Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    "HOW SLOW IS IIIIIIT??"

It is so slow that it can't even answer a skype call!

I was out making dinner watching a full episode of NBC Nightly News via their Flash website. Since there isn't a video Podcast app in the market that works, I'm forced through the laborious process of loading the page, finding the latest broadcast, opening Flash, patiently attempting to draaag the volume slider to 100%, and then hitting the fullscreen button 20 times before the show plays.

Anyhoo, I've got Brian Williams soothing me with tonight's news when the video stops and the Skype app launches. A green phone icon pops up on screen and pulses. And pulses. And pulses. After about 30 seconds or so, the app quits. Apparenlty a friend of mine tried calling, but the TouchPad was too slow to answer. Skype quits and it kicks back to the browser. Only, the browser sits and pulses for another minute. Eventually it loads the page and... starts the video again from the beginning, non-fullscreen! AAARRRGH!

Seriously, if anybody at HP reads these forums, I'm getting pretty fed up with my $600 paperweight. I'm having flashbacks to my original Pre and its awful lack of memory and CPU. I figured that a year later, with a multibillion dollar like HP behind it, that at the very least they'd have the multitasking woes licked. Instead it's more of the same sluggish crap.

I take my TouchPad to work every day and demo it to people. And every day it's the same thing - Wait the 15 to 30 seconds after unlocking for the OS to catch its breath, then try to show them the joys of multitasking and Flash playback. But I consistently get the grey wheel of death and people look at me like I'm crazy for not getting an iPad or Honeycomb tablet. And I'm starting to agree with them.

HP, you have maybe 30 days left to come out with a super patch for your OS before I sell this thing and become one of the unwashed masses. $600 is a lot of money, especially when I can sideload Android onto a $199 Nook color and have a better experience.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    The problem is flash and not your TouchPad. They shouldn't have included it because Flash is junk. This isn't a technology problem it's a Flash problem.
    threed61#WN and estebancam like this.
    Skype is one of the things messed up on the touchpad right now. Ive had mine since july 1 and havent had any problems with performance. Its rebooted randomly three times while browsing with flash but other than that its been awesome. Ive shown it to my android ****** friends and theyve been blown away by it. Went into best buy today and messed around with the thrive and hated it. To each his own I suppose.
    Or maybe his connection is bad. I dunno. All I know is that mine has been playing flash content a lot better than I thought it would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    The problem is flash and not your TouchPad. They shouldn't have included it because Flash is junk. This isn't a technology problem it's a Flash problem.
    Agreed, to clarify it just browser non-flash normal website and check what is going on when make a MO or MT skype call...
    I think the problem is watching NBC Nightly News - I would start there. ;-)
    Last edited by Midway99; 07/13/2011 at 04:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Jeez, you guys are brutal!

Everything I said is 100% accurate. I will do my best to recreate the issue tonight and make a video. But don't flame me if I don't get back for a couple of days because I already have plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post

Everything I said is 100% accurate. I will do my best to recreate the issue tonight and make a video. But don't flame me if I don't get back for a couple of days because I already have plans.
    You might want to see if anyone near you (same city) would be willing to meet and show their Touchpad performance - perhaps you DO have a lemon.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

We need more information and the tone of your post is quite poor. You didn't come in here to get help, you came in to rant and rave about something that hasn't been a widely reported complaint and you're using flash which sucks. If you want help and not just to rant ask for it.
    paint slanger likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Talk about a community of help here; someone comes to complain about issues and it's considered rhetorical here. "I don't have the issue so you must be lying."
    It's judge based on the tone of the post.

Please do, I'd like to see it. Mine screams! But I've only used skype once to test it out. Flash video runs great, etc. Please post up a video.

OTA is coming soon too! I have faith it's got a lot of updates. Remember they had to finish the first version of webos3 early to get it on the production devices. Now they can push out fresh updates at will, all without BS carrier delays!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Flash definitely can be an issue on certain sites. But if you are looking for a good video podcast application, check out Video Flood HD. I just downloaded it yesterday and have been very impressed. Just go to News, NBC Nightly News, and there you go.. a nice streaming (non-Flash) version.
    "HOW SLOW IS IIIIIIT??"

I take my TouchPad to work every day and demo it to people. And every day it's the same thing - Wait the 15 to 30 seconds after unlocking for the OS to catch its breath, then try to show them the joys of multitasking and Flash playback. But I consistently get the grey wheel of death and people look at me like I'm crazy for not getting an iPad or Honeycomb tablet. And I'm starting to agree with them.

If you are having to wait 15-30 seconds for the touchpad to operate correctly after unlocking, you have a defective unit. Mine is running buttery smooth.
    etx likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    We need more information and the tone of your post is quite poor. You didn't come in here to get help, you came in to rant and rave about something that hasn't been a widely reported complaint and you're using flash which sucks. If you want help and not just to rant ask for it.
    You're right, I came in to rant and not ask for help. The description of the forum is "Discuss the HP TouchPad at the #1 HP webOS Community", so that's what I'm doing - discussing. I'm ranting about my slow $600 tablet that I've bought on faith and faith alone that the platform will improve, when I can get more features and apps on any number of competing tablets out there. So yes, my tone is bitter. And my posts will continue to be complaints and bitter in nature when I feel it's appropriate. They won't be insulting towards members and they won't assume somebody is lying just because it sounds good. But my posts will always be more than just one-sided rants, they will be topics open to discussion, which is the point of this board.

Maybe I did get a lemon, maybe my woes are specific to something on my TouchPad. If that turns out to be the case than A) I will be sure to let everybody know and B) This discussion forum will have led me to the right path of resolution and done its job.
    Someone needs to direct him to this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...g-so-fast.html
    kayphoonstar and codecrumb like this.
    I occasionally have issues with my Touch Pad behaving slowly as well. I have generally found that a reboot will solve this problem for me. Also on the subject of the Nook Color. I had one and while you can run gingerbread on it you are essentially just carrying around a large phone and it is certainly not a better tablet experience with Gingerbread. Performance with Honeycomb on that thing is a joke, if you are unhappy with your TouchPad that is fine but believe me if you you think your Touch Pad is a bad experience you don't want the Nook.
    eharris560 likes this.
    You're right, I came in to rant and not ask for help. The description of the forum is "Discuss the HP TouchPad at the #1 HP webOS Community", so that's what I'm doing - discussing. I'm ranting about my slow $600 tablet that I've bought on faith and faith alone that the platform will improve, when I can get more features and apps on any number of competing tablets out there. So yes, my tone is bitter. And my posts will continue to be complaints and bitter in nature when I feel it's appropriate. They won't be insulting towards members and they won't assume somebody is lying just because it sounds good. But my posts will always be more than just one-sided rants, they will be topics open to discussion, which is the point of this board.

Maybe I did get a lemon, maybe my woes are specific to something on my TouchPad. If that turns out to be the case than A) I will be sure to let everybody know and B) This discussion forum will have led me to the right path of resolution and done its job.
    Did you install preware? and some patches? I did and my touchpad is very fast, I do not waiting to open its so fast.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw a Samsung galaxy S2 brand new phone being demoed on a youtube video and it too was hanging on flash, and thats on the brand new, state of the art, android phone. Could be a slow internet connection which means it would constantly need to buffer, and take a long time to buffer, or it could be a problem with Flash itself. Try using it on a faster wireless network and see if there is a difference.
    The disparity could simply be how one uses their device; not everyone uses a device the same way. For example: his case was an incoming call while playing a Flash video fullscreen.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/13/2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Quoted text deleted
    Talk about the Touchpad, not each other please.

<<Thread cleaned twice>>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast