Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    I like this guy. In 5 years there will be so many different tablet sizes a few mils here or there wont matter. For me, I want bigger and thicker, I want to be able to play a blueray on my tablet. I'm not a wuss I can hold a few pounds, I carry 15 lbs 8 hours a day around my waist.
    I thought it was a very good interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Smrt, you might want to read the CNET interview.
    Also you might want to read some case studies of successful products and how they grow in stages. DeWitt knows this firsthand, which is good for all of us.
    A better interview than the Engdaget interview anyway, and he states how he plans to get developers on his side too:

DeWitt said HP is going to redouble its efforts to support the developer community. That includes bringing financial, engineering, and marketing resources. However, he was reluctant to say HP would pay developers for apps, but said he was open to models such as discounts on intellectual property, as well as direct investment if the situation calls for it.
    Hopefully we'll see a much more competitive second generation Touchpad soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smrt View Post
    This is a highly arrogant interview on DeWitt's behalf, . . .
    . . .
    Then there is this quote:

. . . I personally don't mind the size of the Touchpad, but whether you like it or not people are gonna size it up against an iPad in the shop. And people care about portability. That's not to say they should have made it thinner and exclude the Touchstone capabilities.. . .
    . . .
    I don't understand the stuff about the thickness. The TouchPad is thinner than the stuff I have to print off and take with me to meetings at work. It's not as thin as my Kindle, but it's thinner than my Kindle, with it's protective case. If someone cares only about how thin it is, they'll buy another product and that's okay.

Everyone doesn't buy and sale the same size desktops, laptops, etc. Why would we all want the same size tablet?

I purchase a larger purse to carry my Kindle. I didn't jump to one of those huge purses, but the TouchPad fits in my new purse. I wouldn't carry it in my purse, but it does fit.

Basically, I don't get the thickness issue either. But for those who do, and use that as the core reason for purchasing a tablet, they'll get another device.
  5.    #45  
    Hopefully we'll see a much more competitive second generation Touchpad soon.
    First gen is fine for me with software optimization and more apps, I'm with the guy a few posts above who is not a wuss, the thicker tablet lets me cuts down on 1 rep every 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by oswego View Post
    Touchpad comes with a charging cable and the option of using touchstone so whats the problem? You have choices with touchpad.
    EXACTLY.

Plus, we need to remember the idea that you are going to be able to transfer data via the touchstone, and that the device is going to be able to id which touchstone your on. Its not just about charging.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 07/12/2011 at 10:23 PM.
    I seriously I dont understand the negativity in this forum. I had heard about webOS fans being truly fanatic... but i didnt know fanaticalness came with negativity.
    Currently i'm an iPhone owner.. i never owned a palm product (except old treo ones), but after seriously searching for multi tasking capabilities im now attracted to this platform and i'm looking forward... but seriously God knows how many people are in my shoes... i can guarantee you that if they come to this forum searching for better alternatives, some people are sure to turn them off...

Anyway, i do think this guy (Dewitt) has the potential to turn things around. Number of times he has been in the "underdog" positions and the way he has managed to come out of that position is impressive. If HP asked him to leave whatever he was doing and head webOS division, doesn't that tell you that HP is serious about this product? and HP has started giving actual dates (like 17th.. 10 days, by this month end, etc) instead of coming days/weeks is not not a sign enough for some of you?
    Thats what is keeping me wait for Pre3/touchPad/other webOS products.
    Seriously, get a life....
    angiest likes this.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Very impressive. Sounds like he, and the rest of the HP team had realistic expectations about the TP's launch. His candor is refreshing. I get the impression his taking over the division has been in the works for some time now, I can't imagine he's picked up on all the OTA stuff in little over 24 hrs. He has to be fully aware of how vocal 'The community' is, and how much we will howl if the OTA timeline slips, etc.

I had faith that HP would eventually get OTA updates out to improve the TP's performance, but now I have it on his athority that the days of 'coming soon' will become a thing of the past. Huzza, and Hurray! Long live the King!
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    Good discussion, Guys, but let's keep the personal comments out of it, please. Talk about the devices and HP leadership, but not each other. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I love the wireless charging feature on the Pre/Touchpad, but this is a ridiculous, arrogant response. I personally don't mind the size of the Touchpad, but whether you like it or not people are gonna size it up against an iPad in the shop. And people care about portability. That's not to say they should have made it thinner and exclude the Touchstone capabilities. But he comes across as failing to understand why people may see a problem with the size of the Touchpad. And as a side note, I believe it is much easier to use an iPad charging with a chord, then charging a Touchpad on a Touchstone.

I love WebOS and would love to see it succeed. But HP are the underdogs in the market, and you wouldn't have guessed it from that interview.
    I don't understand why this is arrogant. DeWitt did not say thin is bad, but pointed out the fact that the charging feature takes more room. I think people should show iPad with one of it's wireless charging case on and compare with TP. I bet TP would come out thinner.

TP marketing should show an iPad with all the same feature and than say, see we give you all up front in an overall smaller device.

HP should pick on one or two things that is very hard for iPad to do with Apps, for example switching between email editing and web browser over and over in commercial. Makes it looks like something all tablets should do. Let iPad owner think why can't my device do it so easily.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    I seriously I dont understand the negativity in this forum. I had heard about webOS fans being truly fanatic... but i didnt know fanaticalness came with negativity.
    Ksht welcome to Precentral. Feel free to ask any questions about webOS.

A certain amount of negativity has stemmed from legitimate disappointment and mistrust from some HP broken promises (I won't go into the history here). But what is far more interesting is the number of negative posters who seem to be non-webOS fans. Why they come and compulsively post here is anyone's guess. After awhile, you will learn to distinguish between the two types of gripes.
    w2wpaul, timeweb2 and hparsons like this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Currently i'm an iPhone owner.. i never owned a palm product (except old treo ones), but after seriously searching for multi tasking capabilities im now attracted to this platform and i'm looking forward... but seriously God knows how many people are in my shoes... i can guarantee you that if they come to this forum searching for better alternatives, some people are sure to turn them off...

Anyway, i do think this guy (Dewitt) has the potential to turn things around. Number of times he has been in the "underdog" positions and the way he has managed to come out of that position is impressive. If HP asked him to leave whatever he was doing and head webOS division, doesn't that tell you that HP is serious about this product? and HP has started giving actual dates (like 17th.. 10 days, by this month end, etc) instead of coming days/weeks is not not a sign enough for some of you?
    Thats what is keeping me wait for Pre3/touchPad/other webOS products.
    Seriously, get a life....
    I think there is so much negativity because of Sprint.
    All the glass tablets are fingertip magnets, if you don't want grease use a mechanical instrument instead of your own flesh and blood skin with its constantly shedding cell matter
    I nominate this for Quote of the Day.
    this guys shows promise...actually makes me excited about the future of webos again.

jon who?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I nominate this for Quote of the Day.
    It's not actually correct, though. An oleophobic coating goes a long way towards keeping the screen smudge-free.
    Ksht welcome to Precentral. Feel free to ask any questions about webOS.

A certain amount of negativity has stemmed from legitimate disappointment and mistrust from some HP broken promises (I won't go into the history here). But what is far more interesting is the number of negative posters who seem to be non-webOS fans. Why they come and compulsively post here is anyone's guess. After awhile, you will learn to distinguish between the two types of gripes.
    Thanks Bluenote. I did come to know about (ateast Some of the) broken promises, and i feel sorry for all long time loyalists. But if a webOS fan wants webOS to be successful, and they go on a constant rant about all the negativity, how will a new guy like me come here and gain trust in a platform and adopt a new platform? Thats a loss for the webOS. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I know every platform has its own issues and you find negativity everywhere... but its a bit too much... sorry, i'm new here, i shouldnt probably tell you how to run your place. but you get the point.

sorry, didnt mean to go off-topic. mods can delete my post if necessary.
    simossoft likes this.
  17.    #57  
    Thanks Bluenote. I did come to know about (ateast Some of the) broken promises, and i feel sorry for all long time loyalists. But if a webOS fan wants webOS to be successful, and they go on a constant rant about all the negativity, how will a new guy like me come here and gain trust in a platform and adopt a new platform? Thats a loss for the webOS. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I know every platform has its own issues and you find negativity everywhere... but its a bit too much... sorry, i'm new here, i shouldnt probably tell you how to run your place. but you get the point.

sorry, didnt mean to go off-topic. mods can delete my post if necessary.
    Read my post above again, if it was only stemming from the fans, it would be far less... you'll be able to tell after awhile.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Oh, that chap is smooth. So short a time there and he has it covered! He's a talker that one. No wonder his track record is so good.
    And this is what HP needs, somebody who can sell webOS. They've done the right thing I think: put the engineer (Jon) into creation, and brought the salesman to sell.
    All of a sudden my nervousness went away.
    NNJ
    I love how he put the reviewers in their place. He basically said "No $#*! Sherlock" to the few apps complaint. He also made fun of those who called the TouchPad fat.

He also smacked Android around. This quote is the best
    I'm sure glad we didn't launch at CES in that cluster of products, because we're not slapping Android on a device and calling it a day.

And he carries a Veer. This guy has bought into the program.
    You have a lot of experience on the business side of the spectrum -- do you see the TouchPad as a primarily business-minded tablet?

No, because we're not looking at business and consumer, anymore. It's you. All that matters is you. You're the design center. It's not, "oh, here, we want to sell a product to someone who works at Bank of America," or, "we want to sell a product to Jane Doe in Findlay, OH." We want to sell products that allow your individual identity to be reflected in that device, and we want to make accessibility to that flawless -- all the human factors: touch, voice, video. One of the beautiful things about webOS is how awesome the accessibility is in the platform, and if we can add to that accessibility unique services for the developer community, like Synergy and a whole slew of other things we've talked about (and believe me, we've got a lot more in the hopper), we think that's a pretty powerful combo.

I like this guy.... BEST ANSWER I HAVE EVER HEARD TO THIS QUESTION
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast