Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Do they look as bad as my pReader on my TP as I idioitically try to read book on a 9" screen in a window about the size of the Veer in my shirt pocket?
    Doesn't the HP-TP have a lower pixel density than the Pre (131 vs 186)?. Doesn't that mean that the app is still physically bigger than it would be on a phone. Not saying it doesn't look silly still.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Define lagginess, please (a couple of examples would help).
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I've lost interest. Forget. Thanks...
    It's a good question I think. You've been championing 'lagginess' all over this forum for a long time. I would like to hear your perception, so that I may learn a different point of view please.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Doesn't the HP-TP have a lower pixel density than the Pre (131 vs 186)?. Doesn't that mean that the app is still physically bigger than it would be on a phone. Not saying it doesn't look silly still.

Spot on! In fact you have the much requested 4.3" (4.37) screen.
    hagster likes this.
  4.    #164  
    webOS-Internals now has Open Office running on the TouchPad.
    With HP delivering an OTA to optimize the software, things could get very interesting around here.
    Everyone, pull up your socks.

webosinternals WebOS Internals
    Spreadsheet editing on the TouchPad via Xecutah:
    Spreadsheet editing on the TouchPad via Xecutah: on Twitpic
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/17/2011 at 08:02 AM.
    hagster and hparsons like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    webOS-Internals now has Quick Office running on the TouchPad.
    With HP delivering an OTA to optimize the software, things could get very interesting around here.
    Everyone, pull up your socks.

webosinternals WebOS Internals
    Spreadsheet editing on the TouchPad via Xecutah:
    Spreadsheet editing on the TouchPad via Xecutah: on Twitpic
    I assume you mean the full version of QO? Since we ALL have QO running.
    I've been hitting the refresh on my system update on both the TP and Veer since midnight... Something better happen today, or Monday might be a sour day for a lot of us early adopters.

Socks are off; it's crazy hot today
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Was editing in QO promised for today?
    NNJ
  7.    #167  
    Sorry, my bad. I meant Open Office which is a Linux program.
    edit: apparently they've gotten access to a bunch of Linux programs, will have to see what they develop in terms of helping the average Joe access all this
    That wouldn't be so bad, since I use OO on my Mac a lot just because it still has a few features that Pages still doesn't. I wonder if OO themselves have any support for it... In the past they've been uninterested in mobile versions.

Still, ANYTHING would be better than Google Docs.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    I'm not complaining about *a few weeks for an OTA update". I'm complaining I need such an update in the first place. Even more, I don't believe them, I don't think the OTA update will matter, just like none matter on my smartphone.

Windows 8 is going to launch around April 2012, HP has already said they are going to use it (i.e. they will make tablets with Windows 8), not only that, but WebOS for Desktop loses much of its appeal when pared down by Windows 8.

I'm not saying Windows 8 will dominate, I think Microsoft is wrongheaded (people *do not* want to use desktop apps on their tablet, they want desktop-like functionality, but no like-GUI and like-implementations)
    With Windows, an RTM of April means that it doesn't actually reach the consumers until June.
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    With Windows, an RTM of April means that it doesn't actually reach the consumers until June.
    That is, if the April estimate is a good one.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I know this question wasn't hostile, but it sounded like shrink's question to delusional patient. I bet forums search can give you good info about webOS lag which some users and reviewers have experienced and mentioned in their posts and reviews.
    If you are OK with webOS performance that is fine, but there are some problems that are preventing webOS to become bestseller and gain tens of millions of users. It's not only form factor of existing devices, there is some problems with webOS itself. If you think (like hpharsons: you don't like it than don't buy it) that marginalization of webOS is a road to success, than god save webOS.
    On other hand, I'm aware that many have tried webOS and didn't like it, some because of ever persistent lag, and if native coding is a way to overcome lag, why not do it?

HP can't manage number of apps and I don't blame them for that, but they can deliver blazing out of the box experience, so I'm just wondering what is the right path for optimal performance because pumping CPU speed clearly is not.
    There is another, much appropriate thread in forums for performance debate:

Can we all now agree that webOS needs to perform more consistently?
    It was a simple question really: Can you define 'lagginess' with some examples please?
    NNJ
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I know this question wasn't hostile, but it sounded like shrink's question to delusional patient. I bet forums search can give you good info about webOS lag which some users and reviewers have experienced and mentioned in their posts and reviews.
    If you are OK with webOS performance that is fine, but there are some problems that are preventing webOS to become bestseller and gain tens of millions of users. It's not only form factor of existing devices, there is some problems with webOS itself. If you think (like hpharsons: you don't like it than don't buy it) that marginalization of webOS is a road to success, than god save webOS.
    On other hand, I'm aware that many have tried webOS and didn't like it, some because of ever persistent lag, and if native coding is a way to overcome lag, why not do it?

HP can't manage number of apps and I don't blame them for that, but they can deliver blazing out of the box experience, so I'm just wondering what is the right path for optimal performance because pumping CPU speed clearly is not.
    There is another, much appropriate thread in forums for performance debate:

Can we all now agree that webOS needs to perform more consistently?
    Your points are valid. The lag is there. And yest there are issues that are preventing webOS tablets from becoming best sellers. Which are obvious points. Would I like a lag free TP. Sure.

Where we miss is , the lag and such are fixable. Besides what you consider a lag might not be a lag to me. And if I can live with the lag because the interface and multitasking are superior than anything out there then I buy one wait for updates.
    chalx likes this.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Your points are valid. The lag is there. And yest there are issues that are preventing webOS tablets from becoming best sellers. Which are obvious points. Would I like a lag free TP. Sure.

Where we miss is , the lag and such are fixable. Besides what you consider a lag might not be a lag to me. And if I can live with the lag because the interface and multitasking are superior than anything out there then I buy one wait for updates.
    Well-said.
    Lag = the difference in time between a user action and the expected direct outcome (lag is always 0<)

Lagginess = overall lag is high
    I've asked also about examples (I know you can't give me examples, because you don't have one. Don't worry, someone will come with examples). And what's "overall lag"?
    Last edited by deCorvett; 07/17/2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Newness Developments apps:

I..., but there are some problems that are preventing webOS to become bestseller and gain tens of millions of users.

Like people complaining about the devices without using them, you mean?

It's a reference to a purgatory in which is heavily invested framework right now:

TIMN:Okay, letís move on. You have a new smartphone coming, I know you have printers and other stuff, but youíve got the Pre 3 coming. Itís running a different version of webOS than the tablet. There are pretty major differences between those OSs. Youíre encouraging people to develop for webOS 3. Is this going to hurt the Pre 3? A device running an older version of the OS? Do you expect to get them to parity quickly? What is the phone outlook?

Jon: I wouldnít say itís an older OS. Itís certainly a different OS. We didnít want to do a tablet where we just took the phone OS and scaled it up. We talked about this before. We went back to the drawing board and said Ďhow do we take webOS and deliver that elegant experience but optimize for the larger form factor,í and because of that we had to split the effort. You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon. So youíre right, the Pre 3 has a different version of the OS. It runs phone optimized applications, itís not going to run the tablet apps. Thatís how it works on every other phone thatís out there.

TIMN:But youíre still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and weíll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but weíre not going to talk about that now.

TIMN:Will they hit parity soon though? Before the end of the year?

Jon: Weíre not giving any timeline on that.

TIMN:But it will happen?

Jon: No, I havenít even said itís going to happen. I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now thatís not the plan.

I'm just saying HP should took Apple's approach, and use native programming for native apps.
    I don't see a single reference to native code in this extract, but I see you calling "purgatory" maintaning two frameworks (one of them considered as "deprecated" right now, Rubinstein can say whatever he wants to), but at the same time asking HP to introduce a new framework on webOS for compiled code apps. Great idea.

Example: Touching an icon and not getting any response for a long time. Even worse, touching it several times because of the lag of the first press.
    Not present at my touchpad. Anyone has this issue? Let's wait for people to answer about their experience, and then you can try with another one.

18.    #178  
    Folks,
    This guy in the thread below saying he saw a 4G prototype running the OTA and it was very fast. If that is true and the lag is mostly if not completely solved , it may answer the question of why Topolsky felt like Dewitt and Rubinstein "didn't care" that they had debuted a buggy product on July 1st--meaning they knew it was already solved at the time they did the interviews and they are just finishing up the job in order to be complete and garner the best reviews second time around.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...d-handled.html
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Not present at my touchpad. Anyone has this issue? Let's wait for people to answer about their experience, and then you can try with another one.
    Come on, open your app catalog.
    no issues in my app catalog. Try a reboot.
    nyallj likes this.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast