-sized tumor sticking out the back of the darn things!

+10 on the touchstones... especially for the Veer. TPs AND solo Veer at the BB were dead due to lack of power.

As posted elsewhere... the staff were exhibiting what we used to call NAFI - No Ambition, F-all Interest when it came to all mobile things HP. Couldn't hook the mangetic connector to charge the Veer ("O, that's pretty cool..."), couldn't ell me a darn thing about the TouchPad beyond "there is a 16GB and a 32GB"). I really don't know what to do, except maybe hold a national competition for floor sales folk.. like a week-long all expenses paid trip to someplace nie (NO< I am not a closet BB sales dude!).

Thanks for the post

russ
    there's an Official: Rate your BestBuy thread around here somehow, maybe we should revive it and start posting store addresses
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Here's the link and I'm about to rate mine.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    there's an Official: Rate your BestBuy thread around here somehow, maybe we should revive it and start posting store addresses
    well, I just frequent best buy near me. I dont ever shop at walmart, etc.

Im sure the same points apply to pretty much all retail locations.
    @agentmock

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Here's the link and I'm about to rate mine.
    and also, this is not truly a best buy issue. All the issues I talked about are HP issues. Theyre the ones who came up with the display setup.
    @agentmock

Yes true enough, as I may not have been entirely clear in the other thread, between BestBuy and FutureShop....nearly identical 'displays' of a flat screen tv with a video of the TouchPad, no demos in either store. Not impressive by any means for the average Joe walking in the store. Considering there were plenty of other tablet demo models to actually play around with.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10.    #10  
    bump

just because the op wrote such a great article
    @agentmock

First off, great post. Valid points, and easy to implement. The only problem I see (though don't necessarily agree with) is that a demo app is a necessity. People who have never used webOS will pick up a TP and not know what to do with it. Then they just get frustrated and will have negative feedback, which is no bueno.

I'd much rather not have a demo app, but lets face it, MOST consumers are stupid.
    a little security humor.....Best buy should give you the option to lock yourself in a secure room with all three brand tablets and let you hash it out with them...full contact......lol

nice thread fastback....hope HP is listening
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by strykr View Post
    First off, great post. Valid points, and easy to implement. The only problem I see (though don't necessarily agree with) is that a demo app is a necessity. People who have never used webOS will pick up a TP and not know what to do with it. Then they just get frustrated and will have negative feedback, which is no bueno.

I'd much rather not have a demo app, but lets face it, MOST consumers are stupid.
    I understand the point....but neither the tab nor the ipad have demo loops running to tell you how to use it.

tab runs just like a video loop (not some lame looking demo app like they have on the touchpad) and the ipad doesnt usually have anything running on it. just has a ton of their most popular apps preloaded for easy touch and use
    @agentmock

Wow great ideas 65fastback, if we could get some of you fan-boys working for HP marketing on this launch...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hpsalesguy View Post
    Wow great ideas 65fastback, if we could get some of you fan-boys working for HP marketing on this launch...
    I worked in retail for 6+ years and I have a Business Management degree.

So I would be GLAD to work on their marketing team for sure.
    @agentmock

Agree with everything that has been said about BB, Walmart is worse! NOBODY there knows anything about the Touchpad. Good chance its not even out on display but in a locked cabinet. No wifi connection. The I-pad usually has a nice display though....
    When I went to Best Buy to try the Touchpad, there was a guy sitting by the Galaxy Tablets from samsung. A nice idea in general, but the guy did not know what he was doing. That was worse than just the lone Touchpad sitting there on display.
    I wonder what it would cost HP to implement those changes. I bet its more than they're willing to spend on this issue, after all did any of those customers mention display problems (without you pointing them out)?

If anything at all, they'll probably only implement changes like these for the display of the next generation TouchPad. But, again, that's only if they care and these problems are brought to their attention.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    I wonder what it would cost HP to implement those changes. I bet its more than they're willing to spend on this issue, after all did any of those customers mention display problems (without you pointing them out)?
    Every single person I showed it to mentioned most if not all these issues.

From tapping at dead screens seeing if they could turn the device on, to "show me some apps" to "well, they dont really make it easy to pick it up now do they?".
    @agentmock

Most of this stuff *should* be common sense. The people that work at these places must purchase things...or at least go shopping and know what kind of displays grab their attention. I guess they probably just couldn't care less. I'm sure it's not a very good job to work in retail.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast