Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Read my post above again, if it was only stemming from the fans, it would be far less... you'll be able to tell after awhile.
    I admire your patience and tolerance! It's almost Zen. I would have phrased that differently, but it would not have been allowed here, .
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I love how he put the reviewers in their place. He basically said "No $#*! Sherlock" to the few apps complaint. He also made fun of those who called the TouchPad fat.
    I'm not sure if being unabashedly proud of having a platform with no apps is such a good thing.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmoran27 View Post
    so the other guy said 10 days for the ota update and he says a month.

they are beginning to sound like the rim guys.

next theyll both be denying they said anything

He said within the month. Stop trying to dig for something to complain about.
    nyallj, lukehale and simossoft like this.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    You have a lot of experience on the business side of the spectrum -- do you see the TouchPad as a primarily business-minded tablet?

No, because we're not looking at business and consumer, anymore. It's you. All that matters is you. You're the design center. It's not, "oh, here, we want to sell a product to someone who works at Bank of America," or, "we want to sell a product to Jane Doe in Findlay, OH." We want to sell products that allow your individual identity to be reflected in that device, and we want to make accessibility to that flawless -- all the human factors: touch, voice, video. One of the beautiful things about webOS is how awesome the accessibility is in the platform, and if we can add to that accessibility unique services for the developer community, like Synergy and a whole slew of other things we've talked about (and believe me, we've got a lot more in the hopper), we think that's a pretty powerful combo.

I like this guy.... BEST ANSWER I HAVE EVER HEARD TO THIS QUESTION
    You forgot the best part:" it's because of these unique capabilities. We clearly didn't do a good enough job in communicating that and we're going to fix that."
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm not sure if being unabashedly proud of having a platform with no apps is such a good thing.
    Nonsense: there's NO 'no apps'.
    NNJ
    I mean, we can debate poetic license and specifics but when someone buys a TouchPad and it whiffs on having "every essential app," what's the difference?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I think DeWitt answers the app question pretty nicely in the interview, don't you?
    Last edited by nyallj; 07/12/2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Capital W!
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I think Dewitt answers the app question pretty nicely in the interview, don't you?
    No, I don't.

Of course everybody's going to come out and say, "well, you don't have the apps Apple has." Well, no kidding, Apple's been on the market for a couple of years. We have more native TouchPad apps than Apple had when they launched the iPad. Everybody understands there's a period of time when you're working at inspiring the developer community to get all of the apps out. We have all of the key apps out, and we're going to have a ton more every day.
    The first thing I noticed is they don't have "all the key apps out" -- they don't even have Kindle generally available.

The thing he doesn't address is why would someone want to buy this when he openly admits the App Catalog is comparatively anemic?
    He basically said this when he slammed reviewers for their "few apps" complaints:
    • Yes, TouchPad has fewer apps than a device that has been out for two years.
    • However, TouchPad has more apps than that same device had when it launched.
    • Remember, TouchPad has few apps because it is hard to write apps for a device that wasn't even on the market 13 days ago.
    • But, The apps will come and then total app numbers will be meaningless because both TouchPad and iPad will have the same big apps.
    RafRol and bluenote like this.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The first thing I noticed is they don't have "all the key apps out"
    The key app is out: Browser with Flash.
    NNJ
    lukehale, timeweb2 and angiest like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    The key app is out: Browser with Flash.
    I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious or not.
    koolkid09 likes this.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    No, you don't need to spend anything. You can even go to the Dollar store and buy yourself a tablet and #2 pencil. The fact that you are spending time here complaining like this instead of elsewhere with your shiny happy gadget suggests to me that you believe the TouchPad has a lot of merit, enough so that you are spending your time trying to tear it down.

ps DeWitt is a Cubs fan. They have heart.
    Tablet and Dollar store , that's funny. And Oleophobic ? did I spell that correctly? that and the retina display. I should thank Steve Jobs for increasing my vocabulary.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smrt View Post
    This is a highly arrogant interview on DeWitt's behalf, and it isn't doing them any favours. Instead of addressing the issues, he is just gave ridiculous criticisms to the public and reviewers.

I love the wireless charging feature on the Pre/Touchpad, but this is a ridiculous, arrogant response. I personally don't mind the size of the Touchpad,
    Glad you liked the size of TP.

but whether you like it or not people are gonna size it up against an iPad in the shop. And people care about portability. That's not to say they should have made it thinner and exclude the Touchstone capabilities. But he comes across as failing to understand why people may see a problem with the size of the Touchpad. And as a side note, I believe it is much easier to use an iPad charging with a chord, then charging a Touchpad on a Touchstone.

I love WebOS and would love to see it succeed. But HP are the underdogs in the market, and you wouldn't have guessed it from that interview.
    You talk about people sizing up it against iPad , then you opine that charging using a chord is better than touchstone ? Are you sure about it ?
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You mean fingerprints right?

I would be really scared if a tablet came shipped with fingertips.
    That would cost an arm and leg
    bevcraw and ChemEngr like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    I seriously I dont understand the negativity in this forum. I had heard about webOS fans being truly fanatic... but i didnt know fanaticalness came with negativity.
    Currently i'm an iPhone owner.. i never owned a palm product (except old treo ones),
    There you said it yourself. It's been ages since you've owned a Palm product and currently you own an iphone. As an iphone owner, you have not had to experience the pain and frustration of waiting, waiting, and waiting for something better, unmet promises for updates, wondering if your carrier will ever carry the next flagship phone, wondering when the dang thing will ever be released, go through a buyout, lose a market cycle, and still clinging to hope whether webOS will ever make it out alive, clinging to a phone that's on life support even though you have an upgrade discount that's unused... and then the recent and rather unflattering TP release. That's the source of all the negativity you're just now seeing.

iphone is a good phone. One thing apple owners can appreciate is consistency whether that is an update, a new release, or innovation.
    It's a shame that a majority of the comments on Engadget are extremely negative.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The guy is what the doctor prescribed for HP. To me he looks sharp , who grasps the customer's needs quickly. He seemed technical enough to understand the under pinnings of webOS. I couldn't be happier to hear the OTA updates. And most importantly he understands that Ruby is the real brain behind this. If anything, it will free up Ruby to make more gadgets. Just lock him up in a room.
    nyallj likes this.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    It's a shame that a majority of the comments on Engadget are extremely negative.
    I thought it was a mix. He rubbed the Android boys on the wrong side. There is a bunch of them on engadget. Typically it will be between Android and Apple. Poor Palm used to be the eternal underdog.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Just lock him up in a room.
    Not nice, but funny as hell!
    NNJ
    As I said, I have no problems with the Wireless Charging feature and the size of the Touchpad. But DeWitt stated that people criticised the size of the Touchpad. He then made it out as if that size was a trade-off for the Touchstone capability. I think he should have eliminated the Touchstone support and work on making the device smaller. As cool as Wireless Charging is, I feel people only see Wired charging as a very mild inconvenience and definitely not a feature that would make someone pick the Touchpad over an iPad, especially when you have to fork out more money to make use of the feature..
    Glad your not making the decisions for features of the Tpad.

I lasted 2 days before I was happily plunking down my cash for a Touchstone. The "mild inconvenience" is a major PITA after you get used to the ease and flexibility of inductive charging.

Detractors may try to dismiss this feature as minor, but I can't stress enough how cool and convenient this is in daily use.
    dsei, Sukiyaki and ChemEngr like this.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast