Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 189
Like Tree105Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    Glad your not making the decisions for features of the Tpad.

    I lasted 2 days before I was happily plunking down my cash for a Touchstone. The "mild inconvenience" is a major PITA after you get used to the ease and flexibility of inductive charging.

    Detractors may try to dismiss this feature as minor, but I can't stress enough how cool and convenient this is in daily use.
    If anybody thinks that wireless charging is Minor, look at the recent findings that Apple is trying to do Both TTS and Touchstone. I just hope that HP gets both of these to levels where Apple will look like the copycats. And look at Android also trying to copy TTS. With a guy like DeWitt Steering the ship, webOS may finally reached the promised land we all want to see. BTW, still have my Sprint Pre -and I hope something is coming for Sprint...
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    I seriously I dont understand the negativity in this forum. I had heard about webOS fans being truly fanatic... but i didnt know fanaticalness came with negativity...
    Little of the negativity is coming from "fans". Hang around a while, you'll begin to recognize their style and MO.
    angiest likes this.
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I admire your patience and tolerance! It's almost Zen. I would have phrased that differently, but it would not have been allowed here, .
    Thanks. We certainly learned patience dealing with Palm over the past year. I, like the many patient users on this forum, are hoping this guy Dewitt "gets it" and HP will be more responsive to users and developers than they have been since 2.xxx and 3.xxx started to be rolled out.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    He basically said this when he slammed reviewers for their "few apps" complaints:
    • Yes, TouchPad has fewer apps than a device that has been out for two years.
    • However, TouchPad has more apps than that same device had when it launched.
    • Remember, TouchPad has few apps because it is hard to write apps for a device that wasn't even on the market 13 days ago.
    • But, The apps will come and then total app numbers will be meaningless because both TouchPad and iPad will have the same big apps.
    TouchPad and webOS is most appropriate now for people who like the multitasking, flash, open nature of the platform etc and who are willing to wait to see if some of the other apps come when the customer base grows. If you need those other apps in your daily life now, best to buy one of those other tablets while you wait for webOS to grow, new products take awhile to develop.
    (but please get editing now and fix the phone echo on the Touchpad)
  5. #85  
    i respect your opinion, but i am fine with plastic. feels very organic and i like the rounded form. besides i suppose it is much more environmental friendly than metal.
  6. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by jescandalo View Post
    If anybody thinks that wireless charging is Minor, look at the recent findings that Apple is trying to do Both TTS and Touchstone. I just hope that HP gets both of these to levels where Apple will look like the copycats. And look at Android also trying to copy TTS. With a guy like DeWitt Steering the ship, webOS may finally reached the promised land we all want to see. BTW, still have my Sprint Pre -and I hope something is coming for Sprint...
    HP should be marketing the Touchstone all over the place, both for the phones as well as the Touchpad. The message of "With our products, you don't NEED to plug your device in to charge it" would go a long way. There should also be a "special" where if you buy any WebOS device, it comes with a Touchstone charger for the first month after the product release. Get those Touchstones out to the public and get those early adopters HAPPY to be early adopters. The Touchstone is one of those things that would make any Apple user wish they had it. Pushing the "no need for cables to back up your device" part of the design and that is a positive as well.

    The only thing really missing from the base device software is something like Missing Sync to sync to a desktop/laptop computer rather than just to "The Cloud".
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    HP should be marketing the Touchstone all over the place, both for the phones as well as the Touchpad. The message of "With our products, you don't NEED to plug your device in to charge it" would go a long way. There should also be a "special" where if you buy any WebOS device, it comes with a Touchstone charger for the first month after the product release. Get those Touchstones out to the public and get those early adopters HAPPY to be early adopters. The Touchstone is one of those things that would make any Apple user wish they had it. Pushing the "no need for cables to back up your device" part of the design and that is a positive as well.
    Well they better hurry. If the latest Apple reports and patent applications are any indication, Touchstone and TTS are not going to be a distinction for us much longer...

    Oh wait, we don't have TTS yet.
  8. #88  
    Yesterday I went to Best Buy to return my TP after a week. I was very reluctant, but was beginning to wonder about the updates and coming features that were promised and that I must have. Also figured, get refund now and just buy again later if they come. I have a Mac and Apple TV, so I figured I could just cave and get the iPad2.
    So I go to the iPad display, and ask the guy to show me how to try to get the functionality I am used to. Multitasking is poo on iPad2. Emails are saved as drafts then have to re open.. No way to just continue back and forth. No way to attach multiple docs or files to email. No drop down device settings... And know what? In my hands, that thing is JUST TOO THIN!!! Maybe with iOS5 I could put up with that, but add current "notifications" that are so annoying... I put it down and walked away.
    Back at the counter, the manager realized my dilemma, and told me to keep the TP for 30 days, not just the 14. Signed my receipt to that effect. Now I will be able to decide after the updates.
    So I get home, and read this interview... WOW! I like this guy. About time someone responded to the Apple "measuring stick" without an apology. And I love how he disses Android as a "slap on" product, which it is. (I had the Nexus S for two weeks..
    no thanks) and when I got to where he gives the specific timeline, I was so glad I still had my touchpad in my hands.
    So I powered up Touchy, (that's his name) put back in my profile... And in about 15 minutes was back where I was, all apps etc., after having done a secure full erase. Know what? My patches from Preware were not erased by that...extra bonus :-)
    Let's see it, HP. I'm still a believer. And I too carry a Veer ;-)
    Last edited by Jonesey; 07/13/2011 at 06:29 AM.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Yesterday I went to Best Buy to return my TP after a week. I was very reluctant, but was beginning to wonder about the updates and coming features that were promised and that I must have. Also figured, get refund now and just buy again later if they come. I have a Mac and Apple TV, so I figured I could just cave and get the iPad2.
    So I go to the iPad display, and ask the guy to show me how to try to get the functionality I am used to. Multitasking is poo on iPad2. Emails are saved as drafts then have to re open.. No way to just continue back and forth. No way to attach multiple docs or files to email. No drop down device settings... And know what? In my hands, that thing is JUST TOO THIN!!! Maybe with iOS5 I could put up with that, but add current "notifications" that are so annoying... I put it down and walked away.
    Back at the counter, the manager realized my dilemma, and told me to keep the TP for 30 days, not just the 14. Signed my receipt to that effect. Now I will be able to decide after the updates.
    So I get home, and read this interview... WOW! I like this guy. About time someone responded to the Apple "measuring stick" without an apology. And I love how he disses Android as a "slap on" product, which it is. (I had the Nexus S for two weeks..
    no thanks) and when I got to where he gives the specific timeline, I was so glad I still had my touchpad in my hands.
    So I powered up Touchy, (that's his name) put back in my profile... And in about 15 minutes was back where I was, all apps etc., after having done a secure full erase. Know what? My patches from Preware were not erased by that...extra bonus :-)
    Let's see it, HP. I'm still a believer. And I too carry a Veer ;-)
    Great story, this is my issue too. If the OTA comes out by the rumored 25th date, you will still have 1 day to decide before you have to return it. Which BestBuy was it? That manager was smart.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Great story, this is my issue too. If the OTA comes out by the rumored 25th date, you will still have 1 day to decide before you have to return it. Which BestBuy was it? That manager was smart.
    Actually, in the engadget interview he said they will try to have update ready by the 17th, and more to follow soon after. I got mine on the 3rd, so I will have till August 2nd. This was a BB in Kansas, but I bet you could make the case at any... However, the deal was I would get an exchange, not cash back. Which for me is OK since if the TP doesn't work, I will get the iPad2.

    Here's hoping I don't have to.
  11. #91  
    This kind of interviews are idiotic because nothing sincere can't be told. Guy can't speak his personal opinions, cant give any specific insight, he can only express full commitment to the company's efforts etc, etc. Its not related only to this interview, it is common to all interviews of this kind. Only time will tell what is his role in webOS development, and what strategy shift HP planned with his promotion.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Actually, in the engadget interview he said they will try to have update ready by the 17th, and more to follow soon after. I got mine on the 3rd, so I will have till August 2nd. This was a BB in Kansas, but I bet you could make the case at any... However, the deal was I would get an exchange, not cash back. Which for me is OK since if the TP doesn't work, I will get the iPad2.

    Here's hoping I don't have to.
    He committed to some apps by the 17th including Movie Store. He hopes to have OTA by the 17th but committed to "by the end of the month."
    It sounds to me like they would "like" the 17th but if the OTA is not done by then, they are thinking it will be done within 7 days of that time through to Sun 25th.
    (his boss Bradley had told Bloomberg recently "about ten days" which puts it into that week of the 17th and someone else on the forums is claiming inside knowledge of the 25th so it looks like they are aiming to get it out quickly but are struggling to have it done by the 17th).

    I don't mind a little bit of a delay as I know there will be a second round of reviews by the critics and the OTA has to be complete enough so that the mainstream press will review again and write positive responses which will be the latest reviews John Q Public sees along with the commercials and the store inserts. Its doubtful the 2nd OTA will garner as much attention if the first OTA doesn't solve enough of the problems so the first OTA really has to be decent.
  13. #93  
    I'm afraid first OTA won't bring significant UX boost. It may resolve resetting and sound problems, but, lagginess as webOS core problem they can't manage from day one - two and half years ago, needs complete re-wright of every single generic app on TouchPad (and every other webOS device).
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by jescandalo View Post
    If anybody thinks that wireless charging is Minor, look at the recent findings that Apple is trying to do Both TTS and Touchstone. I just hope that HP gets both of these to levels where Apple will look like the copycats. And look at Android also trying to copy TTS. With a guy like DeWitt Steering the ship, webOS may finally reached the promised land we all want to see. BTW, still have my Sprint Pre -and I hope something is coming for Sprint...
    To do that they really need to step up the game. Need to be like when Apple and others releases their interpretation, TTS is already in its second iteration and vastly improved. Sharing URLs only is not enough to do this.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    This kind of interviews are idiotic because nothing sincere can't be told. Guy can't speak his personal opinions, cant give any specific insight, he can only express full commitment to the company's efforts etc, etc. Its not related only to this interview, it is common to all interviews of this kind. Only time will tell what is his role in webOS development, and what strategy shift HP planned with his promotion.
    He works for HP, did you expect him to express 'full commitment to' Apple perhaps? But perhaps you didn't read the article, for you missed his role in webOS development.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm afraid first OTA won't bring significant UX boost. It may resolve resetting and sound problems, but, lagginess as webOS core problem they can't manage from day one - two and half years ago, needs complete re-wright of every single generic app on TouchPad (and every other webOS device).
    Are you one of the software engineers developing this OTA that you know what is/is not coming?
    NNJ
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    HP should be marketing the Touchstone all over the place, both for the phones as well as the Touchpad. The message of "With our products, you don't NEED to plug your device in to charge it" would go a long way. There should also be a "special" where if you buy any WebOS device, it comes with a Touchstone charger for the first month after the product release. Get those Touchstones out to the public and get those early adopters HAPPY to be early adopters. The Touchstone is one of those things that would make any Apple user wish they had it. Pushing the "no need for cables to back up your device" part of the design and that is a positive as well.

    The only thing really missing from the base device software is something like Missing Sync to sync to a desktop/laptop computer rather than just to "The Cloud".
    +1
    I totally agree. HP should advertise it all over.
    Touchstone experience is unique. Its almost similar to how we all felt when we first used webOS. Once you start using it, its not easy to give up. Dewitt seems to understand the importance of Touchstone. I am sure all of the HP executives use Touchstone.
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm afraid first OTA won't bring significant UX boost. It may resolve resetting and sound problems, but, lagginess as webOS core problem they can't manage from day one - two and half years ago, needs complete re-wright of every single generic app on TouchPad (and every other webOS device).
    Do you have inside knowledge that they are not rewriting the code? I thought someone posted on one of the threads that Rubinstein said they were rewriting. Was this from the Rubinstein-Topolsky talk, does anyone remember this?
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm afraid first OTA won't bring significant UX boost. It may resolve resetting and sound problems, but, lagginess as webOS core problem they can't manage from day one - two and half years ago, needs complete re-wright of every single generic app on TouchPad (and every other webOS device).
    Actually, this is incorrect in so many ways. But why bother, other than to inform other users - The above post is absolutely incorrect. Not only can an OTA fix the lagginess issue, if they wished, they could push an entire rewrite of the OS over the air.
  19. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #99  
    I'll say this about the interview...

    If there's validity to the notion that the Touchstone technology is the singular reason why the TouchPad is thicker than some of the competition and he's not just blowing smoke, then my issues with the thickness are abated as its a reasonable give and take. If he's just blowing smoke, then its a bad sign from point one that they're just making excuses and trying to lie to us to cover up their missteps rather than being honest.

    I have no doubt that as tear downs of the device occur and we see more of the inside, of the touchstone tech, and how it fits in there that we'll see if his statements are legitimate or if they're pure spin and BS.

    I'm hoping TTS since he focuses on it so much as a reason to excuse the TouchPad's size ends up being expanded and used for more than passing around URL's.
  20. #100  
    why is a product being .2 in thicker a "misstep"?

    get over it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    angiest, anthony81586 and DD007 like this.

Posting Permissions