Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    That would cost an arm and leg
    it better be preloaded with a tablet version of the m:Mafia app too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm afraid first OTA won't bring significant UX boost. It may resolve resetting and sound problems, but, lagginess as webOS core problem they can't manage from day one - two and half years ago, needs complete re-wright of every single generic app on TouchPad (and every other webOS device).
    One of the webOS development managers has already stated that the release will include the hardware acceleration features that weren't ready at the time of the initial release. This will help speed up the non-PDK apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Exactly... I am actually amazed how smooth my Pre 2 runs...and this is compared to many other devices out there. esp. Androids.
    Agreed, mine has been amazing.
    Just read through this thread. I too was given hope by the Dewitt interviews. Several things I would note here in this discussion is that it is clear that HP's commitment to WebOS is considerable. Just looking at the purchase price of Palm is enough to show their commitment, much less the fact that they are now starting to put products out regularly. HP has been consistently criticized for not putting out timely products (e.g. "the Pre 2 is what the Pre should have been," or that "the Touchpad would have been a direct competitor of the first iPad"). However, today's announcement of the AT&T touchpad running at 1.5 GHZ is going to make it a cutting edge product (at least as far as processing speed) compared to other tablets. The criticism then, would no longer seem to follow here. To think that OTA's won't address some of the Touchpad's shortcomings is to ignore the evidence that HP is really committed to this product line and OS. Will they fix everything? Doubtful, but I do expect most of the key issues to be fixed. On the other hand, I think it is fair to say that every phone and tablet on the market has its shortcomings. I know everyone that I've owned has had some.

Some of the criticisms of the Touchpad are laughable. The weight issue is one. Someone in one of the threads likened the weight to one of the Harry Potter books that weighs more, and yet people are able to hold the book and read for hours. The weight of the Touchpad is also comparable to the original iPad. The rear facing camera on the Touchpad is also laughable. Many of the reviewers would even state that the rear camera really isn't practical, and then go ahead and criticize the Touchpad anyway, for not having one. The problem with fingerprints is a nuisance in my opinion, but no where close to a deal breaker, and certainly not as bad a gaffe as Apple's antenna gate with the last iphone.

Now I do believe that HP has made a lot of statements about what they are going to deliver and when, and then either missed the deadline and apologized, or just conveniently forgotten about it. This may be the reason that HP has been more quiet about specific dates of release, etc. This to me, means they are learning from their mistakes. Generally, Apple does not communicate at all about their products until release.

However, I do know that a lot of forum members have suffered due to HP and Palm's broken promises, and I also agree that the $50 rebate for the Touchpad is not adequate compensation. Hopefully, they only suffered due to the growing pains of this OS, and not because its an ongoing issue with HP.

Now, as far as the haters that come into these forums, I don't get it. I always laugh at the people that come in and start a thread about how they are leaving this phone brand, or worse yet have another phone brand (e.g. Apple or Android) and no longer have a HP or Palm phone device, and continue to post bashing the OS. To me they should be ignored and seen as only trolling for attention. If you don't like a phone or a phone brand, then just vote with your feet and get another type phone or tablet.

Well thats my two cents, and thats probably all its worth.
    All for One and One for All!
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Just read through this thread...
    Well thats my two cents, and thats probably all its worth.
    Worth a lot more than two cents, at least worth three or four cents, maybe even a buck.

Thanks for stopping in, thoughtful comments and a pleasure to read.
    Haha DeWitt is so cool!...he even has a Veer!...Good move hp getting him in charge!
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Haha DeWitt is so cool!...he even has a Veer!...Good move hp getting him in charge!
    Anyone who has a Veer is a certified webOS nut. Its nice to see webOS nut leading the group.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Yeah, just like Jon.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    So yesterday I posted a video of the upcoming "Glimpse" app (by Inglorious Apps) on my tumblr and somehow it got a lot of hits and flew around the web. Just noticed that there was a comment left on my tumblr post from DeWitt himself, saying "very cool."
    He is engaged.
    that which is, What webOS can do.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    So yesterday I posted a video of the upcoming "Glimpse" app (by Inglorious Apps) on my tumblr and somehow it got a lot of hits and flew around the web. Just noticed that there was a comment left on my tumblr post from DeWitt himself, saying "very cool."
    He is engaged.
    that which is, What webOS can do.
    Wow, this guys is not smoke and mirrors. He is real. And he is a webOS nut.
    I did check his twitter id. Thats him.

Makes me wonder, is he a precentral member ? Is he reading this thread ?
    whats his twitter handle?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    @swdathp
    ...I can guess that HP wouldn't release device with inconsistent behavior if they had solution in development so close to launch. Anyway, I can't find any proof in this "great" interview that all performance issues pointed by press and tech blog sites, will be ironed with this OTA release.
    Absence of proof is not proof. You can "guess" all you want, but that doesn't make it so. I can very reasonably see that software engineers saying "We've got the problem nailed down, we need another week or so to finish the code", and management saying "We said the 10th, we're not waiting any longer, do an OTA".

I know, I know, it doesn't fit the negative hand-wringing, but it's a possiblity, and fits what's happened (and been announced) better than your guess.

First, I sad in my post that I'm afraid not hoping so please don't safeguard others from my post.
    Actually, that was part of what you said. Here's some more of it (my emphasis added):
    I'm afraid first OTA won't bring significant UX boost. It may resolve resetting and sound problems, but, lagginess as webOS core problem they can't manage from day one - two and half years ago, needs complete re-wright of every single generic app on TouchPad (and every other webOS device).
    And that's where your information is simply, flatly, wrong.
    Enyo wasn't in development two and half years ago. Enyo was the complete rewrite. Apps that were written for Enyo won't require any rewrite for the type of OTA improvements that HP has announced. Your information is simply wrong (along with a lot of your assumptions).
    OK to be clear. My guess about fixing laggines is based on this-To gain speed and consistency they badly lack, HP needs to re write all their apps from html/rss code to c++ precompiled code or PDK or whatever it is called.
    webOS is slow and inconsistent. Problem with TP are not sporadic resets, it's a approach to webOS by webOS creators. Idea of keeping cards open all time for easy access did not managed to live. Beside small group of core webOS users, people are still closing apps and launching them from launcher when they need them, keeping them open only while working with them.
  14.    #134  
    OK to be clear. My guess about fixing laggines is based on this-To gain speed and consistency they badly lack, HP needs to re write all their apps from html/rss code to c++ precompiled code or PDK or whatever it is called.
    webOS is slow and inconsistent. Problem with TP are not sporadic resets, it's a approach to webOS by webOS creators. Idea of keeping cards open all time for easy access did not managed to live. Beside small group of core webOS users, people are still closing apps and launching them from launcher when they need them, keeping them open only while working with them.
    Got it.
    Lets see what they have rewritten for the OTAs.

People closing apps--you are looking through the rearview window. Now that they have an os and a large enough device that can keep apps open for comfortable viewing, peoples' mobile habits can mirror more closely their desktop habits (mine already has).
    @chalx-
    How do you presume to know how we all use our devices?
    By saying "whatever it is called", am I right to believe that you actually are not fluent in these, or any programming languages?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Anyone who has a Veer is a certified webOS nut. Its nice to see webOS nut leading the group.
    Or maybe simply because corporate is handing that to him. IF he's a true nut he would be forcing his guys to give him a pre-production Pre 3.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    @chalx-
    How do you presume to know how we all use our devices?
    By saying "whatever it is called", am I right to believe that you actually are not fluent in these, or any programming languages?
    You are right, I'm not programmer, I'm involved with hardware, and lately with data bases. I found basic knowledge about webOS guts here, in forums.

I'm not presuming how webOS users are using their devices, because existing number of webOS users are not enough for webOS to survive (based on Palm extinction). I don't count existing users, I don't speak about existing webOS users. I'm speaking about people who tried webOS and walked out, because personally I know far more those folks than happy webOS users.

So, All of us here can agree on one thing, webOS must drastically multiply number of users to survive. To sell well, webOS must be attractive, to be attractive, beside other things webOS must perform well. High performance standards, and certain way of design are set in smartphone business. Maybe is a shame that UI elegance, smartness of notifications, and easy multitasking are not in spotlight, but this is how it is. In all my critical posts I'm assuming how non webOS users are using their devices, and what they expect regarding performance. I know how other devices can perform, based on my direct experiences, reviews or experiences of my friends or co workers. I know how devs from other platforms that I had contacted to check webOS reacted in their replies. I know how people reacted when have tried my Pre.
    And, if whole time from 2009 till today, the most addressed issue with webOS (beside lack of apps) is its lagginess, do I have to be a programmer to guess that one OTA update won't manage whole problem?

EDIT -----------------------------------
    I'm stopping with predictions and self explanations right now, I promise.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/14/2011 at 01:00 PM.
  18.    #138  
    And, if whole time from 2009 till today, the most addressed issue with webOS (beside lack of apps) is its lagginess, do I have to be a programmer to guess that one OTA update won't manage whole problem?
    You base yourself on observed results judging from your above posts.

So this is a new platform and new iteration of the software, about 2 weeks old, now being championed by the biggest pc company who probably is no fan of lag and has a certain amount of creative software and hardware employees working on their behalf. So why don't we just wait to see what they deliver instead of trying to pre-determine the outcome, especially in a negative light? We need creativity and successful products in our economy right now.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    There is some truth in have a native language compile code work faster on OS. Since Apple does that with iOS, way many gurus think it must be the only way. HP's choice is based on a decision that there are more programmers doing Web than C/C++ in the world. However their strategy backfired. Why? Because they did not sell enough gadgets to attract developers. Its a chicken and egg problem except that HP can control every aspect of the gadget which comes first before the Apps. I would add that the optimization of the platform with GPU doing most of the UI elements will improve the lag. I remember a year back Palm postings for hiring engineers with knowledge of GPU. I guess that did not work out before the launch day or may be in the works. I read that the total number in the unit is like 1000, which IMO is too low for the scale they are planning.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Also, I believe Dewitt if the tough talk is put into action. I need to see HP hiring more engineers for this webOS unit in the coming months.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast