Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    WebOS has merit, the Touchpad doesn't. I'm just yet another dissapointed user, and pathetic answers from WebOS' new leader aren't a welcome addition to an already zombie-state OS (one can only hope they will save it, but with Windows 8 around the corner, and the failure the Touchpad is, the things look harder and harder).
    I'm so glad you spend time posting on a forum that is about a meritless product and a Zombie like OS. I think it says a lot about a person who is willing to spend so much of their limited free time posting on a forum dedicated to failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smrt View Post
    This is a highly arrogant interview on DeWitt's behalf, and it isn't doing them any favours. Instead of addressing the issues, he is just gave ridiculous criticisms to the public and reviewers.

To quote him:

HP knew their biggest competitor was Apple with the iPad, they knew people have wanted a better App selection since releasing the Pre but yet they have done little to nothing about it. And when questioned on it, he throws us this rubbish instead of telling us what they plan to do to eliminate the problem.

Then there is this quote:

I love the wireless charging feature on the Pre/Touchpad, but this is a ridiculous, arrogant response. I personally don't mind the size of the Touchpad, but whether you like it or not people are gonna size it up against an iPad in the shop. And people care about portability. That's not to say they should have made it thinner and exclude the Touchstone capabilities. But he comes across as failing to understand why people may see a problem with the size of the iPad. And as a side note, I believe it is much easier to use an iPad charging with a chord, then charging a Touchpad on a Touchstone.

I love WebOS and would love to see it succeed. But HP are the underdogs in the market, and you wouldn't have guessed it from that interview.
    I do not yet own a Touchpad and a Touchstone, it is currently in transit as we speak, but I have a hard time believing that wired charging is easier than a wireless one. I used to own a Palm Pre Plus (actually still own but am now using a Windows Phone 7 device) along with the Touchstone and it was extremely an easy and convenient way to charge.

I think what you're saying that it's easier to charge whilst using the tablet. I'd imagine that you couldn't really use it as it charges because the charger would get in the way as supposed to wired charging because you can hold at any position.
    bluenote likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Touchstone requires the Touchpad to be docked for it to be charged. This works fine if you are at a desk, but makes it much harder to use if you are sitting/lying down and want to use the Touchpad while charging it. So in that respect, I personally think it is more awkward then a cable.
    It really depends on what you're trying to do. If you have it docked it's much easier to use the keyboard to do productivity items, watch movies, etc. If you're doing casual surfing do you really do to that while it's charging? The TouchPad batter last a long time, I just dock mine before bed and I use it as a clock in my office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    It really depends on what you're trying to do. If you have it docked it's much easier to use the keyboard to do productivity items, watch movies, etc. If you're doing casual surfing do you really do to that while it's charging? The TouchPad batter last a long time, I just dock mine before bed and I use it as a clock in my office.
    I guess it's a plus for us to have the best of both worlds.
    I'm so glad you spend time posting on a forum that is about a meritless product and a Zombie like OS. I think it says a lot about a person who is willing to spend so much of their limited free time posting on a forum dedicated to failure.
    The OS is in a Zombie-state because of the hardware and the optimization issues, only Rubenstein could get away with launching the same (failed) device three times in a row.

Also, I can use my free time for whatever like, and I like WebOS
    I'm not complaining about *a few weeks for an OTA update". I'm complaining I need such an update in the first place. Even more, I don't believe them, I don't think the OTA update will matter, just like none matter on my smartphone.
    Fair enough...and I agree insomuch that they need to put up or shut up at this point...

Windows 8 is going to launch around April 2012, HP has already said they are going to use it (i.e. they will make tablets with Windows 8), not only that, but WebOS for Desktop loses much of its appeal when pared down by Windows 8.

I'm not saying Windows 8 will dominate, I think Microsoft is wrongheaded (people *do not* want to use desktop apps on their tablet, they want desktop-like functionality, but no like-GUI and like-implementations)
    I find it hard to speculate on anything regarding Windows 8 at this stage...
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    wow a lot of negativity here. I thought it was a great interview by the new head. He was quite eloquent, andnhas a fighting spirit in him. I like it!
    Me too. And these loudmouths on the forums are calling HIM arrogant? lol
    simossoft likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Grappler, what kind of animal is that?

ps The responses on this thread are fun to read, you guys are great.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Touchstone requires the Touchpad to be docked for it to be charged. This works fine if you are at a desk, but makes it much harder to use if you are sitting/lying down and want to use the Touchpad while charging it. So in that respect, I personally think it is more awkward then a cable.
    Touchpad comes with a charging cable and the option of using touchstone so whats the problem? You have choices with touchpad.
    simossoft likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Oh, I missed that. Now I understand.
    Apologies, there was a typo in my post. Corrected now.

As I said, I have no problems with the Wireless Charging feature and the size of the Touchpad. But DeWitt stated that people criticised the size of the Touchpad. He then made it out as if that size was a trade-off for the Touchstone capability. I think he should have eliminated the Touchstone support and work on making the device smaller. As cool as Wireless Charging is, I feel people only see Wired charging as a very mild inconvenience and definitely not a feature that would make someone pick the Touchpad over an iPad, especially when you have to fork out more money to make use of the feature.

As I said, I don't think DeWitt did himself any favours in the interview. He should have put his hand up and say yes we don't have as many Apps as the iPad (for example) and state what their intentions are to change this. Instead he gave us some BS with how the iPad was on market for the last two years, and that of course they would have more Apps. This is rubbish.
    You mean the fingertip magnet that back is?

So I need to expend a $66 on top of at least $500 in other to not be using a tablet with a nasty amount of fingertips?
    You mean fingerprints right?

I would be really scared if a tablet came shipped with fingertips.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    kjb86, gbp and simossoft like this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    The OS is in a Zombie-state because of the hardware and the optimization issues, only Rubenstein could get away with launching the same (failed) device three times in a row.

Also, I can use my free time for whatever like, and I like WebOS
    I think that it's great! I'm jealous that you have such an abundance of free tim that you can spend it posting on a forum of failure. I wish I had that much time. But, I do think you're wasting your talents of predicting product failure here on this forum, I think you should be out using your powers of deductive reasoning to save the world.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Apologies, there was a typo in my post. Corrected now.

As I said, I have no problems with the Wireless Charging feature and the size of the Touchpad. But DeWitt stated that people criticised the size of the Touchpad. He then made it out as if that size was a trade-off for the Touchstone capability. I think he should have eliminated the Touchstone support and work on making the device smaller. As cool as Wireless Charging is, I feel people only see Wired charging as a very mild inconvenience and definitely not a feature that would make someone pick the Touchpad over an iPad, especially when you have to fork out more money to make use of the feature.

As I said, I don't think DeWitt did himself any favours in the interview. He should have put his hand up and say yes we don't have as many Apps as the iPad (for example) and state what their intentions are to change this. Instead he gave us some BS with how the iPad was on market for the last two years, and that of course they would have more Apps. This is rubbish.
    But he did do that about apps. He stated that in 6 months time they don't want to be having these same conversations about apps.

Six months from now, we're going to have a very different discussion about apps. My hope is that in six months we're going to have a discussion about all of the new stuff that we brought to the market, all of the innovation that we've brought to the market, not just playing catch up, so our number is as big as somebody else's number.
    Did you completely ignore this? He did exactly what you say you want him to do.

Also, HP is trying to create a differentiated product that has its own ecosystem and going completely wireless is going to be a huge boon to the products.
    bluenote likes this.
  14.    #34  
    He stated his developer program initiatives in the CNET interview, see my post below. Interviews by their nature will vary slightly from one reporter to another, give him credit for making himself available right off, you are judging harshly here.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ml#post3028653
  15.    #35  
    I'm not complaining about *a few weeks for an OTA update". I'm complaining I need such an update in the first place. Even more, I don't believe them, I don't think the OTA update will matter, just like none matter on my smartphone.
    I watched my biz partner who is a power phone and email user successfully use a Pre2 w 2.1 for 24 hours while traveling as his laptop email program was corrupted.
    I don't see how you can say that the OTA's don't matter on the phones, if you really feel that way, why are you here instead of somewhere else with a different phone?

ps. this is one of the best threads on precentral I've participated in, I'm really enjoying peoples' responses.
    But he did do that about apps. He stated that in 6 months time they don't want to be having these same conversations about apps.

Did you completely ignore this? He did exactly what you say you want him to do.

Also, HP is trying to create a differentiated product that has its own ecosystem and going completely wireless is going to be a huge boon to the products.
    But that is easily said, but he never mentioned in this given interview how he plans this? I read elsewhere that as of the 1st July, more developers now have their hands on the Touchpad and can start to run and test their Apps on the Touchpad. As the Touchpad received only a lukewarm response in reviews, I don't believe many developers will want to create Apps for the device. They should have worked closer with Developers before the Touchpad was released, although I know they did this to an extent but clearly it hasn't been good enough.

One of the biggest flaws of the Pre was its lack of Apps in comparison to iOS/Android devices. HP knew this when they purchased Palm, and could of had a fresh start with the Touchpad. But instead they have brought the flaws of the Pre over to the Touchpad. But I do hope HP proves me wrong in six months and we see more new and innovative Apps for the Touchpad and future Pre devices.
  17.    #37  
    But that is easily said, but he never mentioned in this given interview how he plans this?...
    Smrt, you might want to read the CNET interview.
    Also you might want to read some case studies of successful products and how they grow in stages. DeWitt knows this firsthand, which is good for all of us.
    ...He just said the OTA updates were coming, but did not comment on the performance issues.
    Of course, the purpose of the updates will be ... to ... ummmm ... Well, do something other than improve the performance. Right?
    I was worried yesterday that HP's corporate culture will eventually bury webOS into oblivion like with iPaq and VoodooPC but this statement sold me: "the goal of bringing me on was to transform what has historically been a business defined by the gross margin and transaction (how many dollars can you eke out of a PC?), to a relationship-driven model. And that's what we've been working on. A ton of stuff has been accomplished. I'll bring that same passion for experience and global reach to webOS."

I liked this interview. He sounds rock solid confident and understands the vision.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I was worried yesterday that HP's corporate culture will eventually bury webOS into oblivion like with iPaq and VoodooPC but this statement sold me: "the goal of bringing me on was to transform what has historically been a business defined by the gross margin and transaction (how many dollars can you eke out of a PC?), to a relationship-driven model. And that's what we've been working on. A ton of stuff has been accomplished. I'll bring that same passion for experience and global reach to webOS."

I liked this interview. He sounds rock solid confident and understands the vision.
    Agreed. And he has the track record that shows he means what he says.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast