Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    OK to be clear. My guess about fixing laggines is based on this-To gain speed and consistency they badly lack, HP needs to re write all their apps from html/rss code to c++ precompiled code or PDK or whatever it is called.
    Your statement about "html/rss code to c++ precomiled code or PDK or whatever it is called" demonstrates why your guess is so wrong. It appears you've heard a lot of terms, but don't completely understand what they mean, which explains your (incorrect) guess.
  2.    #142  
    Guys, a Dewitt and Rubinstein interview with Topolsky was posted by Nappy in this thread below and link to full interview also below

Some interesting points:
    --OTA by end of month; movie and kindle app by the 17th
    --A turbo-charged retail experience starting the 17th
    --Amazon is an example of the type of licensing partner they would like although they won't comment on talks (I am encouraged by the fact that the Kindle app is available at launch, Jon on Amazon board and also the TouchPad was available on Amazon on July 1)
    --Pre 3 os will converge at some point with the TouchPad but vagueness on deadline was intentional (I don't think they've figured it out and they may feel they have some time since the other os's haven't figured it out yet either)
    --Jon's role seems to be new webOS projects like getting it onto pcs. Dewitt is expanding and integrating with the global sales force
    there is another guy Ari Jaaksi who has been in charge of webOS for the past 7 months

edit: I like DeWitt's quote about
    "My apologies from the get-go if we somewhat stumble and bumble early on in this process."
    The quote makes him human. If they can get a fairly complete OTA out by the end of the month, they should do OK so I am OK to wait. They will need reviewers to give it a second look with a thumbs up heading into back-to-school season plus enterprise Fall IT budget planning.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...interview.html

Interview: HP’s Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubinstein on webOS, the death of Palm, and partnering with Amazon | This is my next...
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/14/2011 at 04:42 PM.
    hparsons likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    --Pre 3 os will converge at some point with the TouchPad but vagueness on deadline was intentional (I don't think they've figured it out and they may feel they have some time since the other os's haven't figured it out yet either)
    This just shows how Rubinstein really does exist in his own world. iOS has been unified since last summer. Google's roadmap has Android being unified this fall. webOS? Gotta target both Enyo and Mojo for a lot longer, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This just shows how Rubinstein really does exist in his own world. iOS has been unified since last summer. Google's roadmap has Android being unified this fall. webOS? Gotta target both Enyo and Mojo for a lot longer, I guess.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I actually don't believe the promise about ICS, since Android is such a mess with a million different devices, manufacturers, etc, that "unified" will never mean truly that. But iOS, and especially now iOS5, is the epitome of the model HP should follow as the sole controller of both the software and hardware. This unification is what is putting me on the fence. I already use a MacBook Pro, have Apple TV... with iOS5 and iCloud I could have complete parity on all devices, full mirroring with my TV, actually use the same docs in the same format with the same doc editor on computer, pad, and phone...

Sigh... I love webOS, enough to give up a lot of that. But if I can't expect at least full parity within my webOS devices, then... What's the point? Without so much functionality that is available everywhere else, the thrill slowly fades.

I have the TP and Veer, and will hold on till August 1st to make a decision. I hope there's enough reasons to still use webOS... Because there sure are a lot of reasons not to.
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    with iOS5 and iCloud I could have complete parity on all devices, full mirroring with my TV, actually use the same docs in the same format with the same doc editor on computer, pad, and phone...
    The doc editing is alluring, HP has to get that fixed. The icloud is less alluring, feels a little like a trap to me since I buy my music from all sorts of places and I don't want it to be automatically converted to some proprietary format when it is uploaded (and for a fee). Amazon needs to fight back here, I hope HP and Amazon can band together.

edit: Topolsky is having a podcast in a half hour at 6:30 pm
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Exactly what I was thinking. I actually don't believe the promise about ICS, since Android is such a mess with a million different devices, manufacturers, etc, that "unified" will never mean truly that. But iOS, and especially now iOS5, is the epitome of the model HP should follow as the sole controller of both the software and hardware. This unification is what is putting me on the fence. I already use a MacBook Pro, have Apple TV... with iOS5 and iCloud I could have complete parity on all devices, full mirroring with my TV, actually use the same docs in the same format with the same doc editor on computer, pad, and phone...

Sigh... I love webOS, enough to give up a lot of that. But if I can't expect at least full parity within my webOS devices, then... What's the point? Without so much functionality that is available everywhere else, the thrill slowly fades.

I have the TP and Veer, and will hold on till August 1st to make a decision. I hope there's enough reasons to still use webOS... Because there sure are a lot of reasons not to.
    OS parity is really a problem for developers, not end users. If the developer allows me to get the device specific versions on both phone and tablet for free, I don't care if one is Mojo and the other is Enyo. I certainly would not want to run a phone optimized App on a tablet, unless I have to, because it would look ugly no matter how your port it, stretch it or move buttons far apart.

I can certainly see a problem for developers if they have to learn two different frameworks, especially new developers. If I have an idea to create a nice App for both phone and WebOS, I have to either delay my phone app or write rewrite on in a completely different language.

BTW, can iPhone user move their phone apps on iPad for free?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    BTW, can iPhone user move their phone apps on iPad for free?
    As in install iPhone apps and run them on iPad for free? Yup. iPad even pixel doubles them so they're not running in a tiny window in the middle of the screen.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    As in install iPhone apps and run them on iPad for free? Yup. iPad even pixel doubles them so they're not running in a tiny window in the middle of the screen.
    They look terrible when not iPad native.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    They look terrible when not iPad native.
    Do they look as bad as my pReader on my TP as I idioitically try to read book on a 9" screen in a window about the size of the Veer in my shirt pocket?
    Do they look as bad as my pReader on my TP as I idioitically try to read book on a 9" screen in a window about the size of the Veer in my shirt pocket?
    I'm sorry. I know you paid a lot of money for your TouchPad and I'm not laughing at you but the mental image of someone reading an ebook in a tiny window surrounded by 8 inch black borders is just hilarious.
    augustofretes and sinsin07 like this.
    Yes, it's worse on the Touchpad, but that doesn't mean scaled Apps don't look awful in the iPad.

I'm sorry. I know you paid a lot of money for your TouchPad and I'm not laughing at you but the mental image of someone reading an ebook in a tiny window surrounded by 8 inch black borders is just hilarious.
    Agreed XDDD.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Your statement about "html/rss code to c++ precomiled code or PDK or whatever it is called" demonstrates why your guess is so wrong. It appears you've heard a lot of terms, but don't completely understand what they mean, which explains your (incorrect) guess.
    My guess is not so wrong at all:

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    There is some truth in have a native language compile code work faster on OS. Since Apple does that with iOS, way many gurus think it must be the only way. HP's choice is based on a decision that there are more programmers doing Web than C/C++ in the world. However their strategy backfired. Why? Because they did not sell enough gadgets to attract developers. Its a chicken and egg problem except that HP can control every aspect of the gadget which comes first before the Apps. I would add that the optimization of the platform with GPU doing most of the UI elements will improve the lag. I remember a year back Palm postings for hiring engineers with knowledge of GPU. I guess that did not work out before the launch day or may be in the works. I read that the total number in the unit is like 1000, which IMO is too low for the scale they are planning.
    While waiting GPU expert to join them HP could try native coding.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/15/2011 at 03:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Use the Veer instead, no borders to worry about, . But in 2 days, they say the Kindle app will be here, you won't have to do that anymore.
    NNJ
    Just wanted to say that I don't ACTUALLY use pReader on the TP. It was just to demonstrate now poor the legacy apps are on the TP.

I'm hoping that by the 17th they meant midnight of the 16th. Thank goodness they haven't sold that many, so our downloads will be nice and fast :-)
    augustofretes likes this.
    And, if whole time from 2009 till today, the most addressed issue with webOS (beside lack of apps) is its lagginess, do I have to be a programmer to guess that one OTA update won't manage whole problem?
    Define lagginess, please (a couple of examples would help).
    Newness Developments apps:

nyallj likes this.
    I've lost interest. Forget. Thanks...
    My guess is not so wrong at all:

While waiting GPU expert to join them HP could try native coding.
    The last build of webOS 3.0 (I think it was 40 or 41) was finished like 3 months ago. That's when they had to package it for retailers.

The OTA updates will contain all the advancements done after that. Which most likely include GPU acceleration.

Also HP would never rewrite in native code because it would just discourage the developers from writing in the framework that HP invested so much time and money in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbased View Post
    Also HP would never rewrite in native code because it would just discourage the developers from writing in the framework that HP invested so much time and money in.
    This is My Next interview
    Where is the reerence to native code in that interview?
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I like this guy. In 5 years there will be so many different tablet sizes a few mils here or there wont matter. For me, I want bigger and thicker, I want to be able to play a blueray on my tablet. I'm not a wuss I can hold a few pounds, I carry 15 lbs 8 hours a day around my waist.
    I agree. When it's time to put a solid state drive in a tablet, I'd like to see Apple pull that off with the iPad2. It won't be too difficult for a TouchPad. Everyone acts like HP is lame and behind the times because the did not copy Apple and the iPad2. The perfect tablet depends on your vision.
    lukehale likes this.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast