Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    An OTA can fix the lag issues however they (the OTA updates) haven't fixed them yet and webOS has been out for...two years now?
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    An OTA can fix the lag issues however they (the OTA updates) haven't fixed them yet and webOS has been out for...two years now?
    My Pre 2 runs pretty snappy.
    etx and RafRol like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "He just said the OTA updates were coming, but did not comment on the performance issues."

This was mention in another interview that they are planning on adding this via OTA updates.
    I thought a lot of the performance "issues" were attributed to when you first start the tablet and it is syncing/installing all the apps from your profile? I honestly have only seen performance issues when downloading/installing apps, but this was nothing new as my phone will hickup trying to do one thing whaile an app is installing in the background.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I thought a lot of the performance "issues" were attributed to when you first start the tablet and it is syncing/installing all the apps from your profile? I honestly have only seen performance issues when downloading/installing apps, but this was nothing new as my phone will hickup trying to do one thing whaile an app is installing in the background.
    Generally, my TouchPad performs just fine but there is slowdown sometimes when I come out of "sleep" mode or something. I think what HP needs to do is copy Apple with how they load apps. The iPad can take just as long to load apps but it's hidden better by having the background load as a .jpg before the app finishes.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The Pre Plus with 512MB of RAM does not have most of the problems. What it comes down to is that 256MB is not really enough RAM for WebOS, and those with the Sprint Pre are seeing the results. Have you ever tried using a Windows XP computer that only has 128MB or 256MB of RAM? It's the same thing, not enough RAM for the OS to run properly. 512MB is a workable amount though.

There IS an annoying pause when SMS/text messages are being sent/received on my Pre Plus with WebOS 2.1, but that could easily be something caused by how users are forced to hack it to get it on a AT&T or Verizon Pre Plus.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    My Pre 2 runs pretty snappy.
    Exactly... I am actually amazed how smooth my Pre 2 runs...and this is compared to many other devices out there. esp. Androids.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Why is a device being .2" thicker a "misstep"?

It's a design choice, and has its own particular advantages and characteristics. For example:

"It features
    a seamless, durable unibody enclosure with rounded contours that make
    it easy to pick up and slide into and out of your bag. Itís made of rugged polycarbonate that withstands the rough and tumble of everyday life at school, at work, or while traveling."

Like that quote? It's not from HP. It_s from Apple, regarding the shin, fat, plastic Facebook that they STILL produce.

get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'll say this about the interview...

If there's validity to the notion that the Touchstone technology is the singular reason why the TouchPad is thicker than some of the competition and he's not just blowing smoke, then my issues with the thickness are abated as its a reasonable give and take. If he's just blowing smoke, then its a bad sign from point one that they're just making excuses and trying to lie to us to cover up their missteps rather than being honest.

I have no doubt that as tear downs of the device occur and we see more of the inside, of the touchstone tech, and how it fits in there that we'll see if his statements are legitimate or if they're pure spin and BS.

I'm hoping TTS since he focuses on it so much as a reason to excuse the TouchPad's size ends up being expanded and used for more than passing around URL's.
    It's spin. As the touchstone does add some to the thickness it's a negligible amount. The speakers add MUCH more thickness in comparison.

"overall the HP touchpad is built more like a PC than an iPad, which can be good if you want to repair the device but does mean the components require a larger case."
    -trdojo

HP TouchPad: Teardown and hardware analysis | TechRepublic

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's spin. As the touchstone does add some to the thickness it's a negligible amount. The speakers add MUCH more thickness in comparison.

"overall the HP touchpad is built more like a PC than an iPad, which can be good if you want to repair the device but does mean the components require a larger case."
    -trdojo

HP TouchPad: Teardown and hardware analysis | TechRepublic
    I bet if he had said: Beats Audio and sound engineering he would have been better off.
    NNJ
    IcerC likes this.
    Generally, my TouchPad performs just fine but there is slowdown sometimes when I come out of "sleep" mode or something. I think what HP needs to do is copy Apple with how they load apps. The iPad can take just as long to load apps but it's hidden better by having the background load as a .jpg before the app finishes.
    WebOS Supports this, Developers need to implement it. See Voogle, or Bad Kitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    I quote myself:

I expect a little bit more of seriousness.
    No offense, but if you expect all these things and don't think you will get them, what about buying a different tablet? Makes sense no?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    He works for HP, did you expect him to express 'full commitment to' Apple perhaps? But perhaps you didn't read the article, for you missed his role in webOS development.
    You attacked me bluntly with your comment, and missed point greatly.
    I haven't mentioned Apple, not once, and I spoke in general, for this type of interviews and absence of true info in them.
    And what exactly is his role in webOS development and how will it differ from Rubby's approach. Please, can you explain me because I cant find any strict info in his interview.

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Are you one of the software engineers developing this OTA that you know what is/is not coming?
    I can ask same - so, are you one of the software engineers developing this OTA that you know what is/is not coming?
    I'm not, but I can guess that HP wouldn't release device with inconsistent behavior if they had solution in development so close to launch. Anyway, I can't find any proof in this "great" interview that all performance issues pointed by press and tech blog sites, will be ironed with this OTA release.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, this is incorrect in so many ways. But why bother, other than to inform other users - The above post is absolutely incorrect. Not only can an OTA fix the lagginess issue, if they wished, they could push an entire rewrite of the OS over the air.
    First, I sad in my post that I'm afraid not hoping so please don't safeguard others from my post.
    Second, I'm sure HP can push OTA fix, but I'm not sure they can fix it so soon after TP release because, in my opinion, this laggines, inconsistentcy, slow launching of apps etc. are all deep in core of webOS. If they had solution, the wouldn't push TP in stores so soon, especially knowing their partners will be ready after July 17.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/13/2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    You are 100% correct. The buying public got over the touchpad real quick, and a $50 drop isn't going to save the touchpad from the clearance bin.
    Thats awesome. Once it hits the bargain bin, we won't have to read your doom and gloom posts anymore.
  14.    #114  
    We've got less than 2 weeks until the OTA so why don't we see what it does and then resume discussion on the merits afterwards?
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    We've got less than 2 weeks until the OTA so why don't we see what it does and then resume discussion on the merits afterwards?
    Folks, this has been a great thread. I suggest we see what HP produces and then we can discuss further.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Folks, this has been a great thread. I suggest we see what HP produces and then we can discuss further.
    agreed
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Exactly... I am actually amazed how smooth my Pre 2 runs...and this is compared to many other devices out there. esp. Androids.
    +1
    I have an unlocked Pre 2, the thing is a rocket. Its super fast. Increase RAM would affect the battery life.They have to redo the OS, if not the whole thing may be some parts of it will help.
    Last edited by gbp; 07/13/2011 at 01:52 PM.
    HP should shamelessly copy Apple. That's what Apple does.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    HP should shamelessly copy Apple. That's what Apple does.
    If its possible to do that , I would say copy it. Nothing is more than end user experience.

I am curious about the OTA updates. Now that they have been saying for long time I see expectations building. I hope they won't disappoint us.
    Last edited by gbp; 07/13/2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Add
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post

Can we make a forum-wide rule that you are permitted to be disappointed in any product HP produces. You are permitted to make a post about what makes you disappointed, but you are not permitted to argue with members in an attempt to convince them why THEY should be disappointed?

All in favor?...
    Sorry, folks. This is not a democracy. This is a privately-owned forum with guidelines set forth by those owners and carried out by the moderators. No more discussion of moderation.

Back to the topic -- HP leadership.
    nyallj and HelloNNNewman like this.