Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
  1.    #1  
    So glad DeWitt is on our side.
    He sounds impressive for his track record of creating successful tech businesses, passionate and committed, no wonder the channel likes him and he was able to boost division sales.

He's the first guy to make the argument for the fatter width of the TouchPad as a positive . He says it is needed to inductively charge on the Touchstone and for TTS.

check it out on Engadget, I'm going to read the interview again.

edit: he has committed to movie store being available on the 17th

edit2: the 17th was consciously picked as launch as it is the start of back-to-school selling season

edit 3: movie store and a few other apps out by the 17th (kindle?) and OTA by the end of the month

edit 4: And did I mention he made himself available to the press for a number of interviews and answered questions with dates? Refreshing change of pace from vagueness and secrecy.

engadget.com/2011/07/12/the-engadget-interview-hps-stephen-dewitt/
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/12/2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Just made the link clickable :-)

The Engadget Interview: HP's Stephen DeWitt -- Engadget
  3.    #3  
    <staff edit>

Plastic is fine and it goes inside a form fitting charging case with a silky smooth nicely grippable back, I haven't had to take it out since I got it. Case can be found on Amazon for $34+ (tried to replace charger for macbook one time as I forgot it at home and they wanted $100, electronics sector makes money on accessories, that is their game)
    Think of the extra 3 oz of weight as your muscle exercise for the day on top of the kettle bells you are surely swinging to stave off old age.

All the glass tablets are fingertip magnets, if you don't want grease use a mechanical instrument instead of your own flesh and blood skin with its constantly shedding cell matter

Screen brightness is fine, I have mine set to 50%. Big issue is glare for these tablets, a skin will have to fix it.

Rear camera?? On a big tablet? Are we back to the early 1900's before small cameras existed? Not a deal breaker.

He addressed performance issues a number of times, says he is committed to a number of OTA updates.

Look, you can believe him or not but something about this guy who created and sold several multi-million dollar tech businesses says he knows how to deliver. What have you created lately?

ps forgot to mention he increased his division at HP by 15%. And in a recession.

This is the best news I've heard in awhile besides the fact that homebrew and webos internals still kicks ***. I'm putting away my receipt for the TouchPad and waiting for the OTAs.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/13/2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: quote removed - original post deleted for trolling
    Great responds to the apple *******!!!!!!!. We knew it did not have a rear camera since day one. That why you have a phone. Upload it to Facebook and it is on the Touchpad. Maybe touch to sharing will transfer it. Rear camera is not a issue. I think a camera app is coming tho.
    bluenote and feltmoney like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Plastic is fine
    You mean the fingerprint magnet that back is?

and it goes inside a form fitting charging case with a silky smooth back, I haven't had to take it out since I got it. Case can be found on Amazon for $66 (tried to replace charger for macbook one time as I forgot it at home and they wanted $100, electronics sector makes money on accessories, that is their game)
    So I need to expend a $66 on top of at least $500 in other to not be using a tablet with a nasty amount of fingerprints?

all the glass tablets are fingertip magnets, if you don't want grease use a mechanical instrument instead of your own flesh and blood skin with its constantly shedding cell matter
    The Touchpad lacks oleophobic coating...

Screen is fine, I have mine set to 50%. Big issue is glare for these tablets, a skin will have to fix it.
    Too dim for outdoor use. The thing is basely a mirror.

Rear camera?? On a big tablet? Are we back to the early 1900's before small cameras existed? Not a deal breaker.
    Sorry, I rather have it than not (There's no possible way it is a disadvantage). Also, it's a nice addition with videocalls.

He addressed performance issues a number of times, says he is committed to a number of OTA updates.
    He just said the OTA updates were coming, but did not comment on the performance issues.

Look, you can believe him or not but something about this guy who created and sold several multi-million dollar tech businesses says he knows how to deliver. What have you created lately?
    Just like the Kin team was surely made of people who knew what to do ^^'
    Last edited by augustofretes; 07/13/2011 at 02:21 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    YSo I need to expend a $66 ...'
    No, you don't need to spend anything. You can even go to the Dollar store and buy yourself a tablet and #2 pencil. The fact that you are spending time here complaining like this instead of elsewhere with your shiny happy gadget suggests to me that you believe the TouchPad has a lot of merit, enough so that you are spending your time trying to tear it down.

ps DeWitt is a Cubs fan. They have heart.
    sherwin892, akshunj and nyallj like this.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I like DeWitt's answers. I think he focused on a few key things that we have not heard loud and clear before:
    * TP is thicker due to features others do not have.
    * WebOS is about consistent view on all the screens you face. This is a more meaningful way to say "cloud".

Anyway, I hope he can bring some focus back and get some of the products rolling out quicker.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    This is a highly arrogant interview on DeWitt's behalf, and it isn't doing them any favours. Instead of addressing the issues, he is just gave ridiculous criticisms to the public and reviewers.

To quote him:
    The second piece is application availability. This is probably the most simplistic, no-brainer argument there is. Of course everybody's going to come out and say, "well, you don't have the apps Apple has." Well, no kidding, Apple's been on the market for a couple of years. We have more native TouchPad apps than Apple had when they launched the iPad. Everybody understands there's a period of time when you're working at inspiring the developer community to get all of the apps out.
    HP knew their biggest competitor was Apple with the iPad, they knew people have wanted a better App selection since releasing the Pre but yet they have done little to nothing about it. And when questioned on it, he throws us this rubbish instead of telling us what they plan to do to eliminate the problem.

Then there is this quote:

Well, look what we got criticized on. I've gotta love this. First people are saying that we've got a fat device. You need a cord to power an iPad. You don't in our world. The fact that we're a couple of millimeters fatter is because we have Touchstone, and Touchstone allows our device to be inductively powered. And that Touchstone feature allows us to do things like touch-to-share. So we traded off a couple of millimeters -- which at the end of the day, isn't going to have any impact on functionality -- for features and function.
    I love the wireless charging feature on the Pre/Touchpad, but this is a ridiculous, arrogant response. I personally don't mind the size of the Touchpad, but whether you like it or not people are gonna size it up against an iPad in the shop. And people care about portability. That's not to say they should have made it thinner and exclude the Touchstone capabilities. But he comes across as failing to understand why people may see a problem with the size of the Touchpad. And as a side note, I believe it is much easier to use an iPad charging with a chord, then charging a Touchpad on a Touchstone.

I love WebOS and would love to see it succeed. But HP are the underdogs in the market, and you wouldn't have guessed it from that interview.
    Last edited by Smrt; 07/12/2011 at 08:16 PM.
    "He just said the OTA updates were coming, but did not comment on the performance issues."

This was mention in another interview that they are planning on adding this via OTA updates.
    wow a lot of negativity here. I thought it was a great interview by the new head. He was quite eloquent, andnhas a fighting spirit in him. I like it!
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I love the wireless charging feature on the Pre/Touchpad, but this is a ridiculous, arrogant response. I personally don't mind the size of the Touchpad, but whether you like it or not people are gonna size it up against an iPad in the shop. And people care about portability. That's not to say they should have made it thinner and exclude the Touchstone capabilities. But he comes across as failing to understand why people may see a problem with the size of the iPad. And as a side note, I believe it is much easier to use an iPad charging with a chord, then charging a Touchpad on a Touchstone.
    Really? Playing the TouchPad on the Touchstone is more difficult? <<mod delete>>

He has a very strong point here. Reviewers don't mention that because they live and breathe Apple. If an Apple product doesn't have a feature to many reviewers it's a feature not needed, if Apple does have a feature then it is a feature needed.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/12/2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: personal
    bluenote, lukehale, gbp and 1 others like this.
    As a longtime Palm fanatic (since day one of the Palm Pilot), yet one who's been critical of Palm/HP's execution since releasing WebOS, I must say I was impressed with his answers. I had problems with my Touchpad on day one, and subsequently returned it. However, HP's "Butler" tech support WAS a step up from prior HP Tech Support experiences (though still far from stellar), so it looks like they are truly putting their $$ where their mouth is. IF they indeed roll out a substantial update which fixes many of the current issues, I'm willing to give it a second look. As they say... "Actions speak louder than words."
    spitfire11 likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smrt View Post
    This is a highly arrogant interview on DeWitt's behalf, and it isn't doing them any favours. Instead of addressing the issues, he is just gave ridiculous criticisms to the public and reviewers.

To quote him:

HP knew their biggest competitor was Apple with the iPad, they knew people have wanted a better App selection since releasing the Pre but yet they have done little to nothing about it. And when questioned on it, he throws us this rubbish instead of telling us what they plan to do to eliminate the problem.

Then there is this quote:

I love the wireless charging feature on the Pre/Touchpad, but this is a ridiculous, arrogant response. I personally don't mind the size of the Touchpad, but whether you like it or not people are gonna size it up against an iPad in the shop. And people care about portability. That's not to say they should have made it thinner and exclude the Touchstone capabilities. But he comes across as failing to understand why people may see a problem with the size of the iPad. And as a side note, I believe it is much easier to use an iPad charging with a chord, then charging a Touchpad on a Touchstone.

I love WebOS and would love to see it succeed. But HP are the underdogs in the market, and you wouldn't have guessed it from that interview.
    His success is he understands how to start with a product and grow that product in a realistic manner. The TouchPad has a nice base of quality apps to start with and it will grow. This type of attitude is the attitude of a successful entrepreneur. I would sign on to his ship.
    (As an aside, in other interviews he addressed ways to attract more developers.)

I got personally tired of forgetting to realize the times my magsafe charger slipped out of my macbook port (even just this morning) and I was unwittingly down to little battery. I enjoy the ease of placing the Pre on the Touchstone and think wireless charging is a great feature to include with the TouchPad. There are still plenty of iPad1 users around who enjoy their "thick" tablets, HP has time to address this issue in the next go around.
    I can't understand your logic. Let's play the "if" game:

If you put touchstone coils, it fills space; If you don't put those coils, you don't have Touchstone. If you fill space, you can keep size or increase size. If you keep size, you must make other components smaller. If you make other components smaller (if possible), means increasing price, or removing easy size adapting components (like batteries).

So, we have the following track ends:

No Touchstone.
    An iPad-sized tablet, but overprized (wasn't the touchpad overprized at launch?)
    An iPad-sized tablet, but with worse battery life.
    The touchPad, as is.

Select your path.
    Newness Developments apps:

RafRol, willrich354, ewl88 and 1 others like this.
    "And people care about portability"

I wonder how much of this is based on Apples marketing. In general of course thin and lighter are nice, but a few ozs and mm. Also the ipad 2 might be lighter then the Touchpad, but its not light.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Wow. He kind of oozes "Eat Apple's/Android's breakfast", doesn't he? I think I like this guy. Still holding off on getting the case/Touchstone until after the OTA, just in case he's a bunch of hot air. I'm pretty hopeful, though.
    spitfire11 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Really? Playing the TouchPad on the Touchstone is more difficult? Are you really that daft?

He has a very strong point here. Reviewers don't mention that because they live and breathe Apple. If an Apple product doesn't have a feature to many reviewers it's a feature not needed, if Apple does have a feature then it is a feature needed.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Touchstone requires the Touchpad to be docked for it to be charged. This works fine if you are at a desk, but makes it much harder to use if you are sitting/lying down and want to use the Touchpad while charging it. So in that respect, I personally think it is more awkward then a cable.
    No, you don't need to spend anything. You can even go to the Dollar store and buy yourself a tablet and #2 pencil. The fact that you are spending time here complaining like this instead of elsewhere with your shiny happy gadget suggests to me that you believe the TouchPad has a lot of merit, enough so that you are spending your time trying to tear it down.

ps DeWitt is a Cubs fan. They have heart.
    66 is the Touchstone price, not the case price (I think). I certainly didn't pay 66 for mine. And yeah, makes the whole shiny plastic thing moot, but it was never that big a deal to me anyway.
    bluenote likes this.

Oh, I missed that. Now I understand.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by w2wpaul View Post
    If Windows 8 is around the corner, why are you complaining about a few weeks for an OTA update? Don't get me wrong, I think the TP has its issues and only time will tell whether or not they get addressed, but Windows 8 is definitely not around the corner and I'm not sure you can call the TP a failure quite yet....
    I'm not complaining about *a few weeks for an OTA update". I'm complaining I need such an update in the first place. Even more, I don't believe them, I don't think the OTA update will matter, just like none matter on my smartphone.

Windows 8 is going to launch around April 2012, HP has already said they are going to use it (i.e. they will make tablets with Windows 8), not only that, but WebOS for Desktop loses much of its appeal when pared down by Windows 8.

I'm not saying Windows 8 will dominate, I think Microsoft is wrongheaded (people *do not* want to use desktop apps on their tablet, they want desktop-like functionality, but no like-GUI and like-implementations)
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast